First singles that were relative duds

The one that started it all. Spreading gossip and insults since 1998.

Moderator: Metal Sludge

Sleek
Playing a Package Tour in Arenas

Re: First singles that were relative duds

Post by Sleek »

Tommy2Tone84 wrote: Tue Dec 26, 2023 6:37 am
daveg wrote: Mon Dec 25, 2023 6:14 pm Winger - Madalaine
I remember it doing well enough. Same with Women by Def Leppard. I don’t remember Poison’s Cry Tough at all. I never knew it was the first single, Same with It’s So Easy. I remember WTTJ debuting on MTV in the fall of 1987.
Cry Tough was definitely a flop. Ended up doing liiiiiiiiiiiiike 6 months in the clubs because of it. Took that danged album almost a year to get traction.

It's so Easy was a definite flop as well...their second single Welcome to the Jungle flopped, too. Appetite was another record that was dead in the water for a year.
ROADHEAD wrote:I've never tasted coffee
HueyRamone wrote:I like Radio Gaga
HueyRamone wrote:QUIT FUCKING WITH MY SETLIST, ASSWIPE!

Bob Sacamano
Headlining Clubs

Post by Bob Sacamano »

Faith No More - From Out of Nowhere.
"I don't have any beliefs or allegiances. I don't believe in this country, I don't believe in religion, or a god, and I don't believe in all these man-made institutional ideas"

-- George Carlin
Tommy2Tone84
Signed to a Major Label Multi-Album Deal

Post by Tommy2Tone84 »

Sleek wrote: Wed Dec 27, 2023 4:21 pm
Tommy2Tone84 wrote: Tue Dec 26, 2023 6:37 am
daveg wrote: Mon Dec 25, 2023 6:14 pm Winger - Madalaine
I remember it doing well enough. Same with Women by Def Leppard. I don’t remember Poison’s Cry Tough at all. I never knew it was the first single, Same with It’s So Easy. I remember WTTJ debuting on MTV in the fall of 1987.
Cry Tough was definitely a flop. Ended up doing liiiiiiiiiiiiike 6 months in the clubs because of it. Took that danged album almost a year to get traction.

It's so Easy was a definite flop as well...their second single Welcome to the Jungle flopped, too. Appetite was another record that was dead in the water for a year.

I can understand why the suits chose conservatively and went with Cry Tough first. It’s a catchy song. Has a bit of a throw back vibe to it. It always reminded me of a Ronnie Specter tune. I’m surprised it wasn’t a hit. The video is well done too.

It’s So Easy was a terrible choice. If the suits at Geffen were going to go with lewd and crude, they should’ve went with Rocket Queen. A definite fan favorite and probably my favorite AFD track.

I didn’t know much about either band. I first saw Poison in Hit Parader and immediately wrote them off cause I thought they were trannys. I hadn’t even heard them. Talk Dirty didn’t win me over immediately. But CC’s Chuck Berry meets Ace Frehley meets Rick Nielsen trip helped a lot. They were cheesy AF but they were fun and it was infectious. It certainly helped that all the girls at my jr high wanted to sleep with them.

GNR I had seen a small b&w photo of in 1985. Never heard or saw shit about them again until Sept or Oct 1987 when Jungle premiered on MTV. My circle of buddies and our high school was a buzz with GNR after that. The Ritz performance only added fuel to the fire. SCOM cinched it for the girls and less hip, jock and prep types. From my recollection GNR became the next big thing with the Jungle video that fall. There was no looking or going back after that. I got tired of them after a while but Rocket Queen and Paradise City would inevitably reel me back in.
greengoblinrulz
Headlining Clubs

Post by greengoblinrulz »

Dokkens The Hunter was first to come to mind
Velvis
Playing Shitty Clubs in a Van

Post by Velvis »

aznsquirt wrote: Mon Dec 25, 2023 2:02 am I feel like we've had similar threads to this, but I was thinking about how "It's So Easy/Mr Brownstone" were co first singles on AFD.

What other albums had first (or more?) single(s) that were total flops compared to the hits released later?

The only other one off the top of my head is Never Before being the first single on Deep Purple's Machine Head.
I didn't know that, but both of those songs are the ones I like the most. And it's not burn out. I just never loved Jungle or Paradise City from the start. I don't hate them but there's something about them that I don't love.
Sleek
Playing a Package Tour in Arenas

Post by Sleek »

Tommy2Tone84 wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2023 1:30 am

I can understand why the suits chose conservatively and went with Cry Tough first. It’s a catchy song. Has a bit of a throw back vibe to it. It always reminded me of a Ronnie Specter tune. I’m surprised it wasn’t a hit. The video is well done too.
The suits? :lol:

They were on Enigma records, an indie that was home to 45 Grave, Tex and the Horseheads and Fear. I don't remember Bill or Wes Hein wearing a suit...

GNR on the other hand were Geffen, which was corporate.
ROADHEAD wrote:I've never tasted coffee
HueyRamone wrote:I like Radio Gaga
HueyRamone wrote:QUIT FUCKING WITH MY SETLIST, ASSWIPE!

Mato
Playing at a Friend's Party

Post by Mato »

Tuff’s ‘ I Hate Kissing You Goodbye” comes to mind. In fact it was their one and only nothing. #donthatetheplayer #hatethegame
SW
Playing Shitty Clubs in a Van

Post by SW »

Tommy2Tone84 wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2023 1:30 am It’s So Easy was a terrible choice. If the suits at Geffen were going to go with lewd and crude, they should’ve went with Rocket Queen. A definite fan favorite and probably my favorite AFD track.
Yeah, over 6 minute song as a first single sounds like a great idea especially from an unknown band at that point. Fan favorite at the time when pretty much no one have heard the record?

And it's my favorite on Appetite too but that's not the point.
Bono Nettencourt
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by Bono Nettencourt »

SW wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2023 11:28 pm
Tommy2Tone84 wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2023 1:30 am It’s So Easy was a terrible choice. If the suits at Geffen were going to go with lewd and crude, they should’ve went with Rocket Queen. A definite fan favorite and probably my favorite AFD track.
Yeah, over 6 minute song as a first single sounds like a great idea especially from an unknown band at that point. Fan favorite at the time when pretty much no one have heard the record?

And it's my favorite on Appetite too but that's not the point.
Program directors would be lining up to play a song where you can hear a girl getting railed during the bridge... :roll:
ijwthstd wrote: obviously you take this way too seriously and were deeply affected by what transpired in the early 1990's and hopefully you are discussing these issues with a therapist in addition to other fans on music message boards.
jhenders
Blowing Advance from Record Label

Post by jhenders »

The first single off of Bad English's album, "Forget Me Not", was a relative dud as it stalled at #45. The second single, "When I See You Smile" shot all the way to #1.
Chip Z'Hoy
Playing First Stage at SludgeFest

Post by Chip Z'Hoy »

I was thinking about this the other day:

Smashing Pumpkins' first single off Machina was going to be "Stand Inside Your Love" but at the last minute, the record company changed it to "The Everlasting Gaze," which basically came and went. Their 15th minute ran out.

I think if they released "Stand Inside Your Love" (minus the butt ugly video with the gross fat guy from Borat and his painted nips), they might've had a shot. It's legitimately a classic Pumpkins song that I think would've won back some fans.
LAglamrocker wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 3:56 pmClub was packed with Metal Edge fans 18-30..no stupid Rush Roll The Bones dipsh*ts
Ozzy Stradlin
Playing Decent Clubs in a Bus

Post by Ozzy Stradlin »

jhenders wrote: Wed Dec 27, 2023 11:57 am The leadoff single from Cinderella's "Night Songs" album was "Shake Me" and it failed to chart.

The 2nd and 3rd singles fared much better: "Nobody's Fool" cracked the Billboard Top 20 going to #13. "Somebody Save Me" reached #66.
Yeah, but “Shake Me” was all over MTV.
War_in_D
Taking Music Lessons

Post by War_in_D »

I think the first singles were usually "duds" because they weren't the poppy songs or ballads. The rock songs usually didn't do a ton of business. More like the record company playing up to bands' "we're not pussies" images and waited to hit it big ($$$) with the next singles.
ParaDime77

Post by ParaDime77 »

Unholy - KISS
Everyone Is Someone Else's Bitch
Love_Industry

Post by Love_Industry »

ParaDime77 wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2023 5:34 pm Unholy - KISS
Sure but didn't all four singles from that album bomb?

Judas Priest- Painkiller. Didn't chart in the US, Touch of Evil made it (just barely) to the top 30.
BernieTaupson
Headlining Clubs

Post by BernieTaupson »

Love_Industry wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2023 3:48 am
ParaDime77 wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2023 5:34 pm Unholy - KISS
Sure but didn't all four singles from that album bomb?

Judas Priest- Painkiller. Didn't chart in the US, Touch of Evil made it (just barely) to the top 30.
Isn’t the point of this thread first singles that bombed and then the other singles and/or the album was a big hit? Neither Revenge or Painkiller had any hit singles or was a hit album.
BernieTaupson
Headlining Clubs

Post by BernieTaupson »

Weezer’s first single was Undone, didn’t do anything. Then Buddy then Say It Ain’t So, which both did okay. Album has sold fifteen million reportedly.
Gibsonite
Cockblocked by Poison

Post by Gibsonite »

The lead single "Danger" from AC/DC's Fly on the Wall album absolutely stiffed, but "Sink the Pink" did much better. One of their better '80s tunes I think
Bono Nettencourt
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by Bono Nettencourt »

BernieTaupson wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2023 8:11 am Weezer’s first single was Undone, didn’t do anything.
It did alright. Didn't chart as high as Buddy, but got similar radio and MTV play.
ijwthstd wrote: obviously you take this way too seriously and were deeply affected by what transpired in the early 1990's and hopefully you are discussing these issues with a therapist in addition to other fans on music message boards.