What's so great about King's X Dogman?

The one that started it all. Spreading gossip and insults since 1998.

Moderator: Metal Sludge

SchenkerFan
Headlining Clubs

What's so great about King's X Dogman?

Post by SchenkerFan »

I've heard plenty of people claim this is their favourite King's X album and I don't get it. To me, it sounds as if they stripped themselves of the elements that made them awesome. I wouldn't go as far as saying it's a bad album, there's a couple of good songs on it but also quite a few that sound like a plodding mess. They come off as an uninspired Soundgarden imitator on this album. I prefer any of the first four albums to this.
kanister
Headlining Clubs

Re: What's so great about King's X Dogman?

Post by kanister »

SchenkerFan wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 12:02 am I've heard plenty of people claim this is their favourite King's X album and I don't get it. To me, it sounds as if they stripped themselves of the elements that made them awesome. I wouldn't go as far as saying it's a bad album, there's a couple of good songs on it but also quite a few that sound like a plodding mess. They come off as an uninspired Soundgarden imitator on this album. I prefer any of the first four albums to this.
Exactly. I wasn't happy about the release as a fan back then. To this day I very rarely put that album on.
Bono Nettencourt
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by Bono Nettencourt »

Any band that you have to be talked into liking is never worth the effort.
ijwthstd wrote: obviously you take this way too seriously and were deeply affected by what transpired in the early 1990's and hopefully you are discussing these issues with a therapist in addition to other fans on music message boards.
EzyRider
Doing Package Tours in Theaters

Post by EzyRider »

"In modern parlance, the term peanut gallery usually refers to a group of people voicing unsolicited and often uninformed opinions or criticisms. If you’ve been advised not to listen to the peanut gallery, you’re being cautioned not to let the noisy, usually negative, chatter of others distract you from your goals or duties"

https://grammarist.com/idiom/peanut-gallery/
It's good to be bad
It's the best time you'll ever have
What the hell is this ultra sad
Pray for your cool and work on that ass!
daveg
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by daveg »

To me, their 1st 5 albums are all fantastic. I really like Ear Candy as well. Rest of albums are pretty hit an miss.

Not sure why Dogman gets singled out as their best. The first 2 are "great'. They were original and fresh.
Dogman always seemed forced to be more heavy, but that would be my only complaint.

I'l only throw on Kings x a couple times a year, but when I do, I'll usually go through the discography in order
SchenkerFan
Headlining Clubs

Post by SchenkerFan »

daveg wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 9:05 am To me, their 1st 5 albums are all fantastic. I really like Ear Candy as well. Rest of albums are pretty hit an miss.

Not sure why Dogman gets singled out as their best. The first 2 are "great'. They were original and fresh.
Dogman always seemed forced to be more heavy, but that would be my only complaint.

I'l only throw on Kings x a couple times a year, but when I do, I'll usually go through the discography in order
I've never looked much beyond their early releases. Did they continue with the sound they established on Dogman or did they ever return to the classic sound?
daveg
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by daveg »

SchenkerFan wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 9:48 am
daveg wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 9:05 am To me, their 1st 5 albums are all fantastic. I really like Ear Candy as well. Rest of albums are pretty hit an miss.

I've never looked much beyond their early releases. Did they continue with the sound they established on Dogman or did they ever return to the classic sound?
Honestly, they are all over the place after Ear Candy. Some really strong songs, but a ton of filler. Ogre Tones is probably the best of the bunch. Their comeback album XV is pretty good as well.
If you pick through the later albums, you could make 1 really strong record.
Taking a quick look, these would be my picks for their best
If you take a listen, You'll notice that the sound is all over the place.

Little Bit of Soul
Groove Machine
She's Gone Away
Black Like Sunday
Fish Bowl man
If
Hurricane
Rock Pile
Alone
Danger Zone
Honesty
alleyrulez
Platinum Artist

Post by alleyrulez »

I liked the title track quite a bit, and "Black The Sky" was pretty good, as was "Pillow", but the album isn't one of my favorites. the Soundgarden comparison someone made is pretty spot on.

IMO, they've never done anything that even approaches the greatness of those first four albums, and the releases from 1998 to 2001 were pretty horrible.

2008's "XV" wasn't bad, "Go Tell Somebody" and "Julie" are awesome.

it took them 14 years to release a follow-up to that, so I was expecting it to be amazing.

it wasn't.
Last edited by alleyrulez on Sun May 05, 2024 2:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
VicStelly
Playing Shitty Clubs in a Van

Post by VicStelly »

One of my favorite bands. They tanked the Metal Blade contract with shit releases. Anyone remember “Charlie Sheen?”

Each of their solo albums contain a song or two that would be heard and remembered if it was on a Kings X record.
aznsquirt
Playing Decent Clubs in a Bus

Post by aznsquirt »

I know it's a different album, but "Over My Head" is the only song I've ever had that gives me anxiety, and I have no idea.

I don't hate Kings X, but I've never seen a band that people want to like so bad that they decide they like them before they even listen to them. And then they're medicore/decent and people are like "yeah man, Kings X rules".
daveg
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by daveg »

aznsquirt wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 5:10 pm I know it's a different album, but "Over My Head" is the only song I've ever had that gives me anxiety, and I have no idea.

I don't hate Kings X, but I've never seen a band that people want to like so bad that they decide they like them before they even listen to them. And then they're medicore/decent and people are like "yeah man, Kings X rules".
They are one of my favorite bands ever, but I 100% get that they are not for everyone. Being lumped in with the hair metal scene surely didn't help. They had critical accalaim ,some small hits and got on some massive tours, so not like they didn't have their fair shot.

I usually hate less popular bands that critics love....Just love me some Kings X.

Now, having a song give me anxiety...that's a new one... :o
Gotta figure out if I have a song like that.
JamesHetfieldsAcneScars
Cockblocked by Poison

Post by JamesHetfieldsAcneScars »

I hated Kings X before dogman came out. I thought their earlier stuff was crap. I saw them open up for Motley Crue on the 94 tour and was blown away. They were playing the dogman stuff and it sounded so heavy. I thought wow is this the same band? I bought the dogman cd and loved every song. That album was like a new beginning for them. I thought the next two albums ear candy and tape head were pretty good too. Still can't stand the earlier albums though.
Van Ailin'
Headlining Clubs

Post by Van Ailin' »

Nothing. I enjoy 2-3 songs from it, but it is largely absent the things I really enjoy most in King's X. Their stuff works a LOT better with the 3-part harmonies.
aznsquirt
Playing Decent Clubs in a Bus

Post by aznsquirt »

daveg wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 5:27 pm
aznsquirt wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 5:10 pm I know it's a different album, but "Over My Head" is the only song I've ever had that gives me anxiety, and I have no idea.

They are one of my favorite bands ever, but I 100% get that they are not for everyone. Being lumped in with the hair metal scene surely didn't help. They had critical accalaim ,some small hits and got on some massive tours, so not like they didn't have their fair shot.

I usually hate less popular bands that critics love....Just love me some Kings X.

Now, having a song give me anxiety...that's a new one... :o
Gotta figure out if I have a song like that.
Haha, it's honestly super strange. I mean, it's a pretty weird/dissonant progression etc., shrug.

They're def a band I could listen to for the most part, I just don't end up wanting to listen to them again afterwards.

And I'm biased by having had a bunch of "musician" friends who would so "oh man, Kings X rules" and then I'd say "when's the last time you listened to them" and they couldn't tell me. There was a lot of "if you're a musician you have to say you like Kings X" going on back then.
Indy_Rob
Headlining a Theater Tour

Post by Indy_Rob »

I've never heard a song of theirs that I like. They opened for the MC94 tour and I can't remember anything about them. I had an acquaintance that swore I needed to listen to them because I'd love them. He went as far as to burn their entire discography to CD for me (this was about 20 years ago). I couldn't be bothered to listen to them after spinning a couple tracks that did nothing for me.