We don't talk nearly enough about Savage Amusement

The one that started it all. Spreading gossip and insults since 1998.

Moderator: Metal Sludge

SchenkerFan
Headlining Clubs

We don't talk nearly enough about Savage Amusement

Post by SchenkerFan »

This is such a great record. Never got the hate for it. Some excellent deep cuts like Every Minute Everyday, Media Overkill and Walking on the Edge.
War_in_D
Taking Music Lessons

Re: We don't talk nearly enough about Savage Amusement

Post by War_in_D »

That and World Wide Live were the only albums I owned by them. Loved Savage Amusement. Saw that tour.
Ryan81
Headlining Clubs

Post by Ryan81 »

Was just watching their performance in Dortmund '83 (the best single day line up of metal bands ever assembled) and man...they were/are a great live act!
Matthias is a fucking machine. Especially when he wore the stripes. It's strange seeing somebody ripping leads like that on an Explorer.
I still don't get how Rudolph looks like he is just strumming his right hand way too fast, but yet it sounds like a totally different part is being played.
Finally, Klaus was/is an outstanding front man. Tremendous energy! Beings that World Wide Live is the greatest live album ever I guess it's not a surprise.
Yes, Savage Amusement was good, but I believe the criticism is that it sounds too polished. I actually liked Crazy World a little better. Neither of them is like the four punch combo of Lovedrive, Animal Magnatism, Blackout, and Love At First Sting.
Bono Nettencourt
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by Bono Nettencourt »

Because...

ijwthstd wrote: obviously you take this way too seriously and were deeply affected by what transpired in the early 1990's and hopefully you are discussing these issues with a therapist in addition to other fans on music message boards.
daveg
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by daveg »

The problem is it was the follow up to Sting. It didn't have that big hit, and as noted, was too polished.

Rhythm of Love is great..but the rest is just fine. Not terrible, but the previous 4 albums had a ton of great songs on them.
War_in_D
Taking Music Lessons

Post by War_in_D »

Why did it take four years to release this?
Ozzy Stradlin
Playing Decent Clubs in a Bus

Post by Ozzy Stradlin »

“Rhythm of Love” is an excellent song.

The rest of it pails in comparison to their previous 4 studio albums.

And let’s be honest - some of the lyrics are atrocious, even for the Scorps.

Examples:

“Without you, life’s like a song without music”

“For you - life is just like chess
If you don’t make the move - you lose the game like this”

:lol:
dmbrocker
Signed to a Major Label Multi-Album Deal
Location: Rockin’ with Amber, Bradie, Laurine, Dokken, Ratt, Motley, Aerosmith, Rush, Poison…

Post by dmbrocker »

"Rhythm of Love" is indeed a good first single. "Passion Rules the Game" and "Every Minute Every Day" are solid as well. It's not the Scorps' best album, but it's still fairly solid.
LAglamrocker wrote: Trixter is awesome but everyone has seen After The Rain video correct? That’s one of first things I’m going thank God for
Mister Freeze
Platinum Artist

Post by Mister Freeze »

The peak of hair metal gloss. It was their Crazy Nights.

(And Crazy World was their Hot in the Shade. A whole lot of meh with a big hit power ballad to save it.)
skunklovestiger wrote: A comment like this needs a really useless piece of shit. Well maybe you are used to get fucked by your mother in the basement. It would be better if somebody just kills you useless asshole. Just killl yourself shithead.
Love_Industry

Post by Love_Industry »

Top 3 Scorps album, easily. Not as good as Lovedrive or Blackout but there's plenty of good stuff here. Don't Stop at the Top and Rhythm of Love are great, but the only song I really don't like on SA is "We Let It Rock... You Let It Roll".

That's right, I never liked Animal Magnetism, except for Make It Real it blows. And LAFS... it's close but I still prefer SA. There's no crap like The Same Thrill and Crossfire on SA. And most earlier and later albums, aren't very good save for a song here and there. Except maybe Humanity Hour 1 and Lonesome Crow :)
TravisBicklesMohawk
Headlining a Theater Tour

Post by TravisBicklesMohawk »

A great record for a great time.

Was always happy to see the Scorps get some major success as they well deserved it.
The Tao of Pooh
Image Image
TREVERLAST

Post by TREVERLAST »

I never really liked Rhythm of Love when it came out. Now after Hair Nation played it to death I appreciate the drums on it. I remember me and my buddies playing the cassette a lot when it cam out & we went to see them on the Monster of Rock tour. But I also remember not liking it as much as the previous albums & we considered the first sing as being "wimpy".
DemonFilth2001

Post by DemonFilth2001 »

Love_Industry wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 1:49 am Top 3 Scorps album, easily. Not as good as Lovedrive or Blackout but there's plenty of good stuff here. Don't Stop at the Top and Rhythm of Love are great, but the only song I really don't like on SA is "We Let It Rock... You Let It Roll".

That's right, I never liked Animal Magnetism, except for Make It Real it blows. And LAFS... it's close but I still prefer SA. There's no crap like The Same Thrill and Crossfire on SA. And most earlier and later albums, aren't very good save for a song here and there. Except maybe Humanity Hour 1 and Lonesome Crow :)
SA is good. I'd put it 5th. Right after the big 4.

Lonesome Crow is 100% trash.
KEYBOARD WARRIOR!
p86

Post by p86 »

I’ve always loved Don’t Stop at the Top.
Bono Nettencourt
MSX Tour Support Act

DemonFilth2001 wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 9:38 am
Love_Industry wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 1:49 am Top 3 Scorps album, easily. Not as good as Lovedrive or Blackout but there's plenty of good stuff here. Don't Stop at the Top and Rhythm of Love are great, but the only song I really don't like on SA is "We Let It Rock... You Let It Roll".

SA is good. I'd put it 5th. Right after the big 4.
Which means it's not good.
ijwthstd wrote: obviously you take this way too seriously and were deeply affected by what transpired in the early 1990's and hopefully you are discussing these issues with a therapist in addition to other fans on music message boards.
jhenders
Blowing Advance from Record Label

Post by jhenders »

The first 30 seconds of "Every Minute Every Day" are truly epic!

https://youtu.be/byc5_K3hDMc
Van Ailin'
Headlining Clubs

Post by Van Ailin' »

Media Overkill and We Let It Rock are the only two good songs on the whole record. Even worse, it sounded worse than their prior 4 albums despite using the same producer. I remember being profoundly bored with this one as an 18-year-old.
Van Ailin'
Headlining Clubs

Post by Van Ailin' »

Mister Freeze wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 6:49 pm The peak of hair metal gloss. It was their Crazy Nights.

(And Crazy World was their Hot in the Shade. A whole lot of meh with a big hit power ballad to save it.)
Crazy World was even worse than SA. I got off the train there. I just couldn't see eye to eye with the band anymore.
Metal Sludge
The End All Be All

Post by Metal Sludge »

I like it.
Not my favorite Scorpions album, Animal Magnetism is my fave. But it's good.
I sure wish The Scorpions would tour, but it looks like just a Vegas residency.
I could probably do that.
SchenkerFan
Headlining Clubs

Post by SchenkerFan »

Van Ailin' wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 7:58 pm
Mister Freeze wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 6:49 pm The peak of hair metal gloss. It was their Crazy Nights.

Crazy World was even worse than SA. I got off the train there. I just couldn't see eye to eye with the band anymore.
Wiki states the following about Crazy World:

Wishing to distance themselves from the Savage Amusement style, the band separated from their long-time producer and "Sixth Scorpion", Dieter Dierks, replacing him with Keith Olsen when they returned to the studio in 1990. Crazy World was released that year and displayed a less polished sound

Less polished sound? I wonder what album they were listening to. When you want a less polished album, you don't get Keith Olsen.
Black Stuff
Doing Package Tours in Theaters

Post by Black Stuff »

I see what you did there
The power of Sludge compels you.
Love_Industry

Post by Love_Industry »

SchenkerFan wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 12:15 pm

Wiki states the following about Crazy World:

Wishing to distance themselves from the Savage Amusement style, the band separated from their long-time producer and "Sixth Scorpion", Dieter Dierks, replacing him with Keith Olsen when they returned to the studio in 1990. Crazy World was released that year and displayed a less polished sound

Less polished sound? I wonder what album they were listening to. When you want a less polished album, you don't get Keith Olsen.
.... and co-write half the album with Jim Vallance of Bryan Adams fame. Or were they thinking they would get the guy who wrote War Machine with Gene Simmons? :)
"Less Polished" would be Face the Heat, the next album. But it sucked too except for Alien Nation, a top 5 Scorps song.
Ryan81
Headlining Clubs

Post by Ryan81 »

Isn't one of the women in the Rhythm Of Love video Matthias' wife? I think I heard it was the one that was just kind of laying there holding a whip. She had a huge rack! If that really is his wife then good job Matthias! That was a good video.

I'm kind of surprised that Believe In Love didn't do better for them. It was right in the middle of the power ballad era and it was indeed a power ballad. It had a good memorable chorus. It was every bit as good as ballads like Love Bites, I'll Be There For You, Don't Close Your Eyes, Don't Know What You Got, and Every Rose Has It's Thorn that were released around the same time. Yet it didn't do near as well as any of those songs. I like it much better than Wind Of Change.
War_in_D
Taking Music Lessons

Post by War_in_D »

Ryan81 wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 10:44 am Isn't one of the women in the Rhythm Of Love video Matthias' wife? I think I heard it was the one that was just kind of laying there holding a whip. She had a huge rack! If that really is his wife then good job Matthias! That was a good video.

I'm kind of surprised that Believe In Love didn't do better for them. It was right in the middle of the power ballad era and it was indeed a power ballad. It had a good memorable chorus. It was every bit as good as ballads like Love Bites, I'll Be There For You, Don't Close Your Eyes, Don't Know What You Got, and Every Rose Has It's Thorn that were released around the same time. Yet it didn't do near as well as any of those songs. I like it much better than Wind Of Change.
The video sucked. Who wanted to see a bunch of Russian boys in 1989? If ever? Babes...the video needed babes to be successful.
Don't Damn Me
Debut Album Goes Gold

Post by Don't Damn Me »

Is that the band that has the highway patrol cop as a mascot, who's always putting bare-chested large breasted women in handcuffs?
Bono Nettencourt
MSX Tour Support Act

Yeah. And he makes them smell gloves.
FOON
Recording Debut Album

Post by FOON »

War_in_D wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 4:33 pm Why did it take four years to release this?
This. That was a lifetime back then. I remember buying it and being incredibly disappointed. That was it for me and Scorps.
Bono Nettencourt
MSX Tour Support Act

They were still touring LAFS when WWL came out, so it really only took 2 years.