How are Steelheart these days?

The one that started it all. Spreading gossip and insults since 1998.

Moderator: Metal Sludge

EddiesCancerTongue
Headlining Clubs

How are Steelheart these days?

Post by EddiesCancerTongue »

They are playing in San Juan Capistrano and my friend is thinking of going. Has anybody seen them live recently?
Metal! wrote:I know you don't mean that. You are just being Sludgy.
Out of the Cellar wrote:Listening to Jeff Beck makes you wanna look at your fingers and say, "fuck you".
LillianRoxyFA
Headlining Clubs

Re: How are Steelheart these days?

Post by LillianRoxyFA »

I just caught them a couple weeks ago opening for Lita Ford in MN. Milo still has 80% of his amazing voice, which means he's 100 times better live than Don Dokken, Vince, or Eric Martin. Good band and an interesting set list (heavy on the Rock Star soundtrack). I've always been a Steelheart fan, but I'd say even for the casual fan they are a solid live act worth checking out.
It's hard for me to get used to these changing times. I can remember when the air was clean and sex was dirty.

-- George Burns
LAglamrocker
Playing First Stage at SludgeFest

Post by LAglamrocker »

Go to Whisky show not Coach House picnic table venue
Kind of disappointing 2nd cd doesn’t get much love in setlist
Show will be fun at either venue just avoid the stupid Foo Fighters stupid ass show later this summer
Jani Lane and Bret Michaels should form a band called "Nelson II"
aznsquirt
Playing Decent Clubs in a Bus

Post by aznsquirt »

Having watched videos here and there since they re-formed, it's pretty impressive how good Milli still sounds considering he basically had the GOAT voice for that style back in the day. From what I've seen it's definitely still good enough to be very enjoyable, and his band is always tight.
ParaDime77
Signed to a Major Label Multi-Album Deal

Post by ParaDime77 »

Saw the band pre pandemic and was pleasantly surprised how good they were. Mili is really good as a front man.
Everyone Is Someone Else's Bitch
dweezil

Post by dweezil »

The voice is still amazing.
The songs are utter crap. They may as well have been Bryan Adams songs.
That voice sold the band back in the day.
You can listen to my two albums here.... Sludge away, fuckers!

http://easeintothenoise.bandcamp.com
MetalSludgeCEO
Playing First Stage at SludgeFest

Post by MetalSludgeCEO »

LillianRoxyFA wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 8:22 am I just caught them a couple weeks ago opening for Lita Ford in MN. Milo still has 80% of his amazing voice, which means he's 100 times better live than Don Dokken, Vince, or Eric Martin. Good band and an interesting set list (heavy on the Rock Star soundtrack). I've always been a Steelheart fan, but I'd say even for the casual fan they are a solid live act worth checking out.
THIS, THIS and THIS!

And... dare I say... your 80% is a low number... maybe 90%?

I played with him in Peru, last December... and that was the first time we ever gigged on a bill like that.... and he KILLED it!

We went to dinner a few times, had some 1-on-1 about the biz, life with kids, bands, and more.

I have to say... Mili is a VERY cool guy, a little cocky... but so am I. You have to carry a big set to be a frontman in rock n' roll!

He is in great shape, takes care of himself, both physically, and in the way of his voice, etc...

I knew he would be very good, as I had seen videos, but I watched him from30 feet away for his set, and he absolutely KILLED it!

Great frontman too... the real deal.... and that applies to being a person... from what I gathered, he's one of the good guys!

$tEvil
greengoblinrulz
Headlining Clubs

Post by greengoblinrulz »

Had a lil health problems in past couple years (was it a stroke??) but with reviews here, he's back.
Steelheart is a really solid act & Milli doesnt take a backseat to many, if any.
greengoblinrulz
Headlining Clubs

Post by greengoblinrulz »

LillianRoxyFA wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 8:22 am I just caught them a couple weeks ago opening for Lita Ford in MN. Milo still has 80% of his amazing voice, which means he's 100 times better live than Don Dokken, Vince, or Eric Martin. Good band and an interesting set list (heavy on the Rock Star soundtrack). I've always been a Steelheart fan, but I'd say even for the casual fan they are a solid live act worth checking out.
Kind of surprised to see you list Eric Martin. Seen Eric a couple times in last 2 years solo but missed his MN show last month.
Whats reason you're including him?
Black Stuff
Doing Package Tours in Theaters

Post by Black Stuff »

MetalSludgeCEO wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 5:59 am
THIS, THIS and THIS!

And... dare I say... your 80% is a low number... maybe 90%?

I played with him in Peru, last December... and that was the first time we ever gigged on a bill like that.... and he KILLED it!

We went to dinner a few times, had some 1-on-1 about the biz, life with kids, bands, and more.

I have to say... Mili is a VERY cool guy, a little cocky... but so am I. You have to carry a big set to be a frontman in rock n' roll!

He is in great shape, takes care of himself, both physically, and in the way of his voice, etc...

I knew he would be very good, as I had seen videos, but I watched him from30 feet away for his set, and he absolutely KILLED it!

Great frontman too... the real deal.... and that applies to being a person... from what I gathered, he's one of the good guys!

$tEvil
They need to get on the MORC!
The power of Sludge compels you.
DonJuanDeMarco
Headlining Clubs

Post by DonJuanDeMarco »

LillianRoxyFA wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 8:22 am Good band and an interesting set list (heavy on the Rock Star soundtrack).
How did that happen actually? It’s really amazing. We All Die Young was on their 3rd or 4th album that was released on a small label. It went unnoticed. How did he become one of the singers in that movie with his songs in it too?
"You want Don Juan DeMarco, the world's greatest lover, to talk to you? What do you know of great love?"
LillianRoxyFA
Headlining Clubs

Post by LillianRoxyFA »

greengoblinrulz wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 8:03 am
Kind of surprised to see you list Eric Martin. Seen Eric a couple times in last 2 years solo but missed his MN show last month.
I saw Mr. Big in Green Bay a month ago. Drove from Mpls because MN date didn't work for me. Eric's voice was in rough shape. He croaked his way through the set and deferred to Billy and Paul for much of the vocal duties. Made them sound thin. Maybe it was a bad day for Eric, but the show blew. That's why I included him.
It's hard for me to get used to these changing times. I can remember when the air was clean and sex was dirty.

-- George Burns
Indy_Rob
Headlining a Theater Tour

Post by Indy_Rob »

LillianRoxyFA wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 12:07 pm
I saw Mr. Big in Green Bay a month ago. Drove from Mpls because MN date didn't work for me. Eric's voice was in rough shape. He croaked his way through the set and deferred to Billy and Paul for much of the vocal duties. Made them sound thin. Maybe it was a bad day for Eric, but the show blew. That's why I included him.
Timely question, Greengoblin.
Check these links for the answer:

https://blabbermouth.net/news/mr-big-re ... oice-issue
https://blabbermouth.net/news/watch-mr- ... hele-luppi
MattleyCrue

Post by MattleyCrue »

I need to wear my Steelheart shirt
LAglamrocker wrote:
Walk in Diesel store Melrose with Ashba gear commands respect, not sure you are allowed in with Walmart gear
REO Cokewagon
Winning Local Battle of the Bands

Post by REO Cokewagon »

Where was the review then?

U drive all the way to Green bay, in the CEO's backyard, and u dont tell us shit??

How long was the drive, and why the fuck would u drive so far to see a dumb band like Mr. Big? Tough shit if it didn't "work for u" in MN!!

Did u stay at a hotel overnight or did u drive back the same night? What places did u stop and eat at? Perkins? Denny's? IHOP?
Last edited by REO Cokewagon on Sun Mar 24, 2024 9:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tommy2Tone84

Post by Tommy2Tone84 »

Reins isn’t as good as the first album but it has grown on me over the years. Wait is phenomenal although I’m not sure how many original members are on it. He did an amazing job of evolving on Wait but not losing his sound and soul. Very underrated singer and band. They should have been on arena tours in 1990, 1991 and 1992. I think many veteran acts heard him on INLYG and went “No Way” because they didn’t want to get upstaged. Milo is one of my all time favorite singers and that first album is in my top ten of glam metal debut albums of all time.
HoldenSSV
Playing at a Friend's Party

Post by HoldenSSV »

Tommy2Tone84 wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 6:14 am Reins isn’t as good as the first album but it has grown on me over the years. Wait is phenomenal although I’m not sure how many original members are on it. He did an amazing job of evolving on Wait but not losing his sound and soul. Very underrated singer and band. They should have been on arena tours in 1990, 1991 and 1992. I think many veteran acts heard him on INLYG and went “No Way” because they didn’t want to get upstaged. Milo is one of my all time favorite singers and that first album is in my top ten of glam metal debut albums of all time.
His untimely injury on tour that nearly killed him didn't help either. I want to try and catch them this year - I just wish Risola was back.
"Copying off of one person is called plagiarism.
Copying off of ten people is called research."
Indy_Rob

Post by Indy_Rob »

Tommy2Tone84 wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 6:14 am Reins isn’t as good as the first album but it has grown on me over the years. Wait is phenomenal although I’m not sure how many original members are on it. He did an amazing job of evolving on Wait but not losing his sound and soul. Very underrated singer and band. They should have been on arena tours in 1990, 1991 and 1992. I think many veteran acts heard him on INLYG and went “No Way” because they didn’t want to get upstaged. Milo is one of my all time favorite singers and that first album is in my top ten of glam metal debut albums of all time.
Agreed with a lot of this. But I actually liked Tangled in Reins better than the debut. Mili is a vocal beast and has obviously taken care of himself and voice through the years. I saw them open for Lynch Mob on the Wicked Sensation tour and they were excellent. I don't think they've played Indianapolis since then.
Tommy2Tone84

Post by Tommy2Tone84 »

HoldenSSV wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 6:46 am
His untimely injury on tour that nearly killed him didn't help either. I want to try and catch them this year - I just wish Risola was back.
Didn’t that happen during Wait? Or did it happen on the Reins tour? Me too, Chris is a great guitarist.
HoldenSSV
Playing at a Friend's Party

Post by HoldenSSV »

Tommy2Tone84 wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 6:59 am
HoldenSSV wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 6:46 am
Didn’t that happen during Wait? Or did it happen on the Reins tour? Me too, Chris is a great guitarist.
Pretty sure it was one of the last shows on the Reins tour.
"Copying off of one person is called plagiarism.
Copying off of ten people is called research."
Tommy2Tone84

Post by Tommy2Tone84 »

Indy_Rob wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 6:55 am
Agreed with a lot of this. But I actually liked Tangled in Reins better than the debut. Mili is a vocal beast and has obviously taken care of himself and voice through the years. I saw them open for Lynch Mob on the Wicked Sensation tour and they were excellent. I don't think they've played Indianapolis since then.
You lucky, lucky, dirty dog you!!! I would’ve killed to see that bill. I will say from the videos I’ve seen on YouTube, Oni suffered some as a live vocalist. Still, it’s the best album George ever did.

I’m not sure why Reins didn’t click with me the way the eponymous debut did. The first album for me was like WS87’s kid brother being almost as good and equally as cool. In some ways, vocally speaking, it was better.
Indy_Rob

Post by Indy_Rob »

Tommy2Tone84 wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 7:10 am
You lucky, lucky, dirty dog you!!! I would’ve killed to see that bill. I will say from the videos I’ve seen on YouTube, Oni suffered some as a live vocalist. Still, it’s the best album George ever did.

I’m not sure why Reins didn’t click with me the way the eponymous debut did. The first album for me was like WS87’s kid brother being almost as good and equally as cool. In some ways, vocally speaking, it was better.
Lynch Mob and Steelheart were both supporting their debut albums and both bands were on fire. I hadn't bought the Steelheart album yet but I bought it right away after that concert. Been a fan ever since.
Tommy2Tone84

Post by Tommy2Tone84 »

Indy_Rob wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 7:28 am
Tommy2Tone84 wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 7:10 am

Lynch Mob and Steelheart were both supporting their debut albums and both bands were on fire. I hadn't bought the Steelheart album yet but I bought it right away after that concert. Been a fan ever since.

That’s bitchen
Mister Freeze
Platinum Artist

Post by Mister Freeze »

Might have to give them a listen. Even back in 1990, I thought their big power ballad was a list of lyrical cliches - almost a parody.

Just looked up the stats. The album went Gold and the single hit #23. I just recall thinking, "Why is MTV playing this video so much?"
skunklovestiger wrote: A comment like this needs a really useless piece of shit. Well maybe you are used to get fucked by your mother in the basement. It would be better if somebody just kills you useless asshole. Just killl yourself shithead.
Nobodyspecial

Post by Nobodyspecial »

On November 1, 1992 radio rang out with the news of STEELHEART's vocalist Miljenko "Mili" Matijevic defies death during their concert the previous night. It was Halloween night in Denver, Colorado the end of U.S. tour in support of Great White, when Steelheart was invited to open an additional show for the band Slaughter.

Steelheart was performing "Dancing in the Fire" from the "Tangled in Reins" album when Matijevic was involved in a serious accident. Matijevic decided to climb a lighting truss which was for some reason improperly secured so as Matijevic climbed the rig it broke free. Matijevic tried to dodge the 1000 pound piece of equipment to no avail, it hit him in the back of the head, driving him face first into the stage.

https://youtu.be/0YnCnFHDPyA?si=dE8ioLt95cvYLH1J
Bono Nettencourt
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by Bono Nettencourt »

Mister Freeze wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 7:02 am Might have to give them a listen. Even back in 1990, I thought their big power ballad was a list of lyrical cliches - almost a parody.

Just looked up the stats. The album went Gold and the single hit #23. I just recall thinking, "Why is MTV playing this video so much?"
Power ballads were getting saturation play at the time, all the way into late 91 even with Extreme and Mr. Big racking up #1s.
ijwthstd wrote: obviously you take this way too seriously and were deeply affected by what transpired in the early 1990's and hopefully you are discussing these issues with a therapist in addition to other fans on music message boards.
REO Cokewagon

Post by REO Cokewagon »

REO Cokewagon wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 10:28 pm

How long was the drive, and why the fuck would u drive so far to see a dumb band like Mr. Big? Tough shit if it didn't "work for u" in MN!!

Did u stay at a hotel overnight or did u drive back the same night? What places did u stop and eat at? Perkins? Denny's? IHOP?
Hey LillianRoxyFA, we still waitin' for details about ur trip to Green Bay !!!
Tommy2Tone84

Post by Tommy2Tone84 »

Mister Freeze wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 7:02 am Might have to give them a listen. Even back in 1990, I thought their big power ballad was a list of lyrical cliches - almost a parody.

I was too busy digging on the opening guitar harmonies and being in awe of his vocal range to be that cynical. I guess not every band can come up with genius lyrics like “I’m the man in the box…..buried in my shit”

Steelheart’s first album is as good as any in the genre.
veritas
Cockblocked by Poison

Post by veritas »

Based on the live clips I have seen, his voice is not 80-90% of what it was -- not close. But that's a testament to how ridiculously good his voice was in his younger years, and he still has kept it MUCH better than pretty much any of his contemporaries.

I also want to lodge a small protest at Milli's continuation of wearing an open shirt, same to Billy Idol and all these other old men who are no longer close to the shape they were in 20-30 years ago. It's okay to button the shirt - to change the look from your youth.
I don't wear the same clothes I wore when I was 23. It's okay.
JizzySynatra

Post by JizzySynatra »

DonJuanDeMarco wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 11:34 am
LillianRoxyFA wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 8:22 am Good band and an interesting set list (heavy on the Rock Star soundtrack).
How did that happen actually? It’s really amazing. We All Die Young was on their 3rd or 4th album that was released on a small label. It went unnoticed. How did he become one of the singers in that movie with his songs in it too?
Good question. Him and Jeff Scott Soto pretty much split vocal duties on the soundtrack. Songwriting for that soundtrack was pretty interesting from what I remember. Sammy Hagar wrote Stand Up and Shout, Twiggy Ramirez did Blood Pollution, Steel Heart's We All Die Young, and Reckless by Kane Roberts is in the movie but didn't make the official soundtrack.