Humble Pie - I Don't Need No Doctor Midnight Special 1973

The one that started it all. Spreading gossip and insults since 1998.

Moderator: Metal Sludge

JamesHetfieldsAcneScars
Cockblocked by Poison

Humble Pie - I Don't Need No Doctor Midnight Special 1973

Post by JamesHetfieldsAcneScars »

Thought this was kinda a trip and figured I'd share. Okay bye-bye https://youtu.be/UJPVLywFd9I?si=Fqy10W18PD4Aykov

whammybar
Doing Package Tours in Theaters

Re: Humble Pie - I Don't Need No Doctor Midnight Special 1973

Post by whammybar »

Hell yeah!
Wild Obsession
Debut Album Goes Gold

Post by Wild Obsession »

Totally underrated band, and especially vocalist Steve Marriott (IMO one of the greatest rock singers off all time). For some reason Humble Pie almost seems like a "footnote" when it comes to "the history of rock and roll"?
Black Stuff

Post by Black Stuff »

Awesome! THIS is rock n roll, or maybe raunch N roll?
The power of Sludge compels you.
whammybar

Post by whammybar »

Best guitar tones of the times, but they needed that big radio hit they never really got. Couple of takeaways, looks like they had to get back up singers after Frampton left... and those boys are completely trashed out of their minds.
GreatWhiteSnake
Playing a Package Tour in Arenas

Post by GreatWhiteSnake »

Huge fan of The Pie...
GWS video of the week Seven Seconds of Shred https://youtu.be/6DAqH3eKqEM?si=N2I9eU92_ovsb69d updated 3/9/24
https://soundcloud.com/crunch-104998557
Whatever Happened To…
Headlining Clubs

Post by Whatever Happened To… »

Great sound but no songs, they just kind of wash over you and outstay their welcome - Frampton was obviously saving his best material.

Overall there's something unconvincing and contrived about Humble Pie. Shit name as well.
Bono Nettencourt
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by Bono Nettencourt »

whammybar wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 5:51 am Best guitar tones of the times, but they needed that big radio hit they never really got. Couple of takeaways, looks like they had to get back up singers after Frampton left... and those boys are completely trashed out of their minds.
Marriott was known to drink a little.
ijwthstd wrote: obviously you take this way too seriously and were deeply affected by what transpired in the early 1990's and hopefully you are discussing these issues with a therapist in addition to other fans on music message boards.
whammybar

Post by whammybar »

Bono Nettencourt wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 8:02 am
whammybar wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 5:51 am Best guitar tones of the times, but they needed that big radio hit they never really got. Couple of takeaways, looks like they had to get back up singers after Frampton left... and those boys are completely trashed out of their minds.
We backed them up in Richmond one time. I was sitting on a long table in the dressing room and the back door to the parking lot came open... and Marriott fell through the doorway flat on his face, and a quart bottle of Jack went sliding across the floor. This huge guy behind him picked him up like a little child, and sat him on the table where he promptly fell backwards and passed out. I found the guys and told them we'd probably have to play the whole show since there was no way he could function. But he came out there later and kicked serious ass like you'd never seen before.
Teos
Wannabe Rocker

Post by Teos »

Killer. I love Peter's playing but I love what Clem Clempson brought to Humble Pie just as much. Clem brought a little more straight forward blues element with killer tone and feel. Not many bands can lose a player as great as Peter and then release their biggest record with a replacement guitarist. Hard to find a band with two better guitar players than Steve Marriott with Peter or Clem. The Blackberries added so much during this era as well.
Black Stuff

Post by Black Stuff »

whammybar wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 8:17 am
Bono Nettencourt wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 8:02 am
We backed them up in Richmond one time. I was sitting on a long table in the dressing room and the back door to the parking lot came open... and Marriott fell through the doorway flat on his face, and a quart bottle of Jack went sliding across the floor. This huge guy behind him picked him up like a little child, and sat him on the table where he promptly fell backwards and passed out. I found the guys and told them we'd probably have to play the whole show since there was no way he could function. But he came out there later and kicked serious ass like you'd never seen before.
rock n roll!
The power of Sludge compels you.