This Bovine Joni doc is great!

The one that started it all. Spreading gossip and insults since 1998.

Moderator: Metal Sludge

Chip Z'Hoy
Playing First Stage at SludgeFest

This Bovine Joni doc is great!

Post by Chip Z'Hoy »

Very thorough so far. I'm really enjoying it.
LAglamrocker wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 3:56 pmClub was packed with Metal Edge fans 18-30..no stupid Rush Roll The Bones dipsh*ts
Rocker4Real
Recording Your Demo

Re: This Bovine Joni doc is great!

Post by Rocker4Real »

The best part is the extra behind the scenes stuff from back in the day. As a long time fan, I've heard their story many times. No mention of Snake Sabo getting replaced by Richie. Others have said that was more of a record company decision to have Richie. No mention of Diane Lane either. This is the official narrative they want out there. Jon downplayed his partying at the peak by saying he couldn't do it as much because he's a singer. Richie made clear that a big reason why he left was because his influence in the band diminished due to Shanks.
Jason Jennifer Leigh
Headlining Clubs

Post by Jason Jennifer Leigh »

Too jumpy …. It’s 1987, it’s 2022, back to 2000, etc..

Richie left because of Shanks, Jon replaced Richie with Shanks … I’d quit too.

Team Richie
Jason Jennifer Leigh
Headlining Clubs

10 years later Shanks is doing the same thing to Phil X.
gtrjay
Signed to a Major Label Multi-Album Deal

Post by gtrjay »

Wife and I watched it tonight. 2 down 2 to go.

So far digging it.

The way I see it is we know Jon is an ego maniac. But on a national / global scale this is the best we get to any notice to any bands from the early days. He mentioned they opened for a band named Ratt. I had to chuckle thinking Blotzer must be boozing it up hard tonight. Critics called them a copycat of quiet riot. Laughable at best.
I’m completely in favor of the separation of Church and State. These two institutions screw us up enough on their own, so both of them together is certain death.
George Carlin - Modern Philosopher
Ozzy Stradlin
Playing Decent Clubs in a Bus

Post by Ozzy Stradlin »

How much time do they spend on the first two albums, or do they even bother mentioning them?
Indy_Rob
Headlining a Theater Tour

Post by Indy_Rob »

Ozzy Stradlin wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 7:47 pm How much time do they spend on the first two albums, or do they even bother mentioning them?
Quite a bit, actually. First episode.
MOON
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by MOON »

I just finished it. Thought it was awesome!
gtrjay

Post by gtrjay »

MOON wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:19 pm I just finished it. Thought it was awesome!
Yes!
Just finished #3 and last one tomorrow.
Overall it was great. I mean next to Maiden, Jovi is truly a global band. Especially from a commercial scale. It was their time to tell their story.
I’m completely in favor of the separation of Church and State. These two institutions screw us up enough on their own, so both of them together is certain death.
Jason Jennifer Leigh
Headlining Clubs

I’m watching it again, not as jumpy as I thought the first time around.

It’s great, part 2 is my favorite.
Chip Z'Hoy
Playing First Stage at SludgeFest

Post by Chip Z'Hoy »

Jason Jennifer Leigh wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2024 7:30 pm I’m watching it again, not as jumpy as I thought the first time around.
I thought the structure really worked. A fully chronological doc would've interested fans but might've lost more casual viewers. Weaving the vocal surgery story within that was to presumably hold onto them.

I still got the last episode to watch but thus far, it's been really good and I'm not even a huge Bon Jovi fan.

Surprisingly funny at times too, like Dave Bryan describing Alec Jon Such with "He had that... shit on his chin."
LAglamrocker wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 3:56 pmClub was packed with Metal Edge fans 18-30..no stupid Rush Roll The Bones dipsh*ts
Demon Kogure
Passing Out Band Flyers

Post by Demon Kogure »

Chip Z'Hoy wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2024 8:39 am Dave Bryan describing Alec Jon Such with "He had that... shit on his chin."
Pfft. Rashbaum had that shit on his head
gtrjay

Post by gtrjay »

Demon Kogure wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2024 11:15 am
Chip Z'Hoy wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2024 8:39 am Dave Bryan describing Alec Jon Such with "He had that... shit on his chin."
Pfft. Rashbaum had that shit on his head
:lol:
Bono Nettencourt
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by Bono Nettencourt »

I liked Richies take that they broke out after VH fell apart. Never thought of it that way before, but it is kinda what happened.
ijwthstd wrote: obviously you take this way too seriously and were deeply affected by what transpired in the early 1990's and hopefully you are discussing these issues with a therapist in addition to other fans on music message boards.
Mister Freeze
Platinum Artist

Post by Mister Freeze »

I'm in the middle of episode 3. I'm enjoying it so far.

1. The "achieving success" part (Slippery/NJ) felt too much like a big montage to me. Would've liked more details and stories woven into the random backstage footage and surface-level news clips mentioning how big they are. (Yawn.) The crisis about the tour-ending Central America shows was great. More stuff like that would've been cool.

2. No mention of Dorothea until she was needed for the big "that wasn't great" line. A few mentions of them being "on and off" but zero perspective on what it's like to be her while her soulmate was sowing wild oats.

3. Had no idea Richie came up with the hook for "Bad Medicine."

4. The Stranger In This Town music ages WELL.

5. Desmond Child was in Russia for the Peace Festival?

6. Some outside perspective would be nice. Like somebody from MTV, for example, talking about how big the band was for the channel. Or somebody from an opening band, especially one that was part of the Moscow festival.

7. Is it just me, or did they actually downplay the "Living on a Prayer" phenomenon a bit?
skunklovestiger wrote: A comment like this needs a really useless piece of shit. Well maybe you are used to get fucked by your mother in the basement. It would be better if somebody just kills you useless asshole. Just killl yourself shithead.
pieceofme

Post by pieceofme »

How did I not know that Tico Torres is that much older than Jon!

I'm on the second episode now. About to watch the part about livin' on a prayer.

Edit. Always good seeing Vancouver represented! :)

Enjoying the series so far.
Last edited by pieceofme on Sun Apr 28, 2024 4:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GrayAntiMatter wrote:EVH

Zappa is pure cult status shit. He is to music what Bruce fucking Campbell is to acting....
Ozzy Stradlin
Playing Decent Clubs in a Bus

Post by Ozzy Stradlin »

I stopped watching a little past half-way through the second episode.

I’ve had enough of Jon Bon Bloviator kissing his own ass.

It’s a long puff piece.
Last edited by Ozzy Stradlin on Sat May 04, 2024 10:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bono Nettencourt
MSX Tour Support Act

Stay in the game... the underlying theme of the series is that we could eventually live in a world where Jon Bon Jovi no longer has a voice.
ijwthstd wrote: obviously you take this way too seriously and were deeply affected by what transpired in the early 1990's and hopefully you are discussing these issues with a therapist in addition to other fans on music message boards.
greengoblinrulz
Headlining Clubs

Post by greengoblinrulz »

Finished it today. Thought it was excellent.
Jons voice problems were a problem but I give him kudos for not tracking it like others.
Ritchie was definately pushed out by Shanks
Really tried to downplay the 80s contemporaries
Was hoping they'd get into why once the 90s started, Jon completely quit being an energetic frontman & became a stationary performer
Mister Freeze
Platinum Artist

Post by Mister Freeze »

Do you think there's a parallel universe in which Hulu is showing a four-part Britny Fox docuseries?
skunklovestiger wrote: A comment like this needs a really useless piece of shit. Well maybe you are used to get fucked by your mother in the basement. It would be better if somebody just kills you useless asshole. Just killl yourself shithead.
dmbrocker
Location: Rockin’ with Amber, Bradie, Laurine, Dokken, Ratt, Motley, Aerosmith, Rush, Poison…

Post by dmbrocker »

Mister Freeze wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2024 5:21 pm Do you think there's a parallel universe in which Hulu is showing a four-part Britny Fox docuseries?
Nah, think bigger. Netflix should be contacting Stevie about that Tuff docuseries any day now.
LAglamrocker wrote: Trixter is awesome but everyone has seen After The Rain video correct? That’s one of first things I’m going thank God for
War_in_D
Taking Music Lessons

Post by War_in_D »

Why were they all dropping so many F-bombs like they were Metallica or Motley Crue?
Jason Jennifer Leigh
Headlining Clubs

Did youse hear the new song “Living Proof” song in the background during the Strahan interview tonight?

From what I could hear it might be the closest to old school Jovi we’re ever going to get, Jon sounded great and I’m pretty sure I heard a talkbox … I was dreading this album until I heard that and now I’m positively GIDDY!!!
DangerZone
Debut Album Goes Gold

Post by DangerZone »

Bono Nettencourt wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2024 12:53 pm I liked Richies take that they broke out after VH fell apart. Never thought of it that way before, but it is kinda what happened.
VH?
pieceofme

Post by pieceofme »

DangerZone wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2024 9:27 pm
Bono Nettencourt wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2024 12:53 pm I liked Richies take that they broke out after VH fell apart. Never thought of it that way before, but it is kinda what happened.
VH?
Van Halen. The original line up
GrayAntiMatter wrote:EVH

Zappa is pure cult status shit. He is to music what Bruce fucking Campbell is to acting....
Rocker4Real
Recording Your Demo

Post by Rocker4Real »

I listened to an interview with Desmond Child recently. Apparently, after a writing session for Slippery, Bon Jovi's management tried to pay him off to not credit him on the album. He refused and told them to never do that again or he wouldn't return.
gtrjay

Post by gtrjay »

Rocker4Real wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 3:01 am I listened to an interview with Desmond Child recently. Apparently, after a writing session for Slippery, Bon Jovi's management tried to pay him off to not credit him on the album. He refused and told them to never do that again or he wouldn't return.
This^^^^

Jon found out and was pissed Mngt tried this.
Nobodyspecial
Winning Local Battle of the Bands

Post by Nobodyspecial »

Jason Jennifer Leigh wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2024 8:45 pm Did youse hear the new song “Living Proof” song in the background during the Strahan interview tonight?

From what I could hear it might be the closest to old school Jovi we’re ever going to get, Jon sounded great and I’m pretty sure I heard a talkbox … I was dreading this album until I heard that and now I’m positively GIDDY!!!
Speaking of that interview last night. That was a room full of Bon Jovi fans? Yeah right. Looked like they all had heard the new songs before as they were singing along.

A little bit of a rant here. I cannot stand it when they play music while the person is talking. There were multiple times in that interview where the background music was louder than Jon talking and it made it very hard to hear. I notice that allot these day and it drives me crazy.
El Vampiro Blanco
Headlining Clubs

Post by El Vampiro Blanco »

gtrjay wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 3:10 am
Rocker4Real wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 3:01 am I listened to an interview with Desmond Child recently. Apparently, after a writing session for Slippery, Bon Jovi's management tried to pay him off to not credit him on the album. He refused and told them to never do that again or he wouldn't return.
This^^^^

Jon found out and was pissed Mngt tried this.
Yeah, sure...
Far more likely Jon sent management to be the bad guy and see if Child would fall for it.
If he would have, Jon would have been happy...
Now that he did not, Jon was 'pissed' at his management. More likely pissed that they failed......
Bono Nettencourt
MSX Tour Support Act

Good for him. He protected his empire.