The association football 2009/10 thread...

A place to talk about sports, athletes and jock itch.

Moderator: Metal Sludge

MickeyG
Doing 20 Questions with Metal Sludge

Re: The association football 2009/10 thread...

Post by MickeyG »

Super Diego Forlan!! :lol:
jellyheadrobertson
Playing Frat Parties

Post by jellyheadrobertson »

MickeyG wrote:Still expect Chelsea to win all their games though. I expect no fight from Liverpool. Rafa hates United more than anything.
Have you seen us play all year?? We were Shite. I cannot see a Liverpool victory barring a miracle. Against Athletico-Rafa takes our best player on the night off for El Zhar!? Then when we are down brings on a right back. I am so hoping he will leave.
MickeyG

Post by MickeyG »

I don't blame ya for wanting him out. He reckons he needs 75 mil to make the squad challenge again. I just hope if he does leave, Liverpool don't get Mourinho in his place. That would suck the big one!

On a side note, City and Spurs look to have beaten Liverpool for 4th. Against all my predictions. Props to both of them for not falling away. Should be a cracker when they face off on Wednesday.
Hellsinkey
Signed to a Major Label Multi-Album Deal

Post by Hellsinkey »

MickeyG wrote:Super Diego Forlan!! :lol:
Yeah. Ferguson fired him over wearing and wrong pair of shoes. :) I have a feeling Liverpool doesn't give a shit today. Benitez maybe leaving, their chance to fourth place minimal and giving ManU a chance at winning. :roll: That said, ManU should have won at Blackburn, that tie will cost a lot in the end. Let's see...
MickeyG

Post by MickeyG »

Yep, really can't complain about Chelsea winning the league as United were poor at Blackburn, and you can go back to losing at Burnley which was also a joke.

Liverpool are doing as expected though, getting owned on their own pitch. They've been horribly poor this season, yet the Yanks want 800 million pounds for the club! Only a moron would pay that knowing they need a new ground and at least 75 mil spent on the team, according to Rafa anyways.

United not winning the league might force Fergie to spend some money. Which would be a good thing as this squad ain't good enough.
Hellsinkey

Post by Hellsinkey »

Gerrard gave away the first to Chelsea. Can't excpect miracles from Wigan next time.
jellyheadrobertson
Playing Frat Parties

Post by jellyheadrobertson »

I know Liverpool need drastic changes but what about you Manc supporters? Who would you like to see gone? Would you keep Park? From what I saw Fletcher came into his own this year. Carrick-not so good.
Hellsinkey

Post by Hellsinkey »

Carrick and Berbatov could go, for a start. Maybe a trade for Modric and Bale. :)
pieceofme

Post by pieceofme »

Hellsinkey wrote:Carrick and Berbatov could go, for a start. Maybe a trade for Modric and Bale. :)
Two ex spurs players for two current spurs players.

I like Modric. A little lighweight but he has talent. No need for Bale when we have Evra. Although he is starting to show promise as a winger. Probably be overpriced cause hes British though.
GrayAntiMatter wrote:EVH

Zappa is pure cult status shit. He is to music what Bruce fucking Campbell is to acting....
MickeyG

Post by MickeyG »

United's squad needs a big overhaul, just like Liverpool's.

Let Owen leave and sell Berbatov. Macheda had injuries this year, but if he can stay fit he deserves a chance at being third or 4th striker. At this level you really need 4 decent central forwards for the season. The likes of Diouf should only move up if there's an injury to the main 4, or of course if they've done enough to deserve it. I'd like to see money spent on replacing Berba, a more center forward goal scoring type.

I'm not happy with the midfield. Fergie keeps switching between 4-4-2 and 5 in midfield. I think he'd really prefer 4-4-2 but we keep getting overrun by teams playing 5 whose extra player gets forward to join the lone striker quickly. So he goes like-for-like to stop this. The left side has never been settled since Giggs was brought inside more. Nani's form in the second half of the season was inspiring, and for some of it he was on the left, but I'm not sure he's comfortable out there permanently. Obertan is really right sided too, and Valencia did a decent job on the right. So a decision needs to be made on the left. Carrick isn't good enough and should be sold. Hopefully Hargreaves can come back and stay fit for the "ball winning" role, and share time for that with Fletcher, who if he just sticks to kicking people and not be a superstar he will be alright. There'll be some games where both of them will be needed too. I though Scholes did decent against Sunderland, but we all know he and Giggs are on borrowed time and should be used to fill gaps when needed. I don't rate Park, but he did have some decent games this season. Every dog has his day, I guess. Basically, the left needs sorting and an upgrade or 2 with a decent central attacking midfielder who can run at people would be nice.

In a perfect world I'd like to see O'Shea and Brown replaced in the defence, but as long as they are just fill ins and preferably in the full back positions they can stay. Ferdinand's injuries are a concern. Which is probably why Smalling was signed. Evans is a decent fill in, and should get better and better, I hope he makes it to be a top player. Evra stays on the left, and I'd keep Rafael on the right. Old man Neville can fill in once in a while when needed.

A decision needs to be made at goalkeeper. VDS isn't getting any younger. They keep getting linked with keepers, and I don't think Foster is good enough. Kuszczak is a good back up, but is he a No.1? I think I'd sign someone.
MickeyG

Post by MickeyG »

Just another thought, United should also get rid of Mickey Phelan and get a better assistant.
SLASH1976
Doing Package Tours in Theaters

Post by SLASH1976 »

Is it true they gotta pay Benitez 17 million euros if they fire him ?
SAVE THE EARTH IT'S THE ONLY PLANET WITH BEER

(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy & paste him into your
(")_(") sig to help him gain world domination

MickeyG

Post by MickeyG »

SLASH1976 wrote:Is it true they gotta pay Benitez 17 million euros if they fire him ?
Something like that, I think he signed a 20 mil pound deal last year.

The bigger problem for the Yanks is in selling the club for what they think it's worth. Hicks wants 800 million pounds, he ain't getting that. There's 351 million in debt, and no new ground yet, no champions league football, no silverware and a squad that needs investment.
coatsy
Opening for Slaughter

Post by coatsy »

if anyone's interested, rangers won the annual two horse race that is the scottish premier league.
coatsy
Opening for Slaughter

Post by coatsy »

turns out malcolm young was ibrox today to watch rangers win the scottish league title.

http://www.rangers.co.uk/articles/20100 ... 24_2047398
Hellsinkey

Post by Hellsinkey »

Well, that was the season. :roll: Amazing that there was a point's difference in the end, when Chelsea did 17 more goals. You can't expect to win after losing two major goal scorers. Rooney really pulled the team higher than I expected. I didn't doubt Chelsea winning, but it being this close and Liverpool failing totally was surprising.
pieceofme

Post by pieceofme »

Hellsinkey wrote:Well, that was the season. :roll: Amazing that there was a point's difference in the end, when Chelsea did 17 more goals. You can't expect to win after losing two major goal scorers. Rooney really pulled the team higher than I expected. I didn't doubt Chelsea winning, but it being this close and Liverpool failing totally was surprising.
My thoughts exactly.

Zappa is pure cult status shit. He is to music what Bruce fucking Campbell is to acting....
MickeyG

Post by MickeyG »

pieceofme wrote:
Hellsinkey wrote:Well, that was the season. :roll: Amazing that there was a point's difference in the end, when Chelsea did 17 more goals. You can't expect to win after losing two major goal scorers. Rooney really pulled the team higher than I expected. I didn't doubt Chelsea winning, but it being this close and Liverpool failing totally was surprising.
My thoughts exactly.
Me three. Very surprised United came as close as they did. If Ronaldo had stayed, United would have got over 90 points with ease. Hopefully, fergie will get his head out of his ass, move on some of the deadwood (Berba, Carrick), and spend some money.
SLASH1976

Post by SLASH1976 »

MickeyG wrote:
SLASH1976 wrote:Is it true they gotta pay Benitez 17 million euros if they fire him ?
Something like that, I think he signed a 20 mil pound deal last year.

The bigger problem for the Yanks is in selling the club for what they think it's worth. Hicks wants 800 million pounds, he ain't getting that. There's 351 million in debt, and no new ground yet, no champions league football, no silverware and a squad that needs investment.
Maybe something for some Arab prince or sheik :lol:

(\__/)

Hellsinkey

Post by Hellsinkey »

Either Cardiff or Blackpool from Wales to Premier League for the first time.
SeminiferousButtNoid
Certified Asshole

Post by SeminiferousButtNoid »

This thread isn't about fucking football! It's about soccer.
GreatWhiteSnake wrote:I'm 46 and my dad's 67 and we kiss each other on the mouth and my 9 yo old son and I do too. It's because we love each other. A lot. And could give a shit what anyone else thinks about us kissing on the mouth.
pieceofme

Post by pieceofme »

SeminiferousButtNoid wrote:This thread isn't about fucking football! It's about soccer.
Oh you mean the sport where the ball hardly touches the foot.

SLASH1976

Post by SLASH1976 »

Barcelona won La Liga !

(\__/)

MickeyG

Post by MickeyG »

Jose Mourinho to be the next Real Madrid boss in the next few weeks, then.

Jose will spend a few seasons there until he either falls out with the fans, players or President, or is sacked like everyone else seems to be at Madrid. This will fall nicely at the same time Sir Alex Ferguson calls it a day at Old Trafford, and Jose will be installed as his successor.
Hellsinkey

Post by Hellsinkey »

MickeyG wrote:Jose Mourinho to be the next Real Madrid boss in the next few weeks, then.

Jose will spend a few seasons there until he either falls out with the fans, players or President, or is sacked like everyone else seems to be at Madrid. This will fall nicely at the same time Sir Alex Ferguson calls it a day at Old Trafford, and Jose will be installed as his successor.
Nice idea, but I can't imagine anyone lasting seasons there.
MickeyG

Post by MickeyG »

I hope Fergie is playing mind games with his recent comments on this summer's transfer activity.

He reckons maybe one new signing this summer, which will be a blow if true.
Hellsinkey

Post by Hellsinkey »

Yeah I read about only one signing. :roll: It better be some fucking great striker. Berbatov failed to score against the top seven and in Europe.
Hellsinkey

Post by Hellsinkey »

Ferguson said Berbatov won't be sold. I think they should try him out as a midfielder. At least he can pass the ball and has assisted more than scored.
MickeyG

Post by MickeyG »

If there's no significant changes then I think a trophyless season beckons at Old Trafford.
Hellsinkey

Post by Hellsinkey »

Fergie said the team is good enough but blames the injuries. :roll: Next he'll probably say that if they scored once in Blackburn, they would have won. Which is sad but true.