40 years ago, went to my first concert....

The one that started it all. Spreading gossip and insults since 1998.

Moderator: Metal Sludge

daveg
MSX Tour Support Act

40 years ago, went to my first concert....

Post by daveg »

April 19 1984
Van Halen in Montreal.
sadly, I have almost no memory of it, even though I was completely sober.
Took a bus tour from Ottawa. Anyone remember Big Man Chappy Tours :D
I stole the 45 bucks from my parents for the ticket and 2 hour bus ride. That whole package would be about 2 grand now.

Is pretty cool that this show is basically the best video of that entire tour.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-90SPx6 ... nStore.com

Anyone else have their first show on YT.
JamesHetfieldsAcneScars
Cockblocked by Poison

Re: 40 years ago, went to my first concert....

Post by JamesHetfieldsAcneScars »

But sir, how do you not remember any of it? How old were you? You said you took a bus, makes me wonder did you go by yourself?
HottKarl777
Playing Decent Clubs in a Bus

Post by HottKarl777 »

My first concert was Van Hagar 2 years later Omaha May 27 1986. I can't fucking believe how old I am now.
Gibsonite
Cockblocked by Poison

Post by Gibsonite »

April 16, 39 years ago. Triumph Thunder Seven tour with Helix opening. Great show
daveg
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by daveg »

JamesHetfieldsAcneScars wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 6:59 pm But sir, how do you not remember any of it? How old were you? You said you took a bus, makes me wonder did you go by yourself?
Was 14. Took me weeks to convince my mother to let me go. She finally did, but she was coming with me. Few days before, she allowed me to take a friend instead.
I do remember everyone getting high on the 2 hour bus ride...that probably explains it.

I did go see Kim Mitchel at a high school gym a few weeks later and I remember that like it was yesterday :shock:
cowpins
Platinum Artist

Post by cowpins »

Very cool that you got the YT of this.
"bus problems come on man so boring we have our bus its awesome and we r watching judge judy on it right now tour is going great 14 more shows to go see you out there rockin peeps not you garbageman you stay home" - HueyRamone, 7/3/12
Love_Industry
Signed to a Major Label Multi-Album Deal

Post by Love_Industry »

Gibsonite wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 7:43 pm April 16, 39 years ago. Triumph Thunder Seven tour with Helix opening. Great show
41 years ago, Iron Maiden on the World Piece Tour with Rock Goddess opening. Also a great show.
HottKarl777

Post by HottKarl777 »

cowpins wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:35 am Very cool that you got the YT of this.

Dude that's how I feel about Live Without A Net. What an excellent video from the peak Van Hagar year, which was the first year to be honest.
Bono Nettencourt
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by Bono Nettencourt »

Right, or he wouldn't remember it.
ijwthstd wrote: obviously you take this way too seriously and were deeply affected by what transpired in the early 1990's and hopefully you are discussing these issues with a therapist in addition to other fans on music message boards.
GreatWhiteSnake
Playing a Package Tour in Arenas

Post by GreatWhiteSnake »

45 years ago. Either Firefall or Pablo Cruise...
GWS video of the week Seven Seconds of Shred https://youtu.be/6DAqH3eKqEM?si=N2I9eU92_ovsb69d updated 3/9/24
https://soundcloud.com/crunch-104998557
BDG135
Platinum Artist

Post by BDG135 »

First big name concert I remember was in '87. The Monkees with Weird Al as the opener. I was 9.
Not everybody is on MetalShit.com and Blabberface fuckin’ dot net! Who cares? There’s such a small amount of people that do that. - Blotz
Bono Nettencourt
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by Bono Nettencourt »

HottKarl777 wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 5:30 am

Dude that's how I feel about Live Without A Net. What an excellent video from the peak Van Hagar year, which was the first year to be honest.
Almost like he was inferior to the guy he replaced and as the band soldiered on with him he made them worse.
ijwthstd wrote: obviously you take this way too seriously and were deeply affected by what transpired in the early 1990's and hopefully you are discussing these issues with a therapist in addition to other fans on music message boards.
keyofgee
Headlining Clubs

Post by keyofgee »

my first concert other than seeing "freefare" at school was KISS in 1978. The now iconic tour. It blew my young mind away.
TooOldToCare
Playing Shitty Clubs in a Van

Post by TooOldToCare »

I think a first concert thread was on Sludge years ago.

Mine was The Village People when I was 10. A bunch of moms dragged a bunch of kids with them to see this. I was too young to get the gay thing. I just knew I heard a few songs on the radio. My second concert, a few months later, was KISS.

I remember going to McDonald's after the KISS show. All of us kids were sitting in the back of a pickup truck eating when a stoner chick from the concert came up to us, high af, and said, "Where is Dr. Love?" My very unhip mother, who is now 84 years old, said, "I think he is back at the arena." I remember being embarrassed by that at 10 years old.
keyofgee
Headlining Clubs

Post by keyofgee »

TooOldToCare wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 1:39 pm I think a first concert thread was on Sludge years ago.

Mine was The Village People when I was 10. A bunch of moms dragged a bunch of kids with them to see this. I was too young to get the gay thing. I just knew I heard a few songs on the radio. My second concert, a few months later, was KISS.

I remember going to McDonald's after the KISS show. All of us kids were sitting in the back of a pickup truck eating when a stoner chick from the concert came up to us, high af, and said, "Where is Dr. Love?" My very unhip mother, who is now 84 years old, said, "I think he is back at the arena." I remember being embarrassed by that at 10 years old.
the village ppl were cool and yea I didn't get the gay theme stuff either back then. It's still good music for the time and I believe I saw them on the Captain and Tennille show.
GoodJudge

Post by GoodJudge »

My niece went to her first show this week, w/my siater. Someone called Tate McRae at what used to be Hammersmith Odeon. Never heard of her but then I'm not a teenage girl. That was the venue for my first proper gig too - Maiden 7th Tour Of..., Dec 88. Maybe she'll go on to see a thousand or more bands too.
metalmetalrdu
Saving Up For a Guitar

Post by metalmetalrdu »

My first real show was November 21, 1988 - Poison and Britny Fox at Louisville Gardens. I was 14. I had seen a few shows before that with my parents: Beach Boys, Everly Brothers, Mel Tillis.

Tonight my wife and I are taking our 12-year-old daughter to her first club show to see Shinyribs. I think it will become a lifelong memory for her.
TooOldToCare
Playing Shitty Clubs in a Van

Post by TooOldToCare »

keyofgee wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 7:23 am
TooOldToCare wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 1:39 pm I think a first concert thread was on Sludge years ago.

the village ppl were cool and yea I didn't get the gay theme stuff either back then. It's still good music for the time and I believe I saw them on the Captain and Tennille show.
All of it was totally Dazed and Confused. 1976-77ish, the clothes, the vibe, the 6 kids in the back cab of a pickup truck with no seat belts. What a great era.
MetalSludgeCEO
Playing First Stage at SludgeFest

Post by MetalSludgeCEO »

I just celebrated my 40th as well...

It was sometime in Feb. 1984, that I saw the KISS "Lick It Up" tour, with Vandenberg and Heaven in Green Bay at Brown County Arena.

A few weeks later, (March 8th 1984) I saw Ozzy on the "Bark At The Moon" tour, with Motley Crue "SATD" opening... that was the game changer. That was in Madison.

In the summer of 1984, I saw Van Halen on the "1984" tour, and that sealed it. Forget where... maybe Madison as well.

Soon after, I saw Ratt on the "Out Of The Cellar" tour... and I think Mama's Boys opened. Thinking Milwaukee...

What followed was 2-3 years of non-stop buying records, magazines and going to concerts...

Simultaneously, I was determined as F#@k, that I was going to be a singer, go on tour, get signed, radio, MTV, etc.,..

Every single thought (not a dream) I had and more, all came to fruition over time... with the exception of going Gold or Platinum.

40 years later... and here I am... who'da thunk!

$tEvil
TheImpaler9
Learning KISS Riffs

Post by TheImpaler9 »

Mine was 40 years ago as well in July. I saw Huey Lewis & The News with Juice Newton opening at the North Dakota State Fair.