MARQ TORIEN Says ... "I want a number one top 10 Billboard hit on the rock radio. And that's what my goal is."

The one that started it all. Spreading gossip and insults since 1998.

Moderator: Metal Sludge

MetalSludgeCEO
Playing First Stage at SludgeFest

MARQ TORIEN Says ... "I want a number one top 10 Billboard hit on the rock radio. And that's what my goal is."

Post by MetalSludgeCEO »

This hit my inbox today... some good stuff in here... enjoy!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here are some quotes from the interview:

About the new BulletBoys lineup:
"When you’re playing with other individuals with high musical qualities, then it just brought it to life again for me. It brought both songs to life."

"I’ve been very hurt by people in this business. My heart has been hurt, and I'm a tough motherfucker, but, you know, sometimes you just go, you know, I got a heart too, and I've been in this for a minute."

About the new BulletBoys record:
"And there's just something about this album that I feel that is going to do very, very well for us. I want a number one top 10 Billboard hit on the rock radio. And that's what my goal is."

About Carmine Appice:
"But I think that he's got maybe a little Alzheimer's creeping in because I don't remember any of those things that he's talking about."

About Steven Tyler:
". And I'm kind of like Steven Tyler. I've never left BulletBoys. Steven Tyler never left Aerosmith."

About Robert Trujillo:
"He asked me to do a new project with him. So, we're working on that right now."

> https://www.metal-rules.com/2024/03/18/ ... dio-chart/

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

$ludge
FreddyFender
Headlining Clubs

Re: MARQ TORIEN Says ... "I want a number one top 10 Billboard hit on the rock radio. And that's what my goal is."

Post by FreddyFender »

Yeah, I'm sure the only reason Marq didn't disband Bulletboys (thereby throwing away his only source of income) is that Ira Black told him he couldn't let his fans down. :roll:

And Ira and our manager Jessica (Chase), especially Ira, said, ‘Listen, don’t cancel The Whisky show. I know some of your songs, Marq. I love you. I’m not going to let you cancel this. We’re going to go and do it acoustically.’ So, I was like, ‘Okay, we’ll do it acoustically.’ And I was like, ‘I don’t know if I really want to do that.’He goes, “You have to do it. You can’t let these people down. You never let anyone down.” I said, “Okay, okay, so we’ll do it.” It went well.

In the next couple of days, he said, “Listen, I have a plan. There are so many musicians that would love to play with you. Can we put together a mini supergroup BulletBoys to write a new record and put out a new single?” I was very motivated to push forward. And I was like, “I don’t know if I really want to do that,” And I’m kind of retired. I’m kind of beaten down from trying to go back to the OGs and them just throwing it away. And it really hurt me, the fact that a couple of these individuals in the band, except for my brother, Lonnie Vencent, said some really awful things about me. And I’m not that type of person. I don’t have it in me to say things. And all of it was falsehoods. I mean, it really was. And that really hurt me too because I was just like, “God, I walked back into this thing, and I really wanted something special to happen for us and the fans. And I thought everyone was ready for it, but they weren’t.” And then, after, when it imploded, I was the one that took the heat. And I saw the comments and people that made a lot of comments about me. And what’s ironic is that there are a lot of people who really don’t know me personally. And I do that on purpose because I’ve been very hurt by people in this business. My heart has been hurt and, uh, I’m a, I’m a, you know, I’m a tough motherfucker, but, you know, sometimes you just go, you know, I got a heart too, and I’ve been in this for a minute.
Black Stuff
Doing Package Tours in Theaters

Re: MARQ TORIEN Says ... "I want a number one top 10 Billboard hit on the rock radio. And that's what my goal is."

Post by Black Stuff »

double album? Talk about delusional. Guess you could call it #2?
The power of Sludge compels you.
FreddyFender
Headlining Clubs

Post by FreddyFender »

I'll admit the part about Lonnie living in the trailer park and his dad making them bologna sandwiches moved me.

That's how it was growing up for us, and I think that's the story of most American rock bands from back in the day. There was the occasional Roth, Tom Scholz, etc, but most guys in bands were working class kids.

Nowadays, a lot of the stars grew up middle class or rich.

Or maybe I'm wrong and it's always been like that. Too deep a topic for a Bulletboys thread.
DonJuanDeMarco
Headlining Clubs

Post by DonJuanDeMarco »

Is Marq a little funny? Or is he genuinely that nice? That was a great interview. He sounds truly happy with his life and his bandmates. Good for him still doing it after all these years.

We make fun of all the "scab" bands but WTF do you expect? Companies change personnel all the time. You can't expect 4 or 5 guys in a band to stay together for 40 years. There are guys I couldn't even stand for 40 minutes! :)
"You want Don Juan DeMarco, the world's greatest lover, to talk to you? What do you know of great love?"
MattleyCrue
Playing Decent Clubs in a Bus

Post by MattleyCrue »

😂😂😂😂😂😂😂
LAglamrocker wrote:
Walk in Diesel store Melrose with Ashba gear commands respect, not sure you are allowed in with Walmart gear
MetalSludgeCEO

Post by MetalSludgeCEO »

DonJuanDeMarco wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 6:15 am Is Marq a little funny? Or is he genuinely that nice? That was a great interview. He sounds truly happy with his life and his bandmates. Good for him still doing it after all these years.

We make fun of all the "scab" bands but WTF do you expect? Companies change personnel all the time. You can't expect 4 or 5 guys in a band to stay together for 40 years. There are guys I couldn't even stand for 40 minutes! :)
""""""""""""""Or is he genuinely that nice? """"""""""""""

Marq is a light-switch... I believe there is a "medical term" for this condition... but I won't go there... and yes, it's been discussed previously.

From my own experience, in knowing him for oh... 35+ years... Marq can be the NICEST guy in the room, and 10 minutes later you'd think you just shit in his guitar case.

While super talented, and most will say that... including everyone who has previously worked with him... there are some other details, that make people say "Ummm, no thank you" and they move on.

$tEvil
DrumminAway
Jamming in Parent's Basement

Post by DrumminAway »

MetalSludgeCEO wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 9:09 am
DonJuanDeMarco wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 6:15 am Is Marq a little funny? Or is he genuinely that nice? That was a great interview. He sounds truly happy with his life and his bandmates. Good for him still doing it after all these years.

""""""""""""""Or is he genuinely that nice? """"""""""""""

Marq is a light-switch... I believe there is a "medical term" for this condition... but I won't go there... and yes, it's been discussed previously.

From my own experience, in knowing him for oh... 35+ years... Marq can be the NICEST guy in the room, and 10 minutes later you'd think you just shit in his guitar case.

While super talented, and most will say that... including everyone who has previously worked with him... there are some other details, that make people say "Ummm, no thank you" and they move on.

$tEvil

Definitely comes off in a polar kinda way. Only met him once when he was playing a tiny shithole in Missoula MT and he was nice enough but also going off a mile a minute. I do appreciate how passionate he is but that interview makes him sound like he’s not living in the same universe the rest of us are.
Indy_Rob
Headlining a Theater Tour

Post by Indy_Rob »

Bring back Acid Monkey!!
TheDeadBastard
Headlining Clubs

Post by TheDeadBastard »

Road to Nowhere was a lot better than it had any right to be. Too bad the 10c Billionaire album all but disappeared.
ImageImage
MOON
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by MOON »

My last and only experience with Marq/Bulletboys was around 2008 He was touring with Tracii Gun's solo band. Tracii was headlining. This was at some club that called themselves "The New Ritz".. Normally when shooting a show, i go in a photo pit for 3 songs and get out..There was no photo pit and for Bulletboys.. Hardly anyone in front of stage. Maybe 25 people or so. The rest of the crowd was in the back area... Right before "Smooth Up In Ya". Marq starts bitching at the crowd to come up to the stage or he is not gonna play "The song" (referring to Smooth Up). He looked like he was legitimately pissed. So more of the crowd came forward.. then the crowd starting chanting "Tracii, Tracii, Tracii" cuz they were sick of this clown.. Bulletboys played "the song". but me and some friends that were there thought Marq was an ass. One funny part though.. Once he started his rant.. All the somewhat decent chicks left the main GA area.. He pretty much scared em all away.. They all returned for Tracii's set.. I have never bothered to shoot or go see them again since.
Rocker4Real
Opening Act in Local Bars

Post by Rocker4Real »

It's good to aim high.
MetalSludgeCEO

Post by MetalSludgeCEO »

MOON wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 5:58 am My last and only experience with Marq/Bulletboys was around 2008 He was touring with Tracii Gun's solo band. Tracii was headlining. This was at some club that called themselves "The New Ritz".. Normally when shooting a show, i go in a photo pit for 3 songs and get out..There was no photo pit and for Bulletboys.. Hardly anyone in front of stage. Maybe 25 people or so. The rest of the crowd was in the back area... Right before "Smooth Up In Ya". Marq starts bitching at the crowd to come up to the stage or he is not gonna play "The song" (referring to Smooth Up). He looked like he was legitimately pissed. So more of the crowd came forward.. then the crowd starting chanting "Tracii, Tracii, Tracii" cuz they were sick of this clown.. Bulletboys played "the song". but me and some friends that were there thought Marq was an ass. One funny part though.. Once he started his rant.. All the somewhat decent chicks left the main GA area.. He pretty much scared em all away.. They all returned for Tracii's set.. I have never bothered to shoot or go see them again since.
I believe all of this except one part...

That there were "somewhat decent chicks" there... come on... enough of the exaggerating. :D

$tEvil
MOON
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by MOON »

MetalSludgeCEO wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 7:54 am
MOON wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 5:58 am My last and only experience with Marq/Bulletboys was around 2008 He was touring with Tracii Gun's solo band. Tracii was headlining. This was at some club that called themselves "The New Ritz".. Normally when shooting a show, i go in a photo pit for 3 songs and get out..There was no photo pit and for Bulletboys.. Hardly anyone in front of stage. Maybe 25 people or so. The rest of the crowd was in the back area... Right before "Smooth Up In Ya". Marq starts bitching at the crowd to come up to the stage or he is not gonna play "The song" (referring to Smooth Up). He looked like he was legitimately pissed. So more of the crowd came forward.. then the crowd starting chanting "Tracii, Tracii, Tracii" cuz they were sick of this clown.. Bulletboys played "the song". but me and some friends that were there thought Marq was an ass. One funny part though.. Once he started his rant.. All the somewhat decent chicks left the main GA area.. He pretty much scared em all away.. They all returned for Tracii's set.. I have never bothered to shoot or go see them again since.
I believe all of this except one part...

That there were "somewhat decent chicks" there... come on... enough of the exaggerating. :D

$tEvil

😅😅😅
War_in_D
Taking Music Lessons

Post by War_in_D »

Good thing he clarifies that his number one will also be in the top ten...lol.
Love_Industry
Signed to a Major Label Multi-Album Deal

Post by Love_Industry »

FreddyFender wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 2:35 pm I'll admit the part about Lonnie living in the trailer park and his dad making them bologna sandwiches moved me.

That's how it was growing up for us, and I think that's the story of most American rock bands from back in the day. There was the occasional Roth, Tom Scholz, etc, but most guys in bands were working class kids.

Or maybe I'm wrong and it's always been like that. Too deep a topic for a Bulletboys thread.
Well, some were but tried to hide their background too. GnR's image was that they came from the streets, but they were connected in the industry. Slash was solid middle class and his mom hung out with Bowie and even dated David Geffen at one point, while Adler's step-uncle owned the Roxy Theater where Guns played in the early days and is a RNRHOF inducted producer/songwriter.
Mötley... by now it's well known that Sixx's uncle was President of Capitol Records, but I don't think he talked about that in the 80s either. How and why Vince Neil from Compton could say he was from a middle class family in the TOP tour program is a mystery though.
sicktwistedfreak
Opening for Slaughter

Post by sicktwistedfreak »

I saw them here at a venue called The Pub Fountains in Stafford, TX, and we got the same treatment. About 25 people showed up and the band was 2 hours late due to a delayed flight. He was pissy the entire night and threatened to walk off the stage more than a few times. I have been with bands that had the same crowd level and nowhere near that attitude. I think Marq is super talented, but I don't think he matured past the age of 15 mentally.
Last edited by sicktwistedfreak on Mon Mar 25, 2024 10:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Whether it's his outer glaze or cream-filled insides, King Ding Dong gets his subjects filthy!
Wednesday 13 Fan
Playing Decent Clubs in a Bus

Post by Wednesday 13 Fan »

Love_Industry wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 7:01 am
FreddyFender wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 2:35 pm I'll admit the part about Lonnie living in the trailer park and his dad making them bologna sandwiches moved me.

Well, some were but tried to hide their background too. GnR's image was that they came from the streets, but they were connected in the industry. Slash was solid middle class and his mom hung out with Bowie and even dated David Geffen at one point, while Adler's step-uncle owned the Roxy Theater where Guns played in the early days and is a RNRHOF inducted producer/songwriter.
Mötley... by now it's well known that Sixx's uncle was President of Capitol Records, but I don't think he talked about that in the 80s either. How and why Vince Neil from Compton could say he was from a middle class family in the TOP tour program is a mystery though.
Did you even read Slash's book?

And why is it so hard to believe that someone who lived in Compton couldn't possibly be middle class?