Realistically, how much longer does GN'R have? OR ANY OF THESE BANDS??

The one that started it all. Spreading gossip and insults since 1998.

Moderator: Metal Sludge

SchenkerFan
Headlining Clubs

Re: Realistically, how much longer does GN'R have? OR ANY OF THESE BANDS??

Post by SchenkerFan »

I've long given up on most of these bands. At this point some unreleased tracks from back in the day would probably be better than anything most of these bands can come up with nowadays.
Black Stuff
Doing Package Tours in Theaters

Post by Black Stuff »

FreddyFender wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 2:26 pm The bands will be dead, but the fans will be dead too.... so no one will be around to complain. :lol:
positive thinking! Love it!

:lol: :lol: :lol:
The power of Sludge compels you.
CrankerBait
Playing Shitty Clubs in a Van

Post by CrankerBait »

ijwthstd wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 10:57 am Rolling Stones ticket sales have pretty much stalled out completely. So many fans from the fan communities have died the past few years. They have finally outlived their fan base. Might be the best chance for last minute bargains since they were doing 100 show stadium tours.
I love the Stones, but I couldn't be fucked to go see them now. Maybe if I hadn't seen them 4 or 5 times in '89 or '94 I'd feel differently.
skinni
Playing Decent Clubs in a Bus

Post by skinni »

Black Stuff wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 11:43 am
FreddyFender wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 2:26 pm The bands will be dead, but the fans will be dead too.... so no one will be around to complain. :lol:
positive thinking! Love it!

:lol: :lol: :lol:
yup, FF said it best
Metal Sludge
The End All Be All

Post by Metal Sludge »

SterileEyes1 wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 7:15 pm It’s why I try to see them at least once every tour, you never know when it’ll be the last time. That’s how I approach all of the artists I love.

GN’R toured super hard last year. Changed their setlist significantly. Axl was in the best shape he’s been in probably 15 years. Vocally it’s not getting any easier for him, but it’s ridiculous to suggest that those guys aren’t working extremely hard to keep doing what they do.

Lately I’m just hoping none of my favorite bands resort to lipsyncing like apparently Don Henley has. It would suck if audiences accepted that from GN’R, Metallica, etc.

But who knows how long it can go? 20 years ago I never could’ve imagined Metallica playing at this level in their 60s, GN’R still doing 3 hour shows in 2024, etc.

Hardly any bands at their level retire voluntarily, that’s for sure. If the audiences keep coming and their throats and bodies keep functioning reasonably well I wouldn’t be surprised if they were still going in 15-20 years.
I agree wholeheartedly with this!
I have seen The Rolling Stones 6 times, starting in 1978 with Some Girls, my 7th show will be in July, because I have to go. This could be the last time, maybe the last time, I don't know?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gdFQtbX ... =ABKCOVEVO
Ok that was cheesy, but true.

I didn't see Tom Petty at The Hollywood Bowl, because the shows were on Monday and Tuesday, had to work, lazy, pick your excuse, but Thursday morning, he was dead. No one saw that coming! I was devastated.

I missed a Metallica show last year, but the older guys have 10 or 20 years on them, I think we got a little time?
I won't miss them again, and the 40th Anniversary show in SF was epic! That city was crazy that weekend and I've never seen anything like it!
Bono Nettencourt
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by Bono Nettencourt »

CrankerBait wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:56 pm
ijwthstd wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 10:57 am Rolling Stones ticket sales have pretty much stalled out completely. So many fans from the fan communities have died the past few years. They have finally outlived their fan base. Might be the best chance for last minute bargains since they were doing 100 show stadium tours.
I love the Stones, but I couldn't be fucked to go see them now. Maybe if I hadn't seen them 4 or 5 times in '89 or '94 I'd feel differently.
I saw them in 02 and felt like they were past their prime. They're basically miming to whatever Chuck Leavell's Rolling Stones Orchestra is playing behind them now.
ijwthstd wrote: obviously you take this way too seriously and were deeply affected by what transpired in the early 1990's and hopefully you are discussing these issues with a therapist in addition to other fans on music message boards.
SterileEyes1
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by SterileEyes1 »

Metal Sludge wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 7:36 pm
SterileEyes1 wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 7:15 pm It’s why I try to see them at least once every tour, you never know when it’ll be the last time. That’s how I approach all of the artists I love.

GN’R toured super hard last year. Changed their setlist significantly. Axl was in the best shape he’s been in probably 15 years. Vocally it’s not getting any easier for him, but it’s ridiculous to suggest that those guys aren’t working extremely hard to keep doing what they do.

Lately I’m just hoping none of my favorite bands resort to lipsyncing like apparently Don Henley has. It would suck if audiences accepted that from GN’R, Metallica, etc.

But who knows how long it can go? 20 years ago I never could’ve imagined Metallica playing at this level in their 60s, GN’R still doing 3 hour shows in 2024, etc.

Hardly any bands at their level retire voluntarily, that’s for sure. If the audiences keep coming and their throats and bodies keep functioning reasonably well I wouldn’t be surprised if they were still going in 15-20 years.
I have seen The Rolling Stones 6 times, starting in 1978 with Some Girls, my 7th show will be in July, because I have to go. This could be the last time, maybe the last time, I don't know?

I didn't see Tom Petty at The Hollywood Bowl, because the shows were on Monday and Tuesday, had to work, lazy, pick your excuse, but Thursday morning, he was dead. No one saw that coming! I was devastated.

I missed a Metallica show last year, but the older guys have 10 or 20 years on them, I think we got a little time?
I won't miss them again, and the 40th Anniversary show in SF was epic! That city was crazy that weekend and I've never seen anything like it!

That was wonderfully cheesy! :lol: I finally saw the Stones in 2019. Charlie was my favorite part of the show, and, yeah, glad I saw him while I still could!

That Metallica 40th weekend was so awesome. I remember thinking it was wild that they’d go through that much trouble re-learning all those random songs for a one-off weekend, then a year later they put that album out and they’re in the best physical shape I’ve ever seen them. Who knows maybe we’ll get to witness them at 80 still pulling off “Battery” somewhat convincingly.

The Tom Petty thing…I actually dragged a friend of mine to the Berkeley show just before Hollywood Bowl. I’d seen him earlier that year at a festival in Napa and something was clearly off. He still did a great set, but was obviously slurring his words between songs and had a thick beard, didn’t take his sunglasses off the whole show. Told my friend, “Better go now, you might not get another chance” and a few weeks later he was gone.
My Video Covers: https://www.youtube.com/@therealjeffstein/

"Diary Of A Madman"
"Aja"
"Atlas, Rise!"
“Sludge Factory”
"Locomotive"

My Original Music: https://jeffstein.bandcamp.com
Metal Sludge
The End All Be All

Post by Metal Sludge »

SterileEyes1 wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2024 9:32 am
Metal Sludge wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 7:36 pm

That was wonderfully cheesy! :lol: I finally saw the Stones in 2019. Charlie was my favorite part of the show, and, yeah, glad I saw him while I still could!

That Metallica 40th weekend was so awesome. I remember thinking it was wild that they’d go through that much trouble re-learning all those random songs for a one-off weekend, then a year later they put that album out and they’re in the best physical shape I’ve ever seen them. Who knows maybe we’ll get to witness them at 80 still pulling off “Battery” somewhat convincingly.

The Tom Petty thing…I actually dragged a friend of mine to the Berkeley show just before Hollywood Bowl. I’d seen him earlier that year at a festival in Napa and something was clearly off. He still did a great set, but was obviously slurring his words between songs and had a thick beard, didn’t take his sunglasses off the whole show. Told my friend, “Better go now, you might not get another chance” and a few weeks later he was gone.
Oh wow! I have never seen anything like the city of San Francisco for Metallica's 40th Anniversary! People came from all over the world. When we landed at the airport, there were some people that came from Germany in Metallica t shirts. And all weekend, there were people in their 40's and 50's everywhere in Metallica t shirts!
The whole city was Metallica everywhere! Even the street flags? I don't know what you call them? The banners on the street lights?
It was incredible and we had such a great time!