Bands you thought were huge, but actually broke?

The one that started it all. Spreading gossip and insults since 1998.

Moderator: Metal Sludge

ParaDime77
Signed to a Major Label Multi-Album Deal

Bands you thought were huge, but actually broke?

Post by ParaDime77 »

Of course a lot of us grew up in the MTV era where the videos with the cars in women made you think that a lot of these bands were living Lifestyles of the Rich and famous. A fair percentage of them were on the verge of financial collapse and working side jobs. Who did you grow up thinking Had it all but they truly did not from a financial sense?
Everyone Is Someone Else's Bitch
GreatWhiteSnake
Playing a Package Tour in Arenas

Re: Bands you thought were huge, but actually broke?

Post by GreatWhiteSnake »

I was never under the illusion that many of them were massively rich but it is sad how far down the river some of them sold themselves and are now destitute...
GWS video of the week Seven Seconds of Shred https://youtu.be/6DAqH3eKqEM?si=N2I9eU92_ovsb69d updated 3/9/24
https://soundcloud.com/crunch-104998557
Bono Nettencourt
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by Bono Nettencourt »

After Slide It In and before WS '87 David Coverdale was in debt $3 million to Geffen Records and was doing anonymous New York Seltzer jingles for extra cash.

Kiss went broke in the 80s because they kept spending like it was still the 70s.
ijwthstd wrote: obviously you take this way too seriously and were deeply affected by what transpired in the early 1990's and hopefully you are discussing these issues with a therapist in addition to other fans on music message boards.
Turner Coates
Playing First Stage at SludgeFest

Post by Turner Coates »

Bono Nettencourt wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 5:47 pm Kiss went broke in the 80s because they kept spending like it was still the 70s.
A guy can't have too many pairs of zebra striped loafers and flower print pants.

I reckon all songs are folk songs. I ain't never heard no horses singing any.
Earl Skakel
Headlining Clubs

Post by Earl Skakel »

Bono Nettencourt wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 5:47 pm After Slide It In and before WS '87 David Coverdale was in debt $3 million to Geffen Records and was doing anonymous New York Seltzer jingles for extra cash.

Kiss went broke in the 80s because they kept spending like it was still the 70s.
It's funny I know a pretty highly actually very highly regarded musician especially by other musicians but they don't move very many albums so they resort to commercial jingles which if national pay very well.
The Inappropriate Earl Podcast is on Itunes or Soundcloud
https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/ina ... 96362?mt=2
https://soundcloud.com/inappropriate-earl
http://www.twitter.com/earlskakel
New comedy album out on Itunes under Earl Skakel
Traxan
Headlining Clubs

Post by Traxan »

Any time you see news on Blabbermouth about a musician offering instrument lessons via Skype you know he's in trouble.
El Vampiro Blanco
Headlining Clubs

Post by El Vampiro Blanco »

Bono Nettencourt wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 5:47 pm After Slide It In and before WS '87 David Coverdale was in debt $3 million to Geffen Records and was doing anonymous New York Seltzer jingles for extra cash.

KISS the company was living record advance to record advance (thus releasing an album every year), but Gene and Paul themselves were well off financially.
Even when their oil field tax write-off's from the 70's were deemed illegal by the government, both Gene and Paul were still able to write a million dollar check to pay off the IRS (it did cause Peter and Ace to file for bankruptcy though).
CrankerBait
Playing Shitty Clubs in a Van

Post by CrankerBait »

There have been plenty of artists since the beginning of rock who were huge, but ended up broke or deep in debt. Some were just plain financially illiterate. (I don't pretend to know how to operate with millions of dollars, but I know that not paying taxes will come back to bite you in the ass and guess that if you're netting $1 million per month, but spending twice that amount, you're not going to be able to maintain that indefinitely.) Some were too out of it to keep track of it all. Some were blatantly ripped off my managers, agents or supposed financial advisors.

Then, you have the artists who were huge for a while, but maybe didn't get any songwriting royalties, or as a band "member", instead of getting a percentage of record sales (not that those count for much anymore), merchandise and touring, got paid a salary or as a session guy in the studio. Beats the hell out of working at Walmart, but doesn't necessarily translate into three homes, a yacht and a fleet of luxury vehicles.
mrspeedgene
Headlining Clubs

Post by mrspeedgene »

KISS in the early 70's. They made it seem they were huge but they were running on fumes before ALIVE! broke. Aucoin's credit card maxed out. Paul's "hole in Bill's shoe story" puts it in perspective.
They laughed at their gods
And fought them in vain
So he turned his
back on them
And left them in pain
El Vampiro Blanco
Headlining Clubs

mrspeedgene wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 4:29 am KISS in the early 70's. They made it seem they were huge but they were running on fumes before ALIVE! broke. Aucoin's credit card maxed out. Paul's "hole in Bill's shoe story" puts it in perspective.
Even when they were really huge in 76-78, a lot of it was still smoke and mirrors.
Especially a lot of the record sales and 'hit' singles were fake, created by shipping a lot and accepting returns and by payola for the so-called hits.
Tommy2Tone84

Post by Tommy2Tone84 »

mrspeedgene wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 4:29 am KISS in the early 70's. They made it seem they were huge but they were running on fumes before ALIVE! broke. Aucoin's credit card maxed out. Paul's "hole in Bill's shoe story" puts it in perspective.
All of that was because as smart as they were, Neil and Bill were dumb as rocks and lacked common sense. While he’s not my favorite producer, Eddie Kramer produced their demo that them signed. Instead of hiring Eddie to produce the first album, Neil cut corners and went on the cheap by hiring his glorified A&R guys to produce their first two records. Which resembled almost nothing of their live show. Had Eddie produced it, the tracking order would have most likely mirrored their live set lists and SHE more than likely would have ended up on the album

Bogart also blew a six figure advance he got from Warners. Instead of puttting that money into his artists, he bought a fleet of Mercedes for himself and suits at Casablanca. He was a moron. That is why they lost their distribution deal with Warners. I can’t even blame cocaine since most of the suits at Warners were probably just as high as Neil was at the time and they managed run a tight ship. Eddie would’ve brought his clout and credibility to that debut album and produced a superior product than what we got. Which wasn’t the band’s fault. It was their two handlers faults.

Bill Aucoin was no Peter Grant or Brian Epstein. Bill should’ve set KISS up with their own record label like Peter did for Zeppelin with Swan Song and negotiated a distribution and promotion deal with a major label like Atlantic or WB.

Kissin Time was a cheap ploy and should’ve been DOA. The fact that Bill made the band go along with that is incredulous
Last edited by Tommy2Tone84 on Wed Jan 17, 2024 7:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tommy2Tone84

Post by Tommy2Tone84 »

El Vampiro Blanco wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 5:25 am
Even when they were really huge in 76-78, a lot of it was still smoke and mirrors.
Especially a lot of the record sales and 'hit' singles were fake, created by shipping a lot and accepting returns and by payola for the so-called hits.

That is how the industry worked at the time

What hit singles? They only had two, Beth in 1976 and IWMFLY in 1979. They didn’t have any other hit singles

This was fifteen years before Sound Scan. The labels based sales off units shipped not sold. The labels figured Zeppelin’s and Aerosmith’s “sales” the same way they did KISS’s.
Cindy Buzzedimisa
Playing Decent Clubs in a Bus

Post by Cindy Buzzedimisa »

I used to think if you were famous you were set the rest of your life. Even when they'd complain they were struggling financially I'd assume they were rich-people broke not broke broke. Now I see bands selling memorabilia and doing tours when they clearly don't want to because they need the money. They may never have to get a job as a waiter but that still must suck, especially since they've had a taste of the high life.
Hellsinkey

Post by Hellsinkey »

When Scott Weiland died, his ex-wife said that he was a million in debt, which was surprising.
El Vampiro Blanco
Headlining Clubs

Tommy2Tone84 wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 7:33 am

What hit singles? They only had two, Beth in 1976 and IWMFLY in 1979. They didn’t have any other hit singles

This was fifteen years before Sound Scan. The labels based sales off units shipped not sold. The labels figured Zeppelin’s and Aerosmith’s “sales” the same way they did KISS’s.
I think Casablanca already considered it a hit single if it broke the top 100 or something.
It's all in that book about Casablanca, which is an interesting read, especially since it seemed Kiss wasn't that important to them at all, they were much more concerned with Donna Summer, Village People and George Clinton it seemed.
CrankerBait
Playing Shitty Clubs in a Van

Post by CrankerBait »

Hellsinkey wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 12:00 am When Scott Weiland died, his ex-wife said that he was a million in debt, which was surprising.
Assuming she was telling the truth about that, it is sad; however, I don't find it all that surprising. Most likely, he wasn't much of a financial manager to start with. Two ex-wives and many years of drug addiction probably didn't help things. He wasn't exactly selling a lot of albums, selling lots of tickets or traveling like a top tier rock star at the time of his death.
Bono Nettencourt
MSX Tour Support Act

El Vampiro Blanco wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 1:15 am
Tommy2Tone84 wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 7:33 am

I think Casablanca already considered it a hit single if it broke the top 100 or something.
It's all in that book about Casablanca, which is an interesting read, especially since it seemed Kiss wasn't that important to them at all, they were much more concerned with Donna Summer, Village People and George Clinton it seemed.
Yeah they were primarily a disco label. Kiss were an anomaly.
ijwthstd wrote: obviously you take this way too seriously and were deeply affected by what transpired in the early 1990's and hopefully you are discussing these issues with a therapist in addition to other fans on music message boards.
risingfarce
Cockblocked by Poison

Post by risingfarce »

KISS didn't go broke, they figured out how to carry on.

KISS Co. was having financial problems, not Paul and Gene.

If you meant Peter and Ace, then you would be correct. Ace declared bankruptcy in 1995. Peter was down to his last $100,000 at that time.

To date, Ace owes the IRS somewhere in the 6 digits. He lost his reunion era house many years ago.
Ziggy Sawdust
Doing Package Tours in Theaters

Post by Ziggy Sawdust »

A lot of bands seem to be begging for change these days with cheap signed editions etc
Hell'sHungryChild wrote:
I have no desire to pay $150 to see an ant sized Ac/Dc and drink $12 beer cups.
ijwthstd
Platinum Artist

Post by ijwthstd »

CrankerBait wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 3:45 am
Hellsinkey wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 12:00 am When Scott Weiland died, his ex-wife said that he was a million in debt, which was surprising.
Assuming she was telling the truth about that, it is sad; however, I don't find it all that surprising. Most likely, he wasn't much of a financial manager to start with. Two ex-wives and many years of drug addiction probably didn't help things. He wasn't exactly selling a lot of albums, selling lots of tickets or traveling like a top tier rock star at the time of his death.
There are probably more people than we know who are legit huge but way in debt and living paycheck to paycheck even if the paychecks are in the millions
"I went and saw Chickenfoot twice. I've suffered for being Sammy's friend" - Bob Forrest
ijwthstd
Platinum Artist

Post by ijwthstd »

CrankerBait wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 3:45 am
There are probably more people than we know who are legit huge but way in debt and living paycheck to paycheck even if the paychecks are in the millions
"I went and saw Chickenfoot twice. I've suffered for being Sammy's friend" - Bob Forrest
DonJuanDeMarco
Headlining Clubs

Post by DonJuanDeMarco »

HIGHWAY 9

I remember walking into the Virgin Megastore in Times Square and they were performing to a pretty large crowd. They had a good Goo Goo Dolls meets Matchbox 20 meets Eagles sound. I just figured they were a new popular band. I bought the record and loved it.

Then a few months later I saw they were performing at Arlene's Grocery a very small bar/club downtown. I don't think they got any bigger than that unfortunately and never put out another record either!

Here's on of my favorites off of the album to get you started....
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s6KWBh4we6o
"You want Don Juan DeMarco, the world's greatest lover, to talk to you? What do you know of great love?"
Vince Neil Eats
Lugging equipment around in parent's car

Post by Vince Neil Eats »

Just read an interview with his son. According to him (take it for what it’s worth), Scott’s estate is STILL in debt despite all of the hit singles he helped write. His son is working a regular 9-5 while trying to get his music career off the ground.
Sleek
Playing a Package Tour in Arenas

Post by Sleek »

Oh man. When I was a young, I thought that anybody who had a record out or a video on MTV was rich and just living the goddamned life.

First band I ever met and hung out with was Metallica. It was such an eye opener...they were basically poor as shit at the time (RTL tour). I traded a fucked up guitar to James at an in-store for tickets and passes, and he was like: "Wait. YOU ARE GOING TO GIVE ME this guitar for tickets to OUR show??????" and immediately called somebody over to seal the deal. Damned thing wasn't worth $50.

Got to hang out after, and it was just...not glamorous, lol. I always thought backstage would be a huge party, but it was just basically dudes drinking beer long enough that they could stop sweating and get on the bus.

Then of course I later went through the whole thing with Poison where the first year was just pretty much poverty living, even after the first video was on MTV and through the first leg of that Ratt tour. I meannn, aside from DeVille who lived with his parents, nobody in the band even owned a car until after Talk Dirty to Me hit.
ROADHEAD wrote:I've never tasted coffee
HueyRamone wrote:I like Radio Gaga
HueyRamone wrote:QUIT FUCKING WITH MY SETLIST, ASSWIPE!

diablomozart
Headlining Clubs

Post by diablomozart »

Sleek wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 12:41 pm Oh man. When I was a young, I thought that anybody who had a record out or a video on MTV was rich and just living the goddamned life.

First band I ever met and hung out with was Metallica. It was such an eye opener...they were basically poor as shit at the time (RTL tour). I traded a fucked up guitar to James at an in-store for tickets and passes, and he was like: "Wait. YOU ARE GOING TO GIVE ME this guitar for tickets to OUR show??????" and immediately called somebody over to seal the deal. Damned thing wasn't worth $50.

Got to hang out after, and it was just...not glamorous, lol. I always thought backstage would be a huge party, but it was just basically dudes drinking beer long enough that they could stop sweating and get on the bus.

Then of course I later went through the whole thing with Poison where the first year was just pretty much poverty living, even after the first video was on MTV and through the first leg of that Ratt tour. I meannn, aside from DeVille who lived with his parents, nobody in the band even owned a car until after Talk Dirty to Me hit.
yeah i met metallica on the justice tour and james said they were still "in debt to elektra" at the time...pretty crazy...d.m.
Tommy2Tone84

Post by Tommy2Tone84 »

Vince Neil Eats wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 12:16 pm
Just read an interview with his son. According to him (take it for what it’s worth), Scott’s estate is STILL in debt despite all of the hit singles he helped write. His son is working a regular 9-5 while trying to get his music career off the ground.

I was shocked to find our that Scott wasn’t much of a writer in the band. The bros wrote the majority of the songs.

That’s very sad. But Scott was an addict and as was mentioned not a good or very responsible financial planner. When you have kids you need to grow up and stop being a f*ck up. Same goes for Jani Lane. That’s one of the only times I’ll compare the two
McQuade
Jamming in Parent's Basement

Post by McQuade »

Ramones. Despite their legendary status as godfathers of punk rock it was a surprise to find out they were barely surviving financially all those years touring small clubs in a van.

According to his brother, after End of The Century, which was their most succesful album, Joey Ramone only had $5,000 saved in his bank account.

They started to get some better money in the 90’s from music and merchandise licensing. Johnny and Joey were frugal and both invested, but the hired guns like Richie and later CJ were only making like $300-$400 a week.
Bono Nettencourt
MSX Tour Support Act

Yeah Richie quit because he wanted some of the T-shirt money.
Ozzy Stradlin
Playing Decent Clubs in a Bus

Post by Ozzy Stradlin »

Bono Nettencourt wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 2:50 pm Yeah Richie quit because he wanted some of the T-shirt money.
Which he should have gotten.

Christ - he was writing songs for the band (ie “Somebody Put Something In My Drink”), so he should have been made a full member, but Johnny was, by all accounts, a dick.
Ryan81
Headlining Clubs

Post by Ryan81 »

I'd have to imagine many of the richest rock stars get a lot of their money through good investments in real estate or some other non-musical ventures.

I often wonder how well off a guy like George Lynch is. Like was he ever a millionaire at any point? Same with the guys in Judas Priest.