Realistically, how much longer does GN'R have? OR ANY OF THESE BANDS??

The one that started it all. Spreading gossip and insults since 1998.

Moderator: Metal Sludge

Chip Z'Hoy
Playing First Stage at SludgeFest

Realistically, how much longer does GN'R have? OR ANY OF THESE BANDS??

Post by Chip Z'Hoy »

It kinda freaks me out to think about! :shock:

I joined this forum almost 20 years ago, if I recall. Same year as Katrina, I think, so 2005?

20 years from now, these bands are going to be gone. Mostly dead.

We're marching closer to the nothingness every day, my dudes.

Anyhoo, you think we'll get another Guns N' Roses album? No, right? How much longer, realistically, do they have? Less than 10 years, my guess.
LAglamrocker wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 3:56 pmClub was packed with Metal Edge fans 18-30..no stupid Rush Roll The Bones dipsh*ts
FreddyFender
Headlining Clubs

Re: Realistically, how much longer does GN'R have? OR ANY OF THESE BANDS??

Post by FreddyFender »

The bands will be dead, but the fans will be dead too.... so no one will be around to complain. :lol:
GoodJudge
Playing Decent Clubs in a Bus

Post by GoodJudge »

Cleopatra lived closer to our time than she did to the building of the pyramids. The last genuinely good GNR record was released closer to World War 2 than to today. (GNR Lies, in case you wondered). No chance in hell that anything new and worthwhile will happen again. Enjoy the nostalgia before they Avatour.
Zabooka

Post by Zabooka »

Chip Z'Hoy wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 2:21 pmAnyhoo, you think we'll get another Guns N' Roses album? No, right? How much longer, realistically, do they have? Less than 10 years, my guess.
I've seen some recent GNR clips, and Axl has fully embraced the Mickey Mouse vocals. He isn't even trying anymore. There will not be another album, and it's probably for the best. They've had 8 years with Slash and Duff back. All we got were some recent singles. They were decent, but 20 years old, and I suspect the vocal tracks weren't recent either.

They're going to ride out the nostalgia touring till the end, as it's still making big money.
dmbrocker
Signed to a Major Label Multi-Album Deal
Location: Rockin’ with Amber, Bradie, Laurine, Dokken, Ratt, Motley, Aerosmith, Rush, Poison…

Post by dmbrocker »

I've literally pondered this recently, though with the much more distant future in mind. What will rock n' roll/hard rock/heavy metal sound like a century from now? Two centuries from now? A whole millennium or more? Will these genres even exist? How many more generations does our favorite music have left before it fades away or disappears for good?
LAglamrocker wrote: Trixter is awesome but everyone has seen After The Rain video correct? That’s one of first things I’m going thank God for
GreatWhiteSnake
Playing a Package Tour in Arenas

Post by GreatWhiteSnake »

If you just accept the fact that we're all already dead then it's not so bad...
GWS video of the week Seven Seconds of Shred https://youtu.be/6DAqH3eKqEM?si=N2I9eU92_ovsb69d updated 3/9/24
https://soundcloud.com/crunch-104998557
Sleek
Playing a Package Tour in Arenas

Post by Sleek »

Meh. The Ai is here. Just tell it to whip up some new GnR for you then pop over to make an album cover. It'll be better than anything GNR is capable of.
ROADHEAD wrote:I've never tasted coffee
HueyRamone wrote:I like Radio Gaga
HueyRamone wrote:QUIT FUCKING WITH MY SETLIST, ASSWIPE!

pieceofme

Post by pieceofme »

GoodJudge wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 2:31 pm Cleopatra lived closer to our time than she did to the building of the pyramids. The last genuinely good GNR record was released closer to World War 2 than to today. (GNR Lies, in case you wondered). No chance in hell that anything new and worthwhile will happen again. Enjoy the nostalgia before they Avatour.
WW2 ended in 1945. Lies was released in 1988. That is 43 years difference. Difference between 1988 and today is 36 years.
GrayAntiMatter wrote:EVH

Zappa is pure cult status shit. He is to music what Bruce fucking Campbell is to acting....
pieceofme

Post by pieceofme »

Also lies is not a good album. Even the illusions are better!
GrayAntiMatter wrote:EVH

Zappa is pure cult status shit. He is to music what Bruce fucking Campbell is to acting....
Charles Bukaki

Post by Charles Bukaki »

dmbrocker wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 4:10 pm I've literally pondered this recently, though with the much more distant future in mind. What will rock n' roll/hard rock/heavy metal sound like a century from now? Two centuries from now? A whole millennium or more? Will these genres even exist? How many more generations does our favorite music have left before it fades away or disappears for good?
Chuck Klosterman wrote a book about this in 2006 called But What If We're Wrong. He can be a bit smug but there's less of that in this book than in some of his others. I found the whole book and premise to be pretty interesting.
VincentVanWinger
Showcasing for A&R Reps

Post by VincentVanWinger »

:mrgreen:
Last edited by VincentVanWinger on Thu Apr 18, 2024 6:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Einstein Lawless
Having Slaughter Open for You

Post by Einstein Lawless »

VincentVanWinger wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 5:00 pm Sludge 2034 topics,

- David Bryan’s Bon Jovi experience tour dates just announced. Chad Kroeger will again handle vocal duties.

- Bret Michaels health forces him into retirement, says Poison can continue without original members.

- Duff and Slash announce retirement from touring. Say they are working on a new record with Axl AI vocals. Axls estate has given their blessing for the project. If album does well GnR avatar tour could be next step.

- Warrant/Cinderella/Slaughter tour on tap with zero original members from any of the bands. Ticket sales show fans don’t care.

- Some bands experimenting with AI backing tracks that recreate a singers live voice from any era and is completely undetectable by audiences. This has Joe Elliott, Paul Stanley and others mulling a return to the road.

- KISS bassist Gene Simmons says his no makeup tour with Ace was a smash and has him thinking about future dates. Says backing tracks are ok with advent of the orgAnIc vocal service. He says giving fans who missed the original KISS run an experience is more important than holding onto some false sense of integrity or authenticity.

- Judas Priest in talks with Corey Taylor about stepping in on vocals for new tour. Dave Draiman also in the running after Disturbed called it quits last year.

- SHINEDOWN singer Brent Smith mulling solo country album after falling out with Zach Myers has future of band in doubt.

- ex Def Leppard guitarist Phil Collen says he will produce next Greta Van Fleet album that will be released exclusively on vinyl due to global artist boycott of Spotify. Says this will be his last project. Has no plans to rejoin Leppard if Joe and Rick Allen decide to unretire.

- following passing of Tommy Lee last year and now Vince Neil’s health issues there is talk of Nikki Sixx and Mick Mars auditioning drummers for a tour next year. Bret Michaels was on tap for vocals before he had to pull out due to his own issues.
You forgot to mention the 2034 upcoming Keith Richards / Ozzy collaboration.
Physician, kill Thyself- Danzig in the Dark

Stryper have a better shot at getting into Hell than the HOF.- The Stench.

You people are so burnt out on your own culture that you can't even talk about it intelligibly anymore.- Funz
MetalSludgeCEO

Post by MetalSludgeCEO »

Chip Z'Hoy wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 2:21 pm It kinda freaks me out to think about! :shock:

I joined this forum almost 20 years ago, if I recall. Same year as Katrina, I think, so 2005?

Anyhoo, you think we'll get another Guns N' Roses album? No, right? How much longer, realistically, do they have? Less than 10 years, my guess.

""""""""""""""""""""We're marching closer to the nothingness every day, my dudes."""""""""""""""""""""

This!

And it's also the reason why the amount of F#@ks I give, about anyone else's opinion of me, or anything I do... has diminished to absolutely Zero!

Life is good... and I'm living all of it, the best I can, for whatever time is left!

$tEvil
PBFSUCKS
Playing Shitty Clubs in a Van

Post by PBFSUCKS »

Who would have thought the Stones and McCartney would still be filling stadiums 30 years ago.

Honestly, I’m still stunned GNR sells so many tickets. They stink live, the shows are way too long and they really only had one solid album. I guess it goes to show how shitty some of the bands from that era really were.

How great would it be to live in LAglamrocker’s head? Get a hard on when Babylon AD announce a show or when Roxy Blue plays in town. The guy must have perfect cholesterol … he eats like a damn king! And he may or may not believe wrestling is real!!!! Fuck it, I’m grabbing my Lipitor and heading out west!
SterileEyes1
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by SterileEyes1 »

It’s why I try to see them at least once every tour, you never know when it’ll be the last time. That’s how I approach all of the artists I love.

GN’R toured super hard last year. Changed their setlist significantly. Axl was in the best shape he’s been in probably 15 years. Vocally it’s not getting any easier for him, but it’s ridiculous to suggest that those guys aren’t working extremely hard to keep doing what they do.

Lately I’m just hoping none of my favorite bands resort to lipsyncing like apparently Don Henley has. It would suck if audiences accepted that from GN’R, Metallica, etc.

But who knows how long it can go? 20 years ago I never could’ve imagined Metallica playing at this level in their 60s, GN’R still doing 3 hour shows in 2024, etc.

Hardly any bands at their level retire voluntarily, that’s for sure. If the audiences keep coming and their throats and bodies keep functioning reasonably well I wouldn’t be surprised if they were still going in 15-20 years.
My Video Covers: https://www.youtube.com/@therealjeffstein/

"Diary Of A Madman"
"Aja"
"Atlas, Rise!"
“Sludge Factory”
"Locomotive"

My Original Music: https://jeffstein.bandcamp.com
DangerZone
Debut Album Goes Gold

Post by DangerZone »

I think early 80s metal/rock will be similar to the 1930s blues - a major well of inspiration for all kinds of genres, but it will never be the same.
The right feel will die with that pool of musicians
EzyRider
Doing Package Tours in Theaters

Post by EzyRider »

I feel like I'm in some weird groundhog day type situation when I turn on the radio, it hasn't changed in like 30 years, it's pretty freaking weird. GNR is kinda the same. They've toured without releasing anything for YEARS playing the same songs, it's weird!
It's good to be bad
It's the best time you'll ever have
What the hell is this ultra sad
Pray for your cool and work on that ass!
Love_Industry

Post by Love_Industry »

EzyRider wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 8:22 pm I feel like I'm in some weird groundhog day type situation when I turn on the radio, it hasn't changed in like 30 years, it's pretty freaking weird.
The world is changing at a much slower pace now than in the 1900s. Just look at fashion. Walking around in 1988 dressed like in 1968 would look ridiculous. 2004 clothing in 2024 would barely get a second look. Tech...yeah, TVs are flat now and smartphones are actually working, but those are still improvements of 90s tech. Digital music? Both streaming and download files existed in the late 90s. Makes perfect sense that vinyl and cds are coming back bigtime.

Maybe the internet caused the stagnation. It has even become a museum itself, the most popular sites are all 20-25 years old (Facebook, Amazon, Wikipedia, Google, Spotify, Twitter etc.) and even the "new and fresh" Tiktok is already 8 years old... when Metal Sludge started, not even the web as a whole was 8 years old. And tiktok doesn't even make the top 10 .... it's right behind 90s dinosaur yahoo.com.

https://explodingtopics.com/blog/most-visited-websites
Ryan81
Headlining Clubs

Post by Ryan81 »

I was really disappointed with the couple of "new" songs they've put out. Like that Absurd song was one of the blandast, most pointless songs I've heard a band of their caliber creating. It would lend credence to the theory that Izzy was indeed THE song guy. However, Axl came up with some great stuff on Chinese Democracy so he is certainly capable of writing good tunes. He wrote Estranged after all which is one of the best songs of the last 50 years.

But to your point...yes, it's sad that the clock is indeed ticking. As was said above it's kind of already happened. I haven't been excited about a new band since the 90's. With no even relatively "newer" bands carrying the torch it's almost over. The "youngest" band that has done anything to capture my interest in recent history was Extreme last year and they are no spring chickens. Well, Nuno seems to be immune to aging I guess.
alexleehooker
Buying Cool Stage Clothes

Post by alexleehooker »

Love_Industry wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 11:27 pm
EzyRider wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 8:22 pm I feel like I'm in some weird groundhog day type situation when I turn on the radio, it hasn't changed in like 30 years, it's pretty freaking weird.
The world is changing at a much slower pace now than in the 1900s. Just look at fashion. Walking around in 1988 dressed like in 1968 would look ridiculous. 2004 clothing in 2024 would barely get a second look. Tech...yeah, TVs are flat now and smartphones are actually working, but those are still improvements of 90s tech. Digital music? Both streaming and download files existed in the late 90s. Makes perfect sense that vinyl and cds are coming back bigtime.

Maybe the internet caused the stagnation. It has even become a museum itself, the most popular sites are all 20-25 years old (Facebook, Amazon, Wikipedia, Google, Spotify, Twitter etc.) and even the "new and fresh" Tiktok is already 8 years old... when Metal Sludge started, not even the web as a whole was 8 years old. And tiktok doesn't even make the top 10 .... it's right behind 90s dinosaur yahoo.com.

2001 - 2009 fashion was at least superior to the 90s so thank our lucky stars that the clock has stuck at 2004 rather than 1994
keyofgee
Headlining Clubs

Post by keyofgee »

GNR will turn into Lynyrd Skynyrd. And the people won't care. A.I. will be making all the music and commercials. The people will be listening to 1o second jingles and not full songs probably too like in Demolition man. Humanity will gladly surrender itself to machines. That is the future. Bleak as Frack.
EzyRider
Doing Package Tours in Theaters

Post by EzyRider »

Love_Industry wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 11:27 pm

I like this take. It's not just GNR, it's everything. Just look at Apple, the latest breakthroughs seem to be different kinds of emojis instead of some new ground breaking technology. No wonder AI wants to kill us! :twisted:
It's good to be bad
It's the best time you'll ever have
What the hell is this ultra sad
Pray for your cool and work on that ass!
GoodJudge

Post by GoodJudge »

pieceofme wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 4:34 pm
GoodJudge wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 2:31 pm Cleopatra lived closer to our time than she did to the building of the pyramids. The last genuinely good GNR record was released closer to World War 2 than to today. (GNR Lies, in case you wondered). No chance in hell that anything new and worthwhile will happen again. Enjoy the nostalgia before they Avatour.
WW2 ended in 1945. Lies was released in 1988. That is 43 years difference. Difference between 1988 and today is 36 years.
Haha. Serves me right for posting around midnight after working +12 hours. My brain was fried. But even if the maths is out, the general point still stands.

And Lies > UYI.
Wild Obsession
Debut Album Goes Gold

Post by Wild Obsession »

My 3 favorite bands are (GN"R, KISS, Crue,) but I wouldn't/haven't payed to see any of them for well over a decade. IMO, 95% of the ticket buyers for any "big/legacy" bands/shows are there for something to do/a night on the town, and if the band has some semblance to what they remember from "back in the day", they are content.

Unfortunately I think we are/already at the end for a lot of the lower tier "Sludge" bands........between age, death, cost of touring, etc., I don't see these bands lasting much longer?
ijwthstd
Platinum Artist

Post by ijwthstd »

Rolling Stones ticket sales have pretty much stalled out completely. So many fans from the fan communities have died the past few years. They have finally outlived their fan base. Might be the best chance for last minute bargains since they were doing 100 show stadium tours.
"I went and saw Chickenfoot twice. I've suffered for being Sammy's friend" - Bob Forrest
tooth
Recording Debut Album

Post by tooth »

ijwthstd wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 10:57 am Rolling Stones ticket sales have pretty much stalled out completely. So many fans from the fan communities have died the past few years. They have finally outlived their fan base. Might be the best chance for last minute bargains since they were doing 100 show stadium tours.
I'm watching that. I need 4 together & as of now they start at $150 a piece for back of the stadium, upper deck. The people going all agreed $300 max, so by show time we should be able to get a decent seat at that price. ijwthstd - How long would you wait to pull the trigger on those? The show is on May 30th.

As far as GnR, I saw the AFD tour at a theatre, saw the Buckethead version at an arena & saw the reunion at Fenway Park. The best one was the theatre, obviously. The Buckethead version sucked cuz they went on way too late &, like a poster above said, the reunion shows are just too long. That Knockin on Heaven's Door/Live & Let Die bs has got to go.
LAglamrocker

Post by LAglamrocker »

Life is still good can still get Pretzel Baconator and Heavens Edge both on Sunset end of September 2024

Def Leppard is new Rolling Stones that’s the perfect choice- Hysteria in stadiums forever now
Jani Lane and Bret Michaels should form a band called "Nelson II"
ijwthstd
Platinum Artist

Post by ijwthstd »

tooth wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 11:48 am
ijwthstd wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 10:57 am Rolling Stones ticket sales have pretty much stalled out completely. So many fans from the fan communities have died the past few years. They have finally outlived their fan base. Might be the best chance for last minute bargains since they were doing 100 show stadium tours.
I'm watching that. I need 4 together & as of now they start at $150 a piece for back of the stadium, upper deck. The people going all agreed $300 max, so by show time we should be able to get a decent seat at that price. ijwthstd - How long would you wait to pull the trigger on those? The show is on May 30th.

As far as GnR, I saw the AFD tour at a theatre, saw the Buckethead version at an arena & saw the reunion at Fenway Park. The best one was the theatre, obviously. The Buckethead version sucked cuz they went on way too late &, like a poster above said, the reunion shows are just too long. That Knockin on Heaven's Door/Live & Let Die bs has got to go.

Sometimes the bottom is the day before though there are exceptions. Worth checking Ticketmaster for discounts. There is also a bot that relists Ticketmaster tickets on the secondary marked up, so once those get pulled sometimes it juices the pricing algorithms in either direction. I have Lucky Dips for 4 cities. Been listening to rehearsals in LA and they sound just fine. You might wanna consider getting 2 pairs in the same general area if it makes it cheaper / easier etc.
"I went and saw Chickenfoot twice. I've suffered for being Sammy's friend" - Bob Forrest
DonJuanDeMarco
Headlining Clubs

Post by DonJuanDeMarco »

FreddyFender wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 2:26 pm The bands will be dead, but the fans will be dead too.... so no one will be around to complain. :lol:
It's already happening. Many of the 80's bands discussed here continue on with only 1 or 2 original members.

I think Foreigner is the best example of a band continuing on successfully as a touring entity. Lynryd Skynyrd is another good example. They play on the theater and arena level. That's on a much different level than Chip's Enuff Z'nuff playing for 15 people in some out of the way town.

As for GNR... my God, it already happened! Have we forgotten? It was the Axl show for many years until Slash and Duff came back into the picture.
"You want Don Juan DeMarco, the world's greatest lover, to talk to you? What do you know of great love?"
grishnak boss

Post by grishnak boss »

Chip Z'Hoy wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 2:21 pm It kinda freaks me out to think about! :shock:

Man, we've been here for decades at this point :shock: I joined this place back in 2006, i think?...It's been years now since i was posting here on a regular basis, & life has changed a lot...

Most of these artists were/are followed by a generation that are in their 50's, early 60's now, fuck :shock: - for the teenagers & 20 somethings, all of this is fuckin prehistoric music - even "newer" bands of GenX are ancient at this point - fuckin Nevermind by Nirvana came out 33 years ago? fuuuuuuuck :lol: :shock:

As for your question, they may...but they are different people now, and security/conformity plays a huge role, imo. They may end up recording a new one, although I don't think it will have the same kind of impact, not even close.

I was looking at some Jane's addiction videos from the late 80's, and youtube started invading my feed with their recent videos, & man....Perry Farrell looks oooooooold at this point.
Last edited by grishnak boss on Sun Apr 21, 2024 5:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
SatanOscillateMyMetallicSonatas

Dogma: I am God.