Tribute Bands

The one that started it all. Spreading gossip and insults since 1998.

Moderator: Metal Sludge

uwec95
Headlining Clubs

Tribute Bands

Post by uwec95 »

I just got back from seeing Brit Floyd, a Pink Floyd tribute band that tours and puts on a big production. The show was phenomenal. They are great musicians, they sound just like Pink Floyd, and they have the visuals to match. This is the first tribute band I have seen, and it made me wonder what other good ones are out there touring. So, have any of you seen some good touring tribute bands that would be good to see if they had a show where I live (Milwaukee)? I'm talking actual tribute bands (not Quiet Riot or any of the other washed up bands talked about on here with few or no original members).
Sleek
Playing a Package Tour in Arenas

Re: Tribute Bands

Post by Sleek »

All tribute bands are awful.
ROADHEAD wrote:I've never tasted coffee
HueyRamone wrote:I like Radio Gaga
HueyRamone wrote:QUIT FUCKING WITH MY SETLIST, ASSWIPE!

keyofgee
Headlining Clubs

Post by keyofgee »

Tribute bands exist because people won’t give new music or new music from older bands they grew up on a chance for new stuff for the most part..
Anyway. Saying that, if you like Kid Rock go see Kid Kentucky. Don is basically Kid rocks clone. Looks, moves and sings? Just like him..he gets asked all the time if he is kid rock, he is that close . Seriously
Last edited by keyofgee on Sun Apr 07, 2024 3:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wiseacre
Cockblocked by Poison

Post by Wiseacre »

I love (good) tribute bands, personally. I seen a ton and some are meh and some are phenomenal. I’ve seen Australian Floyd Many times and they are absolutely top notch.

Nothi at all to do with listening to new music. If you loved bands from 40-50 years ago, what are ya gonna do? Watch a scab version with one original guy that is old and sucks or see a full scab version that sounds and looks fantastic. Now, if you hang out after for an autograph that’s another story
greengoblinrulz
Headlining Clubs

Post by greengoblinrulz »

Not a fan of tribute acts unless they have some sort of catch to em
skatexedge
Headlining Clubs

Post by skatexedge »

Saw The Atomic Punks (VH tribute) years ago and they were fucking amazing. Classic DLR Van Halen songs only and they nailed it! 😁
Zabooka
Playing Decent Clubs in a Bus

Post by Zabooka »

I've been enjoying myself more at local tribute acts than the real thing.

Established act at a big arena:
- You're paying a large ticket price.
- Lots of gas as it's likely in the hours to get there and back.
- Expensive parking.
- Over priced booze, food and merch.
- Big lineup to the washroom.
- You're hundreds of feet from the band and staring at the screen more than the stage.

Tribute act playing down the street:
- Cheap ticket.
- Barely any gas.
- No parking cost.
- Not as expensive booze.
- Washroom 10 second walk from the stage and always available.
- You're 20 feet from the stage.
- Often sounds better (vocally) than the aging established act.
Rob Lane
Forming a Band

Post by Rob Lane »

POIZON 'Ride The Wind' Live in Nottingham
UK Poison Tribute.

https://youtu.be/bexXXEVF7IA?si=EIF1mxfvdv2AEQXY
📼 The only thing that ever made sense to me - Is the words to a song from an American movie! 📼
Black Stuff
Doing Package Tours in Theaters

Post by Black Stuff »

Tribute bands are great,if done properly. Love me some Strutter!
The power of Sludge compels you.
HoldenSSV
Playing at a Friend's Party

Post by HoldenSSV »

Brit Floyd was excellent.

If I'm not mistaken, they change up their setlist every tour.
"Copying off of one person is called plagiarism.
Copying off of ten people is called research."
Brainy Lane
Recording Debut Album

Post by Brainy Lane »

Rob Lane wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 12:19 am POIZON 'Ride The Wind' Live in Nottingham
UK Poison Tribute.

https://youtu.be/bexXXEVF7IA?si=EIF1mxfvdv2AEQXY
We begged them to put it back in the set!!
That was great
HueyRamone
Playing First Stage at SludgeFest

Post by HueyRamone »

keyofgee wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2024 11:46 am Tribute bands exist because people won’t give new music or new music from older bands they grew up on a chance for new stuff for the most part..
"Why do people want to go see a band play Van Halen, a band they grew up with and had absorbed into their heads in their formative years, one they associate with the best times of their life, one who's songs are universally hailed as the creme de la creme of rock n roll, when they could be seeing a local band play their songs youve never heard, but that they and their girlfriends all swear are 'really pretty good'?"
Don't Damn Me wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2023 7:21 pm Dummy, are you aware that hydroxy-chloroqin and Ivermectin have since been proven effective?
GreatWhiteSnake

Post by GreatWhiteSnake »

Walnut Creek Croo. Don't miss 'em...
GWS video of the week Seven Seconds of Shred https://youtu.be/6DAqH3eKqEM?si=N2I9eU92_ovsb69d updated 3/9/24
https://soundcloud.com/crunch-104998557
keyofgee
Headlining Clubs

Post by keyofgee »

HueyRamone wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 6:54 am
keyofgee wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2024 11:46 am Tribute bands exist because people won’t give new music or new music from older bands they grew up on a chance for new stuff for the most part..
"Why do people want to go see a band play Van Halen, a band they grew up with and had absorbed into their heads in their formative years, one they associate with the best times of their life, one who's songs are universally hailed as the creme de la creme of rock n roll, when they could be seeing a local band play their songs you've never heard, but that they and their girlfriends all swear are 'really pretty good'?"
you misinterpreted my quote. I was speaking of professional bands. Almost everyone here slags on new bon jovi for example, why? Because in their "formative years" you heard it a million times whether you liked it or not and it got embedded. When an older artist releases something new like Bon Jovi most people wont even let the new song finish before they move on. "It's not "wanted dead or alive".
Spongie
Playing Shitty Clubs in a Van

Post by Spongie »

Aussie(and Brit) Pink Floyd are the high water mark for tribute bands. They’re next level.

These are the bands I think of whenever the topic of an official Kiss touring band without original members comes up. I believe it’s doable.
HueyRamone

Post by HueyRamone »

keyofgee wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 7:32 am
HueyRamone wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 6:54 am
"Why do people want to go see a band play Van Halen, a band they grew up with and had absorbed into their heads in their formative years, one they associate with the best times of their life, one who's songs are universally hailed as the creme de la creme of rock n roll, when they could be seeing a local band play their songs you've never heard, but that they and their girlfriends all swear are 'really pretty good'?"
you misinterpreted my quote. I was speaking of professional bands. Almost everyone here slags on new bon jovi for example, why? Because in their "formative years" you heard it a million times whether you liked it or not and it got embedded. When an older artist releases something new like Bon Jovi most people wont even let the new song finish before they move on. "It's not "wanted dead or alive".
What would that have to do with tribute bands? Shouldnt this go in the "people like bands older music, but not their new stuff" thread? All heritage rockers's setlists are mostly the old stuff already.
Don't Damn Me wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2023 7:21 pm Dummy, are you aware that hydroxy-chloroqin and Ivermectin have since been proven effective?
Wiseacre
Cockblocked by Poison

Post by Wiseacre »

Black Stuff wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 3:25 am Tribute bands are great,if done properly. Love me some Strutter!
I saw them a few times back in the mid-90s and loved it. Especially since even though I was a KISS fan since 77 I didn’t get to see them love until COTN. This was pre-reunion so it was cool to “see” the original show.
MetalSludgeCEO

Post by MetalSludgeCEO »

Sleek wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2024 1:51 am All tribute bands are awful.
Typical "Get off my lawn" view... :roll:

Nobody cares about those who don't care... tons of Tribute and Cover bands are great and doing great business.

Bravo for them...

$tEvil
LAglamrocker

Post by LAglamrocker »

I felt I truly made it in Hollywood when tribute singer begged me to come to his “show”. Been like that for 2 decades now
It’s the reason I planted walnut tree in my yard few years ago.
Taking walnuts to the creek brings me joy like Motleys 4th cd
Jani Lane and Bret Michaels should form a band called "Nelson II"
HueyRamone

Post by HueyRamone »

MetalSludgeCEO wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 9:25 am
Sleek wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2024 1:51 am All tribute bands are awful.
Typical "Get off my lawn" view... :roll:

Nobody cares about those who don't care... tons of Tribute and Cover bands are great and doing great business.

Bravo for them...

$tEvil
You tell him. He should get into a classic rock tribute and make some serious coin
Sleek

Post by Sleek »

What, something like top-rate Fleetwood Mac© tribute TWISTED GYPSY© who are headlining The Arena© in Simi Valley this Saturday, playing two hours of Fleetweood Mac© classics from 9-11PM for what is probably a very reasonable and fair door price?

Nahhhhh. I'm no sellout.

LAglamrocker

Post by LAglamrocker »

^ I saw tha Fleet tribute play in front of Macys mall in Pasadena for free..during the holiday season..like 80 people in patio near Trader Joe’s

Motley Priest needs to reunite and save us all..maybe Maui SugarMill..near old Paladino’s #bookit

They had Micky Donald and few other characters walking around taking photos with hair band fans roaming around
Last edited by LAglamrocker on Mon Apr 08, 2024 11:22 am, edited 2 times in total.
Jani Lane and Bret Michaels should form a band called "Nelson II"
HueyRamone

Post by HueyRamone »

Sleek wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 11:06 am What, something like top-rate Fleetwood Mac© tribute TWISTED GYPSY© who are headlining The Arena© in Simi Valley this Saturday, playing two hours of Fleetweood Mac© classics from 9-11PM for what is probably a very reasonable and fair door price?

Nahhhhh. I'm no sellout.
Those should be ™'s, not ©'s.
As a licensing graphics guy, you should know this.
thebends
Playing Decent Clubs in a Bus

Post by thebends »

I've seen a few tribute bands and enjoyed them, just think in a few years all the good bands will have died off and that's all that will be left.
The new bands don't last and are not that good.
tooth
Recording Debut Album

Post by tooth »

I've seen "Get the Led Out" (Led Zep) & "Hugo's Escape" (Journey). GTLO was maybe 7 members, wearing 70's style clothes & they sounded a lot like the records. Hugo looks a lot like, & sounds pretty damn close to, Steve Perry while the guitarist kinda looks & sounds like Neal Schon. The other guys in the band didn't look like the other guys in Journey. I was brought as a guest, had a great time at both but doubt I would ever go on my own. There are a couple "Rush" ones that come through every once in a while that I would like to see. I would check a proper KISS one, as well.
Psychobolia.com
Location: Paris, France, land of sleaze and cheese, wine and whine

Post by Psychobolia.com »

I'm looking forward to next Monday, my first rehearsal with W.A.F.P., possibly the only French W.A.S.P. tribute band!
Sleek

Post by Sleek »

HueyRamone wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 11:20 am
Sleek wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 11:06 am What, something like top-rate Fleetwood Mac© tribute TWISTED GYPSY© who are headlining The Arena© in Simi Valley this Saturday, playing two hours of Fleetweood Mac© classics from 9-11PM for what is probably a very reasonable and fair door price?

Nahhhhh. I'm no sellout.
Meh. I have alt+0169 memorized, but always have to look up the ™ unicode or copy-paste. That could have taken me seconds more. SECONDS, I say!

...I'm also just not down with superscript.

HueyRamone

Post by HueyRamone »

Sleek wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 1:03 pm
HueyRamone wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 11:20 am

Nahhhhh. I'm no sellout.
Meh. I have alt+0169 memorized, but always have to look up the ™ unicode or copy-paste. That could have taken me seconds more. SECONDS, I say!

...I'm also just not down with superscript.
That's what it is on a PC??

On a mac © is option-G and ™ is Option-2, no need to superscript anything.

No wonder you're workflow is so slow, and you havent had time to do your video promo reel for your Germanic tribute band.
Sleek

Post by Sleek »

The TM itself is superscript. That's the name for tiny raised letters or numbers.

...and what kind of wanky thinkbox has an option key?

Next you'll try and convince me there is one with a picture of a fruit on it.

Kid-Wicked
Opening for Helix

Post by Kid-Wicked »

Anyway. Saying that, if you like Kid Rock go see Kid Kentucky. Don is basically Kid rocks clone. Looks, moves and sings? Just like him..he gets asked all the time if he is kid rock, he is that close . Seriously
well.........he LOOKS like him if rock was 20lbs bigger.
but this band? holy fuck this is bad.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ra_yn9Bcda8

seriously