RIP ... James Kottak, Dead at 61.

The one that started it all. Spreading gossip and insults since 1998.

Moderator: Metal Sludge

Ryan81
Headlining Clubs

Re: RIP ... James Kottak, Dead at 61.

Post by Ryan81 »

R.I.P. to James. That's too bad.

When you're at the point where your vice has you on the brink of death then you really are probably better off dead because it's no way to live. Especially with alcohol because it kills you slowly. This is coming from somebody who is now addicted to that goddamn fetty-powder (it did get me off the smack though). I'd much rather be where I'm at than be an alcoholic on the brink of death. That would have to be miserable.

A bit off-topic: So is Mikky Dee a tweaker? I mean he was in Motorhead and he looks like he has lived pretty hard. Not to mention the Scorpions, at least in their heyday, were pretty heavily into coke. Enough so that Jason Newsted was concerned. Anyway, great drummer who has been in some kick ass bands including King Diamond, Don Dokken, Motorhead, and Scorpions. That is a great resume.

Nevertheless...a shame about James.
Love_Industry
Signed to a Major Label Multi-Album Deal

Post by Love_Industry »

Ryan81 wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 12:32 pm
A bit off-topic: So is Mikky Dee a tweaker? I mean he was in Motorhead and he looks like he has lived pretty hard. Not to mention the Scorpions, at least in their heyday, were pretty heavily into coke. Enough so that Jason Newsted was concerned.
Mikkey said many times that Lemmy told him he would fire him from Motörhead if he started doing drugs. He also said to a Swedish newspaper that he is afraid that cocaine may feel too good. So no drugs, at least not since joining Motörhead. King Diamond was a bunch of young guys getting their first taste of rock stardom so it may have been different. Two other KD members were def into drugs.

Mikkey drank beer and vodka for sure, maybe smoked dope too, but nothing more for the last 30 years. Remember the man has been in a relationship for about the same time and has a son born 1996. Swedish media portrays him more like a happy family man than rock and roll maniac and he's regularly in reality shows, game shows et al.
DemonFilth2001
Signed to a Major Label Multi-Album Deal

Post by DemonFilth2001 »

Ryan81 wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 12:32 pm R.I.P. to James. That's too bad.

When you're at the point where your vice has you on the brink of death then you really are probably better off dead because it's no way to live. Especially with alcohol because it kills you slowly. This is coming from somebody who is now addicted to that goddamn fetty-powder (it did get me off the smack though). I'd much rather be where I'm at than be an alcoholic on the brink of death. That would have to be miserable.

A bit off-topic: So is Mikky Dee a tweaker? I mean he was in Motorhead and he looks like he has lived pretty hard. Not to mention the Scorpions, at least in their heyday, were pretty heavily into coke. Enough so that Jason Newsted was concerned. Anyway, great drummer who has been in some kick ass bands including King Diamond, Don Dokken, Motorhead, and Scorpions. That is a great resume.

Damn dude! Your doing fetty now??? 😳

Really hope you get some help. That shit is a death sentence. Just a matter of time. Where do you live?
KEYBOARD WARRIOR!
PBFSUCKS
Playing Shitty Clubs in a Van

Post by PBFSUCKS »

Serious question here, and no judgement on you as you are open about addiction.

When you say being addicted to alcohol is no way to live and a slow death, I wonder the difference is to heroin and now the fetty. To me, a casual drinker, it seems like the way you have it would be way worse. Again, I’ve been lucky enough to not have an addictive personality but I can’t picture opiate addiction being a “better” option. Are you able to maintain a solid work life? Is it cheaper overall?

I’m honestly intrigued and I also hope you can eventually kick your addiction, if you don’t want to answer, no problem.
Michael Hotts Ghost
Doing 10 Questions with Metal Sludge

Post by Michael Hotts Ghost »

Kottak looked like a different person in that Blabbermouth picture.

I think he was always a coke head. I saw him at a club in LA back in 2005 ish and he was chewing the side of his face off. I just pictured him running around with Tommy Lees sister and Tommy and them all doing blow/ meth together.

Certainly not a surprise that hes gone.
Zabooka
Playing Decent Clubs in a Bus

Post by Zabooka »

Will Jason Bonham be replacing him in Kingdom Come?
Velvis
Playing Shitty Clubs in a Van

Post by Velvis »

Sleek wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 4:18 pm Bleh.

Many times in my life I have been sober and thought: "I think Imma have some booz, it will elevate my mood and make me happier."

Never in my life have I thought: "Gosh, I wish I was sober".

Mind you, I am not a problem imbiber (shut up Huey).
You sound like a problem imbiber.
Sleek
Playing a Package Tour in Arenas

Post by Sleek »

I CAN QUIT ANY TIME I WANT.

...but seriously. Alcohol has had an overwhelmingly positive effect on my life. Pretty sure that without it, I would have no friends, never get IT ON or do anything fun.

I see no reason to fuck with that.
ROADHEAD wrote:I've never tasted coffee
HueyRamone wrote:I like Radio Gaga
HueyRamone wrote:QUIT FUCKING WITH MY SETLIST, ASSWIPE!

aznsquirt

Post by aznsquirt »

In memoriam, I always loved this clip of him from his brief and forgotten stint in Dio.

He played the SHIT out of this song, to the point where I almost wonder if Dio was getting annoyed with him overplaying, but man, his pocket is enormous and some of the fills are just phenomenal...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qk9Jr9B5ZgM

On a side note, I always wonder what was up with him clearly yelling "fuck you" and flipping off Larry Dennison around the 1:20 mark in this clip. He sure seems fired up.
Cindy Buzzedimisa

Post by Cindy Buzzedimisa »

You really think being a fentanyl addict is above being an alcoholic? Oh honey...

You can be an alcoholic and have a somewhat ok life. Fetty you can't. Besides the obvious you have to run with an EXTREMELY sketchy crowd to indulge in your drug of choice. You can't just cruise over to the local tavern. If hangovers are bad try opiate withdrawal. Job? Ya right. My friend works in an ER and has to deal with fentanyl OD's and people on it thinking crazy shit is wrong with them every shift. If you having this problem instead of alcohol helps you feel better then you're much worse off than you're letting on. I notice you're not answering questions about how you get by day by day. Alcoholism sucks big time for everyone involved, but most people would rather deal with a loved one that's an alcoholic than one that's a fentanyl addict.
DonJuanDeMarco
Headlining Clubs

Post by DonJuanDeMarco »

RIP James!

Like many have mentioned here, it was not just alcohol. Pills, coke, meth, sounds like he had a number of addictions. Multiply that by x amount of years. There's only so much the heart can take.

He seemed like a great, fairly successful drummer that could've kept going if he kept it in check.

We've all got our demons. I just hope we can calm them down before they take over our lives.

RIP James
"You want Don Juan DeMarco, the world's greatest lover, to talk to you? What do you know of great love?"
SchenkerFan
Headlining Clubs

Post by SchenkerFan »

He had his problems, but in his prime he was a great drummer. He played his ass of on Ultraphobic. RIP.
Demon Kogure
Passing Out Band Flyers

Post by Demon Kogure »

aznsquirt wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 3:23 pm In memoriam, I always loved this clip of him from his brief and forgotten stint in Dio.

This is amazing, thanks for the link
SchenkerFan
Headlining Clubs

Post by SchenkerFan »

aznsquirt wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 3:23 pm In memoriam, I always loved this clip of him from his brief and forgotten stint in Dio.

He played the SHIT out of this song, to the point where I almost wonder if Dio was getting annoyed with him overplaying, but man, his pocket is enormous and some of the fills are just phenomenal...

On a side note, I always wonder what was up with him clearly yelling "fuck you" and flipping off Larry Dennison around the 1:20 mark in this clip. He sure seems fired up.
I never knew he played with Dio. That is a great performance. Gave Vinny a run for his money.