Unveiling the Concept: KISS's "Animalize" and "Asylum" as Parts One and Two of a Rock Odyssey

The one that started it all. Spreading gossip and insults since 1998.

Moderator: Metal Sludge

Roland Rockover
Wannabe Rocker

Unveiling the Concept: KISS's "Animalize" and "Asylum" as Parts One and Two of a Rock Odyssey

Post by Roland Rockover »

Introduction:

In the realm of rock music, the concept album has long been a cherished and ambitious endeavor, creating a cohesive narrative or thematic thread that ties together a collection of songs. While KISS may not be immediately associated with concept albums, a deeper exploration suggests an intriguing possibility. This essay posits that KISS's "Animalize" and "Asylum" albums, released in the mid-1980s, can be viewed as interconnected, forming an unofficial two-part concept album.

Part One: Animalize - Unleashing the Beasts

"Animalize," released in 1984, marked a significant moment in KISS's discography. The album, featuring tracks like "Heaven's on Fire" and "Thrills in the Night," showcased a revitalized band shedding its earlier personas and embracing a more modern, glam-influenced sound. In the context of our proposed concept, "Animalize" serves as the initiation phase, introducing listeners to a world where primal instincts and untamed desires reign supreme.

The album cover, featuring animal prints, hints at the untamed and wild themes within. Songs like "Burn Bitch Burn" and "Under the Gun" echo this primal energy, portraying a narrative of uninhibited passion and the pursuit of pleasure. The album art and lyrics work in tandem, inviting listeners to explore a landscape dominated by raw, instinctual forces.

Part Two: Asylum - The Surreal Journey Continues

As "Animalize" opens the gateway to a world dominated by animalistic impulses, "Asylum" (1985) takes the listener deeper into a realm of surreal experiences and fantastical narratives. The cover art, adorned with vibrant colors and eccentric imagery, signals a departure from the raw, primal themes of "Animalize." Instead, "Asylum" introduces an environment where reality blurs, and the boundaries between the ordinary and the extraordinary become increasingly ambiguous.

Songs like "Tears Are Falling" and "Uh! All Night" convey a sense of emotional intensity and unpredictability, mirroring the unpredictability of a surreal dreamscape. The album's lyrical content, coupled with its eclectic musical arrangements, propels the listener into a world where the bizarre and the fantastical coexist. Together, "Animalize" and "Asylum" weave a narrative that transcends the conventional rock album structure, creating a continuous storyline.

Connecting the Threads:

While KISS has not officially acknowledged "Animalize" and "Asylum" as a conceptual pair, examining the albums in tandem reveals an intriguing narrative arc. From the untamed, instinct-driven realm of "Animalize" to the surreal, dreamlike landscape of "Asylum," KISS takes its audience on a sonic journey that transcends traditional rock storytelling.

Conclusion:

In the vast tapestry of rock music, KISS has often been celebrated for their ability to evolve and reinvent themselves. By exploring the thematic threads connecting "Animalize" and "Asylum," one can appreciate the depth and complexity that KISS brought to their music during the mid-1980s. Whether intentional or serendipitous, these albums together form a captivating two-part concept album, inviting listeners to delve into a world where primal instincts and surreal dreams collide.

My KISS Odyssey : A Tale of Italian Fandom
Coming 2024

https://forums.metalsludge.tv/forums/vi ... 1&t=384192
DangerZone
Debut Album Goes Gold

Re: Unveiling the Concept: KISS's "Animalize" and "Asylum" as Parts One and Two of a Rock Odyssey

Post by DangerZone »

nah

A for effort
Bono Nettencourt
MSX Tour Support Act

Re: Unveiling the Concept: KISS's "Animalize" and "Asylum" as Parts One and Two of a Rock Odyssey

Post by Bono Nettencourt »

This guy didn't get laid for NYE.
ijwthstd wrote: obviously you take this way too seriously and were deeply affected by what transpired in the early 1990's and hopefully you are discussing these issues with a therapist in addition to other fans on music message boards.
Tenacious_Dio
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by Tenacious_Dio »

It's a shame that this guy managed to get banned from the only forum that might give a shit about anything he posts. :|
GoodJudge
Playing Decent Clubs in a Bus

Post by GoodJudge »

Roland Rockover wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2023 7:04 pm Songs like "Tears Are Falling" and "Uh! All Night" convey a sense of emotional intensity and unpredictability, mirroring the unpredictability of a surreal dreamscape.
Thanks for my first LOL of 2024. Keep 'em coming.
maninblack
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by maninblack »

GoodJudge wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2024 1:43 am
Roland Rockover wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2023 7:04 pm Songs like "Tears Are Falling" and "Uh! All Night" convey a sense of emotional intensity and unpredictability, mirroring the unpredictability of a surreal dreamscape.
Thanks for my first LOL of 2024. Keep 'em coming.
:lol:
Zinny
Headlining Clubs

Post by Zinny »

The only concept these albums have in common is that the songs are about putting logs in different fireplaces.
maninblack
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by maninblack »

Zinny wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2024 5:24 am The only concept these albums have in common is that the songs are about putting logs in different fireplaces.
RaceFan3
Debut Album Goes Gold

Post by RaceFan3 »

It's a bit of a stretch, though I can see where the theory comes from. It might be more accurate, however, to say that Animalize and Asylum are basically Paul Stanley solo albums because Gene didn't give a fuck about making music at the time.

That being said, the best tracks from each record would make a strong mid-80's KISS record.
*I kinda want a new screenname. Seriously. I barely watch racing anymore. :x
TooOldToCare
Playing Shitty Clubs in a Van

Post by TooOldToCare »

Andy Kauffman IS still alive.
Love_Industry
Signed to a Major Label Multi-Album Deal

Post by Love_Industry »

RaceFan3 wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2024 6:25 am Animalize and Asylum are basically Paul Stanley solo albums because Gene didn't give a fuck about making music at the time.
Trivia for Kisstards: everyone knows Gene used a Paul title for Love's a Deadly Weapon, but the music is more or less ripped from Plasmatics's song Party. Rod Swenson and Wes Beech got credited for that.
DangerZone
Debut Album Goes Gold

Post by DangerZone »

RaceFan3 wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2024 6:25 am It's a bit of a stretch, though I can see where the theory comes from. It might be more accurate, however, to say that Animalize and Asylum are basically Paul Stanley solo albums because Gene didn't give a fuck about making music at the time.

That being said, the best tracks from each record would make a strong mid-80's KISS record.

1) I’ve Had Enough
2) Who Wants to be lonely
3) tears are falling
4) Uh! All night
RaceFan3
Debut Album Goes Gold

Post by RaceFan3 »

DangerZone wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2024 7:35 am
RaceFan3 wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2024 6:25 am It's a bit of a stretch, though I can see where the theory comes from. It might be more accurate, however, to say that Animalize and Asylum are basically Paul Stanley solo albums because Gene didn't give a fuck about making music at the time.

1) I’ve Had Enough
2) Who Wants to be lonely
3) tears are falling
4) Uh! All night
5) Thrills in the Night
6) King of the Mountain
7) I'm Alive

Okay so more like an EP 8)

You could MAYBE include Burn Bitch Burn (fireplace logs included) and Trial by Fire for a full album.
*I kinda want a new screenname. Seriously. I barely watch racing anymore. :x
Turner Coates
Playing First Stage at SludgeFest

Post by Turner Coates »

Roland Rockover wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2023 7:04 pm
While KISS has not officially acknowledged "Animalize" and "Asylum" as a conceptual pair, examining the albums in tandem reveals an intriguing narrative arc. From the untamed, instinct-driven realm of "Animalize" to the surreal, dreamlike landscape of "Asylum," KISS takes its audience on a sonic journey that transcends traditional rock storytelling.

I reckon all songs are folk songs. I ain't never heard no horses singing any.
maninblack
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by maninblack »

Turner Coates wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2024 8:25 am
Roland Rockover wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2023 7:04 pm
Spongie
Playing Shitty Clubs in a Van

Post by Spongie »

Roland Rockover
Wannabe Rocker

RaceFan3 wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2024 6:25 am
Well said! Combining the best tracks from "Animalize" and "Asylum" would create a potent mid-80s KISS record that encapsulates the band's musical prowess during this period. The synthesis of the heavier, glam-infused elements from "Animalize" with the refined and accessible tunes from "Asylum" would strike a balance, representing the diverse sonic landscape KISS navigated in the mid-1980s.
GoodJudge

Post by GoodJudge »

Roland Rockover wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2024 1:00 am
RaceFan3 wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2024 6:25 am
Well said! Combining the best tracks from "Animalize" and "Asylum" would create a potent mid-80s KISS record that encapsulates the band's musical prowess during this period. The synthesis of the heavier, glam-infused elements from "Animalize" with the refined and accessible tunes from "Asylum" would strike a balance, representing the diverse sonic landscape KISS navigated in the mid-1980s.
This has got to be one of the regular posters using ChatGPT. My son in law has just used it to design a restaurant menu and the writing style is not far off the above.
Roland Rockover
Wannabe Rocker

Hey, I assure you I'm as real as the crunchy guitar riffs in a hair metal anthem. Let's keep the conversation rockin' – feel free to ask me anything about hair metal or beyond!
Tenacious_Dio
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by Tenacious_Dio »

Roland Rockover wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2024 3:44 am feel free to ask me anything
Love_Industry
Signed to a Major Label Multi-Album Deal

Post by Love_Industry »

RaceFan3 wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2024 8:01 am
Okay so more like an EP 8)

You could MAYBE include Burn Bitch Burn (fireplace logs included) and Trial by Fire for a full album.
Add Kiss versions of a couple of the songs Vinnie Vincent wrote and demoed for Animalize with Hirsh Gardner and you have a better album.
Most of them ended up on VVI, but the OTT guitar w*nking wasn't part of the demos.
BernieTaupson

Post by BernieTaupson »

Is this material part of your book or are these bonus chapters?
Dyslexicheart
Debut Album Goes Gold

Post by Dyslexicheart »

Two gawd-awful albums. The End.