You lyrics lovers explain something to me

The one that started it all. Spreading gossip and insults since 1998.

Moderator: Metal Sludge

SchenkerFan
Headlining Clubs

You lyrics lovers explain something to me

Post by SchenkerFan »

How do bad lyrics make a song less good? I never understood this. Yes, there are some dumb lyrics out there. I give zero shits about it.

I listen to the music and don't care much for the words. Most of the time I'm not even paying attention to them. It's rock music. This genre started with "1-2-3 o'clock, 4 o'clock, rock". If you wanna think, go read a book.
Spongie
Playing Shitty Clubs in a Van

Re: You lyrics lovers explain something to me

Post by Spongie »

Preach it brother.

Psychobolia.com
Playing a Package Tour in Arenas
Location: Paris, France, land of sleaze and cheese, wine and whine

Post by Psychobolia.com »

I can agree, to a certain extent.

However, had Brandon been an instrumental track, that Crüe album would probably be held in higher esteem by the fans!
SchenkerFan
Headlining Clubs

Post by SchenkerFan »

Psychobolia.com wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 10:56 am I can agree, to a certain extent.

However, had Brandon been an instrumental track, that Crüe album would probably be held in higher esteem by the fans!
There are always exceptions of course.
Rocker4Real
Recording Your Demo

Post by Rocker4Real »

It usually doesn't. Sometimes it adds more cheese and that's funny. There are certain instances I wish they could have changed one line....like "French kiss the morning".
DangerZone
Debut Album Goes Gold

Post by DangerZone »

I wouldn’t even know where to begin with this
Chip Z'Hoy
Playing First Stage at SludgeFest

Post by Chip Z'Hoy »

SchenkerFan wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 9:57 am How do bad lyrics make a song less good? I never understood this. Yes, there are some dumb lyrics out there. I give zero shits about it.

I listen to the music and don't care much for the words. Most of the time I'm not even paying attention to them. It's rock music. This genre started with "1-2-3 o'clock, 4 o'clock, rock". If you wanna think, go read a book.
Simple =/= stupid

"Rock Around the Clock" is simple.

"Burn Bitch Burn" is stupid.

But I like "BBB," knowing it's dumber than shit.

Paul Simon probably has incredible lyrics but I'll never know because I won't listen to that yuppie-ass crap.
LAglamrocker wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 3:56 pmClub was packed with Metal Edge fans 18-30..no stupid Rush Roll The Bones dipsh*ts
EyeDocOfRock
Playing Decent Clubs in a Bus

Post by EyeDocOfRock »

“I got a $100 bill ….

And a bottle of lotion “

😂😂😂😂😂
Wild Obsession
Debut Album Goes Gold

Post by Wild Obsession »

I'll take stupid lyrics over stupid rockers trying to be "deep"......i.e. Skid Row "Quicksand Jesus"......
Love_Industry
Signed to a Major Label Multi-Album Deal

Post by Love_Industry »

Wild Obsession wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 12:01 pm I'll take stupid lyrics over stupid rockers trying to be "deep"......i.e. Skid Row "Quicksand Jesus"......
yeah... or Kiss on most of Carnival of Souls. "Heartless, rich and greedy watch the churches rape the needy" would be a literal, stupid lyric even if it didn't come from the man who wants someone to hold on to his rocket, or lick his candy cane.
Chip Z'Hoy

Post by Chip Z'Hoy »

Wild Obsession wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 12:01 pm I'll take stupid lyrics over stupid rockers trying to be "deep"......i.e. Skid Row "Quicksand Jesus"......
I love that song but I have almost ZERO idea what it's about.

I'm glad they moved on from walking hand in hand in the sand but what the hell is a Quicksand Jesus.
LAglamrocker wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 3:56 pmClub was packed with Metal Edge fans 18-30..no stupid Rush Roll The Bones dipsh*ts
keyofgee
Headlining Clubs

Post by keyofgee »

I must be from a different planet. The whole package has to work in its content or it loses me...I read the lyrics, I see what the artist is saying, or trying to say. A song to me is a mini book. It tells a story. Ok, there are some really stupid lyrics out there and I realize its just "word play'" for some. But some are trying to express a feeling or a moment. Just for a few examples. "Operator" by Jim Croce. It's a great break up/cheating song. It takes place in a phonebooth between a guy and an operator on the other end with a guy thinking about his ex girl and his ex old friend Ray.

Edmund Fitzgerald. The whole haunting song. Music and lyrics... a sad but great story telling of an actual event.

moving on to the metal world.
How did Rob and the guys predict we would have satellites to "keep the country clean"? it's a warning years before its time. (I know we had spy satellites at the time but the song is more about people control.)

Rock and roll children..Dio. what a great love story but the kids got caught up in the night. night means the things of the world.

KISS....Hide your heart. Another great love story. It would make a great classic movie.

Johnny saw her riding on a street car named Desire
His fate was sealed
She could see him coming like a hundred other liars
It was no big deal
Rosa had a lover on the shady side of town
Tito, he was king of the streets
She was his possession like a jewel on his crown
Johnny better run, better run

I could go on but I am sure my chops are getting busted over this post...lol
Danzig in the Dark

Post by Danzig in the Dark »

keyofgee wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 5:32 am I must be from a different planet. The whole package has to work in its content or it loses me...I read the lyrics, I see what the artist is saying, or trying to say. A song to me is a mini book. It tells a story. Ok, there are some really stupid lyrics out there and I realize its just "word play'" for some. But some are trying to express a feeling or a moment. Just for a few examples. "Operator" by Jim Croce. It's a great break up/cheating song. It takes place in a phonebooth between a guy and an operator on the other end with a guy thinking about his ex girl and his ex old friend Ray.

Edmund Fitzgerald. The whole haunting song. Music and lyrics... a sad but great story telling of an actual event.

moving on to the metal world.
How did Rob and the guys predict we would have satellites to "keep the country clean"? it's a warning years before its time. (I know we had spy satellites at the time but the song is more about people control.)

Rock and roll children..Dio. what a great love story but the kids got caught up in the night. night means the things of the world.

KISS....Hide your heart. Another great love story. It would make a great classic movie.

Johnny saw her riding on a street car named Desire
His fate was sealed
She could see him coming like a hundred other liars
It was no big deal
Rosa had a lover on the shady side of town
Tito, he was king of the streets
She was his possession like a jewel on his crown
Johnny better run, better run

I could go on but I am sure my chops are getting busted over this post...lol
You were doing great... until KISS.
ImageImage
GoodJudge

Post by GoodJudge »

Love_Industry wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 1:37 pm
yeah... or Kiss on most of Carnival of Souls. "Heartless, rich and greedy watch the churches rape the needy" would be a literal, stupid lyric even if it didn't come from the man who wants someone to hold on to his rocket, or lick his candy cane.
Plus "Heartless, rich and greedy" is $immon$' life-long personal mission statement.
TravisBicklesMohawk
Headlining a Theater Tour

Post by TravisBicklesMohawk »

Excellent thread!

I guess bad lyrics are subjective anyway. Stairway to Heaven has got loads of wtf lyrics and nobody seems to care. It's a classic song.

And most lyrics to popular songs are misinterpreted anyway. The real meaning has gotten completely lost. Under the Bridge by the Chili Peppers in a great example of this.
The Tao of Pooh
Image Image
exitflagger

Post by exitflagger »

"If you could hear me think
This is what I'd say
I'm not thinking
I am talking
Cuz thinking is different from talking"

Ruined that one. You're welcome.
ImageImage
Drunk Mazeraturd wrote: ...but hes going to run and hes going to win.
veritas
Cockblocked by Poison

Post by veritas »

well, the answer is because lyrics are a huge part of a song.

Comfortably Numb is a great song musically, but it's especially moving or great because of the lyrics.
Conversely, if the song had AC/DC lyrics to, I dunno, pick Givin' the Dog a Bone, it WOULD be diminished and have less impact.

A song is ideal when the music matches the lyrics. When there is a mismatch, there is (to me) a dilution of the song.

I've never understood those who don't care about lyrics in a song ..... it's like being a functional illiterate.
MetalSludgeCEO

Post by MetalSludgeCEO »

"Kurt Cobain is Gone, But I'm Back, Wearing Leather Pants and a Backwards Hat"

$tEvil
dmbrocker
Location: Rockin’ with Amber, Bradie, Laurine, Dokken, Ratt, Motley, Aerosmith, Rush, Poison…

Post by dmbrocker »

Nah, bad lyrics don't ruin a song for me. It's all about the music.
LAglamrocker wrote: Trixter is awesome but everyone has seen After The Rain video correct? That’s one of first things I’m going thank God for
sirthx2
Doing 10 Questions with Metal Sludge

Post by sirthx2 »

SchenkerFan wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 9:57 am How do bad lyrics make a song less good? I never understood this. Yes, there are some dumb lyrics out there. I give zero shits about it.

For me, they don't have to be great, but they have to be better than your average Jr. High garage band. (RATT, I'm looking in your direction) I want to be surprised by lyrics & not be able to think like an idiot and predict every rhyme

Being young, poor, angry and doing drugs seems to be a good place to start. Also helps if you are bright. Sixx is no Rhodes Scholar and can't compete in a 2nd grade spelling bee, but he is bright & had interesting things to say and unique perspective. Until he cleaned up.

Once in a while I'll listen to songs only for the lyrics. Jason Isbell, Gordon Lightfoot etc. but I'm less likely to crank them in the car.
"Most rock journalism is people who can't write, interviewing people who can't talk, for people who can't read." - Frank Zappa

"If you don't like The Darkness, you suck at music listening." - Michelish circa 2021
Darrien
Headlining Clubs

Post by Darrien »

Having a thread on here where people say lyrics don't matter really helps me make sense of why there's praise for shit like Skid Row's The Gangs All Here, Extreme's Rise, or the new Ace Frehley. Some people just love their predictable couplets of generic lyrics because it's safe, and they don't have to think too hard about the message. It's McDonald's for music lovers; familiar, goes down easy but is ultimately garbage.

As I've gotten older, I've just wanted more out of lyrics. Surprise me, don't rhyme because you have to, tell the story first, and rhyme when you need to, if at all.
I find a song to be refreshing when it flows without predicting every next turn.
Kind of sad you equate having to think to reading a book lol.
Dayman...fighter of the Nightman..
SchenkerFan
Headlining Clubs

Post by SchenkerFan »

Darrien wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 10:50 am Having a thread on here where people say lyrics don't matter really helps me make sense of why there's praise for shit like Skid Row's The Gangs All Here, Extreme's Rise, or the new Ace Frehley. Some people just love their predictable couplets of generic lyrics because it's safe, and they don't have to think too hard about the message. It's McDonald's for music lovers; familiar, goes down easy but is ultimately garbage.

As I've gotten older, I've just wanted more out of lyrics. Surprise me, don't rhyme because you have to, tell the story first, and rhyme when you need to, if at all.
I find a song to be refreshing when it flows without predicting every next turn.
Kind of sad you equate having to think to reading a book lol.
Like I said, I don't love lyrics, I don't pay attention to them. Music is something that's on while I'm busy doing other things so no, I don't have time to pay attention to what they're actually singing.
GoodJudge

Post by GoodJudge »

sirthx2 wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 9:32 am I want to be surprised by lyrics & not be able to think like an idiot and predict every rhyme
1994, watching The Almighty, I was on the barrier in front of guitarist Pete Freezin'. He handed me a pick cos I was singing along to everything. I knew most of the choruses but actually had no idea of a lot of the verses, but the rhymes and phrases were so obvious that it was easy to predict and sing correctly, on the beat or a fraction of a second behind.
rubysdad
Having Slaughter Open for You

Post by rubysdad »

Great lyrics won’t save a shit tune.
But can add heaps to a great one.

As I’ve aged though, and learnt more about the world and myself, lyrics I screamed in my twenties make me cringe now.

And , Dio’s words are as relevant now as when they were written.
Genius,