THE MILLION DOLLAR QUESTION IS ... Would Wolfgang Van Halen be even remotely popular, if Pops was still alive?

The one that started it all. Spreading gossip and insults since 1998.

Moderator: Metal Sludge

Black Stuff
Doing Package Tours in Theaters

Re: THE MILLION DOLLAR QUESTION IS ... Would Wolfgang Van Halen be even remotely popular, if Pops was still alive?

Post by Black Stuff »

Nope, not at all!
Last edited by Black Stuff on Thu Jan 04, 2024 12:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The power of Sludge compels you.
SterileEyes1
MSX Tour Support Act

Re: THE MILLION DOLLAR QUESTION IS ... Would Wolfgang Van Halen be even remotely popular, if Pops was still alive?

Post by SterileEyes1 »

I think it’d be about the same as it is now. Maybe a bit more even since his dad would no doubt be out there advocating for him.
My Video Covers: https://www.youtube.com/@therealjeffstein/

"Diary Of A Madman"
"Aja"
"Atlas, Rise!"
“Sludge Factory”
"Locomotive"

My Original Music: https://jeffstein.bandcamp.com
MetalSludgeCEO
Playing First Stage at SludgeFest

Post by MetalSludgeCEO »

SterileEyes1 wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 12:27 pm I think it’d be about the same as it is now. Maybe a bit more even since his dad would no doubt be out there advocating for him.
You're HIGHER than Donnie Vie was in 1989.

Not a soul would give a flying Fart about Porky WVH...

The only reason he's getting any play at all, is simply because the hope for Pops doing a reunion, or other, is officially been silenced.

So... we get the youth Summer Camp version of VH and it's about as exciting as watching paint dry on a bathroom wall at Burger King.

It's essentially a "We loved your Dad" tour and career til all the 55-60+ year olds are dead... then nobody will really care... as he has virtually NO fans his own age.

Look at any video, and it's a bunch of old dudes, staring at him like John Hinckley Jr. eyeing up Jodie Foster!

Also... nobody will address the elephant in the room. Sad.

$tEvil
SterileEyes1
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by SterileEyes1 »

MetalSludgeCEO wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 12:32 pm
SterileEyes1 wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 12:27 pm I think it’d be about the same as it is now. Maybe a bit more even since his dad would no doubt be out there advocating for him.

$tEvil

Lol I’m not surprised we disagree on this one, CEO. You asked! 8)

Also, yes, I’ve been pretty goddamned high in my day. Still my opinion on this subject and sticking to it :D

Happy New Year sir, looking forward to another 362 days of this in 2024.
My Video Covers: https://www.youtube.com/@therealjeffstein/

"Diary Of A Madman"
"Aja"
"Atlas, Rise!"
“Sludge Factory”
"Locomotive"

My Original Music: https://jeffstein.bandcamp.com
Love_Industry
Signed to a Major Label Multi-Album Deal

Post by Love_Industry »

He would then be the bassist in a Diamond selling band touring arenas regularly and maybe releasing one more studio album. It's not like Ed didn't have more demos to pilfer.

So yes, as that would give his solo career a push. Maybe pops and Uncle Dave would guest on his album and tell him that he can do better than second rate 90s rock?
MetalSludgeCEO

Post by MetalSludgeCEO »

Love_Industry wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 12:47 pm He would then be the bassist in a Diamond selling band touring arenas regularly and maybe releasing one more studio album. It's not like Ed didn't have more demos to pilfer.

So yes, as that would give his solo career a push. Maybe pops and Uncle Dave would guest on his album and tell him that he can do better than second rate 90s rock?

""""""""""""""Uncle Dave would guest on his album """""""""""""""

Dave wouldn't give him a ride to the Arcade or In N' Out Burger.

It's clear Roth thinks the kid is a pile up, as he hasn't said word 1 about him since Ed bought the farm.

Unless I missed it...?

Dave isn't doing any favors for anyone, outside of himself... and def not Pork Rind!

Wolfgang is 100% the antithesis of everything Roth stands for.

$tEvil
MetalSludgeCEO

Post by MetalSludgeCEO »

SterileEyes1 wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 12:36 pm

$tEvil

Lol I’m not surprised we disagree on this one, CEO. You asked! 8)

Also, yes, I’ve been pretty goddamned high in my day. Still my opinion on this subject and sticking to it :D

Happy New Year sir, looking forward to another 362 days of this in 2024.
"""""""""""""Happy New Year sir, looking forward to another 362 days of this in 2024."""""""""""""""

Ditto!

$tEvil :D
Black Stuff
Doing Package Tours in Theaters

Post by Black Stuff »

MetalSludgeCEO wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 12:51 pm

""""""""""""""Uncle Dave would guest on his album """""""""""""""

Dave isn't doing any favors for anyone, outside of himself... and def not Pork Rind!

[/quote]

Dave was always just about Dave
The power of Sludge compels you.
LAglamrocker

Post by LAglamrocker »

I like Wolfie is Rawkstar
He is also jump rope champion
It will be interesting who the father of his kids will be
Jani Lane and Bret Michaels should form a band called "Nelson II"
LSD69
Headlining Clubs

Post by LSD69 »

Portly....Yes

Untalented....No.
HottKarl777
Playing Decent Clubs in a Bus

Post by HottKarl777 »

Look at any video, and it's a bunch of old dudes, staring at him like John Hinckley Jr. eyeing up Jodie Foster!

$tEvil

:lol: :lol: jesus christ dude
BernieTaupson

Post by BernieTaupson »

Turner Coates

Post by Turner Coates »

LAglamrocker wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 3:35 pm I like Wolfie is Rawkstar
He is also jump rope champion
It will be interesting who the father of his kids will be

I reckon all songs are folk songs. I ain't never heard no horses singing any.
skinni
Having Slaughter Open for You

Post by skinni »

I find him to be a very talented musician and I enjoy both of his albums.

A: It appears from video footage and interviews that their father-son bond was strong. EVH known for his loyalty and generosity, wouldn't have hesitated to lend a hand if his son ever needed it. As a titan in the music world and a proud father, he would have jumped at the chance to mentor him and would have gladly used his connections and clout to give his son a leg up in the industry. With proper parental guidance and support, WVH might have navigated challenges and difficult situations with greater maturity, grace and restraint, and hence avoided the online controversies and outbursts. Within this 'ideal' scenario, he would have been more popular and much bigger (about a ton)....
Turner Coates

Post by Turner Coates »

I reckon all songs are folk songs. I ain't never heard no horses singing any.
MetalSludgeCEO

Post by MetalSludgeCEO »

skinni wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 7:24 pm I find him to be a very talented musician and I enjoy both of his albums.

A: It appears from video footage and interviews that their father-son bond was strong. EVH known for his loyalty and generosity, wouldn't have hesitated to lend a hand if his son ever needed it. As a titan in the music world and a proud father, he would have jumped at the chance to mentor him and would have gladly used his connections and clout to give his son a leg up in the industry. With proper parental guidance and support, WVH might have navigated challenges and difficult situations with greater maturity, grace and restraint, and hence avoided the online controversies and outbursts. Within this 'ideal' scenario, he would have been more popular and much bigger (about a ton)....
""""""""""""""With proper parental guidance and support""""""""""""""

Like a guide who would help their kid pick multiple items off a Menu to eat?

$tEvil
El Vampiro Blanco
Headlining Clubs

Post by El Vampiro Blanco »

skinni wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 7:24 pm I find him to be a very talented musician and I enjoy both of his albums.

Or, more likely, Eddie would have retreated to his studio drinking himself silly for another 10 years and Wolfgang would have been in his bedroom eating himself silly. Like he does now, with his wife alongside him in desperation.
BernieTaupson

Post by BernieTaupson »

El Vampiro Blanco wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 2:31 am Or, more likely, Eddie would have retreated to his studio drinking himself silly for another 10 years and Wolfgang would have been in his bedroom eating himself silly. Like he does now, with his wife alongside him in desperation.
Don’t be fucking stupid.

He said he also hangs out with his mom’s cats.

https://blabbermouth.net/news/wolfgang- ... reer-first
Wild Obsession
Debut Album Goes Gold

Post by Wild Obsession »

No........

His album sales are Van Halen completists, and his touring is buy on gigs.

As I have said before, if Waffle and his band were playing your local sports bar on a Friday night, nobody (noooo body) would be compelled to find out who this singer/band was.

A competent, yet completely forgettable/generic modern rock band, fronted by a sullen, slovenly man-child would not be "popular" (without the " EVH silver spoon").

I can maybe see the fat fuck jerking out his Foo Fighters inspired vanilla dad rock in the studio, but I absolutely don't get the motivation behind the "shoehorned" live performance/band aspect?

He looks fucking gross and has zero charisma as a performer, if anything, he seems uncomfortable on stage.

IMO he would have been better off working with a lead singer/frontman, and just stuck with the (pedestrian) songwriting and guitar.
MetalSludgeCEO

Post by MetalSludgeCEO »

El Vampiro Blanco wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 2:31 am

Or, more likely, Eddie would have retreated to his studio drinking himself silly for another 10 years and Wolfgang would have been in his bedroom eating himself silly. Like he does now, with his wife alongside him in desperation.
""""""""""""""""Or, more likely, Eddie would have retreated to his studio drinking himself silly for another 10 years and Wolfgang would have been in his bedroom eating himself silly. Like he does now, with his wife alongside him in desperation.""""""""""""""""

I liked Van Halen... and without them, we likely don't get Motley Crue, Ratt, Bon Jovi and much of the rest.

But... outside of Dave's over the top "Look at all the people here tonight" for a decade or two straight... the rest of VH had little to no imprint, socially speaking.

Meaning the following...

It's very Poison.... in other words... Bret has been front and center for the duration... and continued to thrust himself into the spotlight, in any way he could.

Meanwhile, Bobby Dall (outside of their live Poison shows) hasn't said word 1 for the last 3 decades. Pretty much the same applies for DeVille. And it's not a dis, it's just a reality. I don't think Dall has ever had any social media, and CC only rarely has posted or stepped out to make himself seen or known.

They have ignored, or run from the press... while Dave and Bret have embraced it, for the good or the bad.

Van Halen was the same, only there wasn't any social media in the late 80's or 90's. Eddie was a drunk recluse, who basically drank, smoked and went to various restaurants in Studio City to eat. Other than that... he was locked up in his studio and barely said a word to anyone for 20+ years. Same applied for his brother.

Micahel Anthony was always about the people, showing up at bars, jamming with cover-bands, (esp the VH ones) and hanging out at NAMM, and grabbing tours with Sammy or someone else. Roth, like Bret, was all over the place, solo shows, solo music, etc...

If Ed was still alive... Wolfie would be doing next to nothing the same. His old man was paranoid, and felt like everyone was out to get him (kind of like his son is now). If Ed did an interview with SPIN or Rolling Stone... he would find a reason to be mad, that somehow his words got twisted, and then blackball that rag, their editor, and he would go silent for another 5-8 years or more.

Any of you thinking Wolfie would be getting even 20% of this press, etc... if Pops was still breathing are sadly mistaken. Nobody cared... he was in VH for how long? And the only time it moved the needle, is when an article came out about "Why Michael Anthony was getting rail-roaded"... and that's a fact.

$tEvil
GreatWhiteSnake
Playing a Package Tour in Arenas

Post by GreatWhiteSnake »

Really? That's the million dollar question? OK...
GWS video of the week Seven Seconds of Shred https://youtu.be/6DAqH3eKqEM?si=N2I9eU92_ovsb69d updated 3/9/24
https://soundcloud.com/crunch-104998557
Velvis
Playing Shitty Clubs in a Van

Post by Velvis »

I agree. He's talented enough to take his Dad's fame and be modestly successful. I don't see how Eddie being alive or dead would make any difference.

If I am not mistaken, Wolfie doesn't play any VH material so I don't understand how that translates into people liking or not liking WVH because EVH is dead or not dead. "Oh Eddies gone, but Wolfie plays all the VH hits! Lets go!" Thats not true so why do these 50+ year old guys go to see WVH? Just because his dads dead? Where is the logic in that?

The CEO for some reason can't deal with Wolfie on any level. And honestly Stevie's always preaching cool things on his instagram about life and what not and he seems like a sincere and genuine guy happy for what he has, but he just comes across as a douche when it comes to WVH.

And this is coming from someone who isn't a fan of WVH or even VH particularly. I've got no horse in the race.
Ozzy Stradlin

Post by Ozzy Stradlin »

No.
LAglamrocker

Post by LAglamrocker »

Best thing that could happen to Wolfie did..his dads casket
Becomes Hostess Ding Dong Fatburger champion of the people
His music actually sucks more than his dads fans
Mom still pays for Wolfie personal chef
Wolfie married an actual ugly anorexic gold digger
Jani Lane and Bret Michaels should form a band called "Nelson II"
El Vampiro Blanco
Headlining Clubs

Post by El Vampiro Blanco »

If I am not mistaken, Wolfie doesn't play any VH material so I don't understand how that translates into people liking or not liking WVH because EVH is dead or not dead. "Oh Eddies gone, but Wolfie plays all the VH hits! Lets go!"
Because some people are super fans.
I was a huge Kiss fan when I was young to the extent I'd buy albums just because Gene simmons produced them, even though they were crap.
Some percentage of the VH fans will be the same and support WVH just because he is Ed's son...
Velvis
Playing Shitty Clubs in a Van

Post by Velvis »

El Vampiro Blanco wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2024 1:59 am
If I am not mistaken, Wolfie doesn't play any VH material so I don't understand how that translates into people liking or not liking WVH because EVH is dead or not dead. "Oh Eddies gone, but Wolfie plays all the VH hits! Lets go!"
Because some people are super fans.
I was a huge Kiss fan when I was young to the extent I'd buy albums just because Gene simmons produced them, even though they were crap.
Some percentage of the VH fans will be the same and support WVH just because he is Ed's son...
Yes, I get that. However, the topic at hand was CEO saying if EVH was still alive he would not be as popular.

Eddie Van Schrodinger doesn't make a difference to WVHs popularity.

I believe the same amount of people would like WVH regardless of EVH being alive or not.
BernieTaupson

Post by BernieTaupson »

He bunnyhopped off his father’s death to promote his album. You think Howard Stern would want to talk to Ed’s son if Ed was still around just because he was releasing a solo album? Not a chance in hell.

He went on Stern like a week after Ed died and talked about Ed dying and oh by the way he gave me his guitars and oh by the way I’m playing them on this new album that just coincidentally is coming out soon and the new single drops tomorrow and it’s called Distance and here it is.

BLATANT.

And then a few months later Valerie cashed in on it by writing another book that all the One Day At A Time boomer cat ladies only bought to read about her at her dying ex-husband’s bedside. And she also spilt the tea about Ed and Janie not being together anymore, which is something neither of them had announced.

BLATANT!
Gibsonite
Cockblocked by Poison

Post by Gibsonite »

He'd be on a package tour of bowling alleys with Evan Stanley and the band with Weiland & Trujillo's kids
HueyRamone

Post by HueyRamone »

BernieTaupson wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 5:08 pm Image
Is this a semihollow? Cause he's making it look like a mandolin.

Maybe it's just a reg guitar with a fhole sticker...
Don't Damn Me wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2023 7:21 pm Dummy, are you aware that hydroxy-chloroqin and Ivermectin have since been proven effective?