New Ace record - Is it really him........?????

The one that started it all. Spreading gossip and insults since 1998.

Moderator: Metal Sludge

FreddyFender
Headlining Clubs

Re: New Ace record - Is it really him........?????

Post by FreddyFender »

Michael Hotts Ghost wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 6:15 pm I think Ace probably went to Steve Browns apartment or house and played 10 to 20 riffs and homey recorded them on his iPhone. Then, Steve took those ideas and wrote full songs around the ideas. He probably came back a month or so later or emailed the tracks to Ace to check out. Then Ace and Lara wrote their 3rd grade lyrics on top of the developed ideas and Steve probably tuned that up.
https://www.billboard.com/music/rock/ac ... 235613994/

"If I couldn’t come up with a great solo he’d plays something that was real similar to the way I would’ve played, and sometimes I’d double it or duplicate it. I think I left one or two of his solos on the record because they were so good.”

:lol: :lol: :lol:
FreddyFender
Headlining Clubs

Post by FreddyFender »

Michael Hotts Ghost wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 6:15 pm I think Ace probably went to Steve Browns apartment or house and played 10 to 20 riffs and homey recorded them on his iPhone. Then, Steve took those ideas and wrote full songs around the ideas. He probably came back a month or so later or emailed the tracks to Ace to check out. Then Ace and Lara wrote their 3rd grade lyrics on top of the developed ideas and Steve probably tuned that up.
https://www.billboard.com/music/rock/ac ... 235613994/

"If I couldn’t come up with a great solo he’d plays something that was real similar to the way I would’ve played, and sometimes I’d double it or duplicate it. I think I left one or two of his solos on the record because they were so good.”

He didn't even play the fucking leads.

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Dyslexicheart
Debut Album Goes Gold

Post by Dyslexicheart »

You can hear Ace's leads all over the album. And some other parts from other players. Hard to tell how much rhythm guitar from Ace, maybe not much.
Jason Jennifer Leigh
Headlining Clubs

Post by Jason Jennifer Leigh »

Not much rhythm he can’t even play 10,000 Volts live.

Milk Mars has like 4-5 songs without solos … 2 piano ballads? Right?

New Bon Jovi song … NO SOLO.
Zinny
Headlining Clubs

Post by Zinny »

HueyRamone wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 9:24 am Image
Nailed it😄
Maybe put a sticker with ”Autographed by Ace Frehley” on it as well.
Tenacious_Dio
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by Tenacious_Dio »

Dyslexicheart wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 1:11 pm You can hear Ace's leads all over the album.
Yeah, other than "Walking On the Moon", the solos sound like Ace. And it's not like they're great solos, just the same 5 licks he's still able to play. I'd guess that they had a much harder time getting vocals from him than than guitar leads.
BernieTaupson
Playing Decent Clubs in a Bus

Post by BernieTaupson »

They *sound* like Ace but they’re not Ace. Listen to the solo on Fightin For Life. Ace licks, but it’s way too clean and accurate to be Ace. Then it goes into some harmony thing at the end which no way is Ace. I’d say the same guy who played that is also playing the 10,000 Volts solo. It’s Ace licks, not played by Ace. Remember the Psycho Circus solo that everyone thought was Ace? Same deal.

The ones Ace does play are fucking obvious, they’re sloppy. Like Back Into My Arms Again. He goes off key in that.
NineteenEightyFour
Forming a Band

Post by NineteenEightyFour »

I'm going to listen to it soon, but yeah from the 3 songs I've heard his voice sounds pro-tooled all to fuk and the songs themselves don't seem like something he would compose.
WCiezak
Passing Out Band Flyers

Post by WCiezak »

I'll have to watch some live clips to see how bad Ace is these days. Maybe there's a reason he wasn't ever brought back into Kiss. I've listened to a few of the new album tracks on Youtube. It's not bad, but I get what everyone is saying about Steve Brown probably doing most of the work. Ace has a rep for being lazy. Didn't Peter say he's the laziest person on the planet or something like that? His vocals have a lot of obvious tuning. That video with him and all those young chicks is pretty cringe too. It's sad that this is what qualifies as an important release in the world of Hard Rock today.
Jason Jennifer Leigh
Headlining Clubs

I agree … too clean to be Ace.

Brown has pretty much admitted in interviews he did 95% of the album and Ace is “notoriously lazy” … even KISSFAQ has figured this out. Ace brought one song and it was from 1984.
Last edited by Jason Jennifer Leigh on Sun Mar 03, 2024 10:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FreddyFender
Headlining Clubs

Post by FreddyFender »

Ace literally says in the interview I posted above that Brown would write a lead that sounded like him (Ace), and then Ace would come in and "double or duplicate it".

He's not even coming up with his own shitty pentatonic solos at this point.
Jason Jennifer Leigh
Headlining Clubs

In one interview Brown says he met a guy on Instagram and the guy wrote most of 10,000 Volts and sends it to Brown … I think it was the Three Sides Of Coin podcast.

Ace has said he kept some of Brown’s solos … Ace had other “activities” to do … whatever I’m not buying it … Ace is the vocalist on a Steve Brown album, IMO.

It’s not a bad album but it’s not an Ace album.

Same with Milk Mars … he’s BARELY a guest on his own solo album … keeping my money even though I’ve waited 30 years for the great Milk Mars solo album.