I cover Pat Benatar's "Fire and Ice"

The one that started it all. Spreading gossip and insults since 1998.

Moderator: Metal Sludge

LAglamrocker
Playing First Stage at SludgeFest

Re: I cover Pat Benatar's "Fire and Ice"

Post by LAglamrocker »

Betty Blowtorch should have been next GNR out of LA..I even told them this recently at shows. Saw them plenty of times past few decades. The band was awesome.
That poster should inspire greatness not the garbage the poster was forced listen to
My life isn’t garbage like this “music” posted :lol:
Jani Lane and Bret Michaels should form a band called "Nelson II"
Don't Damn Me
Debut Album Goes Gold

Post by Don't Damn Me »

HueyRamone wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 8:44 am The style reminds me of a song I always found charming, called "Cars"

https://soundcloud.com/marktango/cars
Yeah, that was good. And funny. I wanted to hear another. I'm always curious. He could be a dude like me cutting his teeth for decades with zero soundcloud followers LOL Or just someone who has a good feel for a program like GarageBand. And it doesn't matter either way.
HueyRamone

Post by HueyRamone »

Don't Damn Me wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 10:11 am
HueyRamone wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 8:44 am The style reminds me of a song I always found charming, called "Cars"

Yeah, that was good. And funny. I wanted to hear another. I'm always curious. He could be a dude like me cutting his teeth for decades with zero soundcloud followers LOL Or just someone who has a good feel for a program like GarageBand. And it doesn't matter either way.
He has a concept album about big boobies. Not sure if it's available anywhere
Don't Damn Me wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2023 7:21 pm Dummy, are you aware that hydroxy-chloroqin and Ivermectin have since been proven effective?
Don't Damn Me
Debut Album Goes Gold

Post by Don't Damn Me »

LAglamrocker wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 8:50 am Betty Blowtorch should have been next GNR out of LA..I even told them this recently at shows. Saw them plenty of times past few decades. The band was awesome.
That poster should inspire greatness not the garbage the poster was forced listen to
I went to shows too and got to know them. Bianca was such a petite cutie. I hung out with Judy Molish one afternoon at NAMM, it was great. They were / are sweethearts. They'd be overjoyed to know they inspired anything productive. They don't share your creepy judgmental vibes.
But we're all wired differently. I'd be suspicious if La Glam rocker was suddenly friendly
Don't Damn Me
Debut Album Goes Gold

Post by Don't Damn Me »

HueyRamone wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 10:13 am
Don't Damn Me wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 10:11 am

He has a concept album about big boobies. Not sure if it's available anywhere
Ha! Good man.
LAglamrocker

Post by LAglamrocker »

Betty Blowtotch poster needs to be saved from horrible band music. Let poster listen to something it deserves like LA Rammstein tribute band practice
Poster deserves 5 star ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ home like Rammstein tribute studio could provide
Betty Blowtorch poster life matters#
Sleek
Playing a Package Tour in Arenas

Post by Sleek »

I listened a few times because I wanted to develop an opinion of my own instead of just jumping on the bandwagon, so now I can confidently say: That really was terrible.

It's not so much the idea/approach you took, (which is what, a drunk Peter Murphy on an off night in Glendale dancing around in a thong saying shit like: "I'd fuck me!" and doing Karaoke with a broken cassette deck right before getting one of his many DUIs?), but that the execution is stunningly bad.

To be fair, most of it is a rhythm problem. Your drums seldom sound in time (how do you even do that in the pattern=based machine drum era?) or supportive of the actual song they are supposedly playing. It isn't just that they miss accents and don't groove, but more that they also play nonsensical anti-accents and "beats: that somehow take you right out of the music.

This compounds with the rest of the instrumentation, which seldom features any two instruments playing a similar or contrapuntal-yet-related thing at any given point. If you told me this had been recorded by 4 musicians in different rooms who could not actually hear each other during the recording, I would believe you.

Then you got that vocal.

Soooo...I know it would be almost impossible to sing in time with the loose conglomeration of SHITE, but you would expect the vocal cadence to line up with what is happening in the track at LEAST a few times, in that a-broken-clock-is-right-twice-per-day sort of way, but NOPE~ YOU SOMEHOW MANAGED TO AVOID HAVING ANY RHYTHM AT ALL.

Mind you, if you develop this approach further, you could come up with something ground breaking, sort of ANTI-RAP, where there is just a vocal talking with a backing track, but never, ever speaking in rhythm with it.

There are some other things like lack of harmonic content, a boring middle eight, bad ending and just some indefinable quality that makes the entire song a thankless slog to get through, but I touched on the most salient points.

All in all admirable work, given that you had a top 40 song to start with. One usually only hears originals that are this bad.
ROADHEAD wrote:I've never tasted coffee
HueyRamone wrote:I like Radio Gaga
HueyRamone wrote:QUIT FUCKING WITH MY SETLIST, ASSWIPE!

Turner Coates

Post by Turner Coates »

Sleek wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 11:27 am I listened a few times because I wanted to develop an opinion of my own instead of just jumping on the bandwagon, so now I can confidently say: That really was terrible.

All in all admirable work, given that you had a top 40 song to start with. One usually only hears originals that are this bad.

I reckon all songs are folk songs. I ain't never heard no horses singing any.
HueyRamone

Post by HueyRamone »

Sleek wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 11:27 am I listened a few times because I wanted to develop an opinion of my own instead of just jumping on the bandwagon, so now I can confidently say: That really was terrible.

It's not so much the idea/approach you took, (which is what, a drunk Peter Murphy on an off night in Glendale dancing around in a thong saying shit like: "I'd fuck me!" and doing Karaoke with a broken cassette deck right before getting one of his many DUIs?), but that the execution is stunningly bad.

To be fair, most of it is a rhythm problem. Your drums seldom sound in time (how do you even do that in the pattern=based machine drum era?) or supportive of the actual song they are supposedly playing. It isn't just that they miss accents and don't groove, but more that they also play nonsensical anti-accents and "beats: that somehow take you right out of the music.

This compounds with the rest of the instrumentation, which seldom features any two instruments playing a similar or contrapuntal-yet-related thing at any given point. If you told me this had been recorded by 4 musicians in different rooms who could not actually hear each other during the recording, I would believe you.

Then you got that vocal.

Soooo...I know it would be almost impossible to sing in time with the loose conglomeration of SHITE, but you would expect the vocal cadence to line up with what is happening in the track at LEAST a few times, in that a-broken-clock-is-right-twice-per-day sort of way, but NOPE~ YOU SOMEHOW MANAGED TO AVOID HAVING ANY RHYTHM AT ALL.

Mind you, if you develop this approach further, you could come up with something ground breaking, sort of ANTI-RAP, where there is just a vocal talking with a backing track, but never, ever speaking in rhythm with it.

There are some other things like lack of harmonic content, a boring middle eight, bad ending and just some indefinable quality that makes the entire song a thankless slog to get through, but I touched on the most salient points.

A full, thoughtful and nuanced critique like this has to sting 1000x harder than some guy going "That sukked, eet my ball bag"

You're an evil man.
Don't Damn Me wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2023 7:21 pm Dummy, are you aware that hydroxy-chloroqin and Ivermectin have since been proven effective?
Sleek

Post by Sleek »

Eet my ball bag! You hit that guy up for that video yet????

Don't Damn Me
Debut Album Goes Gold

Post by Don't Damn Me »

Then you got that vocal.

Sleek.

I think it was lucky to be off your radar for a while but I knew you'd turn up with an insightful, mean-spirited of course, dismantlement.

I think the most important takeaway from your critique is that I have the talent of FOUR musicians..

Wow, that's cool. I don't know I just do what I do.

Secondly you're right. The fact that I produced something that sounds okay with the absolute low-end gear that I have is probably the real achievement.

But take the drums. I literally pasted a wave file of the Pat Benatar original song into the free software audacity. Then I copied a single sample of a bass drum and manually pasted each Kick using the original WAV as a guide that isn't entirely clear. The same goes for the snare and whatever other percussion. It's flawed absolutely. That doesn't mean I can't groove. But what I can do pretty well is create atmosphere. If you say this song doesn't have any effective embellishment I mark that as a flaw in your otherwise decent assessment.

But here's the bottom line. What do I have invested in it? Nothing. I did it for fun. I did it for myself. I did it to share with my friends and Metal sludge.
And although it won't win a Grammy you certainly invested a reasonable amount of your personal time on it.

And that's great, and I welcome you to continue tearing my s*** apart
LAglamrocker

Post by LAglamrocker »

Don’t get your hopes up-U have zero chance of becoming the next T Ride(just speaking the truth)

Zero chance i am reading that Sleek book and the response 📕
HueyRamone

Post by HueyRamone »

Sleek wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 12:41 pm Eet my ball bag! You hit that guy up for that video yet????
Since the last thing you said when you got off the phone was "Imma hit that guy up for that video"..... no.

Maybe you will also be able to source a guy who is good and passionate about taking said video and editing it up... should you ever hear of anyone into that.
Don't Damn Me
Debut Album Goes Gold

Post by Don't Damn Me »

LAglamrocker wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 8:50 am Betty Blowtorch should have been next GNR out of LA..I even told them this recently at shows. Saw them plenty of times past few decades. The band was awesome.
Well, I'll let you buy the poster from me and let it Inspire the kind of awesomeness you're thinking of. Its from 2003, mounted on hardboard, a west covina Tower Records One of a Kind display.
Sleek

Post by Sleek »

HueyRamone wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 1:45 pm
Sleek wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 12:41 pm Eet my ball bag! You hit that guy up for that video yet????
Since the last thing you said when you got off the phone was "Imma hit that guy up for that video"..... no.

Maybe you will also be able to source a guy who is good and passionate about taking said video and editing it up... should you ever hear of anyone into that.
Dude, I messaged you on FB about it. I got the video from the first guy, but the other video is some dude you are faceyspace friends with, so I thought you should hit him up.

First dude uploaded a whole bunch of first gen for me via WeTransfer.

HueyRamone

Post by HueyRamone »

Sleek wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 2:49 pm
HueyRamone wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 1:45 pm

Dude, I messaged you on FB about it. I got the video from the first guy, but the other video is some dude you are faceyspace friends with, so I thought you should hit him up.

First dude uploaded a whole bunch of first gen for me via WeTransfer.
Oh. I rarely look at fb. I will take a look later. Glad you brought it up, it might have been days (or weeks!) before I saw that message.
Sleek

Post by Sleek »

Don't Damn Me wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 1:05 pm
But take the drums. I literally pasted a wave file of the Pat Benatar original song into the free software audacity. Then I copied a single sample of a bass drum and manually pasted each Kick using the original WAV as a guide that isn't entirely clear. The same goes for the snare and whatever other percussion. It's flawed absolutely. That doesn't mean I can't groove. But what I can do pretty well is create atmosphere. If you say this song doesn't have any effective embellishment I mark that as a flaw in your otherwise decent assessment.
Yeeks. No wonder the timing sucks.

Your best bet if you are doing a cover is to find a free midi file of the song that somebody has already done, and grab the pre-programmed drums from that. You can alter them to taste, but that should come pre-baked with the right arrangement and grooves.

If you MUST use single samples, then download a free sample player (I don't know what one people use these days) and load that sample. Send your midi kick to that to trigger it IN TIME.

I wouldn't suggest using a single sample tho, because it won't have any dynamics or velocity layers...it'll just be the same exact hit every time, which is going to sound super unnatural.

LAglamrocker

Post by LAglamrocker »

U should “learn “ 12 more Benatar songs and play the plush gigs in your town

Fire and Ice! Live! Lane 5 at Seaside Bowling Lanes! 10pm! 7$!!
Friday! Friday! Weekend!! Weekend!!
Don't Damn Me
Debut Album Goes Gold

Post by Don't Damn Me »

Sleek wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 2:58 pm

Your best bet if you are doing a cover is to find a free midi file of the song that somebody has already done, and grab the pre-programmed drums from that. You can alter them to taste, but that should come pre-baked with the right arrangement and grooves.

If you MUST use single samples, then download a free sample player (I don't know what one people use these days) and load that sample. Send your midi kick to that to trigger it IN TIME.

I wouldn't suggest using a single sample tho, because it won't have any dynamics or velocity layers...it'll just be the same exact hit every time, which is going to sound super unnatural.
A buddy of mine who owns a studio basically says that the same hit every time is exactly where the technology is. That's what everybody does now he says. Whether it is trigger or midi, I don't know.
I'm not even sure what MIDI is. But can I get a wave file of pre-made drum tracks the same way?
I purposely used electronic drum samples.
I record in Cubase but that program is still frustrating for me from time to time and I just know the basics.
I mix and produce in audacity and I've got that thing mastered I think.
But cubase has some kind of drum program, but I couldn't make heads or tails of it. The same friend who owns the studio who's known me for years doesn't get how I write all kinds of music without even knowing how to like map it out or knowing what time signatures I'm using.
And that's become a problem now when I just want to do something inspired and quick
HueyRamone

Post by HueyRamone »

Don't Damn Me wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 3:33 pm

A buddy of mine who owns a studio basically says that the same hit every time is exactly where the technology is. That's what everybody does now he says. Whether it is trigger or midi, I don't know.
I'm not even sure what MIDI is. But can I get a wave file of pre-made drum tracks the same way?
I record in Cubase but that program is still frustrating for me from time to time and I just know the basics.
But cubase has some kind of drum program, but I couldn't make heads or tails of it. The same friend who owns the studio who's known me for years doesn't get how I write all kinds of music without even knowing how to like map it out or knowing what time signatures I'm using.
And that's become a problem now when I just want to do something inspired and quick
Do you mind not threadjacking? This is the thread where Sleek and I discuss getting video from some Youtube guy.
Sleek

Post by Sleek »

I'm just happy because NVIDIA exceeded expectations with their Q4 earnings.

Don't Damn Me
Debut Album Goes Gold

Post by Don't Damn Me »

HueyRamone wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 4:33 pm
Don't Damn Me wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 3:33 pm

Do you mind not threadjacking? This is the thread where Sleek and I discuss getting video from some Youtube guy.
* smacking myself in the head*
Stupid! Stupid! Stupid!