The first time you felt old at a concert?

The one that started it all. Spreading gossip and insults since 1998.

Moderator: Metal Sludge

Traxan
Headlining Clubs

The first time you felt old at a concert?

Post by Traxan »

What was the first show you looked around at the crowd and thought, "fuck, I'm the oldest one here?"

For me it was a Live concert at a small New England university around 94. This was before "Throwing Copper" blew up. I'd been a fan since "Mental Jewelry." I was only in my mid-20s but looked at that crowd and felt ancient.
GreatWhiteSnake
Playing a Package Tour in Arenas

Re: The first time you felt old at a concert?

Post by GreatWhiteSnake »

Probably when I took my daughter and her friends to SAP center in San Jose (about 80 mi away) to see Paramore and about 5 other bands of similar ilk. I eventually found a place in the back where I could kind of chill inconspicuously and still keep an eye on my daughter's group...
GWS video of the week Seven Seconds of Shred https://youtu.be/6DAqH3eKqEM?si=N2I9eU92_ovsb69d updated 3/9/24
https://soundcloud.com/crunch-104998557
MattleyCrue
Playing Decent Clubs in a Bus

Post by MattleyCrue »

I’m generally the youngest one at hair metal shows 😝
LAglamrocker wrote:
Walk in Diesel store Melrose with Ashba gear commands respect, not sure you are allowed in with Walmart gear
Turner Coates
Playing First Stage at SludgeFest

Post by Turner Coates »

It was at a Foghat gig, where Lonesome Dave was getting chubby and wearing spandex pants and a tight tee shirt.
I thought he looked ridiculous.

I reckon all songs are folk songs. I ain't never heard no horses singing any.
Mister Freeze
Platinum Artist

Post by Mister Freeze »

I was at a dueling pianos bar in Tempe, Arizona. Total college town. This was around 2008. The crowd was singing along in UNISON to a Sublime song and I remember feeling at least one generation removed. Like... this isn't the crowd that grew up on Motley Crue.
skunklovestiger wrote: A comment like this needs a really useless piece of shit. Well maybe you are used to get fucked by your mother in the basement. It would be better if somebody just kills you useless asshole. Just killl yourself shithead.
GoodJudge

Post by GoodJudge »

June 1997 (I just checked the date), an indie band called Kenickie. One of the singers asked "who's just finished their exams?" and a vast proportion of the crowd cheered, meaning they were 21 at most. I was 27.
IREEKOFAWESUMNES
Signed One Album Deal on Indy Label

Post by IREEKOFAWESUMNES »

Last night at Shadows Fall in NJ

I'm 41 and didn't feel old at all in terms of the crowd; most of the people there were prob 30s and up, but the band were playing their album from 2004 start to finish which in my head came out like MAYBE ten years ago...so, not necessarily that I felt old, but becoming more aware that time is flying and making sure to make the most of every day
Hellsinkey
Signed to a Major Label Multi-Album Deal

Post by Hellsinkey »

GoodJudge wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 10:00 pm June 1997 (I just checked the date), an indie band called Kenickie. One of the singers asked "who's just finished their exams?" and a vast proportion of the crowd cheered, meaning they were 21 at most. I was 27.
Strange to see them mentioned here, but I'm a huge Britpop fan, have both their records.

As for the original question, the only time I've felt old was at a NKOTB show, which was well over 30 years ago. And I wasn't old then. :lol:
TooOldToCare
Playing Shitty Clubs in a Van

Post by TooOldToCare »

When my son was in high school (maybe 2012-2013)—so I would have been 45 or 46—he and I went to see Bullet for My Valentine. I was a fan. He was the only person I could find who was willing to go. Surrounded by 20-something and younger metalheads and Hot Topic clones, I didn't feel out of place, but I felt old.
DonJuanDeMarco
Headlining Clubs

Post by DonJuanDeMarco »

Not at a concert. At a college bar or a dance/night club for sure though!
"You want Don Juan DeMarco, the world's greatest lover, to talk to you? What do you know of great love?"
CrankerBait

Post by CrankerBait »

Two club shows within a month of one another in '97: Foo Fighters and Green Day. I was 25, but most fans seemed to be at least five years younger. For both, I was at the front for the first six or seven songs, but moved back a few rows where it wasn't quite as crowded. I few years earlier, I would have stuck it out for the whole show, but that was then. A few years later I remember going to club shows - Megadeth and Rancid come to mind - and just found a comfortable spot beside the mixing board without bothering to venture into the rowdiness near the front.
aznsquirt

Post by aznsquirt »

You can actually see this in video form, but it was a few years ago when Vio-lence had their first reunion show at the Oakland Metro.

I was towards the back with some friends and I was like fuck this shit, and ran up into the pit before they busted into the first song (Eternal Nightmare).

There's video of it and if you look closely you can see about 20-30 seconds in where I was like "oh god I'm going to snap a knee" and start stumbling out of the pit, lmfao.
greengoblinrulz
Headlining Clubs

Post by greengoblinrulz »

96 Pantera/WZombie tour
ws in really good shape w/buddies who were even better but when mosh pits started, i was WTF.......this is how i tear something!
daveg
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by daveg »

greengoblinrulz wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 4:37 pm 96 Pantera/WZombie tour
ws in really good shape w/buddies who were even better but when mosh pits started, i was WTF.......this is how i tear something!
A Pantera mosh pit is a whole other animal. I was in one when I was about 25...in Great shape..and lasted about 30 seconds.
I'm not sure I'd count that. :D
Nate S Axel

Post by Nate S Axel »

Hellsinkey wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 10:08 pm
GoodJudge wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 10:00 pm June 1997 (I just checked the date), an indie band called Kenickie. One of the singers asked "who's just finished their exams?" and a vast proportion of the crowd cheered, meaning they were 21 at most. I was 27.
Strange to see them mentioned here, but I'm a huge Britpop fan, have both their records.

As for the original question, the only time I've felt old was at a NKOTB show, which was well over 30 years ago. And I wasn't old then. :lol:
When the New Kids started, the oldest member was 18. Today the youngest one is 51. They're still touring and making music! Still time for you to feel even older.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5nzSmIgyUok
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ulJBJYie0l8
https://www.last.fm/user/SundownDevil
LAglamrocker wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2023 10:45 am I can’t believe people actually don’t live in So Cal/ San Diego/Vegas circle ..waste of life
Tenacious_Dio
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by Tenacious_Dio »

Went to a Doobie Brothers show at a small theater, downtown. I kept seeing a bunch of old people walking around. Then I realized that we were going to the same show. And then I saw my reflection in a window. :|
EnuffRatt
Blowing Advance from Record Label

Post by EnuffRatt »

I went to see Olivia Rodrigo the other night. I was the oldest person there by far. I’m 55. I didn’t care though because she was so fucking awesome.
JamesHetfieldsAcneScars
Cockblocked by Poison

Post by JamesHetfieldsAcneScars »

daveg wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 4:47 pm
greengoblinrulz wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 4:37 pm 96 Pantera/WZombie tour
A Pantera mosh pit is a whole other animal. I was in one when I was about 25...in Great shape..and lasted about 30 seconds.
I'm not sure I'd count that. :D
I did the mashed potato in the middle of a Pantera mosh pit once.
zz666
Headlining Clubs

Post by zz666 »

Taking my son to Ghost
Love_Industry

Post by Love_Industry »

When I saw a band on stage that I remember as full of energy 30 year olds in the 80s and now they were approaching 70, visibly aging and barely moving.

Not sure which was first so pick one from say Kiss, Judas Priest or Deep Purple
BernieTaupson

Post by BernieTaupson »

When I got a hickey from Kenickie.
TooOldToCare

Post by TooOldToCare »

BernieTaupson wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 2:28 am When I got a hickey from Kenickie.
But it's like a Hallmark card.
TravisBicklesMohawk
Headlining a Theater Tour

Post by TravisBicklesMohawk »

It has to be a Beastie Boys show. Don't remember the year exactly, but it was sometime in the 90s.

The entire audience seemed to be made up of 16-year old skater punks.

Yes, this was a thing in the 80s too, but I worshipped the BB back then, but this audience just seemed a bit strange and disconnected.

Almost like I had missed an entire generation of fans.

Weird, but I think most of you know what I'm talking about.
The Tao of Pooh
Image Image
Spongie

Post by Spongie »

Can’t say I ever have. The bands I like aren’t a big draw for young people. At least not disproportionately.
Last edited by Spongie on Thu Mar 21, 2024 5:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
keyofgee
Headlining Clubs

Post by keyofgee »

saw John Melloncamp, I dunno, maybe 8 years ago or so...everyone was sitting in folding chairs eating caramel popcorn. I kept thinking, damn ppl, this guy is a legend. It was pitiful and I felt old. most of those ppl were probably my age..
Anthrax442
Cockblocked by Poison

Post by Anthrax442 »

The given scenario of "feeling old because everyone is younger" hasn't really happened for me, or I haven't noticed it anyway.

However, I DID feel old when seeing Aerosmith and Slash back in 2014. That was an OLD crowd, and I felt old just being in it.
MurrayFiend wrote:Shit, deathcurse, you sure know how to make an exit.
kytepunches
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by kytepunches »

I was wearing a 2023 Alice Cooper tour shirt .This young girl came up to me , in her early 20 's and says. It's so cool that he's still playing. That was my grandfathers favorite band.
ParaDime77

Post by ParaDime77 »

Am l reading this thread right? Most of you poster’s were the old heads at a show back in the late 90’s? I feel the OP meant at a concert LATELY. Didn’t know the 70 and over crew was reporting in.
Everyone Is Someone Else's Bitch
Nate S Axel

Post by Nate S Axel »

ParaDime77 wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 4:48 pm Am l reading this thread right? Most of you poster’s were the old heads at a show back in the late 90’s? I feel the OP meant at a concert LATELY. Didn’t know the 70 and over crew was reporting in.
Blame the OP. He said "first time" and "around 94" himself.
https://www.last.fm/user/SundownDevil
LAglamrocker wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2023 10:45 am I can’t believe people actually don’t live in So Cal/ San Diego/Vegas circle ..waste of life
Traxan
Headlining Clubs

Post by Traxan »

ParaDime77 wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 4:48 pm Am l reading this thread right? Most of you poster’s were the old heads at a show back in the late 90’s? I feel the OP meant at a concert LATELY. Didn’t know the 70 and over crew was reporting in.
It can be any time, decade, or age. All that matters is the first time you looked at the crowd and realized you were surrounded by kids.