Hip-Hop in the 80s and 90s

The one that started it all. Spreading gossip and insults since 1998.

Moderator: Metal Sludge

BDG135
Platinum Artist

Hip-Hop in the 80s and 90s

Post by BDG135 »

How many of you liked Hip-Hop in the 80s or 90s? Did you buy any of the albums? There was a big difference in culture as far as dress and language. Many Rock/Metal people didn't like Rap/Hip-Hop and vice versa.
Not everybody is on MetalShit.com and Blabberface fuckin’ dot net! Who cares? There’s such a small amount of people that do that. - Blotz
DemonFilth2001
Signed to a Major Label Multi-Album Deal

Re: Hip-Hop in the 80s and 90s

Post by DemonFilth2001 »

Hated almost all of it. But today’s is 1000x worse.
KEYBOARD WARRIOR!
whiteowl yesterday
Playing Decent Clubs in a Bus

Post by whiteowl yesterday »

DemonFilth2001 wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 10:06 am Hated almost all of it. But today’s is 1000x worse.

i don't like hip-hop or rap.
"artist formerly known as midnighttoker"
kytepunches
Doing 20 Questions with Metal Sludge

Post by kytepunches »

I did enjoy some of it , right up until everyone wanted to be NWA. Then it was no fun at all .
Whatever Happened To…
Headlining Clubs

Post by Whatever Happened To… »

Only ever liked All Hell's Breakin' Loose and I'm The Man. The rest of it was garbage.
Turner Coates
Playing First Stage at SludgeFest

Post by Turner Coates »

BDG135 wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 9:57 am How many of you liked Hip-Hop in the 80s or 90s? Did you buy any of the albums? There was a big difference in culture as far as dress and language. Many Rock/Metal people didn't like Rap/Hip-Hop and vice versa.
Never got into it.
I can appreciate it as a form of expression for some folks, but that's about it.
When baggy saggy pants were the "cool thang," I was standing in line at a store behind a beautiful gal. I'd guess she had a 26 inch waist, but the tag on her Levis was "40."
YUCK! That's like a hot fudge sundae made with liver.

"If someone on this committee then starts talking about somebody's bleach blond, bad-built butch body, that would not be engaging in personalities, correct?"
MetalSludgeCEO
Playing First Stage at SludgeFest

Post by MetalSludgeCEO »

In the 80's I liked a bunch of it, including Ice T, Beastie Boys, RUN DMC, Two Live Crew, LL Cool J & N.W.A..

Our drummer Michael was into it even more, and we had early releases and demo tapes of a lot of the bands, just like we had hard rock or heavy metal advances.

Lots of typical heavy metal fans hate it from the start and that is why they are still screaming for Van Halen, Motley Crue or Ozzy to play the Super Bowl. :roll:

The only bands, anywhere inside the hard or heavy category that have a snowball's chance in hell to play the SB are Metallica or Guns N' Roses.

There is plenty of great modern era rap and hip-hop out there as well... while I don't like every artist or all of their songs, there is a lot of great stuff.

Same applies with Country music, then and now... and then there are some who seemingly have crossed all of the above, Kid Rock is a great example.

Post Malone is another solid example, where his music touches on a lot of styles, and it works... very well I might add.

I find it funny when some people take such a hard stance on saying it all sucks... but to each their own.

$tEvil
BDG135
Platinum Artist

Post by BDG135 »

After Nu Metal became popular, there seemed to be less of a dividing line between Rap and Metal and there was more crossover.
Not everybody is on MetalShit.com and Blabberface fuckin’ dot net! Who cares? There’s such a small amount of people that do that. - Blotz
CrankerBait
Playing Shitty Clubs in a Van

Post by CrankerBait »

Not all 80s and early 90s hip-hop was good, but some it was alright. I either lost interest and/or it got significantly worse as the 90s came to a close. Occasionally, I hear a track that seems to have something special, but those moments are few and far between.
DemonFilth2001

Post by DemonFilth2001 »

Some 80’s was tolerable. Today’s stuff is pure SHIT. Horrible simplistic lyrics. Mumbling and auto tune…if they include a melody. Casio keyboard.
KEYBOARD WARRIOR!
TravisBicklesMohawk
Headlining a Theater Tour

Post by TravisBicklesMohawk »

Loved it! Public Enemy, Beastie Boys, Ice Cube have made some of my all time fave music.
The Tao of Pooh
Image Image
prog
Playing Shitty Clubs in a Van

Post by prog »

I was really into rap and hip hop until around 94. The early 80s stuff had a huge electro and disco influence which I thought was great (sampling Kraftwerk!), and it was a breath of fresh air. Then you had socially conscious artists like public enemy and Eric b and rakim - a more aggressive take on the genre, ultimately culminating in gangsta rap like nwa. Dark and aggressive rap. Awesome. I was maybe 11 at the time but found it to be absolutely wild in a good way. Then gangsta rap started fading in favor of the party music which was abysmal. Mercifully, this was around the time I discovered metal, so no love was lost.

I don’t have much time for modern rap and hip hop, but there’s some solid stuff in the underground.

Take Dalek for example. They sound like a mix of swans, Godflesh, and public enemy. Really good.

Try ever somber or subversive script and tel me it’s not bad ass and VERY heavy.
sicktwistedfreak
Opening for Slaughter

Post by sicktwistedfreak »

MetalSludgeCEO wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 11:05 am In the 80's I liked a bunch of it, including Ice T, Beastie Boys, RUN DMC, Two Live Crew, LL Cool J & N.W.A..

Our drummer Michael was into it even more, and we had early releases and demo tapes of a lot of the bands, just like we had hard rock or heavy metal advances.

Lots of typical heavy metal fans hate it from the start and that is why they are still screaming for Van Halen, Motley Crue or Ozzy to play the Super Bowl. :roll:

The only bands, anywhere inside the hard or heavy category that have a snowball's chance in hell to play the SB are Metallica or Guns N' Roses.

There is plenty of great modern era rap and hip-hop out there as well... while I don't like every artist or all of their songs, there is a lot of great stuff.

Same applies with Country music, then and now... and then there are some who seemingly have crossed all of the above, Kid Rock is a great example.

Post Malone is another solid example, where his music touches on a lot of styles, and it works... very well I might add.

I find it funny when some people take such a hard stance on saying it all sucks... but to each their own.

$tEvil
I was with you up until you mentioned country music. I didn't like it yesterday, don't like it today and won't like it tomorrow.

There is a ton of great music out there and I can appreciate almost all of it on some level. I love Sinatra/Ella Fitzgerald as well as new wave/house/club music from the 80's and 90's. All of that music is on my playlist to this day.
Whether it's his outer glaze or cream-filled insides, King Ding Dong gets his subjects filthy!
Psychobolia.com
Playing a Package Tour in Arenas
Location: Paris, France, land of sleaze and cheese, wine and whine

Post by Psychobolia.com »

Old school rap kicks ass: the first Beasties, the first 3 Ice Cube albums, the self-titled Geto Boys album (the one produced by Rick Rubin), N.W.A., Eminem's Recovery, As Nasty As They Wanna Be (2 Live Crew), all of that shit is DOPE!

I've been checking out tons of more recent rap, but strangely enough the only ones I like are the female rappers: Flo Milli, Megan Thee Stallion and City Girls.
itdoesntmatter
Headlining Clubs

Post by itdoesntmatter »

A lot of the golden age rappers were real "rock stars." I always find it funny when supposed rock fans criticize hip-hop for not being conformist enough. Or, if you listen to somewhat obscure rock or other genre music but judge all hip-hop by the most formulaic generic pop mass appeal variety.
Tommy2Tone84

Post by Tommy2Tone84 »

I wasn’t at the time but I dabbled. It’s much better than the crowd here wants to give it credit for.