Question for the CEO

The one that started it all. Spreading gossip and insults since 1998.

Moderator: Metal Sludge

Velvis
Playing Shitty Clubs in a Van

Question for the CEO

Post by Velvis »

My Alexa's have recently automatically started playing songs after playing a song I ask for. The other day it automatically played a Tuff song, and it got me thinking do you make much/any money from streaming? Does the original record company still get a cut of that? I'd be interested to hear how the mechanics of that work.

I saw Snoop Dogg the other day saying he had a billion streams and only got 45K, and both of those numbers sound very suspect to me.
MetalSludgeCEO
Playing First Stage at SludgeFest

Re: Question for the CEO

Post by MetalSludgeCEO »

Velvis wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2023 8:55 pm My Alexa's have recently automatically started playing songs after playing a song I ask for. The other day it automatically played a Tuff song, and it got me thinking do you make much/any money from streaming? Does the original record company still get a cut of that? I'd be interested to hear how the mechanics of that work.

I saw Snoop Dogg the other day saying he had a billion streams and only got 45K, and both of those numbers sound very suspect to me.
Yes... I get money... as to how much, or how it is broken down, I have no clue.

I have seen several bands post publishing checks, that are like .05 cents, or .02 cents.

Happy to say... mine are not pennies.... ever, and there is a reason.

Tuff only signed 1 publishing deal, and it was only for our debut record... we got a $100,000.00 advance, which in today's money is double that.

Every release of any music since, we never signed away ANY publishing... we kept it all, including "Religious Fix", our 2nd record on BMG/MMS/Mausoleum Records.

While we didn't sell millions, or even hundreds of thousands... we keep all of our publishing...

I got some VERY nice checks, and still do, for "American Hairband" too... not the writer's credit, BUT, I get 100% of the "artist" credit and I own the masters too!

So I get "Artist" credits on all that stuff, and "masters" or a 'label" type royalty paid to RLS Records, which I own 100% of as well.

I also own every record, except the debut, when it comes to digital music... I also do not control "Religious Fix", but... in my contract with that deal, I retained the rights, to sell "Fist First" and control those songs, the mix is basically the same, different mastering and essentially a different master recording... which I own and control.

Most guys in these bands, especially the lower end, C & D list, are short-sighted, they are happy to take $15-20k, from one of these labels, who then own their music, masters, and the rest... for years to come... selling it on CD, vinyl. deluxe versions, digitally and other.

I however... control and own, all of the above... and that is why, 29 years later, I am still making money, daily off of "Fist First"... and when it gets reissued on Vinyl, in a few months, that will stimulate the Cd and digital of the same... and the rest of the catalog.

$tEvil
sirthx2
Blowing Advance from Record Label

Post by sirthx2 »

What a mature & thoughtful response. Our boy is all growns up!
"Most rock journalism is people who can't write, interviewing people who can't talk, for people who can't read." - Frank Zappa

"If you don't like The Darkness, you suck at music listening." - Michelish circa 2021
VinnieVincentsVag
Playing Second Stage at SludgeFest

Post by VinnieVincentsVag »

How is something like American Hairband broken down as far as any money that comes in?
Mato
Playing at a Friend's Party

Post by Mato »

Hmmmmm…..