Would you want signatures from a tribute band?

The one that started it all. Spreading gossip and insults since 1998.

Moderator: Metal Sludge

BernieTaupson
Playing Decent Clubs in a Bus

Would you want signatures from a tribute band?

Post by BernieTaupson »

EatNails
MSX Tour Support Act

Re: Would you want signatures from a tribute band?

Post by EatNails »

Somewhere in the world is a Lynyrd Skynyrd Street Survivors original gatefold album cover with my autograph on it. I was on tour as a tech with three of the ex-band members, doing a solo thing. A fan had brought the album for them to sign, but insisted I sign it too because I was 'part of the show'. I remember clearly trying to convince this dude my signature wasn't going to add to the value, but he wanted a memory of 'everyone involved'. So I signed it.

I watch for it to pop up on eBay.
Grendel wrote: Skip work tomorrow and smoke some meth...this thread is THAT epic.
El Vampiro Blanco
Headlining Clubs

Post by El Vampiro Blanco »

I don't even want signatures from real bands, let alone a tribute band...
mrspeedgene
Headlining Clubs

Post by mrspeedgene »

Back in my trib days this happened all the time. I never understood. At every show someone would bring some memorabilia to sign. I always double and triple checked that they wanted ME to sign it. Especially if there were other "real" signatures on the item. The only time I flat out refused was a guy brought a cherry sunburst Les Paul signed by MANY well known guitar players. I told the guy my sig would ruin the value. He was not happy but I would have felt like an ass signing it.

On a similar note. There was a wall at the HOB along the dressing rooms that all the acts playing there signed. My name is directly below Rick Nielson. :D :D
They laughed at their gods
And fought them in vain
So he turned his
back on them
And left them in pain
TooOldToCare
Playing Shitty Clubs in a Van

Post by TooOldToCare »

El Vampiro Blanco wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 5:39 am I don't even want signatures from real bands, let alone a tribute band...
Exactly. I've never seen the personal value in this (or any celeb) unless you're trying to make a buck on eBay or like to collect things. I got a couple KISS autographs from the 70s as a dumb little kid. I don't have a clue where they are today; probably got thrown away and don't care.
keyofgee
Headlining Clubs

Post by keyofgee »

mrspeedgene wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 6:19 am Back in my trib days this happened all the time. I never understood. At every show someone would bring some memorabilia to sign. I always double and triple checked that they wanted ME to sign it. Especially if there were other "real" signatures on the item. The only time I flat out refused was a guy brought a cherry sunburst Les Paul signed by MANY well known guitar players. I told the guy my sig would ruin the value. He was not happy but I would have felt like an ass signing it.

On a similar note. There was a wall at the HOB along the dressing rooms that all the acts playing there signed. My name is directly below Rick Nielson. :D :D
I am nobody but have been asked to sign a couple of guitars over the years. I always politely refuse. They should be played and not wall pieces. My cousin has a autographed Epiphone by Joe Bonamassa. He asked me what he should do with it. I suggested wiping the signature off and playing it :)
GreatWhiteSnake
Playing a Package Tour in Arenas

Post by GreatWhiteSnake »

I wasn't aware of this until seeing a Queen tribute at the local fair a couple of years ago and seeing people line up for the "meet and greet" afterwards. OK...
GWS video of the week Seven Seconds of Shred https://youtu.be/6DAqH3eKqEM?si=N2I9eU92_ovsb69d updated 3/9/24
https://soundcloud.com/crunch-104998557
Wednesday 13 Fan

Post by Wednesday 13 Fan »

If you dig the band and want to help out with a meet and greet fee or something, it's fine.
Nate S Axel

Post by Nate S Axel »

EatNails wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 2:11 am Somewhere in the world is a Lynyrd Skynyrd Street Survivors original gatefold album cover with my autograph on it. I was on tour as a tech with three of the ex-band members, doing a solo thing. A fan had brought the album for them to sign, but insisted I sign it too because I was 'part of the show'. I remember clearly trying to convince this dude my signature wasn't going to add to the value, but he wanted a memory of 'everyone involved'. So I signed it.

Awesome. I signed a couple of posters when the band Scum Of The Earth (Riggs from Rob Zombie's band) came through ~15 years ago. One of my friends at the time was playing guitar in Scum, and we were hanging out after the show at their merch table. I wasn't clad in all black and didn't nearly have the amount of ink that he did, let alone any makeup, but a couple people still thought I was in the band. "Great show man!"
https://www.last.fm/user/SundownDevil
LAglamrocker wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2023 10:45 am I can’t believe people actually don’t live in So Cal/ San Diego/Vegas circle ..waste of life
Black Stuff
Doing Package Tours in Theaters

Post by Black Stuff »

Nate S Axel wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 10:29 am
EatNails wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 2:11 am Somewhere in the world is a Lynyrd Skynyrd Street Survivors original gatefold album cover with my autograph on it. I was on tour as a tech with three of the ex-band members, doing a solo thing. A fan had brought the album for them to sign, but insisted I sign it too because I was 'part of the show'. I remember clearly trying to convince this dude my signature wasn't going to add to the value, but he wanted a memory of 'everyone involved'. So I signed it.

Awesome. I signed a couple of posters when the band Scum Of The Earth (Riggs from Rob Zombie's band) came through ~15 years ago. One of my friends at the time was playing guitar in Scum, and we were hanging out after the show at their merch table. I wasn't clad in all black and didn't nearly have the amount of ink that he did, let alone any makeup, but a couple people still thought I was in the band. "Great show man!"
Happened at one of.my club gigs to a buddy of mine. Drunk hot.chick told him.he played great hahahaha.
The power of Sludge compels you.
HueyRamone
Playing First Stage at SludgeFest

Post by HueyRamone »

I have signed plenty of things as a tribute band performer. I've had dudes take a photo with me at one show, and then bring back an 8x10 of that photo the next time we play that city, and a gold paint pen for me to sign it.

Yes, i think it's odd.

Fifi Larue once came to a manson tribute show of mine and gave me a fully autographed special edition vinyl of Mechanical Animals, so theres an instance where I've been GIVEN autographs at a tribute show. I asked Fifi to autograph it as well, but he refused. he autographed the dust jacket.
Don't Damn Me wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2023 7:21 pm Dummy, are you aware that hydroxy-chloroqin and Ivermectin have since been proven effective?
Cindy Buzzedimisa

Post by Cindy Buzzedimisa »

God no. Why would anyone want that? These guys have big enough egos already and they shouldn't. My friend got me to take a picture with a Motley Crue tribute band once, but that was about their costumes not them personally. Like taking a picture with Mickey Mouse or a mascot at a game. People must just want an excuse to talk to them if they're asking for a signature.
Playboyliquor59
Recording Debut Album

Post by Playboyliquor59 »

As a guitar tech, so many times I’ve heard “great show, can you sign this” probably because I look like a band member. I usually try and just give them something in my pocket or a set list …I’m not signing a record or a shirt. Sometimes they offer other things.
Tommy
Debut Album Goes Gold

Post by Tommy »

I worked in bars and restaurants on the Gulf Coast for years and saw it many times with The Velcro Pygmies. Autographs, pics. I don't get it.

Is this tour rider for a band like this common?
https://www.velcropygmies.com/event-rider
Ozzy Stradlin

Post by Ozzy Stradlin »

El Vampiro Blanco wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 5:39 am I don't even want signatures from real bands, let alone a tribute band...
This.
Mister Freeze
Platinum Artist

Post by Mister Freeze »

Tommy wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 6:46 pm Is this tour rider for a band like this common?

That is far from a demanding tour rider.

Looks like a band who understands the issues that arise on a regular basis and have their requirements in one place to nip that shit in the bud.
skunklovestiger wrote: A comment like this needs a really useless piece of shit. Well maybe you are used to get fucked by your mother in the basement. It would be better if somebody just kills you useless asshole. Just killl yourself shithead.
Love_Industry
Signed to a Major Label Multi-Album Deal

Post by Love_Industry »

Cindy Buzzedimisa wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 3:05 pm God no. Why would anyone want that? These guys have big enough egos already and they shouldn't. My friend got me to take a picture with a Motley Crue tribute band once, but that was about their costumes not them personally. Like taking a picture with Mickey Mouse or a mascot at a game.
I can relate to this. In the early 90s I went to a Kiss convention to meet Peter Criss and there was an Unmasked era tribute band playing.
As they looked really good in their 1980 costumes, I got a pic with their "Eric Carr" and "Ace Frehley".
The "Eric" picture fooled a few Kisstards, he was that good.
Me being almost 15 years older than I should have been in a pic with 1980 Eric Carr was the giveaway.

And no, I did not ask them to sign my copy of Creatures where I have Paul, Gene and Vinnie's signatures :)
Spongie
Playing Shitty Clubs in a Van

Post by Spongie »

Winner winner chicken dinner.
parasite74
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by parasite74 »

The Paul Stanley in the band looks like he needs to do a few sit ups and cut back on the fast food.
Nobodyspecial
Winning Local Battle of the Bands

Post by Nobodyspecial »

Sure, I'd have Jeff Pilson & Kelly Hanson from Foreigner sign some Dokken & Hurricane stuff :)
Cindy Buzzedimisa

Post by Cindy Buzzedimisa »

Mister Freeze wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 9:45 pm
Tommy wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 6:46 pm Is this tour rider for a band like this common?

That is far from a demanding tour rider.

Looks like a band who understands the issues that arise on a regular basis and have their requirements in one place to nip that shit in the bud.
I agree that's completely reasonable. Easy, even. All they want for themselves backstage are soda, beer and pizza. The rest is technical stuff that the venue should be on top of anyway.