NO IT'S NOT ... SEBASTIAN BACH - "My Dream Is To Get Another Song On The Radio; It's Happening"

The one that started it all. Spreading gossip and insults since 1998.

Moderator: Metal Sludge

MetalSludgeCEO
Playing First Stage at SludgeFest

NO IT'S NOT ... SEBASTIAN BACH - "My Dream Is To Get Another Song On The Radio; It's Happening"

Post by MetalSludgeCEO »

SEBASTIAN BACH - "My Dream Is To Get Another Song On The Radio; It's Happening"

> https://bravewords.com/news/sebastian-b ... 2_sWwEg7qw

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My 2-cents is as follows....

For the record, I have listened to the song, at least 6-8 times, and I couldn't tell you a single line of lyrics or any melody...

I only remember the dumb sh!t in the video, and his wife's body in the bathing suit.... the song is forgettable at best.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

It’s happening? #not

Radio is next to useless at this stage in anyone’s career who is over the age of 40 and Bach is pushing 60.

Real radio play, real rotation & the real charts, are for the modern music stars.

The young, pop stars not us washed up old dudes who looked the part in our 20’s.

Or, classic rock radio, that plays a “catalog” (music over 30 years old) in rotation equals real publishing money.

Bach’s new song won’t amount to much more than the Tuff “American Hair Band” song did back in 2001.

Or the last L.A. Guns, the latest Stryper or >insert any Frontiers Records band here<

Getting a spin on Eddie Trunk’s show for a few weeks or the “hard rock” or “80’s metal” specialty shows is great…

But it won’t amount to any real numbers, real sales or real money. #fact

Sebastian Bach signing to yet another indy label is basically giving away all (90%) of the money yet again…

The same way he (Skid Row) did in 1989 when they inked with Atlantic Records and the subsequent Bon Jovi/Sambora publishing deal…

The only difference is, back then they got 250/300k advance to record, and today, just remove the last Zero!

$25/30k… give or take.

No matter the amount, you could make MUCH more owning it and doing it on your own,

This record won’t sell 100k, probably not even 50k units…

Truth is, if Bach did all on his own, kept the masters, sold on all platforms, manufactured CDs, Vinyl, etc. he’d prolly sell 5-10k units over time, 1/5th or 1/10th of what these modern day indy labels will move.

But, he’d put 5-10x the money in HIS pockets.

I started RLS Records in 1994, and have released roughly 50 titles, of related bands and the Tuff catalog.

I invested into my own music, my own projects, and just like a real label, I’ve had some records bomb, and a few explode.

And 2-3 dozen that sit right in the middle…

I am not sh!tting on Bach’s new song, or his on-going efforts as a solo artist.

But to Sebastian, and all the other artists, let me ask you why don’t you sign a 360 deal?

And give that label 100% of the rights to your image?

To your logo? Your Tshirts, your girls swag, hoodies, posters and meet & greet money too?

Why not?

Simple answer, 9/10 of you would say that’s crazy, as at every show and thru your online personal website (store) you sell ALL this stuff, control and keep the money, right?

I couldn’t agree more…

So my final question is…

Why give up the rights to your music then?

I’ll wait…

Have a nice day and thanks for reading.

Stevie

---------------------------------------

Also... a GREAT reply, additional comments from Chris Akin of That Metal Show!

Chris Akin wrote:

While doing an interview with a prominent guy you cover regularly on Sludge, they told us they were confident their new “radio guy” was going to help them break at rock radio. Neeley asked him if that even meant anything anymore, and the artist assured us it would re-establish the band. Long story short - they gave some guy a bunch of money to launch a single. It did nothing… so little in fact that 99% of people that are actually into this music couldn’t name this song or any song from the album that was released.

The point - know your audience. Stop marketing to an audience that doesn’t have anything to do with those that made you. 50-70 year olds aren’t listening to active rock radio. They are listening to classic rock and oldies stations. Active Rock fans think Korn is oldies and associate Sebastian Bach on the same timeline as Herman and the Hermits. Kids conceived while his biggest hits were on the radio are now creeping into middle age.

Wake up Baz!

-------------------------------

And of course, I added to it...lol

Chris Akin - excellent addition to my perspective.

It’s 35 years later, and young kids (as you noted ✔️who were not even born when that SR record was released) along with the 50-70 year olds you have referenced above… (another ✔️) both will gladly turn up the volume when “18 & Life” comes on or “I Remember You”.

They will do it next year too and for years to come as those are legit hit songs.

The same way we turn it up when “Radar Love” or “Paranoid” comes on.

Not a F’ing soul will be requesting “What Have I Got To Lose”… or giving it a second though shortly after this Promo blitz.

This soon to be released new Bach record, when all is said and done, will sell less copies than our Tuff debut did.

----------------------------------

$tEvil
LAglamrocker

Re: NO IT'S NOT ... SEBASTIAN BACH - "My Dream Is To Get Another Song On The Radio; It's Happening"

Post by LAglamrocker »

Bach should find 25 year old replacement for himself and sell those CDs on his website

Hopefully the old Bach joins Powerman 5000 at Rainbow Bash for a song..Sid Vicious in a Dress
Jani Lane and Bret Michaels should form a band called "Nelson II"
StateOfShock
MSX Tour Support Act

Re: NO IT'S NOT ... SEBASTIAN BACH - "My Dream Is To Get Another Song On The Radio; It's Happening"

Post by StateOfShock »

Would you say the only reason Bach doesn't do his own label like you did is because it is hard work to do it?
LAglamrocker

Post by LAglamrocker »

I get Bach thinking i think
It’s not worth the hassle and stress. He has made a life doing what he does. Seems to make enough cash for his life happiness. He goes all in on stuff he enjoys like Cameo

I could spend way less buying cleaning supplies and doing the maid work. But I don’t want that stress. Just get topless maids. Probably 20 countries maids - no reason to fly to those countries ever. In the end I’m happy and can spend cash on Junkyard shows in Bakersfield
Jani Lane and Bret Michaels should form a band called "Nelson II"
BDG135
Platinum Artist

Post by BDG135 »

Does he have the support of iHeartRadio?
Not everybody is on MetalShit.com and Blabberface fuckin’ dot net! Who cares? There’s such a small amount of people that do that. - Blotz
GreatWhiteSnake
Playing a Package Tour in Arenas

Post by GreatWhiteSnake »

The radio? What the fuck is he talking about...
GWS video of the week Seven Seconds of Shred https://youtu.be/6DAqH3eKqEM?si=N2I9eU92_ovsb69d updated 3/9/24
https://soundcloud.com/crunch-104998557
dmbrocker
Signed to a Major Label Multi-Album Deal
Location: Rockin’ with Amber, Bradie, Laurine, Dokken, Ratt, Motley, Aerosmith, Rush, Poison…

Post by dmbrocker »

Maybe Trunk Nation at best, but even that's a stretch. What a delusional asshat.
LAglamrocker wrote: Trixter is awesome but everyone has seen After The Rain video correct? That’s one of first things I’m going thank God for
ParaDime77
Signed to a Major Label Multi-Album Deal

Post by ParaDime77 »

Lesser bands and singers than Bach have had new songs on hard rock stations the past few years. Sure, it won’t last long but it will still be on the radio waves. Everything has a one week shelflife anyway.
Everyone Is Someone Else's Bitch
LitaStrauss
Learning KISS Riffs

Post by LitaStrauss »

Extreme's song "Rise" went viral last year and had a couple million views on YouTube. People were talking about it and it had a huge buzz. And it still got zero radio play.

It's a new world. It's not 1989. Between Spotify and YouTube and the other streaming sites, you can still get a lot of people exposed to your music if it's actually good. Extreme ended up playing decent sized venues and they're still out touring on it. I think their video got more exposure than if they were on a rock radio station in like Denver or Des Moines.

Him wanting radio play would be like thinking he needs to get on MTV too. It's a bit outdated.

Unless you're Metallica or Foo Fighters, older bands aren't gonna get radio play, but that doesn't mean you still can't have a successful record.
Kid-Wicked
Opening for Helix

Post by Kid-Wicked »

i heard extreme and bach's song on sirius. not a lot but i heard it. so his dream came true.
does anyone listen to terrestrial radio for music anymore? who gives a shit if "99.9 the rock of buttfuck ohio" plays your single? who's listening?
he really has his head up his ass if he thinks radio is going to drive sales or downloads. he needs to play his solo shit live and stop playing the same tired set of oldies if he wants to be even a tiny bit relevant.
skinni
Having Slaughter Open for You

Post by skinni »

While I don't personally listen to the radio, and have doubts about obscure stations reviving his former fame, I actually enjoy the song. It might even be his best work since leaving Skid Row.

While I wish him the best, his belief in this material regaining widespread recognition might be, or perhaps, is unrealistic, as both the CEO and others have suggested above.
aznsquirt
Playing Decent Clubs in a Bus

Post by aznsquirt »

All those words are great, but the article said it's a "powerful" new single, so I don't know what to think.
Jason Jennifer Leigh
Headlining Clubs

Post by Jason Jennifer Leigh »

Myles Kennedy co-wrote this song.
factchecker
Picking a Band Name

Post by factchecker »

The last time Sebastian Bach got a song on the radio was Breakin' Down by SKID ROW in 1995 because radio fans didn't realise it was skid row.

When the dj got inundated with requests for the artists name the requests stopped immediately.

Nuff said. :roll:
MetalSludgeCEO

Post by MetalSludgeCEO »

factchecker wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2024 12:40 pm The last time Sebastian Bach got a song on the radio was Breakin' Down by SKID ROW in 1995 because radio fans didn't realise it was skid row.

When the dj got inundated with requests for the artists name the requests stopped immediately.

""""""""""""""When the dj got inundated with requests for the artists name the requests stopped immediately.""""""""""""""""""""

Something similar happened with "Tied To The Bells", also in 1995.

Actually, a station in El Paso played it a ton... and it showed... as our show there was packed, and everyone was excited for us to play the song.

It was actually within the 1st week of the tour, we had played Phx, Tucson, Albq, etc... so we were stoked... needless to say, not another radio station supported the song that way for the rest of the tour. Zero!

Also, our label released a "Mystery" disc to radio, with "Tied To The Bells", "Better Off Dead" and another song... I forgot... maybe "Sixteen Tons".

I have some copies somewhere...

Anyway, the label sent out these discs to Radio and to the Industry, with a Voice Mail / Hotline, and asked Deejays, to call the # and "Guess" who the band was.

The Deejays were calling in, and saying all kinds of bands... NONE of the guess were an 80's band either...

Once they said "It's TUFF", none of the radio stations wanted anything to do with it... no interest, thank you... but no thanks.

We could have released Alice In Chains "Rooster" with our name on it, and it would have been laughed out of the control room!

$tEvil
Kid-Wicked
Opening for Helix

Post by Kid-Wicked »

MetalSludgeCEO wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 11:15 pm
factchecker wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2024 12:40 pm The last time Sebastian Bach got a song on the radio was Breakin' Down by SKID ROW in 1995 because radio fans didn't realise it was skid row.

""""""""""""""When the dj got inundated with requests for the artists name the requests stopped immediately.""""""""""""""""""""

Something similar happened with "Tied To The Bells", also in 1995.

Actually, a station in El Paso played it a ton... and it showed... as our show there was packed, and everyone was excited for us to play the song.

It was actually within the 1st week of the tour, we had played Phx, Tucson, Albq, etc... so we were stoked... needless to say, not another radio station supported the song that way for the rest of the tour. Zero!

Also, our label released a "Mystery" disc to radio, with "Tied To The Bells", "Better Off Dead" and another song... I forgot... maybe "Sixteen Tons".

I have some copies somewhere...

Anyway, the label sent out these discs to Radio and to the Industry, with a Voice Mail / Hotline, and asked Deejays, to call the # and "Guess" who the band was.

The Deejays were calling in, and saying all kinds of bands... NONE of the guess were an 80's band either...

Once they said "It's TUFF", none of the radio stations wanted anything to do with it... no interest, thank you... but no thanks.

We could have released Alice In Chains "Rooster" with our name on it, and it would have been laughed out of the control room!

$tEvil
"TUFF recorded "Tied to the Bells" near Ben Salem, PA with producer Randy Cantor in 1992/93. But the video wasn't filmed until the summer of 1994."
did the song not get released until 95?
just gave it a listen. good tune. maybe your best. your vocals actually fit the song. well done.
but to say that NONE of the dj guessed it was an 80's band sounds like a stretch. it's not grunge and it wasn't better than ezra, seven mary three, spacehog or any of the other radio acts of the day.
DonJuanDeMarco
Headlining Clubs

Post by DonJuanDeMarco »

Kid-Wicked wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 10:09 pm but to say that NONE of the dj guessed it was an 80's band sounds like a stretch. it's not grunge and it wasn't better than ezra, seven mary three, spacehog or any of the other radio acts of the day.[/color]
I'm pretty sure Danger Danger did this too with Sick Little Twisted Mind. And Enuff Z'nuff did it with a song on the Tweaked record. They submitted it with a fake name.

I read somewhere that Steely Dan did this too. They submitted a demo under a fake name and the record company said it sounded like Steely Dan but not as good and uninspired.

It's not a bad idea actually. But what happened with the Hootie & the Blowfish guy was a one in a million chance.
"You want Don Juan DeMarco, the world's greatest lover, to talk to you? What do you know of great love?"
Kid-Wicked
Opening for Helix

Post by Kid-Wicked »

DonJuanDeMarco wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 4:52 pm
Kid-Wicked wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 10:09 pm but to say that NONE of the dj guessed it was an 80's band sounds like a stretch. it's not grunge and it wasn't better than ezra, seven mary three, spacehog or any of the other radio acts of the day.[/color]
I'm pretty sure Danger Danger did this too with Sick Little Twisted Mind. And Enuff Z'nuff did it with a song on the Tweaked record. They submitted it with a fake name.

I read somewhere that Steely Dan did this too. They submitted a demo under a fake name and the record company said it sounded like Steely Dan but not as good and uninspired.

It's not a bad idea actually. But what happened with the Hootie & the Blowfish guy was a one in a million chance.
i remember donny osmond did this in 89-90 and ended up with a couple hits.
BiggusDickus
Signed One Album Deal on Indy Label

Post by BiggusDickus »

DonJuanDeMarco wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 4:52 pm

I think it happened with Warrant with Ultraphobic too.
VinceLeeRose
Recording Your Demo

Post by VinceLeeRose »

I was listening to the local radio station, and they mentioned “Sebastian Bach has a new song out called’What Do I Got To Lose? “, but here’s one from the Skid Row days, “ I remember you”. Started cracking up. No one cares
factchecker
Picking a Band Name

Post by factchecker »

Kid-Wicked wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 10:09 pm"TUFF recorded "Tied to the Bells" near Ben Salem, PA with producer Randy Cantor in 1992/93. But the video wasn't filmed until the summer of 1994."
did the song not get released until 95?
just gave it a listen. good tune. maybe your best. your vocals actually fit the song. well done.
but to say that NONE of the dj guessed it was an 80's band sounds like a stretch. it's not grunge and it wasn't better than ezra, seven mary three, spacehog or any of the other radio acts of the day.
Came here to say this. The songs sound is very Ugly Kid Joe via Waynes World 1&2, Alice Cooper Hey Stupid 1991-1992 sounding, rather than risk putting it out post 1994 NIRVANA and SOUNDGARDEN.

"TUFF recorded "Tied to the Bells" near Ben Salem, PA with producer Randy Cantor in 1992/93. But the video wasn't filmed until the summer of 1994. This video was self financed by the band and also self produced/directed with Shawn Card. This song appears on both the "Fist First" & "Religious Fix" CDs. To order TUFF CDs, Videos, DVDs or other related merchandise please visit www.tuffcds.com or e-mail the band direct @ [email protected]"
TUFFs official Youtube description
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G1mCb78a81M

"Is this really Stevie from TUFF!?!??!!?" :(

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EDO6yZebYMg