John Sykes. This smokes

The one that started it all. Spreading gossip and insults since 1998.

Moderator: Metal Sludge

VicStelly
Playing Shitty Clubs in a Van

John Sykes. This smokes

Post by VicStelly »

https://youtu.be/L3uzjvsq5Nk?si=HWJjRBUnbFStiT8A

The middle jam in incredible. Bass playing is superb.

Sykes has to be a headcase not to be producing anything.
bluesykindaguy035
Wannabe Rocker

Re: John Sykes. This smokes

Post by bluesykindaguy035 »

I heard Sykes ended his career as a musician
Bono Nettencourt
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by Bono Nettencourt »

You can see why he thought that he could take over when Cov blew out his septum... because he could have.
ijwthstd wrote: obviously you take this way too seriously and were deeply affected by what transpired in the early 1990's and hopefully you are discussing these issues with a therapist in addition to other fans on music message boards.
Demons Eye
Lugging equipment around in parent's car

Post by Demons Eye »

VicStelly wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2023 9:33 am https://youtu.be/L3uzjvsq5Nk?si=HWJjRBUnbFStiT8A

The middle jam in incredible. Bass playing is superb.

Sykes has to be a headcase not to be producing anything.
Thanks for the link, that was great. And yeah, agree with your last sentence… it's a shame.
BernieTaupson
Headlining Clubs

Post by BernieTaupson »

Bono Nettencourt wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2023 10:19 am You can see why he thought that he could take over when Cov blew out his septum... because he could have.
He wanted to audition another singer for WS, not do the singing himself. Don’t think he considered singing until it didn’t work out with Tony Martin in the early days of Blue Murder.
cowpins
Platinum Artist

Post by cowpins »

Was front and center for a Blue Murder show and his tone was absolutely wicked.
"bus problems come on man so boring we have our bus its awesome and we r watching judge judy on it right now tour is going great 14 more shows to go see you out there rockin peeps not you garbageman you stay home" - HueyRamone, 7/3/12
Anthrax442
Cockblocked by Poison

Post by Anthrax442 »

Bono Nettencourt wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2023 10:19 am You can see why he thought that he could take over when Cov blew out his septum... because he could have.
He's a better singer than most guitarists, but settle down. He's not even at Michael Sweet's level, much less prime Coverdale.
MurrayFiend wrote:Shit, deathcurse, you sure know how to make an exit.
DangerZone
Debut Album Goes Gold

Post by DangerZone »

BernieTaupson wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2023 1:53 pm
He wanted to audition another singer for WS, not do the singing himself. Don’t think he considered singing until it didn’t work out with Tony Martin in the early days of Blue Murder.
The Black Sabbath Tony Martin was almost in blue murder?
BernieTaupson
Headlining Clubs

Post by BernieTaupson »

Yup.
skinni
Playing Decent Clubs in a Bus

Post by skinni »

great player with an amazing tone
FreddyFender
Headlining Clubs

Post by FreddyFender »

Sykes is the only guy that can really play Still of the Night and Coverdale is (was) the only one to sing it.

They can both do good versions separately, but none it comes close to the real thing.

The bass playing here was fucking ass.
aznsquirt

Post by aznsquirt »

Nice. Had no idea Mendoza could rock a fretless like that.
Bono Nettencourt
MSX Tour Support Act

FreddyFender wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2023 11:00 pm Sykes is the only guy that can really play Still of the Night
This is true. Every cover version I've seen has been absolutely butchered. Halestorm's was awful.
ijwthstd wrote: obviously you take this way too seriously and were deeply affected by what transpired in the early 1990's and hopefully you are discussing these issues with a therapist in addition to other fans on music message boards.
BiggusDickus
Touring With Slayer!!!

Post by BiggusDickus »

DangerZone wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2023 9:07 pm
Yes. Sykes and Martin wrote the song "Valley Of The Kings".
DangerZone
Debut Album Goes Gold

Post by DangerZone »

BiggusDickus wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2023 5:58 am

I didn’t know that.
That would’ve been awesome
woblinweebles

Post by woblinweebles »

DangerZone wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2023 6:01 am
BiggusDickus wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2023 5:58 am

I didn’t know that.
That would’ve been awesome
What's funny is that it was the second time that Martin replaced Ray Gillen, who was the original singer for Blue Murder.
https://youtu.be/tZgXwwhLOYo?si=rFGNkj ... azv&t=1484
JizzySynatra

Post by JizzySynatra »

Wasn't Sykes supposed to release a new studio album like 5 or so years ago? I think he even posted the working album cover on it on his website. Agree, that it's a shame that he hasn't done more musically. Absolutely incredible player. Outside of the usual stuff mentioned on here, his solo album 20th Century is great (although the production could be better).
Venus Flytrap

Post by Venus Flytrap »

God damn sin that the Whitesnake '87 recording lineup never got toplay those songs live together.
Hellbound
Playing Shitty Clubs in a Van

Post by Hellbound »

John Smykes
BernieTaupson
Headlining Clubs

Post by BernieTaupson »

JizzySynatra wrote: Fri Dec 22, 2023 2:02 pm Wasn't Sykes supposed to release a new studio album like 5 or so years ago? I think he even posted the working album cover on it on his website. Agree, that it's a shame that he hasn't done more musically. Absolutely incredible player. Outside of the usual stuff mentioned on here, his solo album 20th Century is great (although the production could be better).
Yeah Sy-Ops, was meant to come out 2017, a couple of tracks got put up in 2020. Then he got dropped from the label.

And ten/fifteen years ago he announced he was doing a supergroup with Mike Portnoy, that imploded as well. He can’t work with anyone anymore.
Bono Nettencourt
MSX Tour Support Act

Isn't his wife wealthy from CA RE? He pretty much milked Blue Murder dry, then Scab Lizzy, then squat afterwards. Seems like he really needed someone to write with.
JizzySynatra

Post by JizzySynatra »

BernieTaupson wrote: Sat Dec 23, 2023 6:22 am
JizzySynatra wrote: Fri Dec 22, 2023 2:02 pm Wasn't Sykes supposed to release a new studio album like 5 or so years ago? I think he even posted the working album cover on it on his website. Agree, that it's a shame that he hasn't done more musically. Absolutely incredible player. Outside of the usual stuff mentioned on here, his solo album 20th Century is great (although the production could be better).
Yeah Sy-Ops, was meant to come out 2017, a couple of tracks got put up in 2020. Then he got dropped from the label.

And ten/fifteen years ago he announced he was doing a supergroup with Mike Portnoy, that imploded as well. He can’t work with anyone anymore.
Yeah, I think I remember Trunk really pushing that at the time. If I recall, I think that was the Winery Dogs and Kotzen ended up replacing him.
maninblack
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by maninblack »

I remember when I first saw sykes, or heard of him. It was on british telly on a program called the tube. The band he was in was called the tygers of pantang ( or similar ) and I remember that one of the songs they played was a cover of " love potion number nine ". I will see if I can find it on youtube. It was in early 80s.
maninblack
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by maninblack »

I found it. Check out sykes on this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S6pmOsDojYU