DUFF MCKAGAN Defends GUNS N' ROSES' Three-And-A-Half-Hour Live Performances: 'What Songs Do You Take Out?'

The one that started it all. Spreading gossip and insults since 1998.

Moderator: Metal Sludge

Spongie
Playing Shitty Clubs in a Van

DUFF MCKAGAN Defends GUNS N' ROSES' Three-And-A-Half-Hour Live Performances: 'What Songs Do You Take Out?'

Post by Spongie »

HAHAHAHA. Delusion… party of one. :lol:

https://blabbermouth.net/news/duff-mck ... u-take-out

In a new interview with Heavy Music, Duff McKagan was asked about GUNS N' ROSES' insistence on playing marathon sets that usually last at least a full hour longer than those of most other bands. The GN'R bassist said (as transcribed by BLABBERMOUTH.NET): "Axl [Rose, GUNS N' ROSES singer], man, Axl loves… I think it's… Goddamn it's, like, what songs do you take out, if you wanted to play shorter? HOW ABOUT EVERYTHING POST 1987?

We've had to cancel only one show because of vocals, because you get a swelling — no wonder — swelling on one of his sides. And he'll still wanna play the show, and the doctor will be, like, 'You could ruin your voice forever.' TOO LATE :lol:

Tell your story in 90 - 105 minutes TOPS.
BDG135
Platinum Artist

Re: DUFF MCKAGAN Defends GUNS N' ROSES' Three-And-A-Half-Hour Live Performances: 'What Songs Do You Take Out?'

Post by BDG135 »

How many fans really want to hear the 12-minute Knockin' on Heaven's Door?
Not everybody is on MetalShit.com and Blabberface fuckin’ dot net! Who cares? There’s such a small amount of people that do that. - Blotz
Zabooka
Playing Decent Clubs in a Bus

Re: DUFF MCKAGAN Defends GUNS N' ROSES' Three-And-A-Half-Hour Live Performances: 'What Songs Do You Take Out?'

Post by Zabooka »

Take out all the cover songs.
SterileEyes1
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by SterileEyes1 »

Love Duff and love me some 3.5 hour GN’R shows but that’s one of the most classic willfully obtuse responses ever.

“What would the point of a Guns N’ Roses concert even be without Absurd and that Glen Campbell cover?” :lol:
My Video Covers: https://www.youtube.com/@therealjeffstein/

"Diary Of A Madman"
"Aja"
"Atlas, Rise!"
“Sludge Factory”
"Locomotive"

My Original Music: https://jeffstein.bandcamp.com
ijwthstd
Platinum Artist

Post by ijwthstd »

Most of the cover songs, some of the Chinese Democracy songs and about half of KOHD
"I went and saw Chickenfoot twice. I've suffered for being Sammy's friend" - Bob Forrest
Bono Nettencourt
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by Bono Nettencourt »

The CD songs need to stay, the fans need beer/pee breaks.
ijwthstd wrote: obviously you take this way too seriously and were deeply affected by what transpired in the early 1990's and hopefully you are discussing these issues with a therapist in addition to other fans on music message boards.
El Vampiro Blanco
Headlining Clubs

Post by El Vampiro Blanco »

Just play Appetite and be done with it.
People can be in bed on time that way.
pieceofme
Signed to a Major Label Multi-Album Deal

Post by pieceofme »

BDG135 wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2023 7:46 am How many fans really want to hear the 12-minute Knockin' on Heaven's Door?
I enjoyed it. And I don't really care for the song on the record.
Bono Nettencourt wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2023 11:47 am The CD songs need to stay, the fans need beer/pee breaks.
They only played one off that album when I saw them (title track) :( Would have preferred more from this album rather than the following songs:

Hard Skool
Absurd
Down on the Farm
T.V. Eye
Wichita Lineman

Take those those five songs out.
SterileEyes1 wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2023 11:16 am Love Duff and love me some 3.5 hour GN’R shows but that’s one of the most classic willfully obtuse responses ever.

“What would the point of a Guns N’ Roses concert even be without Absurd and that Glen Campbell cover?” :lol:
yeah agreed.

I still had a really good time at the show. I wasn't complaining it was over 3 hours long.
GrayAntiMatter wrote:EVH

Zappa is pure cult status shit. He is to music what Bruce fucking Campbell is to acting....
BernieTaupson
Headlining Clubs

Post by BernieTaupson »

Fuck that. Play AFD and then You Could Be Mine as an encore and fuck off.
Bono Nettencourt
MSX Tour Support Act

El Vampiro Blanco wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2023 12:29 pm Just play Appetite and be done with it.
People can be in bed on time that way.
Nah, the good stuff from the Illusions is worth hearing. It's like we're living the Sludge fantasy of editing them down to a single album in real time.
ijwthstd wrote: obviously you take this way too seriously and were deeply affected by what transpired in the early 1990's and hopefully you are discussing these issues with a therapist in addition to other fans on music message boards.
Psychobolia.com
Playing a Package Tour in Arenas
Location: Paris, France, land of sleaze and cheese, wine and whine

Post by Psychobolia.com »

Remove the covers except for Live & Let Die and Attitude.

Get rid of November Rain
LAglamrocker
Playing First Stage at SludgeFest

Post by LAglamrocker »

His song
Jani Lane and Bret Michaels should form a band called "Nelson II"
MattleyCrue

Post by MattleyCrue »

This past tour had the best setlist of all time
LAglamrocker wrote:
Walk in Diesel store Melrose with Ashba gear commands respect, not sure you are allowed in with Walmart gear
Fat_Elvis
Cockblocked by Poison

Post by Fat_Elvis »

How about losing the multiple insufferable solos?
BernieTaupson
Headlining Clubs

Post by BernieTaupson »

Fat_Elvis wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2023 4:49 pm How about losing the multiple insufferable scabs?
aznsquirt

Post by aznsquirt »

When I saw them at Aftershock (with laglamrocker like 100 feet behind me and i didnt see him FFS) I remember I was the only dude who was fucking stoked af when they busted into Reckless Life.
alexleehooker
Buying Cool Stage Clothes

Post by alexleehooker »

:oops:
SterileEyes1 wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2023 11:16 am Love Duff and love me some 3.5 hour GN’R shows but that’s one of the most classic willfully obtuse responses ever.

I actually really like both of those. I think Absurd is the best thing they’ve put out since getting the three back together.
Bono Nettencourt
MSX Tour Support Act

BernieTaupson wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2023 5:19 pm
Fat_Elvis wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2023 4:49 pm How about losing the multiple insufferable scabs?
:lol:
mullet_head
Headlining Clubs

Post by mullet_head »

BernieTaupson wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2023 2:35 pm Fuck that. Play AFD and then You Could Be Mine as an encore and fuck off.
Believe it or not, too many people owned or know the UYI albums but only know the singles off of Appetite. Patience too, I guess.
Bono Nettencourt
MSX Tour Support Act

mullet_head wrote: Sun Dec 17, 2023 8:02 am
BernieTaupson wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2023 2:35 pm Fuck that. Play AFD and then You Could Be Mine as an encore and fuck off.
Believe it or not, too many people owned or know the UYI albums but only know the singles off of Appetite. Patience too, I guess.
maninblack
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by maninblack »

Do less coke. That will half it.
SterileEyes1
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by SterileEyes1 »

alexleehooker wrote: Sun Dec 17, 2023 1:54 am :oops:

I actually really like both of those. I think Absurd is the best thing they’ve put out since getting the three back together.

Absurd I can’t hang with, didn’t like it as Silkworms either. I like Witchita Lineman, mostly just saying if they gotta shave 5 minutes off a 210 minute concert, they could start there and likely not upset 99.9% of their audience too much.
My Video Covers: https://www.youtube.com/@therealjeffstein/

"Diary Of A Madman"
"Aja"
"Atlas, Rise!"
“Sludge Factory”
"Locomotive"

My Original Music: https://jeffstein.bandcamp.com
Ziggy Sawdust
Doing Package Tours in Theaters

Post by Ziggy Sawdust »

Axl’s voice is almost gone. Why does he want to make it even worse? If it goes then he can’t carry on charging the overpriced ticket prices every year.
Hell'sHungryChild wrote:
I have no desire to pay $150 to see an ant sized Ac/Dc and drink $12 beer cups.
Michael Hotts Ghost
Blowing Advance from Record Label

Post by Michael Hotts Ghost »

70-90 minutes is all that is necessary... please.
Hair I Go Again
Playing Shitty Clubs in a Van

Post by Hair I Go Again »

On one hand, it’s fucking awesome that, in an age where it can easily cost $100 to see a show, there’s a band who plays all night and gives fans their money’s worth, at least in terms of songs per dollar.

On the other, there’s a spectacular lack of self-awareness regarding the pacing of the show and borderline contempt to make those paying fans sit through more than an hour of filler to hear the songs they paid to see in the first place.

There’s an incredible 2-hour show here. Unfortunately, it takes four hours to experience.

My “manager hat” advice would be to do one of two things:

1) Do the old Hank III model and appease the casual fans first, then scare the hell out of them and play whatever the hell you want in the second half of the show. Casuals get the hits and an early exit; diehards still get the filler

2) Do the Prince model and play a 2-hour arena show, then head to a nearby club and play a second set. They wouldn’t need to lower ticket prices and could even gross a fair amount more by selling more tix for the nightcap shows, and they could also charge a higher ticket price for the intimacy factor.

They’ve spent eight years in a bubble / echo chamber, though, so neither of these things will happen — and that’s fine, since they’ve made an absolute fortune in that time and will comtinue to do so as long as the train stays on the tracks. That’s probably why they keep playing so long - it’s working, so why risk fucking with it?
FreddyFender
Headlining Clubs

Post by FreddyFender »

Hair I Go Again wrote: Sun Dec 17, 2023 8:44 pm 2) Do the Prince model and play a 2-hour arena show, then head to a nearby club and play a second set. They wouldn’t need to lower ticket prices and could even gross a fair amount more by selling more tix for the nightcap shows, and they could also charge a higher ticket price for the intimacy factor.
Prince actually liked playing music, right up until the day he died.

These guys do not - the set is three hours to accommodate everyone's massive ego, especially Axl's.
Mister Freeze
Platinum Artist

Post by Mister Freeze »

Here's the most recent Guns n' Roses setlist:
https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/guns-n-r ... 1bab7.html

28 songs. At least three are in the 10-minute range. They're actually down to one song from ChiDem and a few of the more questionable covers are gone. All four new songs got played :shock:

You guys wanted new material. You're getting new material.
skunklovestiger wrote: A comment like this needs a really useless piece of shit. Well maybe you are used to get fucked by your mother in the basement. It would be better if somebody just kills you useless asshole. Just killl yourself shithead.
TheCULTofMANSON
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by TheCULTofMANSON »

I love the 3+ hour shows, love the setlists, love the 12 min KOHD, Axl’s voice still sounds fantastic.

Yall just wanna cry and complain about everything like some old geezers with AARP
RockSkar wrote:
Patton could sing anything that those other singers have ever sang. But none of them could sing Patton's catalog.
Itwalksamongus wrote:
Dude - did you, like, just get ass-fucked by Patton or something? You're really off the hook here.
kingbrian74

Post by kingbrian74 »

Take out the cover songs no one cares about, the new songs that do not go over well live, and all the extended jam sessions and solos.

It's not that hard to figure out.
WCiezak
Passing Out Band Flyers

Post by WCiezak »

Axl sounds like a struggling Mickey Mouse on so many songs these days. They should just take out the stuff he can't sing. If they stuck to what he does best, you'd probably only be able to cobble together a 90 min set.