Lion - Dangerous Attraction appreciation thread

The one that started it all. Spreading gossip and insults since 1998.

Moderator: Metal Sludge

SchenkerFan
Headlining Clubs

Lion - Dangerous Attraction appreciation thread

Post by SchenkerFan »

These guys were definitely Z-listers, but this is what 80s metal should sound like. Some mindblowing guitar solos by Aldrich on this one.
MetalSludgeCEO
Playing First Stage at SludgeFest

Re: Lion - Dangerous Attraction appreciation thread

Post by MetalSludgeCEO »

Ironic...

I was at a birthday party on Saturday, and ended up talking to LION bassist Jerry Best for an hour.

To my recollection, we had never met previously, but we share a ton of common past... pretty cool guy.

The one thing I recalled to him was attending a LION listening party for 1 of their releases, in either 1987 or 1988... it was at Capitol Records in the basement.

$tEvil
Wild Obsession
Debut Album Goes Gold

Post by Wild Obsession »

The lead singers (soulless) Euro-Metal vocal style is beyond annoying, and the reason why I could not get into Lion.
SchenkerFan
Headlining Clubs

Post by SchenkerFan »

Wild Obsession wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 8:57 am The lead singers (soulless) Euro-Metal vocal style is beyond annoying, and the reason why I could not get into Lion.
Funny, I've seen this mentioned several times over the years. I always felt like Kal Swan was a breath of fresh air when everyone was trying to be a high pitched screamer.
DangerZone
Debut Album Goes Gold

Post by DangerZone »

it’s a guitar tour de force.
But i agree, the vocals are a bit generic
Brainy Lane
Recording Debut Album

Post by Brainy Lane »

Only heard them on the Transformers soundtrack.
Their version of the the theme song is awesome
HoldenSSV
Passing Out Band Flyers

Post by HoldenSSV »

Brainy Lane wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 12:59 pm Only heard them on the Transformers soundtrack.
I only know about them from The Wraith soundtrack. Cool tune.
"Copying off of one person is called plagiarism.
Copying off of ten people is called research."
str
Playing Frat Parties

Post by str »

HoldenSSV wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 2:36 pm
Brainy Lane wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 12:59 pm Only heard them on the Transformers soundtrack.
I only know about them from The Wraith soundtrack. Cool tune.
They might be better known for Friday The 13th IV :
https://youtube.com/watch?v=GWHpWtLsENQ ... IDEzdGg%3D
str
Playing Frat Parties

Post by str »

MetalSludgeCEO wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 8:50 am Ironic...

I was at a birthday party on Saturday, and ended up talking to LION bassist Jerry Best for an hour.

To my recollection, we had never met previously, but we share a ton of common past... pretty cool guy.

The one thing I recalled to him was attending a LION listening party for 1 of their releases, in either 1987 or 1988... it was at Capitol Records in the basement.

$tEvil
They were at one point signed to the same Grand Slamm label that you've mentioned before
MetalSludgeCEO
Playing First Stage at SludgeFest

Post by MetalSludgeCEO »

str wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 5:08 pm
MetalSludgeCEO wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 8:50 am Ironic...

$tEvil
They were at one point signed to the same Grand Slamm label that you've mentioned before

"""""""""""""""""""They were at one point signed to the same Grand Slamm label that you've mentioned before"""""""""""""""""

Yeah... he mentioned that the other night... and we shared a few related tidbits!

$tEvil
WCiezak
Passing Out Band Flyers

Post by WCiezak »

Glad I found flac copies somewhere online about 18 years ago. Some really good songs. It was very frustrating that I didn't even know these albums existed after I watched The Final Chapter about 30 years ago.
Love_Industry
Signed to a Major Label Multi-Album Deal

Post by Love_Industry »

SchenkerFan wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 9:52 am
Wild Obsession wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 8:57 am The lead singers (soulless) Euro-Metal vocal style is beyond annoying, and the reason why I could not get into Lion.
Funny, I've seen this mentioned several times over the years. I always felt like Kal Swan was a breath of fresh air when everyone was trying to be a high pitched screamer.
Not annoying as say Mike Tramp or Dizzy Dean Davidson, but Swan is not a favorite either. Lion's lyrics also suck, I mean Armed and Dangerous, Hard'N Heavy and Powerlove? That said the album is great when it comes to songs and musicianship and their other album Trouble in Angel City is almost as good.

I also like Swan and Aldrich's next band Bad Moon Rising, they have three albums out.
SchenkerFan
Headlining Clubs

Post by SchenkerFan »

Love_Industry wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 4:19 am
SchenkerFan wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 9:52 am
Not annoying as say Mike Tramp or Dizzy Dean Davidson, but Swan is not a favorite either. Lion's lyrics also suck, I mean Armed and Dangerous, Hard'N Heavy and Powerlove? That said the album is great when it comes to songs and musicianship and their other album Trouble in Angel City is almost as good.

I also like Swan and Aldrich's next band Bad Moon Rising, they have three albums out.
I've heard the first BMR album. Solid record, though not as good as Dangerous Attraction. The sound is pretty much the same, they could've just kept the band name.
RaceFan3
Debut Album Goes Gold

Post by RaceFan3 »

Was also a fan of their second album, Trouble in Angel City.

Snagged it of course due to Love is a Lie being on the Friday the 13th IV soundtrack (and the scene with Crispin Glover's ridiculous dancing, even though Love is a Lie wasn't the song he was dancing to), and endd up digging the whole record.

Always liked Kal Swan's vox. He did an album with Tytan at the far ass-end of the NWOBHM in '85 that was pretty good.
*I kinda want a new screenname. Seriously. I barely watch racing anymore. :x
whiteowl yesterday
Playing Decent Clubs in a Bus

Post by whiteowl yesterday »

i have both of their cds and love them both.
"artist formerly known as midnighttoker"
JizzySynatra
Playing Decent Clubs in a Bus

Post by JizzySynatra »

The guitar tone on that album is killer. Pretty damn heavy for 1987 hard rock. Aldridge never really recaptured that tone.