Revisiting some KISS albums…

The one that started it all. Spreading gossip and insults since 1998.

Moderator: Metal Sludge

VinnieVincentsVag
Playing Second Stage at SludgeFest

Revisiting some KISS albums…

Post by VinnieVincentsVag »

I wanted to give Asylum and Animalize another listen.
These albums are not good
This is when Paul started using his upper register annoyingly.
Generic songs.
The guitar wankfest on Animalize is embarrassing.
Drums are overplayed as well.

Maybe 2 songs per album are listenable
BernieTaupson
Playing Decent Clubs in a Bus

Re: Revisiting some KISS albums…

Post by BernieTaupson »

Good :

I’ve Had Enough
Thrills In The Night

King of the Mountain
Tears Are Falling
Who Wants to be Lonely
Secretly Cruel

Yeah, that’s all that springs to mind. Never liked Heaven’s On Fire. Animalize is the worst KISS album as far as I’m concerned. Well, not counting the scab ones.
dmbrocker
Signed to a Major Label Multi-Album Deal
Location: Rockin’ with Amber, Bradie, Laurine, Dokken, Ratt, Motley, Aerosmith, Rush, Poison…

Post by dmbrocker »

They're both pretty good if you simply take them as fun cheesy unmasked-era Kiss hair metal (a certain "log in fireplace" lyric notwithstanding).
LAglamrocker wrote: Trixter is awesome but everyone has seen After The Rain video correct? That’s one of first things I’m going thank God for
Jason Jennifer Leigh
Headlining Clubs

Post by Jason Jennifer Leigh »

Asylum is classic KISS with an 80’s tone but the songs and lyrics remind me of 1978.
SikkiNixx
Sharing sandwiches with street kids

Post by SikkiNixx »

Jason Jennifer Leigh wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2023 6:18 pm Asylum is classic KISS with an 80’s tone but the songs and lyrics remind me of 1978.
Agree.. but for me, I can't not like Kiss.. and when I listen, which is rare, its never a the 80s stuff.. except Crazy Nights, I seem to gravitate to the Bob Ezrin stuff.. How can anyone not like Great Expectations?? The answer is Nobody!!
But when Paul whispers "I saw you cry ", I feel it in my soul
New World Under Attack
No Telling If We'll Make It Out
Or Turn To Black
Jason Jennifer Leigh
Headlining Clubs

Post by Jason Jennifer Leigh »

All of Gene’s songs are winners … I could see the mid 70’s or 1982 Demon singing all of them.

“Secretly Cruel” and “Anyway You Slice It” would fit right in on Rock n Roll Over minus the 80’s guitar tone and Carr’s drums.

Asylum with RnR Over production is classic KISS … I’ve been saying it for years.

I hate almost everything about Animalize but Paul has atleast 3 gems on there.
whiteowl yesterday

Post by whiteowl yesterday »

i love 'em both.
animalize was my first time really getting in to kiss so i really love that album.
"artist formerly known as midnighttoker"
BernieTaupson

Post by BernieTaupson »

Jason Jennifer Leigh wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2023 9:03 pm Asylum with RnR Over production is classic KISS … I’ve been saying it for years.
It’s not though. You’d also need 70s arrangements and for that you need Ace and Peter. Carr and Kulick had no idea what to do with Gene’s songs. Ace and Peter knew exactly what to do with them.
RaceFan3
Debut Album Goes Gold

Post by RaceFan3 »

Overall they're both okay-decent, but a little glammy letdown compared to Lick It Up and Creatures that preceded them. Bruce Kulick's work on Asylum, however, is terrific IMHO.
*I kinda want a new screenname. Seriously. I barely watch racing anymore. :x
Bono Nettencourt
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by Bono Nettencourt »

VinnieVincentsVag wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2023 3:56 pm I wanted to give Asylum and Animalize another listen.
These albums are not good
This is when Paul started using his upper register annoyingly.
Generic songs.
The guitar wankfest on Animalize is embarrassing.
Drums are overplayed as well.

Maybe 2 songs per album are listenable
Spot on. Whatever magic they had with LiU left with VV.
ijwthstd wrote: obviously you take this way too seriously and were deeply affected by what transpired in the early 1990's and hopefully you are discussing these issues with a therapist in addition to other fans on music message boards.
Mister Freeze
Platinum Artist

Post by Mister Freeze »

Jason Jennifer Leigh wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2023 6:18 pm Asylum is classic KISS with an 80’s tone but the songs and lyrics remind me of 1978.

Remember that guy, Double Virgo, doing "Secretly Cruel" in the style of '70s-era KISS?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jjOxhy42M6s

I can't believe that video is now 15 fucking years old. Everybody loved it. I thought he'd end up doing a whole channel of '80s Kiss songs done that way. But no, one and done.
skunklovestiger wrote: A comment like this needs a really useless piece of shit. Well maybe you are used to get fucked by your mother in the basement. It would be better if somebody just kills you useless asshole. Just killl yourself shithead.
Psychobolia.com
Playing a Package Tour in Arenas
Location: Paris, France, land of sleaze and cheese, wine and whine

Post by Psychobolia.com »

No love for Burn Bitch Burn?!

I love that song, grooves for days :-)
pieceofme

Post by pieceofme »

Animalize kicks arse and is their most underrated album. Asylum is pretty good as well.
GrayAntiMatter wrote:EVH

Zappa is pure cult status shit. He is to music what Bruce fucking Campbell is to acting....
BernieTaupson

Post by BernieTaupson »

Mister Freeze wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2023 8:20 am I can't believe that video is now 15 fucking years old. Everybody loved it. I thought he'd end up doing a whole channel of '80s Kiss songs done that way. But no, one and done. [/size]
He did Killer a while later but it’s not on his channel.

https://youtu.be/MVyBBMLFCfo?si=QeJ4FViw2_QsN_bb
Vince Neil Eats
Lugging equipment around in parent's car

Post by Vince Neil Eats »

I like 80’s KISS. While Asylum and Animalize aren’t perfect, I feel there are quality songs on them for me to label them “good” albums. The last three great KISS albums (creatures/LIU/Revenge) had one person in common…Vinnie Vincent.
Wild Obsession
Debut Album Goes Gold

Post by Wild Obsession »

Overall KISS is my favorite band, but Lick it Up through Hot in the Shade are turds......All 5 albums are a couple really good Paul songs with the rest being forgettable filler, and 99.9% of Gene's songs are total garbage.

Crazy Nights is bottom 2 with Carnival of Holes as far as KISS's weakest albums.
kanister
Headlining Clubs

Post by kanister »

I revisited Dressed to Kill today.

What a perfect rocknroll album it would be if Ladies and Waiting and Two Timer would be replaced with better songs. Or at least those two plodding songs shouldn't be tracks no 2 and 3. If they were hidden to end of A side and middle of B side they might not kill the momentum Room Service creates.
Wild Obsession
Debut Album Goes Gold

Post by Wild Obsession »

kanister wrote: Sun Dec 17, 2023 11:38 am I revisited Dressed to Kill today.

What a perfect rocknroll album it would be if Ladies and Waiting and Two Timer would be replaced with better songs. Or at least those two plodding songs shouldn't be tracks no 2 and 3. If they were hidden to end of A side and middle of B side they might not kill the momentum Room Service creates.
I agree "Dressed To Kill" is great, I don't mind "Two Timer", but "Ladies in Waiting" is weak.
Mister Freeze
Platinum Artist

Post by Mister Freeze »

I'm listening to the audio book for "Nothing But a Good Time" right now (history of hair metal), which happens to be free on Spotify.

One of my favorite stories so far... Gene Simmons was courting Cinderella before they were signed. He wanted to change their name, produce them, and have them record his shitty songs.

They said "no thanks."
skunklovestiger wrote: A comment like this needs a really useless piece of shit. Well maybe you are used to get fucked by your mother in the basement. It would be better if somebody just kills you useless asshole. Just killl yourself shithead.
Love_Industry

Post by Love_Industry »

Mister Freeze wrote: Sun Dec 17, 2023 9:15 pm I'm listening to the audio book for "Nothing But a Good Time" right now (history of hair metal), which happens to be free on Spotify.

One of my favorite stories so far... Gene Simmons was courting Cinderella before they were signed. He wanted to change their name, produce them, and have them record his shitty songs.

They said "no thanks."
Cinderella, Virgin, Van Halen, Bag ... I see a pattern here. House of Lords didn't record any Gene songs, did they? Keel and Black'N Blue did but that didn't exactly lead to success. How big would Kiss themselves be if Gene insisted on producing and writing all the songs from the start?
When Gene (and a coked up Ezrin) took control of a project (MFTE) it turned out to be the same type of career killer as when Queensryche gave free reins to DeGarmo for HITNF.... makes you think.
BernieTaupson

Post by BernieTaupson »

Don’t forget his other great Simmons Records discoveries Silent Rage and Loz Netto!
Love_Industry

Post by Love_Industry »

BernieTaupson wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2023 4:24 am Don’t forget his other great Simmons Records discoveries Silent Rage and Loz Netto!
Gene had the good taste not to push his songs or produce Silent Rage and Gypsy Rose. He produced three songs for Silent Rage and that's about it. For the Kisstards out there, SR recorded an Adam Mitchell/Bruce Kulick song for their Simmons Records album.

Had no idea about Loz Netto's background but he was apparently in Sniff'N the Tears and played on their first two albums and had two solo albums out before Gene got hold of him. Same with Bag, as Alex Chuaqui he was in Queen City Kids for three albums and wrote songs for Loverboy.