Did you used to mosh/stage dive?

The one that started it all. Spreading gossip and insults since 1998.

Moderator: Metal Sludge

BDG135
Platinum Artist

Did you used to mosh/stage dive?

Post by BDG135 »

Did any of you mosh and stage dive? Do they still allow it in some clubs? It was very loose back in the day, and the security was so sparse they couldn't do much to help. Any fun stories?
Not everybody is on MetalShit.com and Blabberface fuckin’ dot net! Who cares? There’s such a small amount of people that do that. - Blotz
GoodJudge
Playing Decent Clubs in a Bus

Re: Did you used to mosh/stage dive?

Post by GoodJudge »

I went to thrash shows. I was down the front as much as possible - Exodus had it right: good friendly violent fun. I haven't stagedived for years and most places don't let you now but I was last in the mosh last year for Bloodywood (Indian metal / folk music crossover).

I always hated crowdsurfers though. You can see divers coming. The first thing you know about a surfer is getting their boots in the back of your head.
Hellsinkey
Signed to a Major Label Multi-Album Deal

Post by Hellsinkey »

Yes. At late 80's, mostly at Finnish trash metal shows, with bands like Stone and Airdash etc.
SterileEyes1
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by SterileEyes1 »

When I was an angry incel teenager, hell yeah I moshed!

Slayer, Pantera, Slipknot, Korn, Limp Bizkit, Machine Head, Fear Factory, etc.

Long-since retired from it but it was a lot of fun and I’m glad I survived without too much brain damage!
My Video Covers: https://www.youtube.com/@therealjeffstein/

"Diary Of A Madman"
"Aja"
"Atlas, Rise!"
“Sludge Factory”
"Locomotive"

My Original Music: https://jeffstein.bandcamp.com
Ham Stroker's Ejacula
Transylvanian Wang

Post by Ham Stroker's Ejacula »

All the time, back in the 1980s. Hardcore, crossover, thrash. Napalm Death, Sheer Terror, Slayer, Cro-Mags, Agnostic Front, etc. Never got into surfing, but dove like a maniac. Stopped in my mid-20s, but accumulated some fun injuries (dislocated elbow, broken collar bone, deep bruises).
kytepunches
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by kytepunches »

Ham Stroker's Ejacula wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 12:22 pm All the time, back in the 1980s. Hardcore, crossover, thrash. Napalm Death, Sheer Terror, Slayer, Cro-Mags, Agnostic Front, etc. Never got into surfing, but dove like a maniac. Stopped in my mid-20s, but accumulated some fun injuries (dislocated elbow, broken collar bone, deep bruises).
Same here. I still mosh but stage diving is pretty much a thing of the past. Every metal venue here sets the space between the stage and barricades super far.
GoodJudge

Post by GoodJudge »

kytepunches wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 12:45 pm
Ham Stroker's Ejacula wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 12:22 pm All the time, back in the 1980s. Hardcore, crossover, thrash. Napalm Death, Sheer Terror, Slayer, Cro-Mags, Agnostic Front, etc. Never got into surfing, but dove like a maniac. Stopped in my mid-20s, but accumulated some fun injuries (dislocated elbow, broken collar bone, deep bruises).
Same here. I still mosh but stage diving is pretty much a thing of the past. Every metal venue here sets the space between the stage and barricades super far.
I stopped diving at gigs after seeing too many people hit the floor and not wanting the next one to be me. I stopped moshing for a few years after getting a cracked / bruised rib 4 times in the same place over about a decade, and I'm too out of condition to do more than a few songs at a time, but the right band or tune will make me feel 18 again.
Sleek
Playing a Package Tour in Arenas

Post by Sleek »

I did not.

I WAS, however, the guy who would body tackle you if you jumped up on stage to do that shit for a number of years.

It was kind of a highlight of the gig...some dumbass would jump onstage and didn't realize that there were multiple people watching them all the way up, calling dibs on who was going to take them down.

Shit was seriously like the pitcher/catcher signals in baseball...doing hand signs for: "This one's mine" from across the stage, then getting waved off with a maglight beam.

Sometimes we couldn't pull people off the sides or back of the stage, so we would have competitions to see how much air we could get chucking them off the front.

GOOD TIMES.
ROADHEAD wrote:I've never tasted coffee
HueyRamone wrote:I like Radio Gaga
HueyRamone wrote:QUIT FUCKING WITH MY SETLIST, ASSWIPE!

pieceofme

Post by pieceofme »

Yep. In my teens and early twenties. Not the heaviest person so was bounced around a lot. :lol: Also crowd surfed at a festival. Reading 2001 I think.
GrayAntiMatter wrote:EVH

Zappa is pure cult status shit. He is to music what Bruce fucking Campbell is to acting....
CrankerBait
Playing Shitty Clubs in a Van

Post by CrankerBait »

Mosh, I guess so occasionally. Stave dive, no. Never went to any really hardcore shows. Just bands like the Ramones, Rage Against the Machine and Green Day. It was fun to get to the front of the stage, bounce around for a few songs, and then enjoy the rest of the concert from a more comfortable spot.
TooOldToCare

Post by TooOldToCare »

Never. Not my thing and never understood paying to see a show to not really watch the show.
rockker
Doing 20 Questions with Metal Sludge

Post by rockker »

I moshed at an Iron Maiden concert at the age of 40, good times. All the little punk ass teens thought they’d have the upper hand on the old guy, they were wrong 😂
Kiss fans are like old men at the strip club. We know we're getting bilked but give 'em our money anyway. - Danko Jones
pieceofme

Post by pieceofme »

rockker wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 2:50 pm I moshed at an Iron Maiden concert at the age of 40, good times. All the little punk ass teens thought they’d have the upper hand on the old guy, they were wrong 😂
You really are true rocker. :)
GrayAntiMatter wrote:EVH

Zappa is pure cult status shit. He is to music what Bruce fucking Campbell is to acting....
diablomozart
Headlining Clubs

Post by diablomozart »

i was in the pit at both anthrax among the living and a slayer show both at the metroplex...i was sore for weeks after both and i was in my early 20's at the time...d.m.
Spongie

Post by Spongie »

Of course. It was a blast. To this day I wear a very visible scar over my eye from stitches received after a Korn show. Great times.
MadmanShepherd

Post by MadmanShepherd »

TooOldToCare wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 2:33 pm Never. Not my thing and never understood paying to see a show to not really watch the show.
This.

I used to mosh at school dances though and they stopped playing stuff like Green Day because of it. I was at a state event for school and there was a dance to finish the weekend. Me and 2 or maybe 3 other guys started moshing. I inadvertently bashed my shoulder right into this guys face. I see him pause, then take off to the bathroom. I felt fucking terrible. I went to the bathroom to apologize, he either had a bloody nose or mouth or something. He was like, "No problem man. That stuff happens in a mosh pit." I decided moshing was stupid and never did it and definitely look down on people that do. Obviously I dont give a fuck what people do to willing participants, but it's not like they get consent from everyone standing there.
This must be HELL for we are the damned...
Aerosmith87
Opening Act in Arenas

Post by Aerosmith87 »

Hell yeah. When you're at the right show it enhances the entire show. Mosh pits are sometimes the most friendly places in the world. If you're shoe is untied, you get a full circle blocked off until you tie your show :lol: To each their own, but I think moshing and getting in the pit makes the show better at the right show. You're definitely not missing out on the overall experience if you get in there.