Got a spare half million? Mark Knopfler guitar auction in January

The one that started it all. Spreading gossip and insults since 1998.

Moderator: Metal Sludge

GoodJudge
Playing Decent Clubs in a Bus

Got a spare half million? Mark Knopfler guitar auction in January

Post by GoodJudge »

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-67475099

Dire Straits star Mark Knopfler is to auction more than 120 of his guitars and amps, with 25% of the proceeds going to charity.

The sale includes the 1983 Les Paul that Knopfler used to record the hits Money For Nothing and Brothers In Arms, and which he played on stage at Live Aid in 1985.

The singer-songwriter told the BBC he wanted the instruments to find loving homes.

"I hope they all get played," he said. "I don't think they do too well living in a case all their lives."

The collection, which will be auctioned at Christie's in London next January, spans the entirety of Knopfler's 50-year career.

Among the lots is a 1959 Gibson Les Paul with a sunburst finish, known as the "Holy Grail of electric guitars", which has an estimate of £300,000 to £500,000.

-‐-------

More in the link for those who are interested. Sorry Huey, I don't think he plays anything pointy.
DiamondDog
MSX Tour Support Act

Re: Got a spare half million? Mark Knopfler guitar auction in January

Post by DiamondDog »

I admittedly know nothing about guitars, but you have to think that the pedigree of that "Live Aid played, used in the recording of Brothers In Arms" '83 will give that '59 holy grail a run for its money.
skunklovestiger wrote:Beeing funny is ok, beeing stupid is not !!
El Vampiro Blanco
Headlining Clubs

Post by El Vampiro Blanco »

It sure beats $35.000 one song played Paul Stanley guitars!
And 25% to charity is pretty good. How much does an auction house take? 15%?
GoodJudge
Playing Decent Clubs in a Bus

Post by GoodJudge »

So it turns out that half a million pounds (currently $634,000) wouldn't even have been enough for any of the three most significant guitars.

Selected highlights copied below, more in the link if you're interested.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-68160058

Guitars and amplifiers belonging to Dire Straits star Mark Knopfler have sold for more than £8m at auction - much higher than had been estimated.

Knopfler sold more than more than 120 of his guitars and amps, with 25% of the proceeds going to charity.

The sale was led by Knopfler's 1959 Vintage Gibson Les Paul Standard, which sold for £693,000, setting a new world auction record for the model.

The London auction saw registered bidders and buyers from 61 countries, with a final total including buyer's premium, confirmed at £8,840,160.

Knopfler's 1988 Pensa-Suhr MK-1, which he played at Nelson Mandela's 70th birthday tribute concert at Wembley Stadium, sold for £504,000 despite having an estimate of just £8,000.

Elsewhere, the Red Schecter Telecaster, which Knopfler purchased in 1984 to record hit Dire Straits song Walk Of Life, went under the hammer for £415,800, well above its £6,000 estimate.

The guitar Knopfler played to record and perform Solid Rock had an estimate of £6,000 but sold for £277,000.

The sale also included the 1983 Les Paul that Knopfler used to record Money For Nothing and Brothers In Arms, and which he played on stage at Live Aid in 1985. It had an estimated price of £10,000-£15,000 but sold for £592,000.

And the first electric-acoustic guitar Knopfler owned had an estimate of £5,000 but sold for £126,000.
maninblack
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by maninblack »

When I saw the brothers in arms track on TV, a live version from Israel, I was amazed, and still am. Knopfler is extremely talented. Romeo and Juliette is another supreme masterpiece.
GreatWhiteSnake
Playing a Package Tour in Arenas

Post by GreatWhiteSnake »

Of course Les Paul wins again...
GWS video of the week Seven Seconds of Shred https://youtu.be/6DAqH3eKqEM?si=N2I9eU92_ovsb69d updated 3/9/24
https://soundcloud.com/crunch-104998557
Lobo
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by Lobo »

I grew up on music videos in the 80's and I love rock music so I guess I'd be the demographic that would be somewhat interested in the results of an auction like this.

But I still don't find Dire Straits all that great of a band. I know all the hits that were on the radio and had videos but not much outside of that. So, I decided to go through their entire library of albums a few years ago to see what the deep cuts were like and I couldn't find more than 4 good tunes on any one album.

I know they were hugely popular and broke up at the height of their popularity, but I find them extremely overrated.

The guitars in this collection are worth money regardless of who owned or played them because of how old they are. I find it kind of strange that they are worth more just because Mark Knopfler played them and recorded albums with them.

This isn't Zeppelin, The Who, The Beatles, EVH, Hendrix or even Clapton (and I'm no fan of his).

What am I missing here.
maninblack
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by maninblack »

The £693,000 achieved is a world record for a 1959 Les Paul.

Music aficionados, fans and collectors from 61 countries registered to bid in the auction, which lasted over six hours.

Link

https://planetradio.co.uk/planet-rock/n ... r-auction/
maninblack
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by maninblack »

In the link above and also below this, there is a list of the worlds most expensive guitars. It is below the bit about Knopflers auction.

https://planetradio.co.uk/planet-rock/n ... r-auction/
EzyRider
Doing Package Tours in Theaters

Post by EzyRider »

Lobo wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 1:26 pm I grew up on music videos in the 80's and I love rock music so I guess I'd be the demographic that would be somewhat interested in the results of an auction like this.

But I still don't find Dire Straits all that great of a band. I know all the hits that were on the radio and had videos but not much outside of that. So, I decided to go through their entire library of albums a few years ago to see what the deep cuts were like and I couldn't find more than 4 good tunes on any one album.

I know they were hugely popular and broke up at the height of their popularity, but I find them extremely overrated.

The guitars in this collection are worth money regardless of who owned or played them because of how old they are. I find it kind of strange that they are worth more just because Mark Knopfler played them and recorded albums with them.

This isn't Zeppelin, The Who, The Beatles, EVH, Hendrix or even Clapton (and I'm no fan of his).

What am I missing here.
There could be some tax angle for the uber wealthy. Put your money into 'art', and charity is always a tax write off.

The Subtle “Art” of Billionaire Tax Evasion- An Asset class for the Ultra-Rich
https://therepresentative.co.in/the-sub ... ltra-rich/
It's good to be bad
It's the best time you'll ever have
What the hell is this ultra sad
Pray for your cool and work on that ass!