Danny Lilker Speaks out: "ANTHRAX reunion isn’t permanent. I’m just helping out my buddies with a tour.”

The one that started it all. Spreading gossip and insults since 1998.

Moderator: Metal Sludge

vernomatic
Lugging equipment around in parent's car

Danny Lilker Speaks out: "ANTHRAX reunion isn’t permanent. I’m just helping out my buddies with a tour.”

Post by vernomatic »

https://youtu.be/vu93VXT2I9g

ANTHRAX has announced that due to personal reasons, bassist Frank Bello will not be able to accompany the I band on it’s upcoming South American tour, set to kick off April 13 at MXMF The Metal Fest in Mexico City. Filling in on those dates, as well as two U.S. festival shows in May, will be ANTHRAX founding member and original bassist Dan Lilker, marking his first appearance with the band in 40 years. Lilker, who co-wrote and played on ANTHRAX's debut album "Fistful Of Metal", was also a member of STORMTROOPERS OF DEATH with Charlie Benante and Scott Ian.

In this exclusive interview with Metal Mayhem ROC, Lilker shares for the first time exactly how long has this ANTHRAX "REUNION" been in the works, and how he was contacted about possibly filling in for Frankie Bello. Danny shares his excitement for playing with Joey Belladonna and John Donais for the first time along with learning the newer ANTHRAX material. Danny mentions that this will be the first time playing live some of the material he helped write in the early 80s. There are set list teases, great personal reflections on his time in ANTRAX, NUCLEAR ASSAULT and S.O.D., as well as extensive commentary on the political correctness of Speak English Or Die back in the 80's. Great insight from one of Heavy Metals true “down to earth” Metal Veterans.

00:00 OPEN
00:10 How long has this "REUNION" been in the works
01:00 Reason behind Frank Bello unable to tour
01:40 How was Danny contacted about possibly filling in for Frankie
03:50 Danny shares his excitement for playing with Joey Belladonna and John Donais for the first time
04:30 Learning the newer material with the help of John Donais and playing some of the material he helped write for the first time.
05:10 Set list surprises and teases
05:50 His current relationship with Scott and Charlie and recently celebrating Scott’s 60th Birthday in California
07:28 Long term plans for this unit and thoughts on newer ANTHRAX material he is learning for the tour
09:30 Set list surprises and teases (pt 2)
11:34 Danny's entry as 5th "BIG 4" entry
12:18 Dannys Bass tone secrets on Fistful Of Metal and S.O.D.' Speak English Or Die album
13:55 Commentary on a crossover side project called EXTRA HOT SAUCE where he played drums
15:39 Great commentary and reflections on his career- ANTRAX, NUCLEAR ASSAULT , S.O.D. ALSO extensive commentary on the political correctness of Speak English Or Die (then & now)

METAL MAYHEM ROC SOCIALS:
https://metalmayhemroc.com/
https://www.youtube.com/@metalmayhemroc1851
https://www.facebook.com/groups/metalmayhemroc
https://www.instagram.com/metalmayhemroc/
https://twitter.com/MetalmayhemR
https://metaldevastationradio.com/
http://pantheonpodcasts.com/
aznsquirt
Playing Decent Clubs in a Bus

Re: Danny Lilker Speaks out: "ANTHRAX reunion isn’t permanent. I’m just helping out my buddies with a tour.”

Post by aznsquirt »

Thanks for posting, I opened it just to see if he'd (correctly) pick Exodus as his "Big 5" pick, but ended up watching most of it.
Tymaster
Signed to a Major Label Multi-Album Deal

Re: Danny Lilker Speaks out: "ANTHRAX reunion isn’t permanent. I’m just helping out my buddies with a tour.”

Post by Tymaster »

I'm not buying the peaceful easy "personal reasons" blah, blah, blah. Frankie is a notorious hot-head. I wonder if he told Charlie that at this point, every Pantera show is costing Anthrax time and time = money. Of course, Charlie probably makes more per Pantera gig than he does entire Anthrax tours, but Frankie, Joey, and Donais will have to go back to paving parking lots or something if Anthrax keep taking entire years off.
LouDoo wrote:Neon has to be the most active poster who actually contributes the least, despite all the threads he starts. He has no redeeming value. He's completely useless.
vernomatic
Lugging equipment around in parent's car

Post by vernomatic »

Tymaster wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 3:51 pm I'm not buying the peaceful easy "personal reasons" blah, blah, blah. Frankie is a notorious hot-head. I wonder if he told Charlie that at this point, every Pantera show is costing Anthrax time and time = money. Of course, Charlie probably makes more per Pantera gig than he does entire Anthrax tours, but Frankie, Joey, and Donais will have to go back to paving parking lots or something if Anthrax keep taking entire years off.
I totally agree w the frankie take. And how is charlie ever gonna be able to go back to the size of shows and tours in ANTHRAX after this "PANTERA" run.
Anthrax442
Cockblocked by Poison

Post by Anthrax442 »

Tymaster wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 3:51 pm I'm not buying the peaceful easy "personal reasons" blah, blah, blah. Frankie is a notorious hot-head. I wonder if he told Charlie that at this point, every Pantera show is costing Anthrax time and time = money. Of course, Charlie probably makes more per Pantera gig than he does entire Anthrax tours, but Frankie, Joey, and Donais will have to go back to paving parking lots or something if Anthrax keep taking entire years off.
Yeah, I don't know what to make of it. I was thinking about it the other day, and Frankie is the only one that doesn't really have anything going on outside of Anthrax at this point, since Altitudes and Attitude seemingly ended with Ellefson's issues. Charlie has Pantera, Scott has Mr. Bungle for as long as Patton feels like doing it, Joey's got Beyond Frontiers, which seems to be doing really well for a cover act, and Jon has both side projects and seems like there's always the possibility of Shadows Fall getting back together for a few shows.

I hope that it's nothing and Frankie just does have some personal stuff to deal with (seems like maybe can't leave the country right now, but would be okay by the Winter European tour.) But it wouldn't be the first time he was out of the band temporarily.
MurrayFiend wrote:Shit, deathcurse, you sure know how to make an exit.
mrspeedgene
Headlining Clubs

Post by mrspeedgene »

Does it really matter who is playing bass in anthrax??
They laughed at their gods
And fought them in vain
So he turned his
back on them
And left them in pain
Whatever Happened To…
Headlining Clubs

Post by Whatever Happened To… »

mrspeedgene wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 4:18 am Does it really matter who is playing bass in anthrax??
It was on the news here in the UK today, they even played short clips of Nuclear Assault and SOD.
HottKarl777

Post by HottKarl777 »

You guys have to understand that Frankie has PTSD from waking up to the hot spray of poop on his back. That isn't something you easily shake off.
Psychobolia.com
Playing a Package Tour in Arenas
Location: Paris, France, land of sleaze and cheese, wine and whine

Post by Psychobolia.com »

HottKarl777 wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 5:38 am You guys have to understand that Frankie has PTSD from waking up to the hot spray of poop on his back. That isn't something you easily shake off.
Was it a hot carl?!

Am I the only one on this forum that has witnessed the mighty Danthrax?! Saw them at Hellfest in 2007 (I think).
Anthrax442
Cockblocked by Poison

Post by Anthrax442 »

Psychobolia.com wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 10:48 am
HottKarl777 wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 5:38 am You guys have to understand that Frankie has PTSD from waking up to the hot spray of poop on his back. That isn't something you easily shake off.
Was it a hot carl?!

Am I the only one on this forum that has witnessed the mighty Danthrax?! Saw them at Hellfest in 2007 (I think).
Probably. They played the Double Door in Chicago before I moved here. I think their only other US date was opening for Iron Maiden for two shows in Los Angeles and then it was off to the festival circuit. I know there was some sort of Red Bull Skiing event in New York they did with Public Enemy, but I don't remember if that was the full band or not.
Bob Sacamano
Headlining Clubs

Post by Bob Sacamano »

Was it a hot carl?!

I saw the first ever performance of Danthrax. May 28, 2008 at the double door in Chicago.
"I don't have any beliefs or allegiances. I don't believe in this country, I don't believe in religion, or a god, and I don't believe in all these man-made institutional ideas"

-- George Carlin
EzyRider
Doing Package Tours in Theaters

Post by EzyRider »

Danny Lilker seems like the ultimate real deal metal dude, horns up for that guy.

Do you think he gets shafted on pay, like he brings a sleeping bag and they pay him in Snickers for the tour??
It's good to be bad
It's the best time you'll ever have
What the hell is this ultra sad
Pray for your cool and work on that ass!
FreddyFender
Headlining Clubs

Post by FreddyFender »

If Anthrax really wanted/needed to get out and earn while Charlie did Pantera, I could see them doing a fill in for Charlie the way Exodus did when Holt was in Slayer - they've toured without Charlie before.

I think Frank is sitting out these dates for the opposite reason - outside of these shows, Anthrax doesn't do anything until this fall. Frank probably doesn't want to get off the couch or whatever he's doing for a few weeks in South America.
Anthrax442
Cockblocked by Poison

Post by Anthrax442 »

FreddyFender wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 10:35 pm If Anthrax really wanted/needed to get out and earn while Charlie did Pantera, I could see them doing a fill in for Charlie the way Exodus did when Holt was in Slayer - they've toured without Charlie before.

I think Frank is sitting out these dates for the opposite reason - outside of these shows, Anthrax doesn't do anything until this fall. Frank probably doesn't want to get off the couch or whatever he's doing for a few weeks in South America.
I think the only thing I'm annoyed by is the very real possibility that the new album is done, and they're holding it until the Metallica/Pantera tour is over.

Joey recorded vocals around Christmas, and usually he's the last one in, which means there's a good chance that Jay had everything mixed and done in January. And definitely don't see them playing anything new while Frank isn't around.
Psychobolia.com

Bob Sacamano wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 2:06 pm
Was it a hot carl?!

I saw the first ever performance of Danthrax. May 28, 2008 at the double door in Chicago.
What were your impressions? I thought he did a damn good job at Hellfest; it was a festival sound system, so his voice wasn't easy to assess, but it definitely sounded good in the context of an outdoor festival.
Last edited by Psychobolia.com on Tue Apr 02, 2024 8:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mr. Snuffy
Recording Your Demo

Post by Mr. Snuffy »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ucfu9D8So_k

This band is about to look a bit different this summer.
Bob Sacamano
Headlining Clubs

Post by Bob Sacamano »

Psychobolia.com wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 6:10 am
Bob Sacamano wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 2:06 pm

Was it a hot carl?!

What were your impressions? I thought he did a damn good job at Hellfest; it was a festival sound system, so his voice wasn't easy to assess, but it definitely sounded good in the context of an outdoor festival.

I left thinking it was decent. It was the guys first show with the band, so I wasn't expecting perfection. He did fine with both the John and the Joey material.
"I don't have any beliefs or allegiances. I don't believe in this country, I don't believe in religion, or a god, and I don't believe in all these man-made institutional ideas"

-- George Carlin
Tymaster
Signed to a Major Label Multi-Album Deal

Post by Tymaster »

Anthrax442 wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 5:03 pm
Yeah, I don't know what to make of it. I was thinking about it the other day, and Frankie is the only one that doesn't really have anything going on outside of Anthrax at this point, since Altitudes and Attitude seemingly ended with Ellefson's issues. Charlie has Pantera, Scott has Mr. Bungle for as long as Patton feels like doing it, Joey's got Beyond Frontiers, which seems to be doing really well for a cover act, and Jon has both side projects and seems like there's always the possibility of Shadows Fall getting back together for a few shows.

I hope that it's nothing and Frankie just does have some personal stuff to deal with (seems like maybe can't leave the country right now, but would be okay by the Winter European tour.) But it wouldn't be the first time he was out of the band temporarily.
Wait, Frankie can't leave the country!?
LouDoo wrote:Neon has to be the most active poster who actually contributes the least, despite all the threads he starts. He has no redeeming value. He's completely useless.
Bob Sacamano
Headlining Clubs

Post by Bob Sacamano »

Tymaster wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2024 12:51 pm
Anthrax442 wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 5:03 pm

I don’t think that has anything to do with it, else he would have played the two United States shows.

-- George Carlin
Mr. Snuffy
Recording Your Demo

Post by Mr. Snuffy »

He can. He will be in Europe this summer
Anthrax442
Cockblocked by Poison

Post by Anthrax442 »

Tymaster wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2024 12:51 pm
Just ignore that. I forgot there were two US dates in there that were being covered, so I thought it seemed like he couldn't travel temporarily, like when Charlie had to get subbed out a while back, and they blamed it on recovery from Carpal Tunnel. So, unless he can't leave New York State for some reason, that's not it.
Psychobolia.com

David Ellefson is also helping his buddies out on a South American tour:

https://blabbermouth.net/news/watch-ex- ... first-time
HottKarl777

Post by HottKarl777 »

EzyRider wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 6:36 pm Danny Lilker seems like the ultimate real deal metal dude, horns up for that guy.

Do you think he gets shafted on pay, like he brings a sleeping bag and they pay him in Snickers for the tour??

Does he get shafted on pay? He's dealing with the mega jew. Ask John Bush or Dan Spitz what it's been like trying to get money owed to them out of $cott.
Anthrax442
Cockblocked by Poison

Post by Anthrax442 »

Among the Living
Caught in a Mosh
Antisocial (Trust cover)
Madhouse
Metal Thrashing Mad
Efilnikufesin (N.F.L.)
Medusa
In the End
Deathrider (First time live since 2014)
I Am the Law
Got the Time
Indians

Pretty standard greatest hits festival setlist, but a third of it is from the first two albums, which seems appropriate for having Danny with them. I love Medusa, but I wonder if the shortened version of Armed and Dangerous would have worked better there.
GoodJudge

Post by GoodJudge »

Ham Stroker's Ejacula wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 4:44 am First song, first show:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bRd5RRN ... annel=Joss
I'll wait for a video where the camera is still for more than a third of a second. Do not watch if you're epileptic.