GNR - The General and Monsters

The one that started it all. Spreading gossip and insults since 1998.

Moderator: Metal Sludge

MattleyCrue
Playing Decent Clubs in a Bus

GNR - The General and Monsters

Post by MattleyCrue »

It leaked! :D
LAglamrocker wrote:
Walk in Diesel store Melrose with Ashba gear commands respect, not sure you are allowed in with Walmart gear
Luigi
Playing Shitty Clubs in a Van

Re: GNR - The General and Monsters

Post by Luigi »

And Monsters is fucking amazing!

Can I post a streaming link?
I never post when I'm sober.
Zabooka

Post by Zabooka »

MattleyCrue wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2023 12:47 pm It leaked! :D
Where? Asking for a friend. PM me if you have to.
Psychobolia.com
Playing a Package Tour in Arenas
Location: Paris, France, land of sleaze and cheese, wine and whine

Post by Psychobolia.com »

The General: total crap...

Monsters: couldn't find it, is it on YouTube?!
Luigi
Playing Shitty Clubs in a Van

Post by Luigi »

The General has a very good chorus :D
I never post when I'm sober.
MattleyCrue

Post by MattleyCrue »

LOVE MONSTERS!

Slash’s tone sounds very Velvet Revolver like 🫶🏼
LAglamrocker wrote:
Walk in Diesel store Melrose with Ashba gear commands respect, not sure you are allowed in with Walmart gear
Chip Z'Hoy
Playing First Stage at SludgeFest

Post by Chip Z'Hoy »

"The General" should be called "Evil Madagascar." Some lyrical callbacks, even.

Not a good song.

"Monsters" sounds almost like the same song. Slightly better though. Axl's version of Faith No More. I don't mind this one all this much.

It's so weird how unfinished all these new songs sound. Really similar grooves and tempos, but almost no actual hooks.
LAglamrocker wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 3:56 pmClub was packed with Metal Edge fans 18-30..no stupid Rush Roll The Bones dipsh*ts
Chip Z'Hoy

Post by Chip Z'Hoy »

Psychobolia.com wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2023 1:06 pmMonsters: couldn't find it, is it on YouTube?!
If you like GNR, these songs really show their EVOLUTION.
LAglamrocker wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 3:56 pmClub was packed with Metal Edge fans 18-30..no stupid Rush Roll The Bones dipsh*ts
Chip Z'Hoy

Post by Chip Z'Hoy »

After a couple listens, I think I can say I actually like "Monsters." It's got an actual hook!

Of the new jams, I think "Monsters" and "Hard Skool" are the winners.

The rest are pretty crap, but maybe they'll grow on me.

I didn't like "I.R.S." or "The Blues" when I first heard them, now I like them a lot.
Zabooka

Post by Zabooka »

The versions I heard sound like demos. I hope those aren't the actual versions. And I agree, sounds like Faith No More.
Mister Freeze
Platinum Artist

Post by Mister Freeze »

Where do these song titles come from? Axl is writing his own Guns n' Roses fan fiction with these overblown lyrics.

"You're fucking crazy"... "I'm on the Nightrain." That's the shit I can get behind.
skunklovestiger wrote: A comment like this needs a really useless piece of shit. Well maybe you are used to get fucked by your mother in the basement. It would be better if somebody just kills you useless asshole. Just killl yourself shithead.
Psychobolia.com
Playing a Package Tour in Arenas
Location: Paris, France, land of sleaze and cheese, wine and whine

Post by Psychobolia.com »

Chip Z'Hoy wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2023 1:14 pm
Psychobolia.com wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2023 1:06 pmMonsters: couldn't find it, is it on YouTube?!
If you like GNR, these songs really show their EVOLUTION.
I do like GnR, but I'm not 100% sold on Axl's evolution, as it seems more like a solo effort than anything from their first 5 releases (yup, I actually dig Spaghetti Incident).

Granted, I do like most of Chinese Democracy, but am not a fan of the songs I've heard since that album.

I'll still be happy to check out the next real album, and will give a full JinglesXmasMouse review of said disc.
Ozzy Stradlin

Post by Ozzy Stradlin »

Could they write some new shit already, instead of putting out an endless barrage of Chinese Democracy holdovers?

And, if they need help, maybe they should call Izzy.
TheCULTofMANSON
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by TheCULTofMANSON »

Just heard it, its just a rough demo not meant to be heard yet. Im sure the completed version will be much better
RockSkar wrote:
Patton could sing anything that those other singers have ever sang. But none of them could sing Patton's catalog.
Itwalksamongus wrote:
Dude - did you, like, just get ass-fucked by Patton or something? You're really off the hook here.
Chip Z'Hoy

Post by Chip Z'Hoy »

TheCULTofMANSON wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2023 3:18 pm Just heard it, its just a rough demo not meant to be heard yet. Im sure the completed version will be much better
Where’d you get that?

“The General” is coming out in a month as the B-side of “Perhaps” after 20 years of the title floating around. What are the chances that it’s a leak of the demo—which, again, has not leaked in 20 years—instead of the official version that’s about the be released?

“Monsters” sounds like a finished version too.

Plus, neither of them sound like any of the other leaks.
Chip Z'Hoy

Post by Chip Z'Hoy »

If I had to guess, “Monsters” is on deck for the next release. They were probably leaked during the mastering.

But we’ll wait and see what CultOfMantits says.
MOOCH

Post by MOOCH »

Not loving “the general” after first listen. But “monsters” is actually pretty enjoyable. I still like Perhaps a bit more, but Monsters is second as far as the 4 songs from the last few years.
Zabooka

Post by Zabooka »

Ozzy Stradlin wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2023 3:08 pm Could they write some new shit already, instead of putting out an endless barrage of Chinese Democracy holdovers?

I know it's beating dead horse but It's so disappointing as a fan, that a band that came up with AFD, and UYI to a lesser extent, can't get their act together and come up with some new shit.
There were a few decent tracks from CD, but the rest was Axl trying to be Elton. It's been 15 years since a full album came out, 17 before that. 2 fucking studio albums in 32 fucking years?

There's not enough talent to come up with 10 fresh new, ball kicking tracks? The best they can do is dust off 20 year old, mediocre CD leftovers, and have Slash do a solo over it?
MattleyCrue

Post by MattleyCrue »

Monsters is sounding awesome in the car right now. It is cranked all the way up
LAglamrocker wrote:
Aerosmith87
Opening Act in Arenas

Post by Aerosmith87 »

If anyone could DM me either/both of those tracks, would appreciate it
Chip Z'Hoy

Post by Chip Z'Hoy »

Zabooka wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2023 4:25 pm
Ozzy Stradlin wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2023 3:08 pm Could they write some new shit already, instead of putting out an endless barrage of Chinese Democracy holdovers?

I know it's beating dead horse but It's so disappointing as a fan, that a band that came up with AFD, and UYI to a lesser extent, can't get their act together and come up with some new shit.
There were a few decent tracks from CD, but the rest was Axl trying to be Elton. It's been 15 years since a full album came out, 17 before that. 2 fucking studio albums in 32 fucking years?

There's not enough talent to come up with 10 fresh new, ball kicking tracks? The best they can do is dust off 20 year old, mediocre CD leftovers, and have Slash do a solo over it?
It's such a bummer.

I really like "Hard Skool" but it's not a friggin' Tool song. They could write five songs just as good in a week.

I think it's a different vibe now, post-Chinese. With that album, it was like "We have to completely rebuild Guns N' Roses from the ground up." After that album tanked, and the scabs kept bailing, I think Axl just gave up on making GN'R anything more than what they are now.

Their peers are pretty much doing the same thing. The Stones only just now put out a new album, after like 18 years. Aerosmith hasn't done anything new in 11 years. Motley--just random tracks on greatest hits albums since SoLA, 15 years ago.

Van Halen--forget about it. Even if Ed was alive, they wouldn't be doing jack shit.

So they're not alone, it's just that Guns really only has three albums! Throw in Lies and Spaghetti--okay, now you got five.
Don't Damn Me
Debut Album Goes Gold

Post by Don't Damn Me »

What the f is this crap?

How hard is it to write a fucking rock song? These songs reek of the outdated ambition responsible for one of the biggest failures in Rock history. No matter how you spin it, Chinese Democracy was a lifeless overly complicated dud. No one could relate to it.

So now are we going to have to wait until every Chinese Democracy outtake is released before we put Slash to work? This soulless crap is devoid of his dynamic melodic sound that fucking identified the Guns n' Roses that the people continue to pay to see. Izzy made masterpieces out of three chords. Axl's penchant for throwing in the kitchen sink only serves to tarnish his legend.

Way too much thought was put into these songs. Its possible theyve been modified over 20 years, only amounting to polishing turds. Instead of making us want to rock, they encourage contemplation. And the fans are excited because they hear something resembling a chorus.

Guns n' Roses were once credited with saving rock and roll. The good news is they can't destroy it - because this shit ain't close.