Judas Priest going to a 4 piece was all Rob's bonehead idea

The one that started it all. Spreading gossip and insults since 1998.

Moderator: Metal Sludge

HueyRamone
Playing First Stage at SludgeFest

Judas Priest going to a 4 piece was all Rob's bonehead idea

Post by HueyRamone »

I recently listened to Robs second book, and he said it was all his idea to see if a 1 guitar priest would be "even more powerful".

he said that they mixed some live songs with only Richie's guitars and thought they sounded great. He also thought it would give Ian more focus, and Ian is "very powerful".

Rob called up Sneapy and told him his services were no longer needed, and said he took it pretty well.
Once they released the statement the shit hit the fan with 100% negative reaction, so they had a damage control meeting on what to do, and most everyone was all "its your call, Rob" so they conferenced Sneapy in on the phone call, and his first words were: "So im back in, then?"

Why the fuck would half the guitars on stage make it more powerful? Why would anyone think that for a second.
Don't Damn Me wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2023 7:21 pm Dummy, are you aware that hydroxy-chloroqin and Ivermectin have since been proven effective?
LAglamrocker

Re: Judas Priest going to a 4 piece was all Rob's bonehead idea

Post by LAglamrocker »

Judas Priest should never listen to the fans
I’ve seen JP plenty of times . Those fans are icky
Not sure what Sneapy is but sounds worse than carrot juice(the worst juice ever)
Jani Lane and Bret Michaels should form a band called "Nelson II"
DangerZone
Debut Album Goes Gold

Post by DangerZone »

Priest would 100% be better with only Faulkner & no sneap on stage.

Bring back Kk or drop it to 1.
eddie lee roth
Playing a Package Tour in Arenas

Post by eddie lee roth »

I didn’t even know Rob had a second book out.
HueyRamone

Post by HueyRamone »

eddie lee roth wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 10:02 am I didn’t even know Rob had a second book out.
It was pretty good. Instead of the bog-standard format that all rock autobiographies must follow to the end of time, it is just him riffing on a lot of different subjects. He does go into Ken and Glenn never getting along from the get-go and that's pretty interesting. Says Glenn was from an upper class background and would wind him up intentionally with a smirk on his face, and KK grew up poor as dirt with a bit of a chip on his shoulder and would take the bait every time and flip out.
Don't Damn Me wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2023 7:21 pm Dummy, are you aware that hydroxy-chloroqin and Ivermectin have since been proven effective?
El Vampiro Blanco
Headlining Clubs

Post by El Vampiro Blanco »

All this stuff about how he thought it would be more powerful is BS.
They much more likely thought it would be a great way of cutting costs and clearly had no idea how strongly fans felt about Judas Priest having 2 guitars....
Anthrax442
Cockblocked by Poison

Post by Anthrax442 »

Functionally, I don't think it would make much difference. Richie plays 90% of the leads, and Andy just gets thrown the occasional bone, like the lead on Turbo Lover.

This isn't the old days when it was a true twin guitar attack, and KK and Glenn were trading off.

Personally, I think it works better from a live perspective to have guitarists on both sides of the stage (because Ian hasn't moved since he first got on stage 50 years ago), and I'm sure it probably sounds fuller to have rhythm and lead players, but would it have really changed anything? I dunno.
MurrayFiend wrote:Shit, deathcurse, you sure know how to make an exit.
FreddyFender
Headlining Clubs

Post by FreddyFender »

I wouldn't have minded it. A one-guitar situation can be very cool - sounding less produced and perfect wouldn't be the worst thing in this era of piped in guitars and backing tracks.

I doubt this was a cost saving measure because I doubt they're paying Sneap all that much.

If no KK, I'd have rather seen a one-guitar Priest.
eddie lee roth

Post by eddie lee roth »

HueyRamone wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 10:21 am
eddie lee roth wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 10:02 am I didn’t even know Rob had a second book out.
It was pretty good. Instead of the bog-standard format that all rock autobiographies must follow to the end of time, it is just him riffing on a lot of different subjects. He does go into Ken and Glenn never getting along from the get-go and that's pretty interesting. Says Glenn was from an upper class background and would wind him up intentionally with a smirk on his face, and KK grew up poor as dirt with a bit of a chip on his shoulder and would take the bait every time and flip out.
Thanks I’ll get the book now.
inextrem
Cockblocked by Poison

Post by inextrem »

As far as I'm concerned, they can fuck off, all of them.... and I like their albums.
GreatWhiteSnake

Post by GreatWhiteSnake »

HueyRamone wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 8:53 am I recently listened to Robs second book
What cause actually reading this literary masterpiece would be too taxing for your tiny noggin?
GWS video of the week Seven Seconds of Shred https://youtu.be/6DAqH3eKqEM?si=N2I9eU92_ovsb69d updated 3/9/24
https://soundcloud.com/crunch-104998557
HueyRamone

Post by HueyRamone »

GreatWhiteSnake wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 7:18 pm
HueyRamone wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 8:53 am I recently listened to Robs second book
What cause actually reading this literary masterpiece would be too taxing for your tiny noggin?
I listen to audiobooks in the car. Or when I work out. Or on a walk. Especially ones where the author narrates. Sorry that's not acceptable.
LAglamrocker

Post by LAglamrocker »

If you read book your life sucks- your life city is garbage
Listening to book while working out or long walks on beach is awesome..the hot girls come up telling you “you look awesome what are you listening to.”That’s when you tell them about the time Dangerous Toys opened for Judas Priest
Jani Lane and Bret Michaels should form a band called "Nelson II"
Ziggy Sawdust
Doing Package Tours in Theaters

Post by Ziggy Sawdust »

By cutting out baldy, they probably thought they would also appear less of a cover band.

But imagine what they are probably paying him compared to old Ken, the tightwads. Gotta keep Rob’s Arizona ranch up to spec.
Hell'sHungryChild wrote:
I have no desire to pay $150 to see an ant sized Ac/Dc and drink $12 beer cups.
risingfarce
Cockblocked by Poison

Post by risingfarce »

El Vampiro Blanco wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 10:23 am All this stuff about how he thought it would be more powerful is BS.
They much more likely thought it would be a great way of cutting costs and clearly had no idea how strongly fans felt about Judas Priest having 2 guitars....
With KK out of the band, there's more money in Rob's and Glenn's pockets.

Going down to only one guitarist meant that there would have been more money in Rob's pockets and it would have been the way to pay Glenn, who was not there 99% of the time.

It had nothing to do with "more power", it meant no salary, per diem, and insurance for a second guitarist.

It showed that Rob is really a greedy asshole, just like Glenn and Jayne.
kwf
Headlining Clubs

Post by kwf »

Anthrax442 wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 10:39 am Functionally, I don't think it would make much difference. Richie plays 90% of the leads, and Andy just gets thrown the occasional bone, like the lead on Turbo Lover.

This isn't the old days when it was a true twin guitar attack, and KK and Glenn were trading off.

Personally, I think it works better from a live perspective to have guitarists on both sides of the stage (because Ian hasn't moved since he first got on stage 50 years ago), and I'm sure it probably sounds fuller to have rhythm and lead players, but would it have really changed anything? I dunno.
What would've changed is that no one would be paying to see them as a 4p
Total Package
jens
Playing Decent Clubs in a Bus

Post by jens »

Rob had an idea, people hated it, he turned it back and apologised to everyone involved.
Pretty cool, could've easily blamed the manager but obviously he's a good guy.
CrankerBait
Playing Shitty Clubs in a Van

Post by CrankerBait »

jens wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 2:23 am Rob had an idea, people hated it, he turned it back and apologised to everyone involved.
Pretty cool, could've easily blamed the manager but obviously he's a good guy.
Fair enough, he didn't throw anybody under the bus for his idea. I suspect the reasons behind the 4 piece had everything to do with money, not power, but he owned it as being his bad idea.
HottKarl777
Playing Decent Clubs in a Bus

Post by HottKarl777 »

The guy is a fucking sodomite. Great decisions are not his forte.