Jellyfish - Bellybutton vs Spilt Milk?

The one that started it all. Spreading gossip and insults since 1998.

Moderator: Metal Sludge

Best Album

Bellybutton
32%
Spilt Milk
68%

Total votes: 25
Darrien
Headlining Clubs

Jellyfish - Bellybutton vs Spilt Milk?

Post by Darrien »

Which is the better album and why?
Favorite song?
Dayman...fighter of the Nightman..
BulletProofPoet
Playing Decent Clubs in a Bus

Re: Jellyfish - Bellybutton vs Spilt Milk?

Post by BulletProofPoet »

Probably in my top 5 bands of all time. Both albums are perfection but Spilt Milk seems to be a little more perfect. Once again, I could list all the songs but have always favored Glutton of Sympathy. And now I love the more powerful, All is Forgiven!!

Having never seen them live is one of my all time disappointments when it comes to never have seen a band.
Fat_Elvis
Cockblocked by Poison

Post by Fat_Elvis »

I voted Bellybutton. Spilt Milk has some great stuff but the over the top production gets to be a bit much for me.

Favorites are "The Man I Used to Be" "That is Why" "I Wanna Stay Home" and "All I Want is Everything."
Hellsinkey
Signed to a Major Label Multi-Album Deal

Post by Hellsinkey »

Bellybutton

Favourites from the band: The Ghost At Number One, The Man I Used To Be, I Wanna Stay Home, Baby's Coming Back
zz666
Headlining Clubs

Post by zz666 »

Spilt Milk is a masterpiece
Sleek
Playing a Package Tour in Arenas

Post by Sleek »

Fat_Elvis wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 9:23 am I voted Bellybutton. Spilt Milk has some great stuff but the over the top production gets to be a bit much for me.
Over the top? Shit, this is how I wished every album sounded.

Spilt Milk for me. The first one is tops, but then the second goes OVER the top and is exquisite. :lol:
ROADHEAD wrote:I've never tasted coffee
HueyRamone wrote:I like Radio Gaga
HueyRamone wrote:QUIT FUCKING WITH MY SETLIST, ASSWIPE!

Van Ailin'
Headlining Clubs

Post by Van Ailin' »

Both are excellent, but Spilt Milk is more consistent and also flows well lyrically from start to finish. And I prefer the sound quality of that one. I do like Jason Falkner's solo albums quite a bit, where he also gets in much more guitar work.
alexleehooker
Buying Cool Stage Clothes

Post by alexleehooker »

1) 'king is half undressed' is a decent somg

2) Jason faulkner is a very underated songwriter

3) overall they're boring ELO revival and not rock nor metal

4) are they related to 'imperial drag'? that was a better band I seem to recall a link
TheDeadBastard
Headlining Clubs

Post by TheDeadBastard »

Bellybutton is a fantastic power pop album, but as stated above Spilt Milk is a god damned masterpiece. I’ve never tired of listening to that album.
ImageImage
Hellsinkey

Post by Hellsinkey »

alexleehooker wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 5:22 am
4) are they related to 'imperial drag'? that was a better band I seem to recall a link
Yes, two from Jellyfish played later in ID.
woblinweebles

Post by woblinweebles »

Bellybutton by a short hair

Favorites: New Mistake, Ignorance is Bliss, and That is Why,
Ozzy Stradlin

Post by Ozzy Stradlin »

alexleehooker wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 5:22 am
are they related to 'imperial drag'? that was a better band I seem to recall a link
Yes - Roger Manning (keys) & Eric Dover (touring guitarist) from Jellyfish formed Imperial Drag.
Van Ailin'
Headlining Clubs

Post by Van Ailin' »

woblinweebles wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 7:05 am Bellybutton by a short hair

So you pick two songs that came AFTER Bellybutton?
woblinweebles

Post by woblinweebles »

Van Ailin' wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 7:56 pm

Yep, I just think Bellybutton is the more consistent album. If I expanded my favorites to my top 10, there would be more from Bellybutton than Spilt Milk.
alexleehooker wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 5:22 am 4) are they related to 'imperial drag'? that was a better band I seem to recall a link
I was kind of disappointed when I got the Imperial Drag album. Some of the demos from that album were leaked out almost a year before the album came out and a lot of the ones I liked didn't make it to the album.
The demos were released on Weed, some file share service, about 10 years later. You can find most/all of them on Youtube and this page has them, too: http://wilfullyobscure.blogspot.com/202 ... s-199.html
Van Ailin'
Headlining Clubs

Post by Van Ailin' »

woblinweebles wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 9:59 am
Van Ailin' wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 7:56 pm

Yep, I just think Bellybutton is the more consistent album. If I expanded my favorites to my top 10, there would be more from Bellybutton than Spilt Milk.
alexleehooker wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 5:22 am 4) are they related to 'imperial drag'? that was a better band I seem to recall a link
I was kind of disappointed when I got the Imperial Drag album. Some of the demos from that album were leaked out almost a year before the album came out and a lot of the ones I liked didn't make it to the album.
The demos were released on Weed, some file share service, about 10 years later. You can find most/all of them on Youtube and this page has them, too: http://wilfullyobscure.blogspot.com/202 ... s-199.html
I have them all. If memory serves, the leak of that stuff came a few years AFTER the Imperial Drag album. But there is some good stuff. Eric Dover continued in that vein with "Sextus," and while it's not quite as good, there are some strong tracks there, too. That stuff gets close to the 80s glam rock sound that spawned this board.
Tommy2Tone84

Post by Tommy2Tone84 »

Fook you! Since you’re making me choose, I have to give Bellybutton the slight edge. As smart and talented as Andy and Roger are, they weren’t smart enough to keep Jason around.
Mister Freeze
Platinum Artist

Post by Mister Freeze »

I always heard the story about Rod Stewart wanting to record "I Wanna Stay Home," but never releasing it.

Apparently, he did record it, although this might be a demo:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z-niR9xjlcY
skunklovestiger wrote: A comment like this needs a really useless piece of shit. Well maybe you are used to get fucked by your mother in the basement. It would be better if somebody just kills you useless asshole. Just killl yourself shithead.
woblinweebles

Post by woblinweebles »

Van Ailin' wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 7:09 pm

I have them all. If memory serves, the leak of that stuff came a few years AFTER the Imperial Drag album. But there is some good stuff. Eric Dover continued in that vein with "Sextus," and while it's not quite as good, there are some strong tracks there, too. That stuff gets close to the 80s glam rock sound that spawned this board.
I definitely got the first batch of demos in the summer of 95 from a huge Jellyfish fan/collector who had some connections.

Mister Freeze wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 7:10 am I always heard the story about Rod Stewart wanting to record "I Wanna Stay Home," but never releasing it.

A musician friend of mine is a big power pop/Jellyfish fan and he ended up doing a short run in Rod's touring band around 15 years ago. My friend asked Rod about it and Rod said the song was a bit too high for his range, so they never released it at the time. A few years later, it got officially released on one of Rod's comps. https://media.rhino.com/press-release/r ... -1971-1998
Darrien
Headlining Clubs

Post by Darrien »

Mister Freeze wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 7:10 am I always heard the story about Rod Stewart wanting to record "I Wanna Stay Home," but never releasing it.

First time hearing this... pretty fucking brutal.
BulletProofPoet

Darrien wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 4:41 pm

Agreed!

Butch Walker did a great cover of the song!
Van Ailin'
Headlining Clubs

Post by Van Ailin' »

woblinweebles wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 9:55 am
Van Ailin' wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 7:09 pm

I definitely got the first batch of demos in the summer of 95 from a huge Jellyfish fan/collector who had some connections.

A musician friend of mine is a big power pop/Jellyfish fan and he ended up doing a short run in Rod's touring band around 15 years ago. My friend asked Rod about it and Rod said the song was a bit too high for his range, so they never released it at the time. A few years later, it got officially released on one of Rod's comps. https://media.rhino.com/press-release/r ... -1971-1998
I have a friend who has worked with Sturmer on a full album project post-Jellyfish. Says that Andy's contributions were remarkable and that he really lived up to his reputation for excellence.
Van Ailin'
Headlining Clubs

Post by Van Ailin' »

Van Ailin'
Headlining Clubs

Post by Van Ailin' »

Mike Portnoy of Dream Theater (and his daughter) plus two members of Jellyfish - sing Jellyfish.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tGzrwTKXc9k
Darrien
Headlining Clubs

Post by Darrien »

BulletProofPoet wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 5:23 pm
Darrien wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 4:41 pm

Agreed!

Butch Walker did a great cover of the song!
I did a quick search for BW covering this song but wasn't able to find anything. Have any links?
RicksPickWrangler
Winning Local Battle of the Bands

Post by RicksPickWrangler »

Van Ailin' wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 9:29 pm Mike Portnoy of Dream Theater (and his daughter) plus two members of Jellyfish - sing Jellyfish.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tGzrwTKXc9k
Impressed with the multi instrument action from Portnoy. His Daughter has a good voice too.
Bonus for a Hamer-file like me is Jason playing a Prototype model.
Chip Z'Hoy
Playing First Stage at SludgeFest

Post by Chip Z'Hoy »

"New Mistake," "The Glutton of Sympathy," and "The Ghost at Number One" is a three-song run that is goddamn astonishing. Unbelievable pop songwriting.

Going with Spilt, boys.
LAglamrocker wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 3:56 pmClub was packed with Metal Edge fans 18-30..no stupid Rush Roll The Bones dipsh*ts
woblinweebles

Post by woblinweebles »

Van Ailin' wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 9:17 pm I have a friend who has worked with Sturmer on a full album project post-Jellyfish. Says that Andy's contributions were remarkable and that he really lived up to his reputation for excellence.
I wish Andy would actually release something. I have kids that like Scooby Doo, so I have heard a lot of the stuff he has done for the various shows/movies. Some of that stuff is more Archies than Jellyfish, but it would nice if some of that stuff was given a full release. This was for a different show, but I would take an album of this type of stuff: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bAwZhHDA0n8
RicksPickWrangler
Winning Local Battle of the Bands

Post by RicksPickWrangler »

woblinweebles wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 1:34 pm
Van Ailin' wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 9:17 pm I have a friend who has worked with Sturmer on a full album project post-Jellyfish. Says that Andy's contributions were remarkable and that he really lived up to his reputation for excellence.
I wish Andy would actually release something. I have kids that like Scooby Doo, so I have heard a lot of the stuff he has done for the various shows/movies. Some of that stuff is more Archies than Jellyfish, but it would nice if some of that stuff was given a full release. This was for a different show, but I would take an album of this type of stuff: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bAwZhHDA0n8
Go Big indeed! Great song even if Andy's voice sounds VERY different. There were other Sturmer songs floating around TY, The Angel Made Me do It, The Beginning Of the End, Holding Out For Something Better, Liquid Casanova, Our Last Goodbye, & The Widowers Song. Don't know the origins but solid stuff.
BulletProofPoet

I was just listening to Andy’s stuff today! I guess I haven’t done a search in a while, I had no idea about that song! Thanks so much for that link!
Van Ailin'
Headlining Clubs

Post by Van Ailin' »

You will like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1qkXW6EGnDQ