Guns N' Roses "The General" and "Monsters"...

The one that started it all. Spreading gossip and insults since 1998.

Moderator: Metal Sludge

JackieDaytona
Buying Cool Stage Clothes

Guns N' Roses "The General" and "Monsters"...

Post by JackieDaytona »

Seems these may have been lifted of a poorly pressed 7" and here they are for you.
Management has pushed the release back to 8th of December so they can be made right.

https://krakenfiles.com/view/PWNuPHPav9/file.html - The General

https://krakenfiles.com/view/N6rZbhhris/file.html - Monsters
Lover, fighter, songbird, regular human bartender, friend.
Jason Jennifer Leigh
Headlining Clubs

Re: Guns N' Roses "The General" and "Monsters"...

Post by Jason Jennifer Leigh »

Thanks
Mojo
Playing First Stage at SludgeFest

Post by Mojo »

Well, "The General" is obnoxious throwaway drivel.

Oh. So is "Monsters." Damn.
Rooster wrote: I hunt with a handgun.
pieceofme wrote: Yeah, Mojo is a lot of peoples favourite!
keyofgee wrote: I am a free thinker
Image Image
GoodJudge
Playing Decent Clubs in a Bus

Post by GoodJudge »

30 seconds after i finished listening to them and I can't remember a thing about them, except that's got to be a drum machine in the quiet parts of The General. The best Jingles-style review I can think of just now is: tedious.
schlonginski
Opening for Slaughter

Post by schlonginski »

both links are already down :mrgreen:
Jason Jennifer Leigh
Headlining Clubs

Post by Jason Jennifer Leigh »

Is that a new vocal on Monsters?
Don't Damn Me
Debut Album Goes Gold

Post by Don't Damn Me »

Mojo wrote: Sat Oct 28, 2023 9:49 pm Well, "The General" is obnoxious throwaway drivel.

Oh. So is "Monsters." Damn.
Well, there's some merit for being two for two, I guess...
FreddyFender
Headlining Clubs

Post by FreddyFender »

This is depressing.

I would argue that new songs of this quality can hurt attendance more than they can help it.
VinceVanLane
Playing Frat Parties

Post by VinceVanLane »

Jason Jennifer Leigh wrote: Sun Oct 29, 2023 6:54 am Is that a new vocal on Monsters?
Absolutely not. They were all recorded around 2000, so 23 years ago. That screaming part he does around 2:50 is the most Axl sounding thing they've put out since Use Your Illusions. But there's zero chance that's new.

Both songs are more throwaways. If the name Guns N Roses wasn't attached to these songs, you'd think it was from some unsigned band that would never go anywhere.
Wednesday 13 Fan

Post by Wednesday 13 Fan »

FreddyFender wrote: Sun Oct 29, 2023 9:19 am This is depressing.

I would argue that new songs of this quality can hurt attendance more than they can help it.
I would argue most won't even care....or even be aware they have new songs out.
kc primo
Pimping Your Demo At Shows

Post by kc primo »

The demo of the General sounded way better. But now it
sounds more like monster. Wtf is Axl doing?
All the new songs are weak and forgettable.
To get Slash and Duff to sign on for the “new music” had to have been humbling. But it obviously pays a ton when the tour money piles in
I wish Slash would’ve gotten a better singer than Myles.
Michael Monroe would’ve been awesome… even Bach would’ve made Slash’s solo career better. These new GNR tunes make Motleys SOLA look like a masterpiece.
SterileEyes1
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by SterileEyes1 »

Anyone have fresh links they can DM?

Meanwhile, I continue to not at all understand what people are expecting when it comes to new or ‘new’ material from these guys. Axl and Duff are almost certainly worth the higher end of nine figures, they’re 60 years old, there is no money to be made or appreciation to be had from new material, if they make Appetite-sounding stuff they’re trying too hard, and if they make anything else they’re failing to live up to their past. I’m amazed they even bother.

They do three hour shows and everyone’s happy. Win/win for them and their fans. I don’t blame them at all for being a mostly touring entity.
My Video Covers: https://www.youtube.com/@therealjeffstein/

"Diary Of A Madman"
"Aja"
"Atlas, Rise!"
“Sludge Factory”
"Locomotive"

My Original Music: https://jeffstein.bandcamp.com
Zabooka

Post by Zabooka »

SterileEyes1 wrote: Sun Oct 29, 2023 9:49 amMeanwhile, I continue to not at all understand what people are expecting when it comes to new or ‘new’ material from these guys. Axl and Duff are almost certainly worth the higher end of nine figures, they’re 60 years old, there is no money to be made or appreciation to be had from new material, if they make Appetite-sounding stuff they’re trying too hard, and if they make anything else they’re failing to live up to their past. I’m amazed they even bother.
Most bands where the guys are in their later years aren’t going to be putting out their best stuff, and reasonable fans understand that.

It’s the fact that Axl/Slash/Duff have not written anything new together since 1991, and they’ve been back for 7 years now. All they can do is tweak ChiDem crap from 20 years ago? They wrote AFD, they can’t come up with new stuff that’s at least some what decent? If they made 2 songs a year since the reunion, they’d have 14 tracks by now.

There are tons of older bands still putting stuff out. Again, most likely not as good, but there’s usually a few good tracks.

It’s like GNR has dementia and have forgotten how to start a new song from scratch.
FreddyFender
Headlining Clubs

Post by FreddyFender »

Zabooka wrote: Sun Oct 29, 2023 10:12 am
SterileEyes1 wrote: Sun Oct 29, 2023 9:49 amMeanwhile, I continue to not at all understand what people are expecting when it comes to new or ‘new’ material from these guys. Axl and Duff are almost certainly worth the higher end of nine figures, they’re 60 years old, there is no money to be made or appreciation to be had from new material, if they make Appetite-sounding stuff they’re trying too hard, and if they make anything else they’re failing to live up to their past. I’m amazed they even bother.
Most bands where the guys are in their later years aren’t going to be putting out their best stuff, and reasonable fans understand that.

It’s the fact that Axl/Slash/Duff have not written anything new together since 1991, and they’ve been back for 7 years now. All they can do is tweak ChiDem crap from 20 years ago? They wrote AFD, they can’t come up with new stuff that’s at least some what decent? If they made 2 songs a year since the reunion, they’d have 14 tracks by now.

There are tons of older bands still putting stuff out. Again, most likely not as good, but there’s usually a few good tracks.

It’s like GNR has dementia and have forgotten how to start a new song from scratch.
Yeah exactly. The new Metallica stuff is not mandatory, but if you're a fan it's cool to have solid new music to listen to. Same with the Stones. Lots of older bands are putting out decent stuff.

You're telling me they can't cook up some 5-4-1 rock n' roll that's at least listenable?

Taking these tunes from the early 2000s that weren't good enough for Chinese Democracy and just having Slash play new leads on them is pointless and weird.
Last edited by FreddyFender on Sun Oct 29, 2023 11:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mojo

Post by Mojo »

SterileEyes1 wrote: Sun Oct 29, 2023 9:49 am Anyone have fresh links they can DM?

Meanwhile, I continue to not at all understand what people are expecting when it comes to new or ‘new’ material from these guys. Axl and Duff are almost certainly worth the higher end of nine figures, they’re 60 years old, there is no money to be made or appreciation to be had from new material, if they make Appetite-sounding stuff they’re trying too hard, and if they make anything else they’re failing to live up to their past. I’m amazed they even bother.

They do three hour shows and everyone’s happy. Win/win for them and their fans. I don’t blame them at all for being a mostly touring entity.
You're excusing them because you're a fan.
They're putting out shit, plain and simple. No one, least of all here, expects Appetite Part Deux. Out of places like this, no one expects anything at all.

Slash still puts out a new rock album a year. Duff writes a ton of shit, both for himself and others.

I would respect them for coming together and writing anything new. I'd be interested in a fucking jazz album from these guys. I do not, however, respect slapping a Slash solo on 25 year old shit that wasn't good enough to be released then, let alone now, and calling it Guns n' Roses. It's a slap in the face to the fans and it's a slap in the face to Slash and Duff.
You are absolutely right in one thing: I don't understand why they bother to release anything at all, at this point.
Image Image
Nate S Axel

Post by Nate S Axel »

It's obvious they've made big money since the reunion -- 7th highest-grossing tour of all-time (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_h ... cert_tours).

I wonder what changed with Axl's "relationship" between Slash and Duff. Money talks, but going from "not in this lifetime" to multi-year tours now without any sign or mention of tension is impressive. They aren't BFFs but everybody seems to be getting along fine to continue touring.

Maybe that was his compromise; keep the touring machine running, but no chance of going in the studio to record. It would be cool to hear new music, but they aren't playing to massive crowds here and overseas because people care about new songs.
https://www.last.fm/user/SundownDevil
LAglamrocker wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2023 10:45 am I can’t believe people actually don’t live in So Cal/ San Diego/Vegas circle ..waste of life
JackieDaytona

Post by JackieDaytona »

The reason they keep putting out this old shit that wasn't any good to release 20 years ago is because it's the only songs left where Axl sounds sort of okay singing. The dude can't fucking sing anymore.
There's not gonna be new GNR music with Axl singing as he sounds today because he can't do it. They could write the next "Welcome To The Jungle" tomorrow but it's not gonna matter if your singer can't sing the song. He sounds rough even when he sang some of these Chinese Democracy outtakes 20 years ago so he's not gonna sound better now. He's too vain to let people hear how he sounds now, and that's respectful enough, but these old sucky songs don't help their cause either. The reason they keep putting this shit out is because it gives them an excuse to keep touring and not look like they're just a legacy band and that they are still doing something. It's their only option left.
kc primo
Pimping Your Demo At Shows

Post by kc primo »

Rolling Stones Hackney Diamonds is a 10 all day
Axl needs to stop the bs and get back to the legit music the fans want to hear. We’ve supported him more than we should have
most of us don’t want to hear piano with weak guitar overtones from Slash and Duff. They must be getting paid a fortune for the new tunes. Yeah the tour money makes them sign on the dotted line but damn….new tunes are ruining this
Mojo

Post by Mojo »

JackieDaytona wrote: Sun Oct 29, 2023 11:04 am The reason they keep putting out this old shit that wasn't any good to release 20 years ago is because it's the only songs left where Axl sounds sort of okay singing. The dude can't fucking sing anymore.
There's not gonna be new GNR music with Axl singing as he sounds today because he can't do it. They could write the next "Welcome To The Jungle" tomorrow but it's not gonna matter if your singer can't sing the song. He sounds rough even when he sang some of these Chinese Democracy outtakes 20 years ago so he's not gonna sound better now. He's too vain to let people hear how he sounds now, and that's respectful enough, but these old sucky songs don't help their cause either. The reason they keep putting this shit out is because it gives them an excuse to keep touring and not look like they're just a legacy band and that they are still doing something. It's their only option left.
He could easily sing in his "It's So Easy" register.
Image Image
JackieDaytona

Post by JackieDaytona »

Mojo wrote: Sun Oct 29, 2023 11:20 am
JackieDaytona wrote: Sun Oct 29, 2023 11:04 am The reason they keep putting out this old shit that wasn't any good to release 20 years ago is because it's the only songs left where Axl sounds sort of okay singing. The dude can't fucking sing anymore.
He could easily sing in his "It's So Easy" register.
Fair enough, he could.
Ryan81
Headlining Clubs

Post by Ryan81 »

He sounded so good with AC/DC too. I wonder if he messed his voice up permanently during that gig?
chungasrevenge
Playing a Package Tour in Arenas

Post by chungasrevenge »

Christ. All we've learned from these tracks is that none were good enough for CD and Axl has Slash and Duff by the balls. At least someone in management knew they would get skewered if they released these as a new album. Makes you pine for the days of the Spaghetti Incident.
Ziggy Sawdust
Doing Package Tours in Theaters

Post by Ziggy Sawdust »

Meanwhile Duff and Slash continue to release forgettable crap with side projects. All those decades in the wilderness wanting back in GNR and creatively nothing is inspiring them.
Hell'sHungryChild wrote:
I have no desire to pay $150 to see an ant sized Ac/Dc and drink $12 beer cups.
TheCULTofMANSON
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by TheCULTofMANSON »

Fake news. Ive seen GNR before slash and duff returned and 4 times since, he still sounds fantastic like he always has
RockSkar wrote:
Patton could sing anything that those other singers have ever sang. But none of them could sing Patton's catalog.
Itwalksamongus wrote:
Dude - did you, like, just get ass-fucked by Patton or something? You're really off the hook here.
SterileEyes1
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by SterileEyes1 »

I just don’t get why it matters so much. They don’t want to, so they don’t. Billy Joel hasn’t in 30 years, he’s still Billy Freaking Joel and giving audiences 2+ hour shows *of the stuff the crowd actually wants to hear* well into his 70s.

We’re just sort of in this new-ish era of bands touring into their 60s and beyond where the expectations are all over the place. If The Stones never put anything out after Voodoo Lounge or even Tattoo You, would 99% of their audience even care? I don’t get why bands like GN’R and System Of A Down get so much shit for not doing new stuff when it’s all doomed to not make money and inspire live crowds to hit the pisser no matter how good it ends up being.

Mojo wrote: Sun Oct 29, 2023 10:31 am
You're excusing them because you're a fan.

Nah. I’m not here to defend the quality of the three they’ve put out so far. Not into it at all honestly and I think they’re a drag on the shows in a way the CD material isn’t. Only reason it doesn’t piss me off is because big picture it’s 12 minutes of a 180+ minute show.

Just saying, fans are ridiculous. They put a ton of effort into their shows and that’s obviously their main focus. I go on message boards and people are like personally offended that the ‘new’ stuff isn’t amazing or that they aren’t releasing albums and stuff.

It’s also a matter of taste. You don’t respect them slapping a bass line and solo over CD leftovers, I wouldn’t be any more interested in Axl singing over Slash or Duff’s solo material. And when it comes to then writing together, assuming they haven’t been, I’m going with the “never force a fart” analogy.
Last edited by SterileEyes1 on Sun Oct 29, 2023 10:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

"Diary Of A Madman"
"Aja"
"Atlas, Rise!"
“Sludge Factory”
"Locomotive"

endstand

Post by endstand »

Like said, nobody is expecting them to come out with new Appetite.

But digging 20 + year old demos that weren’t good enough to release to begin with and not even re-recording the parts (which literally would take one day, tops). One could argue that they could do better than that.
SterileEyes1
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by SterileEyes1 »

^^^

I’m sure they could do better, just saying new material is a thankless task any way you slice it from their perspective, or the perspective of almost any band at their age and success level.

Maybe Axl just wants his vault out there, I don’t know. It all comes across as very ‘take it or leave it’ to me the way they barely promote it other than a one-and-done press release each time they’ve put one of these songs out. They’re not exactly granting interviews and reciting some company line about Hard Skool being the best thing they’ve ever done or whatever most bands do when they plug new releases.

"Diary Of A Madman"
"Aja"
"Atlas, Rise!"
“Sludge Factory”
"Locomotive"

endstand

Post by endstand »

SterileEyes1 wrote: Sun Oct 29, 2023 10:30 pm ^^^

I’m sure they could do better, just saying new material is a thankless task any way you slice it from their perspective, or the perspective of almost any band at their age and success level.

Maybe Axl just wants his vault out there, I don’t know. It all comes across as very ‘take it or leave it’ to me the way they barely promote it other than a one-and-done press release each time they’ve put one of these songs out. They’re not exactly granting interviews and reciting some company line about Hard Skool being the best thing they’ve ever done or whatever most bands do when they plug new releases.
Yeah, that’s a valid perspective too.

It definitely seems that Axl just want to put the songs out since they haven’t been promoting the singles…at all. So they prolly might not have any expectations nor strategy to actually move a needle with these (getting radio play or treating these as a priority releases leading up to an album or whatever).

So maybe they are just: ”Let’s drop these for fun”.
SterileEyes1
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by SterileEyes1 »

Yep. Sure seems that way to me. Axl doesn’t even introduce the songs during the shows, other than the very first time they’ve played each of them. They just run through them and move on.

"Diary Of A Madman"
"Aja"
"Atlas, Rise!"
“Sludge Factory”
"Locomotive"

alexleehooker

Post by alexleehooker »

without Izzy, West Arkeen, or re-heating anything leftover from their Hollywood Rose co-writers COULD THOSE THREE EVER write a song from scratch? Their solo outputs since the mid 90s suggest not so much, got be honest.