So the Nets are gonna move to Newark THEN to Brooklyn....

A place to talk about sports, athletes and jock itch.

Moderator: Metal Sludge

Tymaster
Signed to a Major Label Multi-Album Deal

So the Nets are gonna move to Newark THEN to Brooklyn....

Post by Tymaster »

LouDoo wrote:Neon has to be the most active poster who actually contributes the least, despite all the threads he starts. He has no redeeming value. He's completely useless.
Garbageman
Trashsocioculturist
Location: This is gonna be one hell of a horse race, cuz I'm riding a cheetah!

Re: So the Nets are gonna move to Newark THEN to Brooklyn....

Post by Garbageman »

Not the worse move I've seen.

They'll draw better further out towards the Jersey 'burbs than they do in the shadow of the city. And that's regardless of their crappy record. People in Jersey know not to embrace them too much be it the Meadowlands or Newark since they're Brooklyn bound.

They're bound to be losing some fans as it is when they eventually move into the new digs.

The Meadowlands is an antiquated arena. Plus the grounds there will be a mess with the dismantling of the old Giants Stadium for the next year or so anyhow. I'm sure the new businesses establishing themselves by the Prudential Center like restaurants and shopping areas appreciate the increased number of events even if it's temporary.

And hey, may as well play in a state of the art building while you're in the middle of a shit storm!
radiobed wrote:The bottom line is Sleek is so far from credible when discussing Poison and their impact.
"I had to work hard for my yacht. I even played with Don Dokken." Bobby Blotzer
LAglamrocker
Playing First Stage at SludgeFest

Post by LAglamrocker »

im jumping on the Brooklyn bandwagon when they move there, will they be the Nets still? they should change the name
Jani Lane and Bret Michaels should form a band called "Nelson II"
Tymaster

Post by Tymaster »

Garbageman wrote:Not the worse move I've seen.

They'll draw better further out towards the Jersey 'burbs than they do in the shadow of the city. And that's regardless of their crappy record. People in Jersey know not to embrace them too much be it the Meadowlands or Newark since they're Brooklyn bound.

They're bound to be losing some fans as it is when they eventually move into the new digs.

The Meadowlands is an antiquated arena. Plus the grounds there will be a mess with the dismantling of the old Giants Stadium for the next year or so anyhow. I'm sure the new businesses establishing themselves by the Prudential Center like restaurants and shopping areas appreciate the increased number of events even if it's temporary.

And hey, may as well play in a state of the art building while you're in the middle of a shit storm!
Actually, looking at it from that perspective, I'd say you're right. May as well make some money while you wait for your new home.
What sport is worse with "franchise free agency," the NBA or the NHL?
LouDoo wrote:Neon has to be the most active poster who actually contributes the least, despite all the threads he starts. He has no redeeming value. He's completely useless.
JakeYonkel
Headlining Clubs

Post by JakeYonkel »

I'm gonna laugh if they become the New York Nets.

Jersey's had the Giants and Jets for 30+ years and still can't the name.
Tymaster

Post by Tymaster »

JakeYonkel wrote:I'm gonna laugh if they become the New York Nets.

Jersey's had the Giants and Jets for 30+ years and still can't the name.
Gotta love the irony!
They have to be the New York Nets. "Brooklyn Nets" doesn't sound right.....
Tenacious_Dio
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by Tenacious_Dio »

LAglamrocker wrote:im jumping on the Brooklyn bandwagon when they move there, will they be the Nets still? they should change the name
Umm, what?

Garbageman
Trashsocioculturist
Location: This is gonna be one hell of a horse race, cuz I'm riding a cheetah!

Post by Garbageman »

Adding to the story, LeBron & Co came to the Meadowlands this week and pretty much packed the house...

And most of the crowd left early.

The NYC press pretty much condemned the building itself more than LeBron basically having a slow "practice" game against what looked like a high school team in the Nets.
radiobed wrote:The bottom line is Sleek is so far from credible when discussing Poison and their impact.
"I had to work hard for my yacht. I even played with Don Dokken." Bobby Blotzer
Anne_Thrax
Doing Package Tours in Theaters

Post by Anne_Thrax »

I'd actually rather do my taxes than attend a Nets game:

March 2, 2010
Nets Will Offer Free Tax Preparation as a Game Promotion

By KEN BELSON
With just six victories this season, the Nets are threatening to compile the worst record in N.B.A. history. But Nets executives are still trying to persuade fans to attend the team’s last 12 home games.

Their latest promotion will be unveiled Friday, when the Nets play the Orlando Magic. New Jersey residents 18 or older who attend the game will get a coupon that they can redeem at a Roni Deutch Tax Center to get their state income tax done free.

Representatives of Roni Deutch Tax Centers — there are nine in the New York area — will be at the game to answer tax-related questions.

Alas, the Nets will not be paying their fans’ tax bills, and a similar coupon can be downloaded from Roni Deutch’s Web site. Deutch charges $29 to prepare a state income tax return and $185 for a federal return.

Still, Roni Deutch says she hopes that if her company prepares fans’ state tax forms free, some of them will pay to have their federal income taxes done as well. She also had no trouble linking her fortunes to the worst team in the N.B.A.; in fact, she said she relished the chance.

“It’s easy to jump on the Lakers’ bandwagon,” said Deutch, who claims to have been the first girl to play Little League baseball on an all-boys team in her home state, California. “The hallmark of a strong company is one that aligns with young companies. I’m a betting woman, and I think the Nets are going to win a championship this decade.”
UtahRatt
Playing First Stage at SludgeFest

Post by UtahRatt »

Funny how all the NY stepchild teams sound alike, Net's, Met's and the Jet's.
poizond13 wrote:I have been very bummed out, sad and shocked for most of the night
Artemis2085 wrote:so I blurt out "I love you Paul!
Atomicpunk18 wrote:You see Black Crowes music has gotten me laid multiple times.
Tymaster

Post by Tymaster »

UtahRatt wrote:Funny how all the NY stepchild teams sound alike, Net's, Met's and the Jet's.
LOL. Aren't the "Met's" just short for "Metropolitan's" a former NYC area baseball team? Then, a few years later, the "Jets" chose their name b/c it made sense to use that name since it rhymed with the baseball team with whom they would be sharing a stadium, and Shea Stadium is rather close to LaGuardia, thus you could often see jets landing and taking off. But, the Nets came into the ABA a few years after the Jets, so I am assuming they just aped the rhyme. So, there is an actual story there. If I am wrong on any of this NY/NJ sludge sports fans, please feel free to correct me.
Tenacious_Dio
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by Tenacious_Dio »

UtahRatt wrote:Funny how all the NY stepchild teams sound alike, Net's, Met's and the Jet's.
Funny, I never thought of them as "stepchild" teams, but I guess they are. Throw in the Islanders, and I grew up rooting for all of them. :lol:
Tymaster

Post by Tymaster »

Tenacious_Dio wrote:
Funny, I never thought of them as "stepchild" teams, but I guess they are. Throw in the Islanders, and I grew up rooting for all of them. :lol:
The Islanders should change their name to something ending in "ets."