RIP Duane Eddy, possibly the original rock guitarist

The one that started it all. Spreading gossip and insults since 1998.

Moderator: Metal Sludge

GoodJudge
Playing Decent Clubs in a Bus

RIP Duane Eddy, possibly the original rock guitarist

Post by GoodJudge »

https://www.guitarworld.com/news/duane-eddy-dies-at-86

Duane Eddy, a pioneer of rock guitar famous for his twanging sound, and iconic, era-defining instrumentals like Rebel Rouser, has died at 86, the Arizona Republic reports. Eddy passed away at his home in Franklin, Tennessee, surrounded by family members.

Hugely influential to generations of rock guitar players, Eddy helped define an era, and establish the electric guitar as an instrument with a voice all its own.

Born in Corning, New York in 1938, Eddy took up the guitar at a young age. Shortly after his family's move to Arizona in 1951, Eddy met a popular local DJ who would play a critical role in his career, Lee Hazlewood.

In high school, Eddy formed a country duo, Jimmy & Duane, with a classmate. Chet Atkins was a particular influence on Eddy, which led to the latter purchasing Atkins' Gretsch signature model at the age of 19. Eddy would be synonymous with the company for the rest of his life.

At Hazlewood's urging, Eddy decided to write an instrumental tune (Hazlewood himself was influenced by the success of the hit instrumental, Raunchy). The result was 1957's Moovin' and Groovin', a minor hit that showcased Eddy's low-end-heavy riff-writing ability.

The following year, Eddy crafted the tune that would become his calling card, Rebel Rouser.

Aided by Audio Recorders studio's makeshift echo chamber (a 2,000-gallon water tank stationed in the studio's parking lot) and an unforgettable sax solo by Gil Bernal, Rebel Rouser fit the times like a glove.

Released the same year as Link Wray's similarly influential instrumental, Rumble, Rebel Rouser lived up to its name – capturing the nascent rock genre's rebellious attitude, and showing that the electric guitar was more capable of speaking for itself, melodically.

Rebel Rouser, Moovin' and Groovin', and other tunes that showcased Eddy's trademark tone, were grouped together in his 1958 debut album, the hugely successful Have ‘Twangy’ Guitar Will Travel.

Over the next five years, Eddy had an astounding run of commercial success, with 16 top 40 hits. By the mid-1960s, though, the guitarist's commercial success had waned in the face of the post-Beatles explosion, which itself was fueled by many guitarists Eddy had influenced.
dmbrocker
Signed to a Major Label Multi-Album Deal
Location: Rockin’ with Amber, Bradie, Laurine, Dokken, Ratt, Motley, Aerosmith, Rush, Poison…

Re: RIP Duane Eddy, possibly the original rock guitarist

Post by dmbrocker »

RIP, rebel rouser...
LAglamrocker wrote: Trixter is awesome but everyone has seen After The Rain video correct? That’s one of first things I’m going thank God for
Mojo
Playing First Stage at SludgeFest

Post by Mojo »

A Gretsch legend. RIP.
Rooster wrote: I hunt with a handgun.
pieceofme wrote: Yeah, Mojo is a lot of peoples favourite!
keyofgee wrote: I am a free thinker
Image Image
Dyslexicheart
Debut Album Goes Gold

Post by Dyslexicheart »

My dad's guitar hero. I've inherited a bunch of old Duane albums from the 50's from my dad, grew up on that stuff. RIP
HottKarl777
Playing Decent Clubs in a Bus

Post by HottKarl777 »

The stickiest of the icky. You want to smoke with the old boy Duane Eddy?