Skid Row Rehearsal Video from 1991

The one that started it all. Spreading gossip and insults since 1998.

Moderator: Metal Sludge

Love_Industry
Signed to a Major Label Multi-Album Deal

Re: Skid Row Rehearsal Video from 1991

Post by Love_Industry »

Bair Hand wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 9:25 am
Love_Industry wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 9:13 am And how is STTG not seen as a bomb?
Because it was fucking great.
Well, it didn't outsell Adrenalize, Balance or Keep the Faith, all follow-ups to huge albums that have been described as "bombs" here at one point or another.
LurkingAtWork
Recording Your Demo

Re: Skid Row Rehearsal Video from 1991

Post by LurkingAtWork »

Ryan81 wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 12:49 pm I gained a lot of respect for Skid Row because of Slave To The Grind. Out of all the bands at that time they could have cashed in HUGE if they put out a pop-metal album with wimpy ballads. Instead they put out something much heavier than I think anybody expected. That absolutely guaranteed that it wasn't going to sell as well which would've guaranteed they made less money, but they did it anyway. That is pretty cool.

Every single other band, except the great Judas Priest, had been on a path of releasing weaker and weaker albums. But with what Priest did with Painkiller after they had some publicity from the trial and what Skid Row did after the huge success of their debut those two bands will always have big respect from me (which I know is a huge thing for them).

Or perhaps maybe the Skids were just incapable of writing a commercial hit album at that point, but I doubt it. They could've done the lame Bon Jovi thing and brought in writers and the audience wouldn't have cared. I'd imagine Jon probably suggested this to them a time or two. They really were in a position to be nearly as big as Bon Jovi, but instead they put out a pretty fuckin' heavy album with a number of really solid and heavy tunes.
I agree with all of this. I love that they kept getting heavier.