Falling out of love with music?

The one that started it all. Spreading gossip and insults since 1998.

Moderator: Metal Sludge

HueyRamone
Playing First Stage at SludgeFest

Re: Falling out of love with music?

Post by HueyRamone »

Yes.

I listen to youtubes and audiobooks all the time, over music. I still have to listen to the new Priest album, and the fact that it's avail for free at our fingertips at any time and I still havent given it a spin says volumes.

Luckily i have my bands, or I probably wouldnt play guitar anymore. Learning new songs and solos is fun and challenging, and keeps me going, but I never think to myself, "Hmm, lets learn a Megadeth song for fun today..." What would be the point if i'm not going to perform it?

Im glad to see others on here admitting it as well. Obviously Sludgers aee gonna be more into music than the average person,, but diminishment of music love is a common occurrence as we age.

Unlike VVV, i'm taking up lots of new hobbies. Mountain biking, hiking, slacklining, working out etc. Anything that lets me avoid interacting with others.
Don't Damn Me wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2023 7:21 pm Dummy, are you aware that hydroxy-chloroqin and Ivermectin have since been proven effective?
GreatWhiteSnake
Playing a Package Tour in Arenas

Post by GreatWhiteSnake »

VinnieVincentsVag wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 8:04 am
GreatWhiteSnake wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 7:33 am I'm feeling somewhat responsible. The timing seems to coincide with when you first heard my FilthySnake riff...
Nah.
It was before then.
I feel bad I haven’t done anything with it.
KeyofG also sent me some lyrics that I haven’t done anything with either.
Sorry guys.
Suffering from bad trigger finger on my fret hand (ring finger), so I physically can’t even play guitar at the moment.
Thats been 2 months now.
Finally have a Dr appointment on Monday.
Had it on my right hand middle finger decades ago and had surgery.
Hopefully a cortisone shot will do the trick.
I’m just burnt out.
Guitar has been my life for 41 yrs.
Passion is just gone now.
The worst thing is, I don’t have any hobbies to take it’s place.
No worries. Take care of yourself bro...
GWS video of the week Seven Seconds of Shred https://youtu.be/6DAqH3eKqEM?si=N2I9eU92_ovsb69d updated 3/9/24
https://soundcloud.com/crunch-104998557
DonJuanDeMarco
Headlining Clubs

Post by DonJuanDeMarco »

VinnieVincentsVag wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 12:25 pm Anyone else having this issue?
Can’t find any new stuff I really like.
Tired of the old stuff I listen to.
Rarely listen to music anymore.
Haven’t picked up an instrument in months.
What do you like? I'm sure people can recommend some other artists to check out.

Or maybe just give a new artist a shot.

I go through the same thing with movies too. If I'm too familiar with it, my brain tunes out. So I watch or listen something "new". It sounds simple but it works.

As for not picking up an instrument...that's different. I have that same problem too. Sometimes I'm just not inspired.

We are probably just fucking bored, man! Go to a place you've never been and listen to an album you've never listened to. It helps keep the dementia away.
"You want Don Juan DeMarco, the world's greatest lover, to talk to you? What do you know of great love?"
Ryan81
Headlining Clubs

Post by Ryan81 »

El Vampiro Blanco wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 7:53 am
Love_Industry wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 4:34 am
El Vampiro Blanco wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 3:01 am
Same here, discovering old stuff I never got around listening to.
Discovered the 70's Heart albums recently....
Any good? Where to start? I discovered Heart in the 80s and thought that the s/t was their debut... not knowing they were huge in the US for a decade before that.

Will see them for the first time this summer.. their 2nd show ever in Sweden. Too bad they don't play very much from the s/t, Bad Animals, Brigade and Desire Walks On.
I just turned on Spotify and started with the debut album which I thought was really good and the albums after that till like 1980 were all enjoyable to me....
After that I'm not that fond of it. You can still marvel at her voice, but the songs and sound are not really my cup of tea....
Yes, their music went downhill starting in about 1980. Now that I think about it Roger Fisher left the band in about '79. Coincidence...not the slightest bit. He was the best thing about that band. Or at least a close second to Nancy's ass. Now that I think about it Nancy's ass was what led to him no longer being in the band.

As far as the topic. This has kind of happened with me a couple of times, but my love for music always comes back. Especially when I'm on speed. Music always sounds great when wired. However, I did start to question why I play guitar. I'm 47, strung out, and still live with the parents. Some would say I should maybe be putting my energy and effort into other things at this point. They may have a point. At 47 I'm probably getting close to the age where I should think about getting my own place. Then I snap out of it and remember that there is nothing I like doing better than playing guitar when I'm wired.

I do tend to listen to talk radio talk shows or audio books when I'm driving at least as much as music these days though.
GreatWhiteSnake

HueyRamone wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 8:52 am Yes.

I listen to youtubes and audiobooks all the time, over music. I still have to listen to the new Priest album, and the fact that it's avail for free at our fingertips at any time and I still havent given it a spin says volumes.

Luckily i have my bands, or I probably wouldnt play guitar anymore. Learning new songs and solos is fun and challenging, and keeps me going, but I never think to myself, "Hmm, lets learn a Megadeth song for fun today..." What would be the point if i'm not going to perform it?

Im glad to see others on here admitting it as well. Obviously Sludgers aee gonna be more into music than the average person,, but diminishment of music love is a common occurrence as we age.

Unlike VVV, i'm taking up lots of new hobbies. Mountain biking, hiking, slacklining, working out etc. Anything that lets me avoid interacting with others.
Bollocks. Everybody knows you hate music...
GWS video of the week Seven Seconds of Shred https://youtu.be/6DAqH3eKqEM?si=N2I9eU92_ovsb69d updated 3/9/24
HueyRamone

Post by HueyRamone »

GreatWhiteSnake wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 3:59 pm
HueyRamone wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 8:52 am Yes.

Bollocks. Everybody knows you hate music...
Filthy Snake would get me back into it. Looking forward to the debut song release in 2029
Don't Damn Me wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2023 7:21 pm Dummy, are you aware that hydroxy-chloroqin and Ivermectin have since been proven effective?
HueyRamone

Post by HueyRamone »

Ryan81 wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 3:35 pm
Love_Industry wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 4:34 am

Any good? Where to start? I discovered Heart in the 80s and thought that the s/t was their debut... not knowing they were huge in the US for a decade before that.

Will see them for the first time this summer.. their 2nd show ever in Sweden. Too bad they don't play very much from the s/t, Bad Animals, Brigade and Desire Walks On.
I just turned on Spotify and started with the debut album which I thought was really good and the albums after that till like 1980 were all enjoyable to me....
After that I'm not that fond of it. You can still marvel at her voice, but the songs and sound are not really my cup of tea....
Yes, their music went downhill starting in about 1980. Now that I think about it Roger Fisher left the band in about '79. Coincidence...not the slightest bit. He was the best thing about that band. Or at least a close second to Nancy's ass. Now that I think about it Nancy's ass was what led to him no longer being in the band.

As far as the topic. This has kind of happened with me a couple of times, but my love for music always comes back. Especially when I'm on speed. Music always sounds great when wired. However, I did start to question why I play guitar. I'm 47, strung out, and still live with the parents. Some would say I should maybe be putting my energy and effort into other things at this point. They may have a point. At 47 I'm probably getting close to the age where I should think about getting my own place. Then I snap out of it and remember that there is nothing I like doing better than playing guitar when I'm wired.

I do tend to listen to talk radio talk shows or audio books when I'm driving at least as much as music these days though.
Are mommy and daddy gonna kick you out at any point, or have they resigned themselves that you'll be there until you (heh heh) retire?
WCiezak
Passing Out Band Flyers

Post by WCiezak »

First thing is to have something good to listen on. A lot of things don't have great conversion from the digital back to analog for listening. Then there's the headphone amplification and the headphones themselves. When it comes to speakers, maybe you need at least 10k. I never bothered to get into it. I got an Aurora N interface for pro audio use and it coincidentally works brilliantly for listening. And I've heard Stax setups and other real expensive headphone systems. Audeze, Abyss, lots. A simple $30 Sansa clip measures pretty well but doesn't have a lot of amplification in it. Even with today's tech, apparently it's still tough to get converters to reach their full potential. Top notch conversion allows everything to sound more unique. Stuff doesn't just blur together. It's more in line with what you hear from vinyl with a good player.

As far as new music, there isn't a lot that's on par with the classics. A few albums that are newer that I listen to:

Rave in Fire/Sons Of A Lie
Drown Again/Emerge
Blood By Design/The Ancient One
Kerion/Age of Cyborgs
Evil Conspiracy/The Demons Mark
Brymir/Voices In The Sky
Cyhra/No Halos In Hell
Savage Master/Those That Hunt At Night
Vice/For The Fallen
Ironbound/The Lightbringer

Flat Earth have a couple tremendous songs in "Subhuman" and "Enough Abused" but the rest are kinda mediocre. The last two Arch Enemy have some good songs like "The Eagle Flies Alone". Someone on rutracker posts declipped versions which sound good on headphones. So far they sound a little washed out in the car. If you haven't heard a lot of the stuff released about two decades ago from 2003-2007 on labels like Frontiers and MTM, there's a lot there. Gotthard, Harem Scarem, Pride of Lions, Broke N Blue, Nexx(Colours, Another Dawn), Hartmann, Tony O'Hora, Praying Mantis, Frontline, Shiva/Zhiva, Poodles(Metal will Stand Tall mainly), Wig Wam(Wigwamania mainly), Terranova, Coastline, just look at a site like melodicrock.com and see what came out during these years.

Midnight City is a newer band that holds up really well. Creye. Dukes of the Orient. Tony Martin's Thorns album. Annica/Badly Dreaming has a new and better mastering on Tidal. You can actually find most all this stuff on Tidal nowadays. Alyson Avenue/Presence of Mind. The Murder Of My Sweet/Brave Tin World. Frozen Tears/Brazen Whisper. Dan Baune's Lost Sanctuary. It's never been easier to hear stuff. Well hopefully something I listed works for ya.
GoodJudge
Playing Decent Clubs in a Bus

Post by GoodJudge »

WCiezak wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 5:34 pm Rave in Fire/Sons Of A Lie
Drown Again/Emerge
Kerion/Age of Cyborgs
Brymir/Voices In The Sky
Cyhra/No Halos In Hell
Vice/For The Fallen
Holy Power Metal, Batman! Or are these something to do w that "new wave of true metal" stuff that I heard of a few years back? I skipped through a few earlier, barely a shred (ha!) of originality amongst them BUT that doesn't mean I didn't enjoy them. I'll certainly go back on some in more detail, and check the rest when I get time.
Bono Nettencourt
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by Bono Nettencourt »

HueyRamone wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 4:10 pm
Ryan81 wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 3:35 pm

Are mommy and daddy gonna kick you out at any point, or have they resigned themselves that you'll be there until you (heh heh) retire?
My childhood best friends brother was like that - he never left the house after he graduated HS and jockeyed the register at the local corner store. His parents both died, he's probably around 60 now.
ijwthstd wrote: obviously you take this way too seriously and were deeply affected by what transpired in the early 1990's and hopefully you are discussing these issues with a therapist in addition to other fans on music message boards.
sicktwistedfreak
Opening for Slaughter

Post by sicktwistedfreak »

Like others posted here, I have started going back and listening to music that I was not aware of. This YouTube channel definitely has introduced me to a ton of new stuff :

https://www.youtube.com/user/DJDiscoCatV2

...and this one kicks remixes into high gear for me

https://groovefunkel.com

I have removed bands like Metallica, Pantera, etc. from my playlist and I would definitely be open to some newer suggestions. I really like Ritchie Kotzen, It's Alive and the Dan Reed Network's catalogs. If anyone can give some recommendations it would be greatly appreciated!!!
Whether it's his outer glaze or cream-filled insides, King Ding Dong gets his subjects filthy!
Sleek

Post by Sleek »

If you want to discover new old heavy stuff, then this site is the best ever thing: https://aftersabbath.blogspot.com/

There are (to date) 153 downloadable compilations of heavy rock rarities. The first few are more general with stuff like Detective, Cactus, Bloodrock and stuff, but they get more granular as they go. The most recent is 1970's heavy Huingarian bands.
ROADHEAD wrote:I've never tasted coffee
HueyRamone wrote:I like Radio Gaga
HueyRamone wrote:QUIT FUCKING WITH MY SETLIST, ASSWIPE!

inextrem
Cockblocked by Poison

Post by inextrem »

As many said, hard to get into new acts... funny enough its easier to enjoy non-metal newbies these days.

Anyway, the trick is to discover or re-discover older bands... For the past 5 years or so I've been digging' into the discographies of bands I had quite a superficial knowledge of (maybe owning just a couple of albums in my collection) such as Genesis, Uriah Heep, Blue Oyster Cult or Jean Michel-jarre.... and I'm pleased with that.
Ozzy Stradlin
Playing Decent Clubs in a Bus

Post by Ozzy Stradlin »

Psychobolia.com wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 1:12 pm The key is finding old stuff that is new to you.
I’ve been doing this for years, and that’s what gets me through - finding the cool stuff that I missed along the way.

There are thousands of bands from the 50s through the 90s, and it stands to reason that I wouldn’t have heard all of the ones that I would like.

There are also bands that I didn’t like what I heard from in the 80s & 90s that I’ve found appreciation for more recently.
Last edited by Ozzy Stradlin on Sun Apr 07, 2024 8:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tommy
Debut Album Goes Gold

Post by Tommy »

Desert rock is awesome.
Chip Z'Hoy

Post by Chip Z'Hoy »

VinnieVincentsVag wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 12:25 pm Anyone else having this issue?
Can’t find any new stuff I really like.
Tired of the old stuff I listen to.
Rarely listen to music anymore.
Haven’t picked up an instrument in months.
Not being a goof, this sounds like depression. Hang in there! You'll bounce back.

I recommend burning one and putting on some Kiss.
LAglamrocker wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 3:56 pmClub was packed with Metal Edge fans 18-30..no stupid Rush Roll The Bones dipsh*ts
Sleek

Post by Sleek »

Chip Z'Hoy wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2024 5:41 pm
I recommend burning one and putting on some Kiss.
Aww man. I just tried this as per your suggestion, and now I too have fallen out of love with music.
ROADHEAD wrote:I've never tasted coffee
HueyRamone wrote:I like Radio Gaga
HueyRamone wrote:QUIT FUCKING WITH MY SETLIST, ASSWIPE!

SchenkerFan
Headlining Clubs

Post by SchenkerFan »

I have done very little music listening over the past months. Plenty of records out there I haven't heard yet, but I feel like it's all the same. I've tried exploring other genres but that didn't last too long.
SchenkerFan
Headlining Clubs

Post by SchenkerFan »

inextrem wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2024 10:03 am As many said, hard to get into new acts... funny enough its easier to enjoy non-metal newbies these days.

Anyway, the trick is to discover or re-discover older bands... For the past 5 years or so I've been digging' into the discographies of bands I had quite a superficial knowledge of (maybe owning just a couple of albums in my collection) such as Genesis, Uriah Heep, Blue Oyster Cult or Jean Michel-jarre.... and I'm pleased with that.
That works to some extent. I've always preferred looking for hidden gems over listening to Frontiers crap. Though I have to say I came across a lot of mediocre stuff as well.

Try Rock Candy Records. They have quite a few D-list remasters that were actually damn good.
WCiezak
Passing Out Band Flyers

Post by WCiezak »

GoodJudge wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 1:58 am
WCiezak wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 5:34 pm Rave in Fire/Sons Of A Lie
Drown Again/Emerge
Kerion/Age of Cyborgs
Brymir/Voices In The Sky
Cyhra/No Halos In Hell
Vice/For The Fallen
Holy Power Metal, Batman! Or are these something to do w that "new wave of true metal" stuff that I heard of a few years back? I skipped through a few earlier, barely a shred (ha!) of originality amongst them BUT that doesn't mean I didn't enjoy them. I'll certainly go back on some in more detail, and check the rest when I get time.
Just stuff I found through hours of surfing Youtube. There are probably 300 some bands/artists I checked out and didn't get into. Is anyone doing anything all that cutting edge these days? What Jake did with Blood By Design was really different I thought. Felt like I heard Iced Earth, pre-Human Death, and Reinkaos era Dissection in there with some other stuff. None of this stuff felt like it was all that contrived, some more creative than others, sure. The Ironbound is interesting, sounds like Blaze-era Maiden if Blaze was more capable. Rave in Fire is probably my fav from the list. The first four songs on the Drown Again album are really potent. "Cage Of My Own" Skin being the standout for me. Cyhra "Battle From Within" is a real standout too, pretty cool video as well. The big thing for me is I wanted stuff that could hold up against my favorites from the past.
sicktwistedfreak
Opening for Slaughter

Post by sicktwistedfreak »

Useful tool if anyone is looking for similar artists to listen to :

https://www.music-map.com/
Whether it's his outer glaze or cream-filled insides, King Ding Dong gets his subjects filthy!
GreatWhiteSnake

FWIW 80% of what I listen to is my Spotify Release Radar (new releases from bands I follow and similar bands) and Discover Weekly (older, rarer stuff from bands I follow that I might not have heard). It keeps me very satisfied and continuously finding great new artists (another plug for Electric Mary here). The other 20% is going into my library and doing a deep dive into specfic artists. I usually go through alphabetically. Just finished a deep dive on The Faces. Never realized really how prominent the organ was to their sound. And Rod really liked to use people's names in song titles. Great stuff....
pieceofme
Signed to a Major Label Multi-Album Deal

Post by pieceofme »

Yeah, just in the last couple of months as well.
GrayAntiMatter wrote:EVH

Zappa is pure cult status shit. He is to music what Bruce fucking Campbell is to acting....
cowpins
Platinum Artist

Post by cowpins »

Gaz, there's a new song on the new Robinson Brother's The Black Crowes album called Flesh Wound that I've been digging and here they are performing it live. I think it's about addiction. BTW, I'm seeing them in Germany in May with my son for his HS graduation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VPsFLkgKEqg
"bus problems come on man so boring we have our bus its awesome and we r watching judge judy on it right now tour is going great 14 more shows to go see you out there rockin peeps not you garbageman you stay home" - HueyRamone, 7/3/12
pieceofme
Signed to a Major Label Multi-Album Deal

Post by pieceofme »

cowpins wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 4:05 am Gaz, there's a new song on the new Robinson Brother's The Black Crowes album called Flesh Wound that I've been digging and here they are performing it live. I think it's about addiction. BTW, I'm seeing them in Germany in May with my son for his HS graduation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VPsFLkgKEqg
Hope they don't suck live and put your son off their music as well!
GrayAntiMatter wrote:EVH

Zappa is pure cult status shit. He is to music what Bruce fucking Campbell is to acting....