How much do touring musicians get paid?

The one that started it all. Spreading gossip and insults since 1998.

Moderator: Metal Sludge

gtrjay
Signed to a Major Label Multi-Album Deal

How much do touring musicians get paid?

Post by gtrjay »

Pretty good breakdown from session guy on road.

https://youtu.be/1rUvL_Lr3wA?si=ZLsPTHErc4s6k8rY
I’m completely in favor of the separation of Church and State. These two institutions screw us up enough on their own, so both of them together is certain death.
George Carlin - Modern Philosopher
HueyRamone
Playing First Stage at SludgeFest

Re: How much do touring musicians get paid?

Post by HueyRamone »

$766
Don't Damn Me wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2023 7:21 pm Dummy, are you aware that hydroxy-chloroqin and Ivermectin have since been proven effective?
LAglamrocker

Post by LAglamrocker »

Legacy 90s bands..did he mention what drummer in acoustic Trixter gets?

2000’ s bands how does Sugar Ray pay? Seems like singer would take 100%make the band rent cars and won’t give them his Carls Jr coupons

New hip bands like Ghost? How much around 15000$ per gig?

Ace Von Johnson-TPF-Lance Eric-Chad S have the dream gigs
Pay in pussy- Diet Coke- 7Eleven points for pizza
Jani Lane and Bret Michaels should form a band called "Nelson II"
Rocker4Real
Pimping Your Demo At Shows

Post by Rocker4Real »

What about the percussion/background vocals guy in Bon Jovi?
DemonFilth2001

Post by DemonFilth2001 »

Rocker4Real wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 8:47 am What about the percussion/background vocals guy in Bon Jovi?
Probably comes out of Tico’s cut.
KEYBOARD WARRIOR!
GreatWhiteSnake
Playing a Package Tour in Arenas

Post by GreatWhiteSnake »

Usually about three-fiddy...
GWS video of the week Seven Seconds of Shred https://youtu.be/6DAqH3eKqEM?si=N2I9eU92_ovsb69d updated 3/9/24
https://soundcloud.com/crunch-104998557
ijwthstd
Platinum Artist

Post by ijwthstd »

2 drink tickets good for a draft beer or a soda/bottled water.
"I went and saw Chickenfoot twice. I've suffered for being Sammy's friend" - Bob Forrest
Playboyliquor59
Recording Debut Album

Post by Playboyliquor59 »

Every band is different. I was just out for 3 months with a band playing a mix of sheds/arenas/theaters. We got a flat $500 a night, just the two bands on the tour and the one I was working for is well known, direct support.

The headliner didn’t use monitors but were gracious enough to carry and pay for the rental for us that I negotiated or we couldn’t make a sound in those rooms. I was tm’ing/doing Merch (when it wasn’t venue sell) and driving. We had a 15 passenger van, headliner had a band and crew bus + a 18 wheeler for production so I negotiated carrying our Merch and gear. Paid the headliners sound guy $150 a night which I’ve done many times before so we didn’t have to bring someone else, free money for him. Between meet & greets and Merch and everything else, made a ton of money, they are pretty bored. If I was with someone who wanted a bus or a bandwagon with a driver + the hotels and per diems for them etc it would have been detrimental.

Had a bunch of off days when the headliner was flying to do radio shows and stuff so we had the agent book club shows around every off day. I don’t think we had a single day off without a show because that’s when the problems happen. Did a week in Florida, some were door deals, some had decent guarantees but sold fuck ton of Merch and met fans/made some history in smaller towns with folks. Other 4 musicians in the band got $100 a show and a per diem + a buy out because we don’t need a crazy rider and we had full catering from the headliner. We just asked for beer/towels/ the basics. The techs helped us out if we had guitar/amp issues and wouldn’t accept money. At the end of the tour everyone got a nice check when things were calculated and now we can do a headliner and be in a bus again with new fans
LAglamrocker

Post by LAglamrocker »

^ rather have TPF career over this
TPF list of accomplishments and fun he seems to have is awesome

Blah Blah Blah bus blah blah 500$ blah blah blah must have catering not to starve blah blah Eddie Vedder is The Final Boss on my tour
pieceofme

Post by pieceofme »

Playboyliquor59 wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 12:29 pm Every band is different. I was just out for 3 months with a band playing a mix of sheds/arenas/theaters. We got a flat $500 a night, just the two bands on the tour and the one I was working for is well known, direct support.

The headliner didn’t use monitors but were gracious enough to carry and pay for the rental for us that I negotiated or we couldn’t make a sound in those rooms. I was tm’ing/doing Merch (when it wasn’t venue sell) and driving. We had a 15 passenger van, headliner had a band and crew bus + a 18 wheeler for production so I negotiated carrying our Merch and gear. Paid the headliners sound guy $150 a night which I’ve done many times before so we didn’t have to bring someone else, free money for him. Between meet & greets and Merch and everything else, made a ton of money, they are pretty bored. If I was with someone who wanted a bus or a bandwagon with a driver + the hotels and per diems for them etc it would have been detrimental.

Had a bunch of off days when the headliner was flying to do radio shows and stuff so we had the agent book club shows around every off day. I don’t think we had a single day off without a show because that’s when the problems happen. Did a week in Florida, some were door deals, some had decent guarantees but sold fuck ton of Merch and met fans/made some history in smaller towns with folks. Other 4 musicians in the band got $100 a show and a per diem + a buy out because we don’t need a crazy rider and we had full catering from the headliner. We just asked for beer/towels/ the basics. The techs helped us out if we had guitar/amp issues and wouldn’t accept money. At the end of the tour everyone got a nice check when things were calculated and now we can do a headliner and be in a bus again with new fans
Which band were you touring with for 3 months?
GrayAntiMatter wrote:EVH

Zappa is pure cult status shit. He is to music what Bruce fucking Campbell is to acting....
Bono Nettencourt
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by Bono Nettencourt »

HueyRamone wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 8:01 am$766
The number of the poor
ijwthstd wrote: obviously you take this way too seriously and were deeply affected by what transpired in the early 1990's and hopefully you are discussing these issues with a therapist in addition to other fans on music message boards.
BernieTaupson
Headlining Clubs

Post by BernieTaupson »

Whatever Frehley’s band currently get, it’s not enough.
gtrjay

Post by gtrjay »

pieceofme wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 3:32 pm
Playboyliquor59 wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 12:29 pm Every band is different. I was just out for 3 months with a band playing a mix of sheds/arenas/theaters. We got a flat $500 a night, just the two bands on the tour and the one I was working for is well known, direct support.

He was touring with Bobby Blotzer Ratt Experience
I’m completely in favor of the separation of Church and State. These two institutions screw us up enough on their own, so both of them together is certain death.
George Carlin - Modern Philosopher
sirthx2
Blowing Advance from Record Label

Post by sirthx2 »

I wonder what JBJ pays Phil X and is it (a lot) more than the bass player dude? Alec Jon Such is far easier to replace than Richie and actually adds a new element and spark, which makes me curious. I know they're actual 'bands members' now and not 'touring musicians', but still. They're not really band members are they?
"Most rock journalism is people who can't write, interviewing people who can't talk, for people who can't read." - Frank Zappa

"If you don't like The Darkness, you suck at music listening." - Michelish circa 2021
Rocker4Real

Post by Rocker4Real »

sirthx2 wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 5:35 am I wonder what JBJ pays Phil X and is it (a lot) more than the bass player dude? Alec Jon Such is far easier to replace than Richie and actually adds a new element and spark, which makes me curious. I know they're actual 'bands members' now and not 'touring musicians', but still. They're not really band members are they?
I think Jon has the band on salary and they come play when needed. The newest guy Everett may not be. Tico and Dave probably still get a cut of the merch money.
Bono Nettencourt
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by Bono Nettencourt »

Rocker4Real wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 6:36 am
sirthx2 wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 5:35 am I wonder what JBJ pays Phil X and is it (a lot) more than the bass player dude? Alec Jon Such is far easier to replace than Richie and actually adds a new element and spark, which makes me curious. I know they're actual 'bands members' now and not 'touring musicians', but still. They're not really band members are they?
I think Jon has the band on salary and they come play when needed. The newest guy Everett may not be. Tico and Dave probably still get a cut of the merch money.
That's BS. Tico and Dave have to be partners. Hugh probably is too.
ijwthstd wrote: obviously you take this way too seriously and were deeply affected by what transpired in the early 1990's and hopefully you are discussing these issues with a therapist in addition to other fans on music message boards.
sirthx2
Blowing Advance from Record Label

Post by sirthx2 »

I think Jon has the band on salary and they come play when needed.
100% Phil is on salary. But what is it? :-) 1/4 mil? half mil?
"Most rock journalism is people who can't write, interviewing people who can't talk, for people who can't read." - Frank Zappa

"If you don't like The Darkness, you suck at music listening." - Michelish circa 2021
Rocker4Real

Post by Rocker4Real »

Bono Nettencourt wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 7:41 am
Their old contract in the 80s said Tico and Dave have .5 percent or 1 percent each. Who knows what it is now? I'm sure they get a high salary on top of whatever their percentage is.
keyofgee
Headlining Clubs

Post by keyofgee »

i just saw where Jon said he hired them all from the word go. they were never a "band" . all hired guns and paid well.
tooth
Playing Shitty Clubs in a Van

Post by tooth »

Rocker4Real wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 8:37 am

Their old contract in the 80s said Tico and Dave have .5 percent or 1 percent each. Who knows what it is now? I'm sure they get a high salary on top of whatever their percentage is.
Stand up move by Jon.
In his book, Steve Gorman/Black Crowes original drummer claims he lobbied hard for 1% & it wasn't about the money. His reasoning, although he didn't write anything, he was the one in the room with the brothers when they were writing/arranging the songs & felt, as a show of good faith, they should cut him in. The brothers weren't having it though, citing if they give him 1%, he'll know how much they make & want more.
Ozzy Stradlin
Playing Decent Clubs in a Bus

Post by Ozzy Stradlin »

All indications I’ve seen are that the other Bon Jovi members have been salaried from day one (plus small percentages of the business, later) & that Jon was/is the only one who’s even on the record contract.

That said, Sambora got his publishing $$ for songwriting - as did David - but that’s separate.
inextrem
Cockblocked by Poison

Post by inextrem »

Rocker4Real wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 8:37 am

Tico & Richie got 1.0. David & Alec got a 0.5
SterileEyes1
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by SterileEyes1 »

This honestly sounds frighteningly low to play music for a living at that level. Even “doing what you love”.
My Video Covers: https://www.youtube.com/@therealjeffstein/

"Diary Of A Madman"
"Aja"
"Atlas, Rise!"
“Sludge Factory”
"Locomotive"

My Original Music: https://jeffstein.bandcamp.com
Bob Sacamano
Headlining Clubs

Post by Bob Sacamano »

HueyRamone wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 8:01 am$766
/thread
"I don't have any beliefs or allegiances. I don't believe in this country, I don't believe in religion, or a god, and I don't believe in all these man-made institutional ideas"

-- George Carlin
killdrum
Opening for Slaughter

Post by killdrum »

pieceofme wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 3:32 pm

:roll:
cowpins
Platinum Artist

Post by cowpins »

SterileEyes1 wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 4:02 pm This honestly sounds frighteningly low to play music for a living at that level. Even “doing what you love”.
Was thinking the same thing, then thought about how many touring musicians these country bands have. That's a whole lot of people to transport around and accommodate. But to your point, doing a 90 show run is only 45K on the HIGH end of $500 a show, and that does seem low to be out with some of the acts that he mentioned who you'd think were getting a pretty decent guarantee. But what do I know. I buy vinyl from the Tuff dude.
"bus problems come on man so boring we have our bus its awesome and we r watching judge judy on it right now tour is going great 14 more shows to go see you out there rockin peeps not you garbageman you stay home" - HueyRamone, 7/3/12
SterileEyes1
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by SterileEyes1 »

cowpins wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 3:03 am
SterileEyes1 wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 4:02 pm This honestly sounds frighteningly low to play music for a living at that level. Even “doing what you love”.
Was thinking the same thing, then thought about how many touring musicians these country bands have. That's a whole lot of people to transport around and accommodate. But to your point, doing a 90 show run is only 45K on the HIGH end of $500 a show, and that does seem low to be out with some of the acts that he mentioned who you'd think were getting a pretty decent guarantee. But what do I know. I buy vinyl from the Tuff dude.

Yeah I didn’t even do the math. That’s $45k before taxes for 4-5 months of work!

This reminds me of the Chris Rock bit about how the wealthy neighborhood he lives in has himself, Eddie Murphy, Jay-Z, and Mary J. Blige as the black residents, but his white neighbor next door is just a regular-ass dentist.

Like, I’ve got a post-grad job. Nothing particularly notable. I do ok money-wise. I don’t live in a fancy neighborhood or wear fancy clothes or drive a fancy car, but I’m comfortable enough and don’t even have to leave the couch for my job. That I (and a lot of us, probably) make significantly more than the most coveted music gigs out there, while not working nearly as hard, is ridiculous.
My Video Covers: https://www.youtube.com/@therealjeffstein/

"Diary Of A Madman"
"Aja"
"Atlas, Rise!"
“Sludge Factory”
"Locomotive"

My Original Music: https://jeffstein.bandcamp.com
ParaDime77

Post by ParaDime77 »

“Had a bunch of off days when the headliner was flying to do radio shows and stuff so we had the agent book club shows around every off day. I don’t think we had a single day off without a show because that’s when the problems happen.”

What sort of things happen on an off day during a tightly scheduled run?
Everyone Is Someone Else's Bitch
Playboyliquor59
Recording Debut Album

Post by Playboyliquor59 »

ParaDime77 wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 4:31 pm “Had a bunch of off days when the headliner was flying to do radio shows and stuff so we had the agent book club shows around every off day. I don’t think we had a single day off without a show because that’s when the problems happen.”

What sort of things happen on an off day during a tightly scheduled run?
We didn’t have the same agent as the headliner so our agent booked us shows on the off days,if he could. If he couldn’t find something worth the commission, we reached out to other promoters and I made sure we always had something booked via social media or friends. The one off’s can really kill it in Merch even if the guarantee is low or a door deal. It beats sitting in van or getting a hotel and wasting money so we always try to play every off day regardless what it is and sometimes we make more money doing those vs the normal schedule. Some bands want to sit in hotel and chill but every band I TM on this level, we make the most out of every day because money is tight but also lucrative if you do things right.

It’s like the “how does faster pussycat afford a bus” those band guys get paid weekly, no hotels, catering at venues so they don’t need per diems or buy outs and Ubers and planes and whatever from place to place. It’s a math equation
LAglamrocker

Post by LAglamrocker »

Tour “life” sounds horrible.. not for me
Rather sit in spot on beach now near beach festival that has Sting at 9pm

Only 70* sunny.. don’t need starve myself for meals from venue. Just walked and got 12 inch meatball sub. Think I’ll start Fasterpussycat first 3 now.
Noticed they had box’s of Its It mint chocolate sandwiches..probably get those tomorrow

Rumor is Smackdown from France tonight is top 3 crowd ever#excited. Watching it alone and not in bus bunk with 15 other dudes going be great. Next stop tomorrow..maybe 1/2 down the road. Beachchair life