Ripper Owens - Bar Rescue

The one that started it all. Spreading gossip and insults since 1998.

Moderator: Metal Sludge

AlexVonHaig
Playing Decent Clubs in a Bus

Ripper Owens - Bar Rescue

Post by AlexVonHaig »

How's the food?
VinnieStJohn
Playing at a Friend's Party

Re: Ripper Owens - Bar Rescue

Post by VinnieStJohn »

The Tavern closed not too long after the 'rescue' - maybe 5 years ago?
BDG135
Platinum Artist

Post by BDG135 »

Never saw that episode. How was it?
Not everybody is on MetalShit.com and Blabberface fuckin’ dot net! Who cares? There’s such a small amount of people that do that. - Blotz
MetalSludgeCEO
Playing First Stage at SludgeFest

Post by MetalSludgeCEO »

TUFF played there 1x... soon after that make-over.

Ripper was very cool and got up on stage and did "You Got Another Thing Comin'" with us.

$tEvil
krisholmes
Playing Shitty Clubs in a Van

Post by krisholmes »

BDG135 wrote: Sat Oct 21, 2023 9:39 am Never saw that episode. How was it?
https://realitytvupdates.com/bar-rescue ... ock-house/
Tim Owens’ Traveler’s Tavern closed for good in September, 2016, around one year after the original Ripper’s Rock House Bar Rescue visit.

At the time of its closure, it had a solid 3.5 star rating on Yelp.
AliceManson
Headlining Clubs

Post by AliceManson »

I went to the bar he owned right before that. Ripper Owen's Tap House. It was a shithole.
EatTheGlass wrote: Sat Mar 26, 2022 8:26 am I'd bet my house that Grohl shuts the Foos down now
Nibbler wrote: Mon Aug 07, 2023 8:33 pm Looks like Alex has shitcanned the Van Hagar remasters.
MadmanShepherd

Post by MadmanShepherd »

Read an interview with Ripper about this episode and he said there was no tension at all. That bar guy was nice as could be the entire time he was there and once they started rolling he'd yell. They shut off the cameras and be like, "This is going really good guys!"

Fake ass show but yeah, I have to admit, I get suckered into watching garbage like this. Restaurant Impossible is another guilty pleasure.
This must be HELL for we are the damned...
EzyRider
Doing Package Tours in Theaters

Post by EzyRider »

I'm not sure why the food is so bad in Ohio, is it because the culinary highlight is Cincinnati Chili??

Ranked dead fucking last in this list >

The Great American Menu: Foods Of The States, Ranked And Mapped
https://deadspin.com/the-great-american ... 1349137024

Ohio

52. Cincinnati Chili (Ohio)
For the mercifully unacquainted, "Cincinnati chili," the worst regional foodstuff in America or anywhere else, is a horrifying diarrhea sludge (most commonly encountered in the guise of the "Skyline" brand) that Ohioans slop across plain spaghetti noodles and hot dogs as a way to make the rest of us feel grateful that our own shit-eating is (mostly) figurative. The only thing "chili" about it is the shiver that goes down your spine when you watch Ohio sports fans shoveling it into their maws on television and are forced to reckon with the cold reality that, for as desperately as you might cling to faltering notions of community and universality, ultimately your fellow human beings are as foreign and unknowable to you as the surface of Pluto, and you are alone and always have been and will die alone, a world unto yourself unmarked and unmapped and totally, hopelessly isolated.

But wait! This abominable garbage-gravy isn't just sensorily and spiritually disgusting—it's culturally grotesque, too! What began as an ethnic curio born of immigrant make-do—a Greek-owned chili parlor that took its "Skyline" name from its view of the city of Cincinnati—is now a hulking private-equity-owned corporate monolith that gins up interest in its unmistakably abhorrent product by engineering phony groups of "chili fanatics" to camp out in advance of the opening of new chains, in locations whose residents would otherwise see this shit-broth for what it is and take up torches and truncheons to drive it back into the wilderness.

Whatever virtue this bad-tasting Z-grade atrocity once contained derived from its exemplification of a set of certain cherished American fables—immigrant ingenuity, the cultural melting pot, old things combining into new things—and has now been totally swamped and consumed by different and infinitely uglier American realities: the commodification of culture; the transmutation of authentic artifacts of human life into hollow corporate brand divisions; the willingness of Americans to slop any horrible goddamn thing into their fucking mouths if it claims to contain some byproduct of a cow and comes buried beneath a pyramid of shredded, waxy, safety-cone-orange "cheese."

Cincinnati chili is the worst, saddest, most depressing goddamn thing in the world. If it came out of the end of your digestive system, you would turn the color of chalk and call an ambulance, but at least it'd make some sense. The people of Ohio see nothing wrong with inserting it into their mouths, which perhaps tells you everything you need to know about the Buckeye State. Don't eat it. Don't let your loved ones eat it.
It's good to be bad
It's the best time you'll ever have
What the hell is this ultra sad
Pray for your cool and work on that ass!
LAglamrocker
Playing First Stage at SludgeFest

Post by LAglamrocker »

My favorite chili story is definitely Wildside playing Cadillac Club in Fresno 1992
5$ dollar ticket on Wednesday with 1$ chili bowls

To this day I listen to Under The Influence eating chili

all those food shows are sports entertainment-good fun
Seems like bar rescue did a show for place on Redondo Pier
I can’t imagine ever visiting Ohio :lol:
Jani Lane and Bret Michaels should form a band called "Nelson II"
MadmanShepherd

Post by MadmanShepherd »

Cincinnati Chili is fucking amazing. Literally 4 out of 5 people I've told to try while passing through the area loves it. The other stupid 20% hate it.
This must be HELL for we are the damned...
DemonFilth2001
Signed to a Major Label Multi-Album Deal

Post by DemonFilth2001 »

MadmanShepherd wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2023 8:08 pm Cincinnati Chili is fucking amazing. Literally 4 out of 5 people I've told to try while passing through the area loves it. The other stupid 20% hate it.
There’s a place here in Charlotte that’s known for it. Been open for 30+ years. Place is always super busy.
KEYBOARD WARRIOR!
mrspeedgene
Headlining Clubs

Post by mrspeedgene »

Cincy Chili is NOT the best food in Ohio. That list is fucked.
They laughed at their gods
And fought them in vain
So he turned his
back on them
And left them in pain
BDG135
Platinum Artist

Post by BDG135 »

Some of the pictures of Cinci chili looked like it was overloaded with cheese. Hope it's a valid option to hold the cheese.
Not everybody is on MetalShit.com and Blabberface fuckin’ dot net! Who cares? There’s such a small amount of people that do that. - Blotz
DonJuanDeMarco
Headlining Clubs

Post by DonJuanDeMarco »

I got addicted to this show during the pandemic and watched every episode! This is one of the first episodes I ever saw.

I was never there myself but it looked like a good little metal/biker bar. Part of the makeover was a cool "wings around the world" concept where they had a ton of different sauces. I recommend checking it out. I think it's on Paramount Plus.
"You want Don Juan DeMarco, the world's greatest lover, to talk to you? What do you know of great love?"
Bonanchovie
Wannabe Rocker

Post by Bonanchovie »

I’ve had it several times. Always served covered in cheddar cheese. I like it.
Cindy Buzzedimisa

Post by Cindy Buzzedimisa »

I call it Cleveland chili but ya its just chili on spaghetti noodles. Works great as a hangover cure. My parents have eaten at Skyline and they said their chili sucks though.

I'll catch that episode but thing is I can't fucking stand Jon Taffer. Wasn't there an episode where he almost got his ass kicked? That was awesome.
DemonFilth2001
Signed to a Major Label Multi-Album Deal

Post by DemonFilth2001 »

Cindy Buzzedimisa wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2023 12:17 pm I call it Cleveland chili but ya its just chili on spaghetti noodles. Works great as a hangover cure. My parents have eaten at Skyline and they said their chili sucks though.

I'll catch that episode but thing is I can't fucking stand Jon Taffer. Wasn't there an episode where he almost got his ass kicked? That was awesome.
Had the frozen Skyline from the grocery store. Not good.
KEYBOARD WARRIOR!
GreatWhiteSnake
Playing a Package Tour in Arenas

Post by GreatWhiteSnake »

The Irish eat their chili on rice, which I found weird at first but can tolerate now. Much better than on spaghetti...
GWS video of the week Seven Seconds of Shred https://youtu.be/6DAqH3eKqEM?si=N2I9eU92_ovsb69d updated 3/9/24
https://soundcloud.com/crunch-104998557
BernieTaupson
Headlining Clubs

Post by BernieTaupson »

When is he appearing on Career Rescue?
AlexVonHaig

Post by AlexVonHaig »

DonJuanDeMarco wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2023 10:41 am I got addicted to this show during the pandemic and watched every episode! This is one of the first episodes I ever saw.

I was never there myself but it looked like a good little metal/biker bar. Part of the makeover was a cool "wings around the world" concept where they had a ton of different sauces. I recommend checking it out. I think it's on Paramount Plus.
The Pluto streaming app has a Bar Rescue channel. Taffer 24/7. The app is free
LovePowerFromTheMamaHead
Playing Shitty Clubs in a Van

Post by LovePowerFromTheMamaHead »

BDG135 wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2023 8:42 am Some of the pictures of Cinci chili looked like it was overloaded with cheese. Hope it's a valid option to hold the cheese.
You can. I order it "inverted". They put the cheese on the plate first, then the spaghetti noodles and the chili on the top. That way the cheese gets melted.

Anyway, my wife is from the Philippines . She hates Skyline, but our daughter loves it. We sent cans of it to the Philippines and her family loved it and asked if we could send more.

I don't like Gold Star chili, but Skyline is good. My favorite Cincinnati food would be LaRosas pizza though.

On St Patrick's day, Skyline serves the chili with green spaghetti.
ROADHEAD wrote:No, the book is live. I can see guys holding guitars in it. It's a live book.
DeathCurse wrote:A guy like Mamahead couldn't inspire anyone to hand over 5 bucks. He's not a douche, he's not awesome. He's just here.