So SLAYER is back?

The one that started it all. Spreading gossip and insults since 1998.

Moderator: Metal Sludge

Psychobolia.com
Playing a Package Tour in Arenas
Location: Paris, France, land of sleaze and cheese, wine and whine

Re: So SLAYER is back?

Post by Psychobolia.com »

I expect boring and safe setlists with crap like Bloodline in them and barely any deep cuts, just like their last live album...
ALMOSTsaved
Headlining Clubs

Post by ALMOSTsaved »

Announcing the "farewell" tour is probably the only thing that made Slayer and official arena headlining act. I'm sure that was somewhat addictive. What else might make them an official arena headlining act? A comeback tour.
Wednesday 13 Fan
Playing Decent Clubs in a Bus

Post by Wednesday 13 Fan »

FreddyFender wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 12:51 pm I called this in the other thread: Kerry was in for a rude awakening trying to take a solo project on the road.

No way he'd keep all those talented guys on the road together paying them Kerry King Band wages.

Occasional Slayer-sized cash infusions will help.

Just read this in the blabbermouth comments: "Retiredless" :lol: :lol: :lol:
I love Slayer, but they themselves are going to be in for a rude awakening if they tour. The only reason they were drawing that much on that final tour was it got the posers out so they could say they saw them at least once.
Anthrax442
Cockblocked by Poison

Post by Anthrax442 »

Wednesday 13 Fan wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 4:01 am
FreddyFender wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 12:51 pm I called this in the other thread: Kerry was in for a rude awakening trying to take a solo project on the road.

No way he'd keep all those talented guys on the road together paying them Kerry King Band wages.

Occasional Slayer-sized cash infusions will help.

Just read this in the blabbermouth comments: "Retiredless" :lol: :lol: :lol:
I love Slayer, but they themselves are going to be in for a rude awakening if they tour. The only reason they were drawing that much on that final tour was it got the posers out so they could say they saw them at least once.
You know, this does open up the possibility of more Big 4 shows with Metallica after the M72 tour ends....
MurrayFiend wrote:Shit, deathcurse, you sure know how to make an exit.
aznsquirt

Post by aznsquirt »

Zinny wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 11:29 pm
aznsquirt wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 10:24 pm
Stinky McFister wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 8:26 pm This makes me sad for some reason

Kind of hoped Slayer would show all the other retirement return bands that they were the real deal

I respected Slayer. Not so much any more

They could've just as easily taken a 5 year break and come back. More respect for that than getting lumped in with kiss, crue etc

Tarnishing their legacy. Of course the last 5 records did that already so what am I talking about :roll:
Alright, so it needs to be pointed out tht Slayer never said the Farewell tour was the end of them playing live, they were very open about the fact that it was just the last true "tour".
But the final show of the Farewell Tour was called ”The Final Show” everywhere.
It might not hold in court but has it come to that? Are fans supposed to hire lawyers to go through farewell tour-specifics? All these bands have used ”Farewell” as a way to get the fans throwing money at them for, what the fans believed, was ”one last time”.
Now ”untouchable” Slayer showed how ”true” they are…
That's true. Using the term "very open" on my part isn't really true. They said so, but of course they didn't have a problem leaning into the "Farewell" portion of it all, and had no problem cashing checks knowing a lot of fans probably thought it was the last time.
fret123
Headlining Clubs

Post by fret123 »

Big surprise. I knew there’s not a chance that was their “farewelll” tour. They had longer gaps between albums than this retirement lasted.
jens

Post by jens »

ALMOSTsaved wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 3:48 am Announcing the "farewell" tour is probably the only thing that made Slayer and official arena headlining act. I'm sure that was somewhat addictive. What else might make them an official arena headlining act? A comeback tour.
Scorpions did the same, they were playing afternoon-slots at European festivals before the farewell-gimmick. Good for them I guess.
ALMOSTsaved
Headlining Clubs

Post by ALMOSTsaved »

jens wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 12:06 pm
ALMOSTsaved wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 3:48 am Announcing the "farewell" tour is probably the only thing that made Slayer and official arena headlining act. I'm sure that was somewhat addictive. What else might make them an official arena headlining act? A comeback tour.
Scorpions did the same, they were playing afternoon-slots at European festivals before the farewell-gimmick. Good for them I guess.
This begs the question of now that Slayer are considered bona fide arena and festival headliners, would they have the clout to insist on being second bill only to Metallica if there was another Big 4 show and therefore relegating Megadeth to third?
Bob Sacamano
Headlining Clubs

Post by Bob Sacamano »

ALMOSTsaved wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 1:34 pm
This begs the question of now that Slayer are considered bona fide arena and festival headliners, would they have the clout to insist on being second bill only to Metallica if there was another Big 4 show and therefore relegating Megadeth to third?
Slayer was always second billing to Metallica at the Big 4 shows. With the exception of 1992-1998, Slayer was always more popular than Megadeth.
"I don't have any beliefs or allegiances. I don't believe in this country, I don't believe in religion, or a god, and I don't believe in all these man-made institutional ideas"

-- George Carlin
VicStelly
Playing Shitty Clubs in a Van

Post by VicStelly »

Bob Sacamano wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 3:07 pm
Slayer was always second billing to Metallica at the Big 4 shows. With the exception of 1992-1998, Slayer was always more popular than Megadeth.
TBH, those were some important years.
Charles Bukaki

Post by Charles Bukaki »

I wouldn't be surprised to see a Slayer/Motley Crue tour in the next year or two.
Zinny
Headlining Clubs

Post by Zinny »

VicStelly wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 3:34 pm

Megadeth’s most streamed song on Spotify is ”Symphony of Destrucion with 299 million streams!
Slayer’s best streaming song is ”Raining Blood” with 192 million streams. Great numbers for both bands!
Spotify was launched in 2006, many, many years after those songs’ original release dates so what makes Slayer a bigger band than Megadeth?
Cooler band logo, yes. More sold records or concert tickets? I’m not sure about that.
Bob Sacamano
Headlining Clubs

Post by Bob Sacamano »

Zinny wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 7:55 am
VicStelly wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 3:34 pm

Megadeth’s most streamed song on Spotify is ”Symphony of Destrucion with 299 million streams!
Slayer’s best streaming song is ”Raining Blood” with 192 million streams. Great numbers for both bands!
Spotify was launched in 2006, many, many years after those songs’ original release dates so what makes Slayer a bigger band than Megadeth?
Cooler band logo, yes. More sold records or concert tickets? I’m not sure about that.
I would say that Megadeth has sold more records, and Slayer has sold more concert tickets. When both bands are on the same bill, Slayer always plays later.

I remember when Megadeth has their first "comeback" tour in 2004ish, both Megadeth and Slayer played shows in November. Slayer played a 4500 capacity venue, sold out weeks in advance. Megadeth played a 2300 capacity venue, wasn't sold out.
"I don't have any beliefs or allegiances. I don't believe in this country, I don't believe in religion, or a god, and I don't believe in all these man-made institutional ideas"

-- George Carlin
alexleehooker
Buying Cool Stage Clothes

Post by alexleehooker »

Dead Horse Flogged
Raining Cash
Etc etc
HoldenSSV
Playing at a Friend's Party

Post by HoldenSSV »

Bob Sacamano wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 3:07 pm With the exception of 1992-1998, Slayer was always more popular than Megadeth.
Just stop with the revisionist history bullshit. Peace Sells was released in 1986 and Rust in Peace was released in 1990. Slayer was not bigger then, either.
"Copying off of one person is called plagiarism.
Copying off of ten people is called research."