Rock at the Spectrum

The one that started it all. Spreading gossip and insults since 1998.

Moderator: Metal Sludge

ijwthstd
Platinum Artist

Rock at the Spectrum

Post by ijwthstd »

Who are some ROCKERS (rollers too) you suspect may have played at the Philadelphia Spectrum?

Bruce Springsteen for sure.

Maybe Skid Row but did they ever headline? Such a fine line between next big thing and someone to help sell beer and nachos.
"I went and saw Chickenfoot twice. I've suffered for being Sammy's friend" - Bob Forrest
dmbrocker
Signed to a Major Label Multi-Album Deal
Location: Rockin’ with Amber, Bradie, Laurine, Dokken, Ratt, Motley, Aerosmith, Rush, Poison…

Re: Rock at the Spectrum

Post by dmbrocker »

Cinderella were from Philly. Did they ever get to play there in front of their hometown crowd?
LAglamrocker wrote: Trixter is awesome but everyone has seen After The Rain video correct? That’s one of first things I’m going thank God for
TeslaFan
Recording Debut Album

Post by TeslaFan »

Dokken opening for Aerosmith 1987. This is when they were in top form. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=HJjIWQ7na ... FkZWxwaGlh
Just a regular guy who likes Metal
Blumpkin King
Headlining Clubs

Post by Blumpkin King »

Dio did a live concert from the Spectrum that was a vhs video. I watched that thing 1000 times.
Love_Industry

Post by Love_Industry »

Heavens Edge and Yngwie Malmsteen played the Spectrum opening for either Dio or Cinderella. Or both?
BernieTaupson
Playing Decent Clubs in a Bus

Post by BernieTaupson »

Bono Nettencourt
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by Bono Nettencourt »

Ah, the air-conditioned Spectrum... where I saw all my arena shows back in the day.
August 1988: The Axl Who? Incident
This Spectrum show was the band’s second stop in Philly on their “Appetite for Destruction” tour, the first being at the Trocadero in October 1987. (If you were at the latter, you’ve definitely unlocked some coolness tokens.) But this one almost didn’t happen. See, the parking attendants had no idea who Axl Rose was and didn’t want to let him drive onto the lot. A scuffle ensued, and he narrowly escaped arrest.
Natch, he brought it up on stage that night. They were opening up for Aerosmith. I saw them the next night.
ijwthstd wrote: obviously you take this way too seriously and were deeply affected by what transpired in the early 1990's and hopefully you are discussing these issues with a therapist in addition to other fans on music message boards.
Don't Damn Me
Debut Album Goes Gold

Post by Don't Damn Me »

I saw my first few concerts there, starting in 1982 - Iron Maiden opening for Judas priest.
Then in 86 I saw Dokken open for priest.
In 91 I saw priest Megadeth & testament

I was at that Dio concert with malmstein and Heaven's Edge in August 90. It was kind of sad, dio filmed both of his home videos at the Spectrum but this time he couldn't sell it out and they did what was called a showcase where half the arena is shut off.

Oh and I'm just remembering I saw Tommy Shaw open for rush, Ted Nugent open for Kiss in 87, scorpions great white and trixter in 91, oh and how could I forget Queensryche opening for Metallica in 90
Bono Nettencourt
MSX Tour Support Act

Don't Damn Me wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 4:16 pm I saw my first few concerts there, starting in 1982 - Iron Maiden opening for Judas priest.

I was at that Dio concert with malmstein and Heaven's Edge in August 90. It was kind of sad, dio filmed both of his home videos at the Spectrum but this time he couldn't sell it out and they did what was called a showcase where half the arena is shut off.
Yeah that show was an early indicator that the scene was on its last legs. No one on that tour ever played on an arena stage again.
ijwthstd wrote: obviously you take this way too seriously and were deeply affected by what transpired in the early 1990's and hopefully you are discussing these issues with a therapist in addition to other fans on music message boards.
Don't Damn Me
Debut Album Goes Gold

Post by Don't Damn Me »

Bono Nettencourt wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 5:17 am
Don't Damn Me wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 4:16 pm I saw my first few concerts there, starting in 1982 - Iron Maiden opening for Judas priest.

Yeah that show was an early indicator that the scene was on its last legs. No one on that tour ever played on an arena stage again.
I loved Heavens Edge and had seen them plenty of times at the local clubs. They're label really dropped the ball on them. But they've went on to do well for themselves individually.
But at that Spectrum show they brought out two DJs from WMMR I guess just to let them say hi to the crowd and those dorky fuckers did not leave the stage. Heaven's Edge always put on a great show and these guys are ruining this special gig by being a distraction. I bet the dudes in the band were pissed
Bono Nettencourt
MSX Tour Support Act

Yeah unlike Muff and the band we can't mention HE were a genuinely talented group who arrived too late.
Don't Damn Me
Debut Album Goes Gold

Post by Don't Damn Me »

Bono Nettencourt wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 12:14 pm Yeah unlike Muff and the band we can't mention HE were a genuinely talented group who arrived too late.
Sure we can. You just gotta -
https://youtu.be/AWeA-r6LHTU?feature=shared
Love_Industry

Post by Love_Industry »

Don't Damn Me wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 9:57 am
I loved Heavens Edge and had seen them plenty of times at the local clubs. They're label really dropped the ball on them. But they've went on to do well for themselves individually.
Cool. Wish I had seen them but my only (?) chance was Firefest in 2013. They actually had a show booked in Sweden, a one-day festival, but it was cancelled either because of Reggie's surgery, or that the show (headlined by the very average Treat and godawful Clawfinger) didn't sell. Or both. A year after that GG died and that was the end of the original line-up.

Well, they have a new bass player and a new album out, so maybe I can see some version of HE playing their classic songs. Seems good from recent videos.
dmbrocker
Location: Rockin’ with Amber, Bradie, Laurine, Dokken, Ratt, Motley, Aerosmith, Rush, Poison…

Post by dmbrocker »

Just read about Ratt playing the Spectrum on this exact date in '87 with Poison opening. Anyone recall that show?
LAglamrocker wrote: Trixter is awesome but everyone has seen After The Rain video correct? That’s one of first things I’m going thank God for
Mister Freeze
Platinum Artist

Post by Mister Freeze »

No concerts, but I saw Hulk Hogan leg drop Adorable Adrian Adonis at the Philadelphia Spectrum.
skunklovestiger wrote: A comment like this needs a really useless piece of shit. Well maybe you are used to get fucked by your mother in the basement. It would be better if somebody just kills you useless asshole. Just killl yourself shithead.
Dyslexicheart
Debut Album Goes Gold

Post by Dyslexicheart »

I would suspect every big 70's rock band played at the Spectrum at one point or another. It's not much different than asking who played the old Boston Garden
crowkiss
Wannabe Rocker

Post by crowkiss »

Bunch of savages in this town.
Sleek
Playing a Package Tour in Arenas

Post by Sleek »

I know I was through there a few times...probably with Ratt and AC/DC. Everybody called it "The Rectum".
ROADHEAD wrote:I've never tasted coffee
HueyRamone wrote:I like Radio Gaga
HueyRamone wrote:QUIT FUCKING WITH MY SETLIST, ASSWIPE!

Bono Nettencourt
MSX Tour Support Act

Sleek wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 2:44 pm I know I was through there a few times...probably with Ratt and AC/DC. Everybody called it "The Rectum".
Coulda killed'em!
dmbrocker

Post by dmbrocker »

Sleek wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 2:44 pm I know I was through there a few times...probably with Ratt and AC/DC. Everybody called it "The Rectum".
I was thinking you might have been at the '87 Ratt/Poison Spectrum show I mentioned. IIRC, didn't ya you were working for one of those two bands at the time?
Sleek

Post by Sleek »

Yup I was there with Poison.

Mister Freeze
Platinum Artist

Post by Mister Freeze »

Sleek wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 6:58 pm Yup I was there with Poison.

Which band had the most pussy in their dressing room?

skunklovestiger wrote: A comment like this needs a really useless piece of shit. Well maybe you are used to get fucked by your mother in the basement. It would be better if somebody just kills you useless asshole. Just killl yourself shithead.
Sleek

Post by Sleek »

In the dressing room?

Probably Vixen?