Bruce Dickinson slams U2: "I've got no interest in paying $1,200 to see U2"

The one that started it all. Spreading gossip and insults since 1998.

Moderator: Metal Sludge

SexxAtraxxion
Cockblocked by Poison

Bruce Dickinson slams U2: "I've got no interest in paying $1,200 to see U2"

Post by SexxAtraxxion »

https://consequence.net/2024/03/bruce-d ... et-prices/
As the seemingly age-old debate about concert ticket prices rages on, Iron Maiden frontman Bruce Dickinson has now offered up his two cents on the matter, as well as on other facets of the music industry.

Dickinson shared his opinions in a new interview with Mexico’s ATMósferas Magazine, and he didn’t hold back when asked about the potential negative impact of gauged ticket prices. Dickinson cited one particularly high profile live series — U2’s residency at The Sphere in Las Vegas — as the extreme example.

“If you wanna go and see the U2 show, I think it was 1,200 dollars per seat in the sphere,” said Dickinson [as transcribed by Blabbermouth]. “I’ve got no interest in paying 1,200 dollars to go and see U2 in the sphere — none. A hundred bucks, maybe. But for me, what’s important is to try and keep, on the one hand, the right type of tickets at the right price.”

Interestingly, Dickinson suggests that the seats in front of the stage — “which everybody says should be the most expensive tickets” — should actually be “the most reasonably priced tickets, ’cause the people who are gonna go there to the front of the stage are gonna be people who are real fans, people who are kids, people who can’t afford the crazy money, but they are the people that need to be down the front; they’re the people that are gonna keep this music alive.”

“And then you get the people that they might be fans,” the metal singer continued, “but they wanna bring their wife and they don’t wanna get too hot and sweaty and all the rest of it. So, there’s some seats at the top or something else like that, what they’re gonna pick, and those get priced differently.”

It’s worth pointing out that tickets to Dickinson’s upcoming solo tour and tickets to Iron Maiden’s 2024 concerts follow the standard arena venue model of $50+ ranging to $200+, the closer to the stage the pricier.

“The promoters have somehow gotta make their money back,” concluded Dickinson. “So, it’s a delicate balance, but in general, ticket prices have gone through the roof. And some of the ticket prices that people pay, well, some of the prices people pay, for me, it’s insane. I would never pay that price, but then again, I’m probably not a fan of that particular artist. People who are, maybe they think it’s worth it. I mean, certainly with my shows, we’ve always tried to keep the ticket prices within the normal, normal boundaries. And the same with Maiden.”
My music library at last.fm:
https://www.last.fm/user/JonathanHalen
LAglamrocker
Playing First Stage at SludgeFest

Re: Bruce Dickinson slams U2: "I've got no interest in paying $1,200 to see U2"

Post by LAglamrocker »

Iron Maiden/Bret Michaels at The Sphere residency isn’t happening now?
Jani Lane and Bret Michaels should form a band called "Nelson II"
HueyRamone

Post by HueyRamone »

Right. I'm sure Bruce caps Maiden tix at $100, and makes sure only the diehard "kids" get the front row seats.
I dont know about the upcoming Maiden tour, but i've seen tix as high as any other in-demand band in the past.

What a dickhead.
Don't Damn Me wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2023 7:21 pm Dummy, are you aware that hydroxy-chloroqin and Ivermectin have since been proven effective?
Psychobolia.com
Playing a Package Tour in Arenas
Location: Paris, France, land of sleaze and cheese, wine and whine

Post by Psychobolia.com »

Bruce is a trve cvnt!

He just did a in-store record signing event here in Paris, it was made clear in the announcement that he would only be signing the "Deluxe" version of his new album, not the standard version that his less fortunate fans could only afford. (of course, you could probably bring one or two other items of your own, but you had to pre-purchase the deluxe version of the new album to get on the signing list).
Nate S Axel
Playing Decent Clubs in a Bus

Post by Nate S Axel »

Bruce just has to stop being poor.
https://www.last.fm/user/SundownDevil
LAglamrocker wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2023 10:45 am I can’t believe people actually don’t live in So Cal/ San Diego/Vegas circle ..waste of life
LAglamrocker

Post by LAglamrocker »

Wasn’t price for U2 350$ pit and top150$..seems fine for show..guess Bruce is to stupid to buy tickets..waits for scalpers
Bruce doesn’t have anger when he fly's plane with First Class seats sold 😂 he should only fly planes with economy pricing

His new wife doesn’t look expensive at all..she orders from Jack In The Box dollar menu
FreddyFender
Headlining Clubs

Post by FreddyFender »

Iron Maiden are just as depressingly boring as U2.
BernieTaupson

Post by BernieTaupson »

I highly doubt all the U2 Sphere tickets were $1200. They did 40 shows and that place holds 17,000 people. No way were they all $1200.
Wednesday 13 Fan

Post by Wednesday 13 Fan »

Hey, it's a heavy metal singer, he's bitching about high ticket prices. His band tries to keep their ticket prices at a "reasonable" level. Let's all shit on him for it. 🤣🤣🤣
Wednesday 13 Fan

FreddyFender wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 1:28 pm Iron Maiden are just as depressingly boring as U2.
Good, one less person that will buy tickets, because Maiden always packs the house. Good seats go fast!
alleyrulez
Platinum Artist

Post by alleyrulez »

Wednesday 13 Fan wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 2:41 pm Hey, it's a heavy metal singer, he's bitching about high ticket prices. His band tries to keep their ticket prices at a "reasonable" level. Let's all shit on him for it. 🤣🤣🤣
yeah, I'm not understanding the hate here, either.
EyeDocOfRock

Post by EyeDocOfRock »

I wouldn’t pay 12 cents to see U2 !!!!!!
Chip Z'Hoy

Post by Chip Z'Hoy »

For $1200, I better get edged by The Edge.
LAglamrocker wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 3:56 pmClub was packed with Metal Edge fans 18-30..no stupid Rush Roll The Bones dipsh*ts
HueyRamone

Post by HueyRamone »

Wednesday 13 Fan wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 2:41 pm Hey, it's a heavy metal singer, he's bitching about high ticket prices. His band tries to keep their ticket prices at a "reasonable" level. Let's all shit on him for it. 🤣🤣🤣
Do they, though?

I think they, like all bands, go to Live nation, work out the best deal they can with them, get it in writing, and then Live Nation/Ticketmaster set out to get the money to support that deal.

It's naive that you think these 60 year old multimillionaire heads of a large entertainment corporation of Maiden, Inc (or whatever it is called) operate under different rules to other businesses, and leave money on the table to "be cool to the kids"

If prices are lower than usual, it's because they did a cost/benefit analysis and saw they could play larger places for less per head, and come out ahead, with goodwill among fans being a nice side effect.
Don't Damn Me wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2023 7:21 pm Dummy, are you aware that hydroxy-chloroqin and Ivermectin have since been proven effective?
Mister Freeze
Platinum Artist

Post by Mister Freeze »

The list price on U2 tickets were $200-500 before the scalpers got to them.
skunklovestiger wrote: A comment like this needs a really useless piece of shit. Well maybe you are used to get fucked by your mother in the basement. It would be better if somebody just kills you useless asshole. Just killl yourself shithead.
jens

Post by jens »

Wouldn't go to a U2 show if it was free, but somehow 1200 bucks to see them still sounds better than $100 for Bruce Bruce on his booktour. Yapping about fencing for two hours, fuck that shit.
aznsquirt

Post by aznsquirt »

Mister Freeze wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:32 pm The list price on U2 tickets were $200-500 before the scalpers got to them.
This, he totally pulled that number out of his ass.

I saw Mr. Bungle at Slim's in like 1998 or 1999, for probably like $15. While we were standing in line (it was sold out) some guy walked up with a girl and flashed $400 to anyone in line for two tickets which someone snap-sold on.

I guess I should tell people how outrageous Mr. Bungle's prices are.

It's like the person who complains about gas prices and then quotes the price at the most expensive gas station in town that's always empty.

Or the person who complains about how "Eggs are $9!!!!!!!" and they're talking about the 18-pack of the premium, organic yada yada brand when there's a dozen eggs for $4 sitting next to it.
Tommy2Tone84
Signed to a Major Label Multi-Album Deal

Post by Tommy2Tone84 »

I’d pay $1200 to go see U2. It’d be a better show than the time I saw scab Eagles for $100 in the late 90s.

Bruce really is an elitist tw@t. Maybe he deserved that egging from the Osbourne’s
AlexVonHaig

Post by AlexVonHaig »

I don't know the real dollar amounts in question here but I can't imagine a scenario where I would willingly go to a U2 show. I went once, back in the early 90s and it was because of a chick. To paraphrase Queen, "the things we do to fuck"
veritas
Cockblocked by Poison

Post by veritas »

HueyRamone wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 4:44 pm
Do they, though?

I think they, like all bands, go to Live nation, work out the best deal they can with them, get it in writing, and then Live Nation/Ticketmaster set out to get the money to support that deal.

It's naive that you think these 60 year old multimillionaire heads of a large entertainment corporation of Maiden, Inc (or whatever it is called) operate under different rules to other businesses, and leave money on the table to "be cool to the kids"

If prices are lower than usual, it's because they did a cost/benefit analysis and saw they could play larger places for less per head, and come out ahead, with goodwill among fans being a nice side effect.
I honestly don't know for sure, but I THINK certain artists can negotiate certain caps or limits with Live Nation, in terms of pricing and even things like platinum and gold circle stuff. The exchange would simply be they get a lower guarantee or prepaid amount from Live Nation? I THINK the Cure recently was able to pushback on prices and certain things, and I think Bruce USED to do that (but they bought into dynamic pricing recently and got tons of shit for it.)

Bruce is undeniably a total cunt, BUT it is true that Maiden historically did tend to have lower ticket prices than other acts, especially in recent years, and tend not to do all the cheesy meat and greet, gold circle and other things to extra maximum dollars. Rod Smallwood (who is also a marketing blowhard, I know) always claimed Maiden controlled ticket prices.

And what Bruce said about wanting true fans in the front is true and correct - as far as I know, they never jacked up GA prices or put in some golden circle bullshit from the front of the stage?
Blumpkin King
Headlining Clubs

Post by Blumpkin King »

The tickets for U2 ranged from $150 top deck to $500 lower level. Floor were 267.

I currently see Maiden tickets as high as $159 for the Forum show.

The U2 tickets were expensive, but it's in a venue like no other in a city that is expensive for these exclusive shows.

Iron Maiden also probably makes 10X as much money per show on merch, which may allow them to keep their ticket at a lower price.
Wednesday 13 Fan

HueyRamone wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 4:44 pm
Do they, though?

Yeah, they do...they're somewhat known for it.
thechefs2003
Forming a Band

Post by thechefs2003 »

Come on Bruce, you mean to tell me you have to pay for tickets to shows? You're Bruce freaking Dickinson, have your people make some calls and I'm sure you'll be put on the guest list....
LAglamrocker

Post by LAglamrocker »

VIP tickets only 461$ before charges in San Diego LOL!
Bruce Tattooed Millionaire ! LOL
Run to the MONEY!