We Are The World documentary on Netflix

The one that started it all. Spreading gossip and insults since 1998.

Moderator: Metal Sludge

fret123
Headlining Clubs

Re: We Are The World documentary on Netflix

Post by fret123 »

Whose idea was it to invite fucking Waylon Jennings lol. I love Waylon by the way.
Sleek
Playing a Package Tour in Arenas

Post by Sleek »

dmbrocker wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 7:29 pm No, but Rik Emmett was asked according to Wikipedia. Unfortunately, Triumph's touring schedule said nope. Leonard Cohen got the invite too, but was busy performing in Denmark. At least we got Mike Reno from Loverboy on this one!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VJN3u1wAWIk
First 5 seconds: Gordon Lightfoot, Burton Cummings, Anne Murray.

1:07 Bryan Adams, former singer of Sweeney Todd does the fist thing.

2:13, Geddy lee also does the fist thing.

THIS one wins.
ROADHEAD wrote:I've never tasted coffee
HueyRamone wrote:I like Radio Gaga
HueyRamone wrote:QUIT FUCKING WITH MY SETLIST, ASSWIPE!

aznsquirt
Playing Decent Clubs in a Bus

Post by aznsquirt »

BernieTaupson wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 3:47 pm No one seems to be able to say for sure if Waylon Jennings is actually on the song or not. He was credited on the cover of the single with all the names, but then in the credits of the song on the documentary he wasn’t included.
Weird, I'm not sure what article the other Wikipedia citation in this thread, but according to https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/We_Are_the_World :

"Each performer took their position at around 10:30 p.m. and began to sing. Several hours passed before Wonder announced that he would like to substitute a line in Swahili for the "sha-lum sha-lin-gay" sound,[21][22] causing Waylon Jennings to leave.[21][22] A heated debate ensued, in which several artists also rejected the suggestion. The "sha-lum sha-lin-gay" sound ran into opposition as well and was removed. Jennings returned and participated in the recording. The participants eventually decided to sing something meaningful in English. They chose to sing the new line "one world, our children", which most of the participants enjoyed.[21]"

Everything else I can find on it says there's a "dispute" over whether or not he's actually on the recording, haha.

It seems to me that if he sang on the chorus, he's likely on the track, but who knows.
Sleek

Post by Sleek »

It's unfortunate, because they seem to insinuate it's a race thing in the doco, but looking at Waylon, it seems more like it was: "This is some fucking Gunga Lagunga bullshit. I'm out."

aznsquirt

Post by aznsquirt »

Sleek wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 12:35 am It's unfortunate, because they seem to insinuate it's a race thing in the doco, but looking at Waylon, it seems more like it was: "This is some fucking Gunga Lagunga bullshit. I'm out."
There's also the fact that Waylon was not the only person who objected, he just happened to be the one who was like "fuck this".

Rather than a race thing (let's not forget that these people were agreeing to sing in a benefit for starving people in Africa, FFS), Lionel Ritchie's recollection makes it sound more like everyone being tired and ready to get this over with, and the idea of trying to get everyone to figure out pronunciation, etc was a huge PITA.
Mojo
Playing First Stage at SludgeFest

Post by Mojo »

BernieTaupson wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 3:47 pm No one seems to be able to say for sure if Waylon Jennings is actually on the song or not. He was credited on the cover of the single with all the names, but then in the credits of the song on the documentary he wasn’t included.
"Ain't no good old boy ever sang in Swahili." That's our Waylon.
Rooster wrote: I hunt with a handgun.
pieceofme wrote: Yeah, Mojo is a lot of peoples favourite!
keyofgee wrote: I am a free thinker
Image Image
BernieTaupson

Post by BernieTaupson »

Mojo wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 2:34 pm
"Ain't no good old boy ever sang in Swahili." That's our Waylon.
“Well I hope your ole plane crashes” - Waylon Jennings, February 2nd 1959
BernieTaupson

Post by BernieTaupson »

When asked how his appearance came about, Dan replied;

"Totally by accident. My father and I were interviewing business managers in LA and we walked into this office of a talent manager, and realized we were in the wrong place. I was looking for a money manager, not a talent manager. I had managed myself at that time and always have. But he said, so long as you are here, would you like to come and join this "We are the World" thing.

I thought how do I fit in here? Well, we did sell a few million records with the Blues Brothers and in my other persona I am a musician, so I showed up and was a part of it but it was totally by accident."
Nobodyspecial
Winning Local Battle of the Bands

Post by Nobodyspecial »

Yup, Bring on a Hearin' Aid documentary!
CrankerBait
Playing Shitty Clubs in a Van

Post by CrankerBait »

Cool documentary, but I came away from it thinking about how "Do They Know It's Christmas?" was a hundred times better.

"We Are The World" was at least a little better than the cringey Canadian effort, "Tears Are Not Enough". If anybody is curious about how Neil Young, Anne Murray, Joni Mitchell, Bryan Adams, Geddy Lee, Gordon Lightfoot, Burton Cummings and Mike Reno might sound trading verses in a bad song, check it out!
Mojo
Playing First Stage at SludgeFest

Post by Mojo »

BernieTaupson wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 1:40 am “Well I hope your ole plane crashes” - Waylon Jennings, February 2nd 1959
And that tortured him for the rest of his life.
Rooster wrote: I hunt with a handgun.
pieceofme wrote: Yeah, Mojo is a lot of peoples favourite!
keyofgee wrote: I am a free thinker
Image Image
dweezil

Post by dweezil »

Rocker4Real wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 10:02 am A Voices That Care doc would be entertaining for me. I wanna know if it was Jani's idea to take off his John Lennon glasses and look into the camera during the video.
Here you go... I remember when this aired.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AM8-F0xNiPI
Sleek wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 11:30 pm

THIS one wins.
Welll sumbitch.... there's a doc on Tears Are Not Enough.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RhfPbpUYX5A
You can listen to my two albums here.... Sludge away, fuckers!

http://easeintothenoise.bandcamp.com
Rocker4Real
Opening Act in Local Bars

Post by Rocker4Real »

dweezil wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 6:23 am
Rocker4Real wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 10:02 am A Voices That Care doc would be entertaining for me. I wanna know if it was Jani's idea to take off his John Lennon glasses and look into the camera during the video.
Here you go... I remember when this aired.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AM8-F0xNiPI
Sleek wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 11:30 pm

THIS one wins.
Welll sumbitch.... there's a doc on Tears Are Not Enough.

...but does it answer the question about Jani taking off his glasses?
Tommy2Tone84
Signed to a Major Label Multi-Album Deal

Post by Tommy2Tone84 »

Bono Nettencourt wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 9:34 am Maybe it was because she couldn't sing... I'm sure that she needed a LOT of work in the studio to sound good and they didn't have that kind of time. Can see her being self-aware enough to realize that too.
This. Cyndi could sing and was a little older, she was in her early 30s at the time. Madonna, as popular as she was, was never the best singer.

Prince was too egotistical and egocentric to be involved in something like this.
MickeyG
Doing 20 Questions with Metal Sludge

Post by MickeyG »

Watching this now and it just mentioned Van Halen was on tour.
MickeyG
Doing 20 Questions with Metal Sludge

Post by MickeyG »

Cool Quincy had Bob Geldof give a pep talk before they started recording.
LitaStrauss
Learning KISS Riffs

Post by LitaStrauss »

MickeyG wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 1:50 pm Watching this now and it just mentioned Van Halen was on tour.
Yeah they got that wrong. In January of 1985, Van Halen was already done with the 1984 tour. They finished in September 84. They weren't on the road, but Dave did release his EP "Crazy From The Heat" that week, so that's probably why he was busy.
dmbrocker
Signed to a Major Label Multi-Album Deal
Location: Rockin’ with Amber, Bradie, Laurine, Dokken, Ratt, Motley, Aerosmith, Rush, Poison…

Post by dmbrocker »

dweezil wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 6:23 am Welll sumbitch.... there's a doc on Tears Are Not Enough.

Featuring John Candy, no less. He must've thought "Well, if Dan Aykroyd can guest on 'We Are the World' then I can join one, too!". Geddy Lee at the 29:03 mark for the Rush fans, BTW.
LAglamrocker wrote: Trixter is awesome but everyone has seen After The Rain video correct? That’s one of first things I’m going thank God for
SterileEyes1
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by SterileEyes1 »

Finally saw this last week. Agreed that it was too long but I still enjoyed it. Huey Lewis always strikes me as one of the more pleasant and agreeable people out there.

Bono Nettencourt wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 9:34 am Maybe it was because she couldn't sing... I'm sure that she needed a LOT of work in the studio to sound good and they didn't have that kind of time. Can see her being self-aware enough to realize that too.

I seriously doubt any of this. I haven’t personally heard her sing raw, but my dad played in a band with her half brother when I was a kid, I still have the demos, and let’s just say there is plenty of raw singing talent in that family. Whatever “it” is, this guy had it. I have no doubt his sister did in her prime as well.

Besides, they had Dylan on this thing. I don’t think not being Pavarotti in the vocal department was a concern.
My Video Covers: https://www.youtube.com/@therealjeffstein/

"Diary Of A Madman"
"Aja"
"Atlas, Rise!"
“Sludge Factory”
"Locomotive"

My Original Music: https://jeffstein.bandcamp.com
DangerZone
Debut Album Goes Gold

Post by DangerZone »

🤔
🤔
🤔
SterileEyes1
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by SterileEyes1 »

TooOldToCare wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 6:30 pm I started a 3 season series called Loudermilk. If you're an Office Space fan, you'll like this dark comedy. Same actor, Ron Livingston plays a sobriety counselor who also is in his sobriety

Read this thread earlier and started this show tonight based on this post. First episode was great and gonna keep on going. Thanks!

"Diary Of A Madman"
"Aja"
"Atlas, Rise!"
“Sludge Factory”
"Locomotive"

Bono Nettencourt
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by Bono Nettencourt »

SterileEyes1 wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 6:12 pm Finally saw this last week. Agreed that it was too long but I still enjoyed it. Huey Lewis always strikes me as one of the more pleasant and agreeable people out there.

I seriously doubt any of this. I haven’t personally heard her sing raw, but my dad played in a band with her half brother when I was a kid, I still have the demos, and let’s just say there is plenty of raw singing talent in that family. Whatever “it” is, this guy had it. I have no doubt his sister did in her prime as well.

Besides, they had Dylan on this thing. I don’t think not being Pavarotti in the vocal department was a concern.
So, we're not only saying that she had real talent because her bro was a half-decent bar-band jobber, we're also equating her with a music legend. Got it.
ijwthstd wrote: obviously you take this way too seriously and were deeply affected by what transpired in the early 1990's and hopefully you are discussing these issues with a therapist in addition to other fans on music message boards.
TooOldToCare
Playing Shitty Clubs in a Van

Post by TooOldToCare »

SterileEyes1 wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 8:52 pm
TooOldToCare wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 6:30 pm I started a 3 season series called Loudermilk. If you're an Office Space fan, you'll like this dark comedy. Same actor, Ron Livingston plays a sobriety counselor who also is in his sobriety

Read this thread earlier and started this show tonight based on this post. First episode was great and gonna keep on going. Thanks!
Cool. Like all series, it has less-great parts, but they are short-lived. It's Ron Livingston at his best (a la Office Space). He's made for those roles.
SterileEyes1
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by SterileEyes1 »

Bono Nettencourt wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 1:46 am
So, we're not only saying that she had real talent because her bro was a half-decent bar-band jobber, we're also equating her with a music legend. Got it.

So, you somehow think I said she only had real talent because her half brother can sing (wtf kind of left-back-in-first-grade inference is that?), and you don’t understand the point made throughout the doc that the ‘music legend’ in question admittedly couldn’t really sing but they used him anyway. Got it.

"Diary Of A Madman"
"Aja"
"Atlas, Rise!"
“Sludge Factory”
"Locomotive"

DangerZone
Debut Album Goes Gold

Post by DangerZone »

Bob Dylan is an excellent singer
Indy_Rob
Headlining a Theater Tour

Post by Indy_Rob »

SterileEyes1 wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 8:52 pm

I started watching it a couple weeks ago based on this thread and really like it so far. I'm a couple episodes into season 2. Good stuff. Ron Livingston is perfect for the role.
sicktwistedfreak
Opening for Slaughter

Post by sicktwistedfreak »

Ron Livingston was also great in the second season of DICE.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t2Dlfse ... 93IA%3D%3D

The scripted, semi-autobiographical series will follow the life of renowned comedian, Andrew Dice Clay, chronicling the stops and starts of his career resurgence in his transplanted home base of Las Vegas. The series also stars Kevin Corrigan, and guest stars Natasha Leggero, Lorraine Bracco, Adrien Brody, Michael Rapaport, Wayne Newton, Criss Angel and Rita Rudner.
Whether it's his outer glaze or cream-filled insides, King Ding Dong gets his subjects filthy!
Sleek

Post by Sleek »

One of the few celebrities I have been mistaken for. I think he is way better looking, but I guess drunks in Big Bear don't think so.

Bono Nettencourt
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by Bono Nettencourt »

Sleek wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 8:04 pm One of the few celebrities I have been mistaken for. I think he is way better looking, but I guess drunks in Big Bear don't think so.
ijwthstd wrote: obviously you take this way too seriously and were deeply affected by what transpired in the early 1990's and hopefully you are discussing these issues with a therapist in addition to other fans on music message boards.
Indy_Rob
Headlining a Theater Tour

Post by Indy_Rob »

Sleek wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 8:04 pm One of the few celebrities I have been mistaken for. I think he is way better looking, but I guess drunks in Big Bear don't think so.
Dice or Ron Livingston?