New Ace record - Is it really him........?????

The one that started it all. Spreading gossip and insults since 1998.

Moderator: Metal Sludge

Ralph2
Learning KISS Riffs

New Ace record - Is it really him........?????

Post by Ralph2 »

So, I finally heard the record today.

Production is good (maybe a little too good!).

Years ago (about 15) I worked on a project Ace was involved in. Probably the laziest
"star" Ive ever encountered in terms of actively touring musicians.

Clearly, Ace wrote none of the new record, but I do have some thoughts after hearing it and
especially after working with him and his crew:

1. The vocals are just a bit "weird". They do sound like Ace, but they're out of pitch and are too
high and low intra-phrase. Additionally, if you watch any recent footage, he can barely sing at 50%.
It had me thinking, Did someone sing a scratch Vox and then AI him in....? It's the only way I can see this record being done.

2. Yes, the solos sound like Ace, but they're cut/spliced. Some of it is Ace (like the parts that are out of key) and the rest
is someone "being Ace".

3. ProTools baby!

Whoever did this record made a great "Ace record" - Without ACE!

There's no way he did more than 10% on this. FACT.

#bring on the deniers
Jason Jennifer Leigh
Headlining Clubs

Re: New Ace record - Is it really him........?????

Post by Jason Jennifer Leigh »

I agree.

A lot of the solos are someone else for the most part and Ace comes in at the end with some bends.
Jason Jennifer Leigh
Headlining Clubs

Ace - “ Typically, after I completed my lead vocal and guitar solo and possibly doubled the rhythm track with an octave guitar, Steve would finalize the song in his studio with other musicians, allowing me time to tour and pursue my own activities."

He doesn’t consider his solo album one of his “own activities”?

I’m not buying it or the Mars album.
Chip Z'Hoy
Playing First Stage at SludgeFest

Post by Chip Z'Hoy »

Ralph2 wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 5:44 pmIt had me thinking, Did someone sing a scratch Vox and then AI him in....? It's the only way I can see this record being done.
I think the last two Ozzy records were done like this.
LAglamrocker wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 3:56 pmClub was packed with Metal Edge fans 18-30..no stupid Rush Roll The Bones dipsh*ts
Dyslexicheart
Debut Album Goes Gold

Post by Dyslexicheart »

This was a collaboration, and the Steve Brown stuff is getting slightly out-of-hand. He did not write all the songs, he did bring in some songs and obviously worked with Ace on his songs. But to say Brown "clearly" wrote all the songs is conjecture and opinion, not "fact". Ace has written songs his whole recording life for over 50 years now. He does need help obviously in fine tuning his stuff these days, but he's still capable.
Velvis
Playing Shitty Clubs in a Van

Post by Velvis »

Ralph2 wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 5:44 pm So, I finally heard the record today.

Production is good (maybe a little too good!).

Years ago (about 15) I worked on a project Ace was involved in. Probably the laziest
"star" Ive ever encountered in terms of actively touring musicians.

Clearly, Ace wrote none of the new record, but I do have some thoughts after hearing it and
especially after working with him and his crew:

1. The vocals are just a bit "weird". They do sound like Ace, but they're out of pitch and are too
high and low intra-phrase. Additionally, if you watch any recent footage, he can barely sing at 50%.
It had me thinking, Did someone sing a scratch Vox and then AI him in....? It's the only way I can see this record being done.

2. Yes, the solos sound like Ace, but they're cut/spliced. Some of it is Ace (like the parts that are out of key) and the rest
is someone "being Ace".

3. ProTools baby!

Whoever did this record made a great "Ace record" - Without ACE!

There's no way he did more than 10% on this. FACT.

#bring on the deniers
You should look up the definition of the word FACT.
TooOldToCare
Playing Shitty Clubs in a Van

Post by TooOldToCare »

It has been said in other Ace threads that it sounds like a lot of "help," in all aspects of the word, is used on this album. I gave it one listen. I don't need to hear it again.
Black Stuff
Doing Package Tours in Theaters

Post by Black Stuff »

*cough* steve brown record*cough*
The power of Sludge compels you.
Rocker4Real
Opening Act in Local Bars

Post by Rocker4Real »

When is Steve Brown gonna put out solo stuff or do a completely original project? Or does he wanna play some clubs doing Surrender with a clean electric guitar? Put some new stuff out and be a rocker for real.
VinnieStJohn
Playing at a Friend's Party

Post by VinnieStJohn »

Rocker4Real wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 5:40 am When is Steve Brown gonna put out solo stuff or do a completely original project? Or does he wanna play some clubs doing Surrender with a clean electric guitar? Put some new stuff out and be a rocker for real.
Not sure if you consider 40 Ft. Ringo an original project, but if you haven't heard it the debut is really good. Although if you have heard the Ace and Tokyo Motor Fist records the songs sound similar.
Rocker4Real

Post by Rocker4Real »

VinnieStJohn wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 7:22 am
Rocker4Real wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 5:40 am When is Steve Brown gonna put out solo stuff or do a completely original project? Or does he wanna play some clubs doing Surrender with a clean electric guitar? Put some new stuff out and be a rocker for real.
Not sure if you consider 40 Ft. Ringo an original project, but if you haven't heard it the debut is really good. Although if you have heard the Ace and Tokyo Motor Fist records the songs sound similar.
I recently checked his social media linktree and it's a jumbled mess. I'll put in those names you mentioned and check it out.
DemonFilth2001
Signed to a Major Label Multi-Album Deal

Post by DemonFilth2001 »

Rocker4Real wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 7:35 am
I recently checked his social media linktree and it's a jumbled mess. I'll put in those names you mentioned and check it out.
You a huge Trixter fan?
KEYBOARD WARRIOR!
Rocker4Real

Post by Rocker4Real »

DemonFilth2001 wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 9:14 am
Rocker4Real wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 7:35 am

You a huge Trixter fan?
Trixter had potential, but was marketed too far in the teeny-bopper direction. Brown has the technical skill to fill in for big names. He just needs to step it up.
NeonKnite
Your Cock, My Mouth

Post by NeonKnite »

Bob Ezrin co-wrote 8 out of the 10 songs on DESTROYER and had more to do with how the end product sounded than any of the actual band members.

Some producers are more involved on that level and some are not.

Given the positive reception of this album, expect a follow up produced by Steve Brown at some point.
Mister Freeze
Platinum Artist

Post by Mister Freeze »

This album is one in a million to me.
skunklovestiger wrote: A comment like this needs a really useless piece of shit. Well maybe you are used to get fucked by your mother in the basement. It would be better if somebody just kills you useless asshole. Just killl yourself shithead.
DemonFilth2001

Post by DemonFilth2001 »

NeonKnite wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 10:18 am Bob Ezrin co-wrote 8 out of the 10 songs on DESTROYER and had more to do with how the end product sounded than any of the actual band members.

Some producers are more involved on that level and some are not.

Given the positive reception of this album, expect a follow up produced by Steve Brown at some point.
Maybe. But this album won't sell for shit. No money to be made. A new Trixter album would probably do better.

Ace had a great 78 solo album. Think that was simply an anamoly. Outside his Tod songs, his solo stuff has been absolute shit. And he looks ridiculous. Stupid beard, gut, and sunglasses. Wig too. Sloppy ass guitar player.

He's the reason I started playing. 😳
KEYBOARD WARRIOR!
NeonKnite
Your Cock, My Mouth

Post by NeonKnite »

DemonFilth2001 wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 10:32 am Maybe. But this album won't sell for shit. No money to be made.
Someone is making money. If Ace's albums made no money, he wouldn't have been able to release 6 of them in the last 15 years.

On top of that, do you think Ace would be interested making albums if he wasn't making any money? Nope.

Christ, these days with morons buying up every different vinyl color variant, I'm betting this album brings in at minimum a decent ROI.
Mister Freeze
Platinum Artist

Post by Mister Freeze »

DemonFilth2001 wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 10:32 am Ace had a great 78 solo album. Think that was simply an anamoly.

No, this album was...

skunklovestiger wrote: A comment like this needs a really useless piece of shit. Well maybe you are used to get fucked by your mother in the basement. It would be better if somebody just kills you useless asshole. Just killl yourself shithead.
Rocker4Real

Post by Rocker4Real »

NeonKnite wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 10:38 am
DemonFilth2001 wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 10:32 am Maybe. But this album won't sell for shit. No money to be made.
Someone is making money. If Ace's albums made no money, he wouldn't have been able to release 6 of them in the last 15 years.

On top of that, do you think Ace would be interested making albums if he wasn't making any money? Nope.

Christ, these days with morons buying up every different vinyl color variant, I'm betting this album brings in at minimum a decent ROI.
There's even a market for Tuff on vinyl. I'm sure Ace's people are aware of the minimum amount they'll likely sell.
Kid-Wicked
Opening for Helix

Post by Kid-Wicked »

he's slurring words here and there. the vocals need some chorus or something on them.
some of the lame predictable lyrics have ace written all over them. the ones that don't are probably the songs that paul taylor wrote.
ParaDime77

Post by ParaDime77 »

ChaptGPT can easily write song lyrics in a very similar fashion to Ace’s previous songs.
Everyone Is Someone Else's Bitch
ParaDime77

Post by ParaDime77 »

ChaptGPT can easily write song lyrics in a very similar fashion to Ace’s previous songs.
Everyone Is Someone Else's Bitch
NeonKnite
Your Cock, My Mouth

Post by NeonKnite »

Rocker4Real wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 12:25 pm There's even a market for Tuff on vinyl. I'm sure Ace's people are aware of the minimum amount they'll likely sell.
Are you really this silly, we're talking about KISS fans.
Michael Hotts Ghost
Doing 10 Questions with Metal Sludge

Post by Michael Hotts Ghost »

I think Ace probably went to Steve Browns apartment or house and played 10 to 20 riffs and homey recorded them on his iPhone. Then, Steve took those ideas and wrote full songs around the ideas. He probably came back a month or so later or emailed the tracks to Ace to check out. Then Ace and Lara wrote their 3rd grade lyrics on top of the developed ideas and Steve probably tuned that up.

Seems like the album is doing pretty good judging from all the press and stuff going on.
Jason Jennifer Leigh
Headlining Clubs

I think Brown went to Ace’s house played 10 to 20 riffs … the rest of what you said I agree with.

Ace can’t remember 10 new riffs, he can’t even remember 10 old riffs he’s played for 50 years but atleast he’s trying … Gene and Paul are too scared and lazy to write new music.
Timmy
Forming a Band

Post by Timmy »

Jason Jennifer Leigh wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 7:03 am Gene and Paul are too scared and lazy to write new music.
They're also fucking imbeciles.
BernieTaupson
Playing Decent Clubs in a Bus

Post by BernieTaupson »

Michael Hotts Ghost wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 6:15 pm I think Ace probably went to Steve Browns apartment or house and played 10 to 20 riffs and homey recorded them on his iPhone.
Steve Brown said on a podcast he wrote everything except Back To My Arms Again .. which Ace demoed in the mid 80s. Typical Frehley.
Stinky McFister
Blowing Advance from Record Label

Post by Stinky McFister »

TooOldToCare wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 4:07 am It has been said in other Ace threads that it sounds like a lot of "help," in all aspects of the word, is used on this album.
Hasn't he been "employing" help for a long time?

Didn't Sebastian Bach claim to have written Foxy and Free and gotten no credit?
LAglamrocker

Post by LAglamrocker »

We do not want or need Ace in acoustic Trixter
Keep Ace away from this
Jani Lane and Bret Michaels should form a band called "Nelson II"
HueyRamone

Post by HueyRamone »

Don't Damn Me wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2023 7:21 pm Dummy, are you aware that hydroxy-chloroqin and Ivermectin have since been proven effective?