Miles Away Song Battle ….

The one that started it all. Spreading gossip and insults since 1998.

Moderator: Metal Sludge

Which band’s song is better .. Tesla vs Winger ?

Tesla - Miles Away
21%
Winger- Miles Away
79%

Total votes: 38
EyeDocOfRock
Playing Decent Clubs in a Bus

Miles Away Song Battle ….

Post by EyeDocOfRock »

Which Band’s song is better ,,

Tesla - Miles Away

Winger - Miles Away
MattleyCrue

Re: Miles Away Song Battle ….

Post by MattleyCrue »

Great thread!

I love both songs but I’m going with Winger.
LAglamrocker wrote:
Walk in Diesel store Melrose with Ashba gear commands respect, not sure you are allowed in with Walmart gear
Wild Obsession
Debut Album Goes Gold

Post by Wild Obsession »

I love Winger, but "Miles Away" is total pap, sounds something Chicago would have released in late 80's.
dmbrocker
Signed to a Major Label Multi-Album Deal
Location: Rockin’ with Amber, Bradie, Laurine, Dokken, Ratt, Motley, Aerosmith, Rush, Poison…

Post by dmbrocker »

Winger (though as far as Winger ballads go I prefer "Headed For a Heartbreak" and "Without the Night" from the debut), but also throw in Fastway's "Miles Away" from 1990's Bad Bad Girls. I love pretty much any of that Lea Hart-era Fastway/True Brits stuff (constant remakes by Di'Anno and others aside), and this one's no different: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GYmT9LXtPO0
LAglamrocker wrote: Trixter is awesome but everyone has seen After The Rain video correct? That’s one of first things I’m going thank God for
skinni
Having Slaughter Open for You

Post by skinni »

winger
DonJuanDeMarco
Headlining Clubs

Post by DonJuanDeMarco »

Wild Obsession wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 5:46 pm I love Winger, but "Miles Away" is total pap, sounds something Chicago would have released in late 80's.
I think it's the only song of theirs that Kip did not write or co-write. Paul Taylor (their keyboardist) wrote it. It's possible he tried to shop it around and Winger ended up recording it.

Ironically he ended up in Steve Perry's solo band after Winger but the album they did (For the Love of Strange Medicine) pretty much sucked. Steve Perry would've sounded good singing Miles Away but then again, Steve Perry would've sounded good singing anything!
"You want Don Juan DeMarco, the world's greatest lover, to talk to you? What do you know of great love?"
Tommy2Tone84

Post by Tommy2Tone84 »

Winger by a landslide. For a C List band they had three killer albums with great songs and some of the best ballads. They were also hands down (to borrow a saying from Jani Lane) one of the best live bands of the genre.
aznsquirt

Post by aznsquirt »

Winger by... Miles.

But the best version of Miles Away is "Without The Night".
DonJuanDeMarco wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 9:56 am
Wild Obsession wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 5:46 pm I love Winger, but "Miles Away" is total pap, sounds something Chicago would have released in late 80's.
I think it's the only song of theirs that Kip did not write or co-write. Paul Taylor (their keyboardist) wrote it. It's possible he tried to shop it around and Winger ended up recording it.
This is exactly what happened. Paul wrote it before he had anything to do with Winger, and IIRC was demo'd for their first album. Also IIRC Paul offered it to at least Eric Martin who turned it down, and probably others.

In the meantime, Kip wrote "Without the Night" which was basically him riffing off of "Miles Away". Paul didn't have anything to do with the writing of that song directly, but was given writing credits on it anyway.

And then they still had it in the vault when the second album rolled around and they put it on.
SW
Playing Shitty Clubs in a Van

Post by SW »

Hanoi Rocks - Million Miles Away
Bono Nettencourt
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by Bono Nettencourt »

SW wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 9:01 pm Plimsouls - A Million Miles Away
FTFY
ijwthstd wrote: obviously you take this way too seriously and were deeply affected by what transpired in the early 1990's and hopefully you are discussing these issues with a therapist in addition to other fans on music message boards.
Hellsinkey

Post by Hellsinkey »

dmbrocker wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 6:18 pm Winger (though as far as Winger ballads go I prefer "Headed For a Heartbreak" and "Without the Night" from the debut)
Without the Night should have been a single.
GoodJudge

Post by GoodJudge »

SW wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 9:01 pm Hanoi Rocks - Million Miles Away
That or The Wildhearts - Miles Away Girl
dmbrocker
Location: Rockin’ with Amber, Bradie, Laurine, Dokken, Ratt, Motley, Aerosmith, Rush, Poison…

Post by dmbrocker »

Hellsinkey wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 1:42 am
dmbrocker wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 6:18 pm Winger (though as far as Winger ballads go I prefer "Headed For a Heartbreak" and "Without the Night" from the debut)
Without the Night should have been a single.
This has been discussed here before, but I wholeheartedly agree!
LAglamrocker wrote: Trixter is awesome but everyone has seen After The Rain video correct? That’s one of first things I’m going thank God for
Nobodyspecial
Winning Local Battle of the Bands

Post by Nobodyspecial »

I'll go off the board on this one and pick MASS - Miles away

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nMy3o0pFknk
WCiezak
Passing Out Band Flyers

Post by WCiezak »

How about Miles Away from Fastway? Awesome song. Lea Hart was great. Best version was probably the one with Dennis Stratton on vocals from the 1994 English Steel album. Has a bit better mastering than the 1991 album. The Fastway version is awesome too. Too bad Lea Hart never became well-known as he was a really damn good writer/singer/guitarist. If he produced those albums, he was also quite good at that too.
Zabooka

Post by Zabooka »

Many miles away
Something crawls from the slime
At the bottom of a dark
Scottish lake