Country

The one that started it all. Spreading gossip and insults since 1998.

Moderator: Metal Sludge

gtshark1
Headlining Clubs

Country

Post by gtshark1 »

Besides LAglamrocker, who's gone Country? I've always been into classic country like Cash, Jones, etc. 80s and 90s country too as I worked in country radio in college. I've always been Rock first but a little country mixed in. I resisted any Country after 2000.

Recently I booked a trip to Nashville for work and I've been listening to Country over Rock 90% of the time. I've even embraced some new stuff and I really like Jon Pardi and Chris Janson both of whom I'm seeing at the Grand Ole Opry next week. Going to see Sierra Ferrell the next night at the Ryman.

Like I said I resisted modern country and Bro Country for the longest time but I'm finding it way more fresh than anything in Rock right now. Anyone else into Country as they get older. I know the classic stuff is highly regarded by some here but anyone embraced current country?
TooOldToCare
Playing Shitty Clubs in a Van

Re: Country

Post by TooOldToCare »

I've tried because of shredders like Keith Urban and Brad Paisley, but I can't. I do like Cash. I consider him almost punk-country since he was such a rebel. Simple songs that tell a great story. I also like Willie, less for his music and more for the person.
daveg
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by daveg »

Love all the new country. Last couple years or so got hooked. It's basically hair metal, but instead ot girls booze drugs and sex .they sing about backroads, long knecks, creeks, trucks etc
Big sing along choruses

Morgan Wallens latest is in my top 10 albums ever.
dmbrocker
Signed to a Major Label Multi-Album Deal
Location: Rockin’ with Amber, Bradie, Laurine, Dokken, Ratt, Motley, Aerosmith, Rush, Poison…

Post by dmbrocker »

I usually can't stand country music unless it's classic stuff like Johnny Cash, "Hello Darlin'", "Coal Miner's Daughter", etc. or early 80’s crossover pop country like Kenny and Dolly, Oak Ridge Boys' "Elvira", Ronnie Milsap, etc. My seething hatred of bro country has been documented on here quite a few times, especially since a lot of it these days is just lyrical panderings to small town redneck America, which isn't necesarilly a bad thing, just not my thing.
Last edited by dmbrocker on Sun Mar 10, 2024 1:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LAglamrocker wrote: Trixter is awesome but everyone has seen After The Rain video correct? That’s one of first things I’m going thank God for
AlexVonHaig
Playing Decent Clubs in a Bus

Post by AlexVonHaig »

Zero Point Zero
maninblack
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by maninblack »

The USA should be proud of their country music. It is a wonderful thing, and it is timeless. I like country music more the more I hear it.
RaceFan3
Debut Album Goes Gold

Post by RaceFan3 »

I love classic and outlaw country: Waylon, Haggard, Willie, Johnny, George, Kris, Don Williams, Ed Bruce, Emmylou Harris, Loretta Lynn, Dolly, Buck Owens, Hank, Lefty, et. al.

A lot of the classic duets are great too: George/Tammy, Porter/Dolly, Conway/Loretta, etc.

Bro Country I can't stand though. They should just call it Pop, cuz its barely country. Some of it is tolerable but most of it is just, blech. There are a few current country artists however who do it right...Stapleton, Jinks, Combs, Johnson, Wade Bowen, Randy Rogers.

That said, I do look forward to country shows & festivals each summer though. Always a fun, beer drinkin' good time and worth it for the incredible eye candy alone.
*I kinda want a new screenname. Seriously. I barely watch racing anymore. :x
Wednesday 13 Fan

Post by Wednesday 13 Fan »

Old country is great. Today's country is almost total dogshit. I mostly like it from the 70s-80s. I particularly love the whole cosmo-country movement of the mid-70s to the mid-80s. Charly McClain was the best.
BulletProofPoet

Post by BulletProofPoet »

Turnpike Troubadours, Zach Bryan, Whiskey Myers, American Aquarium, Wade Bowen, Parker McCollum, Reckless Kelly, Randy Rogers, John Moreland and Kolby Cooper to name a few.
MattleyCrue

Post by MattleyCrue »

Country channel on Sirius was on at work yesterday and people make fun of me for liking hair metal 🤔🤷🏻‍♂️
LAglamrocker wrote:
Walk in Diesel store Melrose with Ashba gear commands respect, not sure you are allowed in with Walmart gear
Rocker4Real
Opening Act in Local Bars

Post by Rocker4Real »

I like Michael Nesmith's (from the Monkees) countrish sounding music.
LAglamrocker
Playing First Stage at SludgeFest

Post by LAglamrocker »

Pardi and Janson are like Fresno State men’s basketball team this year garbage.
Venue in Nashville will be sweet

Kip Moore and Locash are like UNLV 1990 basketball

Leaving Fresno is always a good thing

I remember as a kid people flying in for Fresno Fair because it was so awesome- that was always kind of crazy to me
Jani Lane and Bret Michaels should form a band called "Nelson II"
Nate S Axel

Post by Nate S Axel »

gtshark1 wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 7:39 am Besides LAglamrocker, who's gone Country? I've always been into classic country like Cash, Jones, etc. 80s and 90s country too as I worked in country radio in college. I've always been Rock first but a little country mixed in. I resisted any Country after 2000.

Recently I booked a trip to Nashville for work and I've been listening to Country over Rock 90% of the time. I've even embraced some new stuff and I really like Jon Pardi and Chris Janson both of whom I'm seeing at the Grand Ole Opry next week. Going to see Sierra Ferrell the next night at the Ryman.

Like I said I resisted modern country and Bro Country for the longest time but I'm finding it way more fresh than anything in Rock right now. Anyone else into Country as they get older. I know the classic stuff is highly regarded by some here but anyone embraced current country?
Love it all -- from classic outlaw country, honky tonk, country pop, Texas country, to "bro country", whatever you want to call it. Even country rap.

You just can't talk to somebody that dismisses an entire genre of music (country, hip hop, etc.) since that encompasses so many different sounds. It's cool that you hate it and want to listen to the same 10 albums since 1989... just stop pretending you know what you're talking about, instead of sounding completely clueless.

Country is just more relatable at this stage of life. It's pretty simple, even if stereotypical sometimes in the lyrics. Girls, drinking, driving around, being with your friends, having a good time, sports, reminiscing about good memories or people that are gone, etc. Not all of us are counting down the days until we die.

The biggest song in 2023 on the Hot 100 was Morgan Wallen's "Last Night" which was #1 for 16 fucking weeks -- the first country song to finish at #1 since 2000, and the first by a male artist since 1959. His new album was released a YEAR AGO, and it's still #2 on the Billboard 200, with his previous album released in 2021 sitting at #11:
https://www.billboard.com/charts/billboard-200/

He just released some new tracks last week (Abbey Road Sessions) which will probably be on his next album that'll sit at the top of the charts:
"Lies Lies Lies" - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aN7WCsC9nkI
"Graveyard Whistling" (Nothing But Thieves cover) - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p9Jjk9jH428
"Thinkin' Bout Me" (different version, already on his last album) - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G8lnYcC8yjk

It's interesting you say "country over rock" or whatever, because most artists today fuse the genres together. It's rare to hear a song now and think it's pure country, so there are a lot of artists where it's more of a country-rock sound on its own, even a lot of Mr. "Try That In A Small Town" Jason Aldean's himself. That song itself even had a sweet guitar solo.

Tons of new talent in the genre today. Check out guys like Koe Wetzel, Tim Montana, Parker McCollum, HARDY, Larry Fleet, Dylan Wheeler, Ian Munsick... and on and on and on.
https://www.last.fm/user/SundownDevil
LAglamrocker wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2023 10:45 am I can’t believe people actually don’t live in So Cal/ San Diego/Vegas circle ..waste of life
Psychobolia.com
Playing a Package Tour in Arenas
Location: Paris, France, land of sleaze and cheese, wine and whine

Post by Psychobolia.com »

I dig David Allan Coe....and a bit of country rap.
GoodJudge

Post by GoodJudge »

I like side 1 of Copperhead Road. Side 2 is ok. Not really bothered about anything else.
Jason Jennifer Leigh
Headlining Clubs

Post by Jason Jennifer Leigh »

Chris Stapleton
EzyRider
Doing Package Tours in Theaters

Post by EzyRider »

I realized that most country is more about storytelling and less about music a few years back.

I'm a rocker, I want to rock the f*ck out. I don't want to hear some dipsh*t story about how my cousins half brother left his wife, who turns out was actually his cousin.
It's good to be bad
It's the best time you'll ever have
What the hell is this ultra sad
Pray for your cool and work on that ass!
SexxAtraxxion
Cockblocked by Poison

Post by SexxAtraxxion »

:arrow: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6TAPqXkZW_I

Taylor Swift – betty (2020)
My music library at last.fm:
https://www.last.fm/user/JonathanHalen
FreddyFender
Headlining Clubs

Post by FreddyFender »

Country music died the day Garth Brooks came on the scene.

The stuff that came before him... I love it.

The stuff after? Not gonna argue whether its good or not, but it isn't country music.
ParaDime77
Signed to a Major Label Multi-Album Deal

Post by ParaDime77 »

Jon Parsi was a great mention. Chris Janson too. I can’t get into really mega corporate shitlike Aldean or Thomas Rhett. It’s wretched. Always liked classic country like Little Texas and Diamond Rio.
Everyone Is Someone Else's Bitch
Tommy
Debut Album Goes Gold

Post by Tommy »

It's 99% shit. Stapleton is alright. Cash, Hank Jr and Waylon have their moments too. Otherwise, mostly shit.
Bono Nettencourt
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by Bono Nettencourt »

Country-rock like the Byrds and late 60s Stones was cool.
ijwthstd wrote: obviously you take this way too seriously and were deeply affected by what transpired in the early 1990's and hopefully you are discussing these issues with a therapist in addition to other fans on music message boards.
Wild Obsession
Debut Album Goes Gold

Post by Wild Obsession »

The new "Country" (last decade or so) is total pap, with the garbage "Bro-Counrty" (Florida Georgia Line, Luke Bryan, etc.) being the bottom of the barrel. Formulated, soulless garbage, churned out by the Nashville machine.
Sleek
Playing a Package Tour in Arenas

Post by Sleek »

There's a big underground L.A. country scene that I am trying to dip into, but I fucking swear that all of the shows are on days I have gigs.

I wanna check it out, because I do a bit of country and it could be somewhere that an older gentleman like I might be able to find a place...
ROADHEAD wrote:I've never tasted coffee
HueyRamone wrote:I like Radio Gaga
HueyRamone wrote:QUIT FUCKING WITH MY SETLIST, ASSWIPE!

Dyslexicheart
Debut Album Goes Gold

Post by Dyslexicheart »

Old country is great, bro-country is cringe awful.
cowpins
Platinum Artist

Post by cowpins »

"bus problems come on man so boring we have our bus its awesome and we r watching judge judy on it right now tour is going great 14 more shows to go see you out there rockin peeps not you garbageman you stay home" - HueyRamone, 7/3/12
Charles Bukaki

Post by Charles Bukaki »

These are all from 2012-14 but from what I've been forced to listen to modern bro country hasn't really changed. This guy took six country songs and mashed them all together showing that they're all the same song

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FY8SwIv ... 0VXubTsAoE

I've been hearing this stuff for years because I play a lot of pool in bars and pool halls and I can't stand it, it's all so bland and pandering. I like some of the older stuff, Willie, Waylon, Kristofferson, Cash, Hank (Grandpa, not Jr) Georges Strait and Jones and the like. My girlfriend is a big Marty Stuart fan and we saw him a couple times last year, I wasn't too familiar with his stuff, but both shows were great. Hank III had a good thing going on for a while in the mid-late 2000s, but he eventually went of the rails. Townes Van Zandt was another one, but he was more of a country tinged songwriter. Justin Townes Earle (Steve's kid) was more songwriter/Americana, but had some country to him and was an amazing songwriter until he ODed a couple years ago. I also really dig late 60's/early 70's Country Rock, stuff like Gram Parsons and The Flying Burrito Brothers.
Last edited by Charles Bukaki on Tue Mar 12, 2024 7:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
maninblack
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by maninblack »

cowpins wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 6:21 pm Thoughts on this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SVwFZURgjnk
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Gram Parsons lives on!!
whiteowl yesterday

Post by whiteowl yesterday »

i like 70s,80s,and 90s country.
don't listen to anything new.
"artist formerly known as midnighttoker"
CrankerBait
Playing Shitty Clubs in a Van

Post by CrankerBait »

Some of the old stuff - Hank Williams, Marty Robbins, for example - is alright. Kind of country/folk.

There's some great old bluegrass that I like in small doses, but bluegrass purists might not like to be grouped in with country.

Buck Owens and Carl Perkins were kind of a mix of country and rock, and both had some great songs.

Johnny Cash was great. Waylon Jennings and Willie Nelson made some good songs. Kenny Rogers had a handful of decent songs also.

Dolly Parton and Linda Ronstadt had a few good tunes also.

Never got into "new country", and I haven't heard a single "bro country" or "rap country" song that I found remotely tolerable.

Chris Stapleton is the only current "country" guy I really listen to, but his sound and influences go beyond country.

I think I've always preferred listening to country influenced songs by rock artists - the Stones, the Eagles or Skynyrd - than straight up country.