RATE A COVER 1-10 ... Stevie Rachelle "You're Crazy" (Guns N' Roses) with Tracii Guns & Gilby Clarke

The one that started it all. Spreading gossip and insults since 1998.

Moderator: Metal Sludge

MetalSludgeCEO
Playing First Stage at SludgeFest

RATE A COVER 1-10 ... Stevie Rachelle "You're Crazy" (Guns N' Roses) with Tracii Guns & Gilby Clarke

Post by MetalSludgeCEO »

I sang this about 25 years ago...give or take, I see online it says """"from A Tribute To Guns N' Roses, released November 22, 2019 """""

Which means I recorded it at some point in 2019... wow... 25 years already?

Damn... and here is the question... how much did I get paid for this?

Answer... $ 500.00!

The track was already recorded by the band.... all of the tracks are or were, usually done by the same band.

The label hires drummer, bassist, and guitarist, they work up the songs... and go record all 10-12 or whatever is being used for this release.

Then the label rep, reaches out to the singers, or 'star' lead guitarists, to add leads, and offers them a deal, contract, 1-off, etc...

This was in the 90's and all of this music was all but dead, or useless to most of the industry... but, regardless there was some fan base.

I must have done 25-30 of these... and they would pay between $500 and $2,000.00 each.

They would send me a list of songs available, and say, "Which 1 do you want to do?", then I pick... once approved, they put me in touch with the studio, engineer, producer and we book the time...

How much time?

It would usually be between 2-4 hours... most of the time, like 2... come ready, be ready, and I always was... so I was usually done in an hour if that.

Most were recorded at studios in the valley too, so always close by, maybe a 10 minutes or 20 minute drive.

In the end, $500 wasn't bad, for an hours work, and that money in 1999, is in reality, like $1,000.00 today in 2023... so, the $2,000.00 ones, would be like $4,000.00 today!

And... that was for me... and the lower tier singers... I am sure, Lane, Bach, or DuBrow were getting more... but hey... beats the hell out of flippin' burgers!

Oh yea, and this is the "rock" version, not the industrial one... as some will recall, a lot of these were done in the 90's when that stuff was hot, so they did industrial styled versions of Motley Crue tunes, Guns N' Roses, etc... but in time, realized, that the Rock was coming back and remixed, lost the electronic vibe and released as more straight ahead rock n' roll!

Last Fun Fact: I was once hired by Snapple, to sing a parody of "Back In Black" for an in-house promo for the company, with the lyrics singing "Pop the cap, Snapple's Back" and some other goofy shit... pay check cut day of the session... and it was a good one too and I wasn't even there 2 hours!

Enjoy .....

> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xaX3hU8CthY

Ready, Set, Sludge!

$ludge