Frank Thomas Retires.....

A place to talk about sports, athletes and jock itch.

Moderator: Metal Sludge

DenimAndLeather
Playing Decent Clubs in a Bus

Re: Frank Thomas Retires.....

Post by DenimAndLeather »

Good for him. Hope he enjoys retirement
johnk5150
Signed to a Major Label Multi-Album Deal

Post by johnk5150 »

DOWN2WHISKEY wrote:IMO a 1st ballot HOF'er!! In his prime he was a helluva player and WAS NOT juiced!! Seems like a genuine good guy!!

He was a cock. He even admitted it in interviews yesterday that he was a bitter sonofabitch so that blows the genuine good guy theory away.

That said, he was a hella 2 tool player. Maybe the only 2 tool player that will make it on the 1st ballot.
He's like the Liberace of bass & pot.

$tevil
Lardbucket

Post by Lardbucket »

I agree with JohnK - Frank was a dour prick during his glory days, which was a shame. He seems to actually be a nice guy, which just makes it more of a shame. He could have owned Chicago instead of that puffed-up clown Sosa.

Frank was one of those guys you stopped what you were doing to watch at the plate. He had a terrific eye for the strike zone, and of course massive power. He was an okay-at-best 1B, but once he hurt his arm there was no more need for his glove. I'm glad he got a ring with the 2005 Sox - he only played in like 35 games, but he hit a few meaningful bombs while he was in there.

If he's not a first-ballot Hall entry, it's only because some of the voters are retarded and don't vote for first-ballot guys at all.
A proud Steve Jones nutswinger since 1977.
johnk5150

Post by johnk5150 »

Lardbucket wrote:I agree with JohnK - Frank was a dour prick during his glory days, which was a shame. He seems to actually be a nice guy, which just makes it more of a shame. He could have owned Chicago instead of that puffed-up clown Sosa.

Frank was one of those guys you stopped what you were doing to watch at the plate. He had a terrific eye for the strike zone, and of course massive power. He was an okay-at-best 1B, but once he hurt his arm there was no more need for his glove. I'm glad he got a ring with the 2005 Sox - he only played in like 35 games, but he hit a few meaningful bombs while he was in there.

If he's not a first-ballot Hall entry, it's only because some of the voters are retarded and don't vote for first-ballot guys at all.
He ha 12 Homers in 105 ABs in 2005. He set the tone for how the rest of the Sox would go on to play the year they won.

My only question of how Frank is regarded on that 1st ballot has to do with his being a DH more than half his career. Going onto the ballot with Maddux and Glavine can't help him.

He changed my mind in his interviews yesterday because he seemed geniunely sorry for the way he acted here. I know for a fact that Reinsdorf called in a lot of favors to both papers begging them not to run certain interviews. I've heard some of that stuff and you'd swear Frank was bipolar or something.

$tevil
VincesGarterbelt
Recording Debut Album

Post by VincesGarterbelt »

Living on the South Side of Chicago Frank WAS baseball to me. Man this is like my youth starting to leave me lol. Once Griffey retires its over. I know he was a baby and kind of a jerk at times but for quite a few years he WAS White Sox baseball. WIthout him less people would be Sox fans. I have been a partial season ticket holder for 7 years and almost didnt renew after they let Frank go. Not because they let him go but because of the way Kenny Williams slammed him in the papers. Kenny you are a GM and saying shit like "Franks and idiot and should stay out of White Sox business" pissed me off. Dude for alot of years he was the only draw the Sox had. Oh well. He should make the hall of fame and I believe he will. His numbers as far as hitting goes are unreal. Plus he did it clean. Unlike Giambi who stole the MVP from Frank in 2000. I have my tickets for Fank Thomas day August 29,2010. Im gonna dust off the old number 35 jersey and say good bye to the greatest hitter in Sox history.
"If you ever speak to me like that again,you'd better be wearing a cup" Eddie Van Halen
Lardbucket

Post by Lardbucket »

It just seemed like Frank wouldn't let himself enjoy the ride. He robbed himself of some really good times, I think.
A proud Steve Jones nutswinger since 1977.
VincesGarterbelt
Recording Debut Album

Lardbucket wrote:It just seemed like Frank wouldn't let himself enjoy the ride. He robbed himself of some really good times, I think.

Yeah he always did seem kind of serious didnt he.
"If you ever speak to me like that again,you'd better be wearing a cup" Eddie Van Halen
Crazy Levi

Post by Crazy Levi »

VincesGarterbelt wrote:Living on the South Side of Chicago Frank WAS baseball to me. Man this is like my youth starting to leave me lol. Once Griffey retires its over. y.
Griffey HASN'T retired? I figured he'd been done for years.
JakeYonkel
Headlining Clubs

Post by JakeYonkel »

Crazy Levi wrote:
VincesGarterbelt wrote:Living on the South Side of Chicago Frank WAS baseball to me. Man this is like my youth starting to leave me lol. Once Griffey retires its over. y.
Griffey HASN'T retired? I figured he'd been done for years.
He HAS been done for years, performance-wise.

The White Sox traded for him at the end of '08 and actually played him in center field a bit. Bad.

Then Seattle has brought him back 2 straight years on a nostalgia trip. He's got nothing left.
Punk
Headlining Clubs

Post by Punk »

My 2nd favorite player of all time. He's a HOFer, for sure.
johnk5150

Post by johnk5150 »

VincesGarterbelt wrote:
Lardbucket wrote:It just seemed like Frank wouldn't let himself enjoy the ride. He robbed himself of some really good times, I think.

After the strike when you could buy a cheap seat and sit anywhere the fuck you wanted at Comiskey, sitting behind the Sox dugout was the best. Frank had a presence in the FUCKING batters box. He was just this larger than life 'must-see-tv' guy. Has anyone that big had that kind of hand-eye coordination?

$tevil
hairmetalhasbeen
Headlining Clubs

Post by hairmetalhasbeen »

I had no idea he was even active, i though he retired at least 3 years ago...nonetheless, his numbers are fantastic, and being in the top 20 all time homerun hitters makes him a sure HOF...too bad he was a prick in his prime...
Heenan Snuka
Playing a Package Tour in Arenas

Post by Heenan Snuka »

Frank was never a prick...he was genuine humble southern guy, and so naturally, when u get slammed in the big city for stupid stuff, ur gonna react...he was a little more honest than most and I loved that and I supported him 100%

I am still mad Toronto pulled the rug from under him when he still had a lot left in the tank...that made no sense to me...his career numbers could have been even more gaudy
Stoner wrote:
...we stopped at a restaurant to eat and I was wearing a Sludge shirt. Someone came up and asked me if I read the messageboard - I touched cloth for a split second and then said the shirt was my husband's and just looked at them retardedly.
Leppardmania

Post by Leppardmania »

Never liked the guy. He always seemed more concerned about his own individual stats than about wins/losses.

That being said, yes......he's a HOFer......probably not 1st ballot, though.

RambOWNED!!!
Hell'sHungryChild
Headlining Clubs

Post by Hell'sHungryChild »

Leppardmania wrote:Never liked the guy. He always seemed more concerned about his own individual stats than about wins/losses.

?! Of course he is, and will be 1st try
All Heil hell
killeverything
A Drinking Fan With A Baseball Problem

Post by killeverything »

Hell'sHungryChild wrote:
Leppardmania wrote:Never liked the guy. He always seemed more concerned about his own individual stats than about wins/losses.

?! Of course he is, and will be 1st try
Probably not, he spent a large portion of his career as a DH. Something the BBWAA looks down upon ( remember it was recently they started giving closers/BP guys accolades ). He has HOF enshrinement stats and will be in.

I think that since he's on the ballot with Maddox and Glavine, they'll not vote him in the first one since he was a DH a lot.
Punk
Headlining Clubs

Post by Punk »

The best years of his career (91-97, where he hit .300, scored 100 runs, 100 RBIs, .500 slugging, .400 OBP, 100 walks, and 20 HRs, only player in history to do that 7 years in a row) were overwhelmingly spent as a 1B. Obviously as he aged he spent more and more time as a DH.
VincesGarterbelt
Recording Debut Album

johnk5150 wrote:
VincesGarterbelt wrote:

After the strike when you could buy a cheap seat and sit anywhere the fuck you wanted at Comiskey, sitting behind the Sox dugout was the best. Frank had a presence in the FUCKING batters box. He was just this larger than life 'must-see-tv' guy. Has anyone that big had that kind of hand-eye coordination?

I could remember going to games in the 90's,after the strike, and getting upper deck tickets. Being a teenager that was all i could afford. More than once we were told to go to the lower deck and sit where ever we wanted. The used to close the upper levels all the time. When someone would hit a homerun into left field it would take someone 15 minutes to get to the ball. Wow. They were a dying team for sure. Thank god they won the World Series in 05 or it would still be an empty park. They are still the second team here in Chicago and probably always will be. Its a shame because they are the better team.